Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited September 2016

Oh Those look great, @TabascoJack! The space one in particular is fantastic! 

I really like that "Comic Stylize + weirdness" filter. Sadly I can't afford Filter Forge. I wonder if there is a similar filter available for us broke people who just have Photoshop? lol I'm really enjoying the NPRs so I might have to do some digging around and see if there are any freebie filters that can help give some of the looks that I'm after. :) If you guys know of any free filters that are kind of like the comic style one, please post the links! :D I'd love to check them out!

I know that inside Photoshop there is a filter called "poster edges" or some such that KIND OF gives that look - but it's a bit blobby and ugly - the FF one seams to give a much better result.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • @divamakeup  Wait awhile and FF will probably go on sale again.  It usually does.  The nice thing about FF filters is that you can change settings in each filter so things like borders can have a wide variety of looks from the same filter.  I'm not sure of any freebie filters for anything similar to Comic Stylize +weirdness.  It is a pretty cool filter.  

edited September 2016

@divamakeup  Wait awhile and FF will probably go on sale again.  It usually does.  The nice thing about FF filters is that you can change settings in each filter so things like borders can have a wide variety of looks from the same filter.  I'm not sure of any freebie filters for anything similar to Comic Stylize +weirdness.  It is a pretty cool filter.  

Thanks, Knittingmommy. I will have to keep an eye out for FF to go on sale then. :) I've heard a lot of good things about it. And from what I've seen it looks like it can do some pretty cool stuff. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • One of the weird things about the filterforge website is that sometimes discounts are different depending on the browser you are using.  I've had sales show up when I hit the site in Firefox or Safari, and not be there when I hit the site with Chrome.  

Don't know what that's about.

• And boom....I decided to see what happened if I hit the site with Internet Explorer.     80% discount, 1 day left.  You can get the Professional Edition for $79 instead of $399.   Or the Standard edition for $49.  If you're planning to use it for texture generation, Professional is the way to go as it does bump, diffuse, and normal map generation.  If you're just using it for postwork filtering, you can probably get by with the Standard version.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

I got it on 80% off the other week, as well...seems like it may be a software that the "normal" price is some type of sale price.  No-one ever pays list price.  Sort of like the content here at Daz...  cheeky

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Yes, FF goes on sale all the time, and I've also seen the change between different browsers. If you read through the FF forums, it's notorious for (almost) always being on sale. And don't do the subscription plan (I made the mistake of doing that a few years ago), definitely buy the Pro version. (They're not real happy about giving money back, but I got a refund on the Pro version because I had asked if they had fixed the previous problems, plus I bought it through PayPal. And since it still crashed on my setup, they refunded.)

• diomede said:

Yes, Carrara has an alternate render engine that uses simulated brush strokes. You can set the brush size, stroke length, stroke direction, randomness, and a bunch of other stuff.  Most people are more interested in photo-real so it is hard to find info for its NPR render engine from people who have tried it. 

It is indeed. The manual got me very confused.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

You know, I had mostly given up on post cartoon conversation, but that comic stylize + weirdness works pretty darn well.

• You know, I had mostly given up on post cartoon conversation, but that comic stylize + weirdness works pretty darn well.

It is, by far, my favorite of the filters I've found so far.  It has a lot of things the you can change, too, giving you a lot of control over the final look of your image.

My problem with most such filters is that the computer just doesn't do a good job distinguishing stuff that should be lines and stuff that isn't.

I'm not sure what wizardry this filter is doing, but it's being FAR smarter.

edited September 2016

And boom....I decided to see what happened if I hit the site with Internet Explorer.     80% discount, 1 day left.  You can get the Professional Edition for $79 instead of $399.   Or the Standard edition for $49.  If you're planning to use it for texture generation, Professional is the way to go as it does bump, diffuse, and normal map generation.  If you're just using it for postwork filtering, you can probably get by with the Standard version.

Sadly that's still WAY out of my budget. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • My problem with most such filters is that the computer just doesn't do a good job distinguishing stuff that should be lines and stuff that isn't.

I'm not sure what wizardry this filter is doing, but it's being FAR smarter.

