Instructions for pw Toon?

AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
edited September 2016 in The Commons

I was inspired by some of the gallery images that use pw toon so I picked it up. Of course there is no documentation. Anyone know of any forum links, etc?

Post edited by AnotherUserName on

Comments

• ReadMe's\Poseworks\pwToon\index.html

If you use DAZ install manager. look at the file list and find this file. It shows the whole manual.

Unfortunately the link referenced in the read me doesn't work.

• MarcCCTx said:

ReadMe's\Poseworks\pwToon\index.html

If you use DAZ install manager. look at the file list and find this file. It shows the whole manual.

Unfortunately the link referenced in the read me doesn't work.

Oh geez! I glanced right over it and didnt even notice it in the folder. Thanks MarcCCTx.

• Poseworks, the original creator of pwToon, still has his website up and running. The explanation for what's what can be found here: http://www.poseworks.com/shaders/pwtoon/

If you need some presets, Crescent made an excellent set and they can be found here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/69733/favorite/21/DAZ-Studio/Crescents-pwToon-Cel-Shaders

I'm a big fan of pwToon and use it almost exclusively. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I am also a huge fan of PWToon. ;)

Granted, I like doing other styles a bunch, but I love the control it gives.

• Poseworks, the original creator of pwToon, still has his website up and running. The explanation for what's what can be found here: http://www.poseworks.com/shaders/pwtoon/

If you need some presets, Crescent made an excellent set and they can be found here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/69733/favorite/21/DAZ-Studio/Crescents-pwToon-Cel-Shaders

I'm a big fan of pwToon and use it almost exclusively. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Excellent. Ill definetely check those out. I dont know why I had trouble with it earlier. Its just a shader package but for some reason I couldnt get them to apply(?) and render. 4.8 issue? User error (probably).

• I am also a huge fan of PWToon. ;)

Granted, I like doing other styles a bunch, but I love the control it gives.

This is interesting. Just the base shaders are cool enough. Ill most defenitely have to play with the controls. Do I need to mess with things like gamma, etc? I never really figured that out about 3dl.

I never do. I usually make a double size render, take the output to 16 bit, shrink it, tweak tone, then convert back to 8 bit. I'm not sure the converting helps, but... doesn't hurt!
  • I never do. I usually make a double size render, take the output to 16 bit, shrink it, tweak tone, then convert back to 8 bit. I'm not sure the converting helps, but... doesn't hurt!

What do you mean by converting the output Will?

In Photoshop, Mode >

There's 8 bit per channel, which is what most image formats use. 8 bits means that there are 256 shades of red, blue, and green each.

PNG and TIF and a few other formats are capable of 16 bits.

Then HDR and EXR formats can handle 32 bits. One of the cool things about Iray is natively outputting 32 bit images.

The higher the 'color resolution,' the more you are able to manipulate brightness and other qualities without colors obviously separating into bands.

Theoretically, I think, taking an 8 bit image, converting it to 16 bit and then shrinking it SHOULD cause 2x2 blocks of colors to be interpolated into a broader range of colors than you'd get if you stayed in 8 bit. It's been suggested that I'm being silly. But hey.

Although, honestly, for PWToon I'm not sure much of that is necessary. I usually go double size simply to make the lines a little smoother.

I really like doing B&W lineart style. You can get most of the way there by choosing the 'Blueprints' preset and tweaking a few things.

My portfolio has a few PWToon results: http://willbear.deviantart.com/gallery/57434107/Portfolio

• My portfolio has a few PWToon results: http://willbear.deviantart.com/gallery/57434107/Portfolio

Cool. Ill check this out. Thanks for the info.

• Test render.

Isla.png
    800 x 640 - 161K
  • Test render.

Yay! You are now one of us...

• My portfolio has a few PWToon results: http://willbear.deviantart.com/gallery/57434107/Portfolio

Since Will's showing his gallery, I'll just point to my all-new signature. My deviantArt and Renderosity galleries have a lot of older stuff, but there's plenty of pwToon stuff all throughout my galleries. I experimented a lot until I found a look that I really liked.