I'll have to take a look at the actual filter.  I don't know how big or complicated it is to try and figure out how they did the line part.  I'm still just learning what each of the different blocks are and I've only followed a few tutorials on making my own filters.  But, given the options it has that you can change for the lines, it looks like it has more than two variables making up the lines and a few other things that help it figure out where the lines should be.  I had a lot of fun changing the filter controls until I got the look I wanted.  I just wish now I had saved it as preset!  I'm hitting myself in the head for that mistake!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
    edited September 2016

Hi, I just stumbled on this thread and I've been doing comic style art for a while now, but all in post in Photoshop. I'm also working on a comic book concept but now actually thinking of doing it realistically with Iray... Can't decide which way to go! I'm trying to recreate my main characters that were V4 into G3's... I already have a few pages done that were more comic book looking, but I was thinking of using those as flashbacks. I've been doing the more stylized comic books style art for years, trying to make my renders look LESS realistic and am now finally experimenting with realism! At a recent comic book convention where I was selling my art, I asked a bunch of people if they would accept a realistic looking comic and they all said yes, but comic book publishers are against it, saying there's an "Uncanny Valley," (google it LOL.) Anyway, I'm still on the fence and interested to hear about new shaders and rendering techniques because I'm getting kind of burned out on my usual techniques... I did just purchase 2 toon shaders that I'm looking forward to trying out to see if they'll fit with my concept...

Hey Alicia -

Your latest hi-key brexit images are fantastic! Did you use Colm's Hi-Key Studio Iray? (link for those interested)

http://www.daz3d.com/hi-key-studio-iray

I noticed that you are still producing NPR-ish images, too (Jungle Girl and Goth Fairy). I'm also interested in what is commercially viable as far as 3D renders go. Which way did you end up leaning for your comic? Looks like you're still straddling that fence - hope it's not gettin too uncomfy ;)

- Greg

Hi, sorry, I was away from this thread! Yes, Colm's high key and I'm still on the fence about which way to go, realistic or stylized. While I'm still playing, it often depends on how the render comes out. If it looks realistic, I try to make it look MORE realistic with Photoshop photo filters and usually B&W looks best. I'm still a newbie in DS, but have worked with Poser for years. If a render comes out not realistic or if the character (like Star) is a toon, then I stylize it. I actually like postwork better than the 3D rendering, especially with all the new high tech stuff in DS now because I'm way more arty than techie and sometimes I get so frustrated in DS but Photoshop is really relaxing... I keep going back and forth now with stylized vs realism but I'm a Gemini, so that's expected LOL! I haven't touched Poser since March when I started learning DS but I kind of miss it, but am a bit bored with V4 and it seems too complicated to get the Genesises in Poser and I don't know if you can blend all the morphs like you can in DS...

Anyway, here's cover I did a while ago...

image.jpeg
    477 x 738 - 242K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
    edited September 2016

And here is the full version of my avatar and a few more. I think I actually like doing stylized art a lot more! The Star 2 morph one I did really quickly, mostly to just cover up a weird morph because I over-morphed her and the mesh got distorted! I love postwork, you can fix all the mistakes!

image.jpeg
    733 x 792 - 148K
    image.jpeg
    663 x 1008 - 288K
    image.jpeg
    542 x 792 - 500K
    edited September 2016

And boom....I decided to see what happened if I hit the site with Internet Explorer.     80% discount, 1 day left.  You can get the Professional Edition for $79 instead of $399.   Or the Standard edition for $49.  If you're planning to use it for texture generation, Professional is the way to go as it does bump, diffuse, and normal map generation.  If you're just using it for postwork filtering, you can probably get by with the Standard version.

@Divamakeup, you don't need Filter Forge, just use poster edges in Photoshop and play with contrast, levels, saturation, etc... And hand digitally paint over your render, I think I read you did comic book art, just do it over your renders! If you have a Wacom great, but I mostly just do it with a mouse! I picked up some traditional art brushes here on sale for like $1.99 that I'm going to try and Deviant art has tons of free brushes but the regular ones that come with Photoshop are great too. I find the hand painting part, much more enjoyable than rendering actually.

Also, I get 11x17 or 12x16 prints made at my local printer for about $1.50. And this is LA, it's probably cheaper wherever you are, just put it on a cheap flash drive and bring it to a printer! 8x10 are about 50 cents :)

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited September 2016

I was kind of doodling yesterday over in the Technical Questions Help Forum as I was having some DS crashing issues and Richard was helping me out.  In all of the things he was having me try to figure it out, I ended up kind of doodling with this character.  I decided to add some lights and make him a real render and then went into Filter Forge and played around.  For those who may end up asking, FF filters used, in order, were Artification and Edges and Tones.  I think he turned out kind of cute for something I was just goofing off with trying to figure out a crashing problem.  Oh, and this was actually rendered in 3Delight which I don't really use much, but getting better at using, very, very slowly.  :)

edit: fixed spelling of filter. Note that the spelling for the filter is wrong in the uploaded filename.  

ToonVampireArtrification_EdgesTones.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 752K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
    I need to test how fast stripped down Iray renders are for heavily filtered stuff. I strongly suspect they might end up faster than 3dl... I usually go with 3dl for fast rendering when fine realism isn't important.
  • I was kind of doodling yesterday over in the Technical Questions Forum as I was having some DS crashing issues and Richard was helping me out.  In all of the things he was having me try to figure it out, I ended up kind of doodling with this character.  I decided to add some lights and make him a real render and then went into Filter Forge and played around.  For those who may end up asking, FF filters used, in order, were Artrification and Edges and Tones.  I think he turned out kind of cute for something I was just goofing off with trying to figure out a crashing problem.  Oh, and this was actually rendered in 3Delight which I don't really use much, but getting better at using, very, very slowly.  :)

One, two, three, four . . . four fabulaous bats! Ah ah ah ah

Your image looks great, Knittingmommy! I really should get more toon content like this, as I think it lends itself so well to NPR.

- Greg

• @algovincian  Thanks!  He was kind of fun to do.  I'm glad you like him and, YES, you really need more toon stuff!!!  ;)

• Hi, I just stumbled on this thread and I've been doing comic style art for a while now, but all in post in Photoshop. I'm also working on a comic book concept but now actually thinking of doing it realistically with Iray... Can't decide which way to go! I'm trying to recreate my main characters that were V4 into G3's... I already have a few pages done that were more comic book looking, but I was thinking of using those as flashbacks. I've been doing the more stylized comic books style art for years, trying to make my renders look LESS realistic and am now finally experimenting with realism! At a recent comic book convention where I was selling my art, I asked a bunch of people if they would accept a realistic looking comic and they all said yes, but comic book publishers are against it, saying there's an "Uncanny Valley," (google it LOL.) Anyway, I'm still on the fence and interested to hear about new shaders and rendering techniques because I'm getting kind of burned out on my usual techniques... I did just purchase 2 toon shaders that I'm looking forward to trying out to see if they'll fit with my concept...

Hey Alicia -

Your latest hi-key brexit images are fantastic! Did you use Colm's Hi-Key Studio Iray? (link for those interested)

http://www.daz3d.com/hi-key-studio-iray

I noticed that you are still producing NPR-ish images, too (Jungle Girl and Goth Fairy). I'm also interested in what is commercially viable as far as 3D renders go. Which way did you end up leaning for your comic? Looks like you're still straddling that fence - hope it's not gettin too uncomfy ;)

- Greg

Hi, sorry, I was away from this thread! Yes, Colm's high key and I'm still on the fence about which way to go, realistic or stylized. While I'm still playing, it often depends on how the render comes out. If it looks realistic, I try to make it look MORE realistic with Photoshop photo filters and usually B&W looks best. I'm still a newbie in DS, but have worked with Poser for years. If a render comes out not realistic or if the character (like Star) is a toon, then I stylize it. I actually like postwork better than the 3D rendering, especially with all the new high tech stuff in DS now because I'm way more arty than techie and sometimes I get so frustrated in DS but Photoshop is really relaxing... I keep going back and forth now with stylized vs realism but I'm a Gemini, so that's expected LOL! I haven't touched Poser since March when I started learning DS but I kind of miss it, but am a bit bored with V4 and it seems too complicated to get the Genesises in Poser and I don't know if you can blend all the morphs like you can in DS...