Since Will's showing his gallery, I'll just point to my all-new signature. My deviantArt and Renderosity galleries have a lot of older stuff, but there's plenty of pwToon stuff all throughout my galleries. I experimented a lot until I found a look that I really liked.

Cool. Ill check out your gallery as well.

I definetely am having problems with pw Toon in ds 4.8. The shaders simply wont apply. Any thoughts?

'won't apply' ... could you be more specific? Like, it gives you an error message? It applies but nothing obvious happens? Which shaders are you trying? Are you actually rendering in 3DL and not Iray?

• Yah. I have everything set up right. 3dl, distant light, camera. Ive tried g2f, a4 and when I try to apply the shaders, I get a litlle loading pause and then, nothing. The surface settings just stay as they were. No change whatsoever.

However, since im tired of trouble-shooting for 4.8, I think im just going to install 4.9. Ive been planning to do so for awhile, I just havent gotten to it.

It's weird, because PWToon was out in, what, 4.6? Seems odd 4.8 would give you trouble that I'm not seeing in 4.9.

Again, how are you applying the shaders? Which specific presets are you applying? Try something dramatic, like 'blueprints.'

I mean, feel free to update to 4.9, I think it improves 3DL rendering and a number of other things.

But I strongly suspect that if you are having a problem, it's probably not the version and you'll encounter the same thing in 4.9. Probably. Maybe?

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
    edited September 2016

Well, my laptop is running 4.9 and it had no issues with pwToon. Thats why I originally created the thread. I was on my pc (4.8) and had the same issue I cant seem to resolve. So, seeing as how it works in 4.9 on my laptop anyways, and since I want the iray fixes, im just going to jump into 4.9.

Back in a moment...

edited September 2016
    Oooh. Weird! (And since so few people seem willing nowadays, I'll admit I was just wrong. Heh)
    Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited September 2016
    Oooh. Weird! (And since so few people seem willing nowadays, I'll admit I was just wrong. Heh)

Well, no change. 4.9 is installed and pwToon still does not work. Im at a bit of a loss here.

Wait, I have to update my lights and shaders. Im still using 4.8 stuff...

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300

It's weird, because PWToon was out in, what, 4.6? Seems odd 4.8 would give you trouble that I'm not seeing in 4.9.

Again, how are you applying the shaders? Which specific presets are you applying? Try something dramatic, like 'blueprints.'

PWToon was around long before 4.6, it came out in 2008, I'm pretty sure I bought it when it was released and June 2008 is the date of that order, it wasn't a Daz original then.

You will need to reinstall it when you update DS.

Try applying the Base then the Preset, make sure you have both the surface and the figure selected.

• scorpio said:

PWToon was around long before 4.6, it came out in 2008, I'm pretty sure I bought it when it was released and June 2008 is the date of that order, it wasn't a Daz original then.

You will need to reinstall it when you update DS.

Try applying the Base then the Preset, make sure you have both the surface and the figure selected.

No luck. Having some strange configuration issues. Going to start a new thread about it.

• So I filed a bug. It must be something about my computer or something that pwToon dosent like. There goes the morning...

Did you reinstall PWToon?

I know PWToon can be glitchy for some people.

Its working fine for me I'm using DS 4.9.2.70.

PWtoondragon.jpg
    900 x 636 - 107K

Just a thought you have got DS pointed to the place where PWToon installed to, I think I remember having problems with that once.

edited September 2016
    scorpio said:

Just a thought you have got DS pointed to the place where PWToon installed to, I think I remember having problems with that once.

I re installed. I believe that its in the right location. Im a manual installer so I tend to place things where I want them. Ill double check though.

Its in the right spot.

edited September 2016
    scorpio said:

So I have just the one folder.pwToon_DS4  and that has all of the assets (as far as I know). Listed in shader presets.