Anyway, here's cover I did a while ago...

These images look great, Alicia - thanks for sharing! I'm jealous of people like you & Diva who get to do this for a living. Someday I'd love to be in position to be able to make that transition with my NPR algos . . .

- Greg

@Divamakeup, you don't need Filter Forge, just use poster edges in Photoshop and play with contrast, levels, saturation, etc... And hand digitally paint over your render, I think I read you did comic book art, just do it over your renders! If you have a Wacom great, but I mostly just do it with a mouse! I picked up some traditional art brushes here on sale for like $1.99 that I'm going to try and Deviant art has tons of free brushes but the regular ones that come with Photoshop are great too. I find the hand painting part, much more enjoyable than rendering actually.

Also, I get 11x17 or 12x16 prints made at my local printer for about $1.50. And this is LA, it's probably cheaper wherever you are, just put it on a cheap flash drive and bring it to a printer! 8x10 are about 50 cents :)

Thanks for the suggestions - I appreciate it! :D I do like the idea of the hand painted/paint over look - but that is pretty time consuming. The idea, for me, is to find a way to do that without having to spend the time to have to hand draw it, as I'm usually busy with commissions and can't really put that much time into just my every day "for fun" art renders. :) Finding a filter or work flow that will give that look without the hand drawing/time consuming bits is the goal for me. :)

I'll have to look into seeing what the prices are at some local printers. We have only one vehicle and convincing my husband to make a trip to the printers just for my for fun art might be tricky lol But it might be dobale. :) 

Thanks again for taking the time to leave some advice and help. I do appreciate it! BTW, check your messages, girl! lol I'm dying to know! :)

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited September 2016

It's been so long since I've posted anything here - figured I'd jump back in with a render of Noodle using the current algos that was cooking as I coded tonight. He's sporting a custom coat I made when I first got LAMH last year. Was going for something scruffy, and made him look kind of grumpy. After checking out Knittingmommy's thread on LAMH, been thinking about having another go at it and giving the poor guy a more dignified haircut that a siamese deserves. Then again, I dunno - kinda like it. 

- Greg

noodle-800.png
    800 x 450 - 620K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • I dunno.  While I'm all for you giving LAMH another go, Greg, that fur coat on Noodles just seems to fit him. :)  Excellent image!  I love Noodles and that is the perfect pose and expression on him!  I love the whole look!

• Normal render + Photoshop postwork blush

daz001.jpg
    453 x 960 - 131K
  • djigneodjigneo Posts: 283

KA1, what is LR9k (Line Render 9000)? Is it a shader? A Photoshop filter or ??? And will it be in the DAZ store soon?

LineRender 9000 (LR9k) is a completely in DAZ Studio toolset geared toward generating line art from scenes. It can be used with any surface shaders. Check the official beta thread at http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/102671/looking-for-beta-testers-for-lineart-toon-product/p1 ;

Based on what I'm hearing from DAZ, I'm optimistic it'll hit the store soon.

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited September 2016

May - Dreamy

Used the Filter Forge Dreamy filter twice on the image.

MayDreamy2.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 784K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Thanks, djigneo.  That looks like a must-buy ASAP. I hope it comes out soon!!!! :)

• djigneodjigneo Posts: 283
    edited September 2016

Here's the result of some recent experimentation. Mainly screwing with a Toon surface shader I'm making for my own usage. Playing with the idea of having more interesting background surfaces (sand texture, rocks, etc).  Line art and shadows are from LineRender 9000 (of course).

Simple composite, just renders from DAZ stacked on top of each other.

Edit: holy compression, just check the attachment.

^9E384FB896CE740E43FBA0CAED722F6AD7242D517E5C59108F^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png
    2400 x 1800 - 6M
    Post edited by djigneo on
  • NPR (specifically for visual novel art) has been a holy grail for a friend and I. (I think we have all the toys except ToonyCam, and we're eagerly awaiting LR9k.)

She's now poking at creating filters for Filter Forge.... I liked this and wanted to share.

This discussion has been closed.