Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

Lots of great work still being posted here!

@divamakeup - Have you tried printing any of these yet?

@KA1 - This looks fantastic - please post more! Animation would be interesting to see, too.

- Greg

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Lots of great work still being posted here!

@divamakeup - Have you tried printing any of these yet?

@KA1 - This looks fantastic - please post more! Animation would be interesting to see, too.

- Greg

No, sadly I don't have a printer. 

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

Thank you @algovincian been quite a journey trying to get the sort of look I was after and this is the closest so far. Next up:-

Steampunk Star

"So the end of days is approaching.. not if I have anything to do with it!" - See more at: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/203876

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

So...I just bought Filter Forge.  Too many good examples of using it here.  This thread is costing me money!  cryingcheeky

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    3dOutlaw said:

So...I just bought Filter Forge.  Too many good examples of using it here.  This thread is costing me money!  cryingcheeky

I love what can be done with FF!  I'm still exploring all of the great things that can be done NPR-wise.  Very fun to play with.  I have a bunch of NPR filters listed by name and what I did with them in my Laboratory thread if you need help finding some great filters.  I'll be listing more as I find them and experiment.  Sometimes, the names of the filters don't seem obvious that they are great for NPR type images, but can have some interesting effects.

Cool, I'll take alook, thanks!

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

Prophecy

"From a system on the brink of destruction, two factions fighting for control, one unlikely hero emerges" - See more at: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/204531/

• Niki_ArtNiki_Art Posts: 50
    edited September 2016

I've been really drilling into Iray and realism with new shader I've been working on. It was nice to switch gears for a change and do this one>

This is beautiful timmins.william!

Post edited by Niki_Art on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Playing with a render engine that uses brush strokes.  Need a lot more practice! 

• An Autumn Fairy render - Since it's getting a little chilly here. Fall is coming! :) Yay! My favorite time of year!

Beautiful work. I'm really amazed at the shift in color tones -- it was a warm, autumn tone to a cool winter. Very nice. 

• KA1 said:

Spent some time Beta testing LR9k (Line Render 9000) which should be available in store in the not to distant future - the only post work was a smidge of Gaussian blur which took the sharp edge off the image making it more.... anime...possibly.... could just be me...

Very nice output. I've yet to get any really good results, but that's because I haven't had a chance to play around with it as much as I'd hoped. I really like the effect on the foreground, but the shadows look too realistic. Nevertheless, this is a FANTASTIC start! I'm really excited to see what people will do with this when it's unleashed to the masses.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I've been using various Topaz filters for a video game I'm working on with my daughter for her senior project. I've used Simplify and Clean the most. Clean is definitely the easiest way to get a NPR look, imo, for characters and Simplify has been working well for scenes.. A friend turned me on to Topaz filters a while back, and I find them very useful. I'm waiting for Black Friday to pick up the rest of the filters (I own Clean, Impression, and Simplify. Supposedly, you can buy all of Topaz filters for around $200 on Black Friday usually.) I had tried FilterForge and besides crashing on a regular basis, I just couldn't quite get the look I wanted. Topaz has been much easier and you can really tweak it. 

Here are a few of the characters for our game. Please keep in mind, I'm a total amateur, lol. I've bought several shaders that would help with NPRs, but I've found I prefer to do it in postwork. Well, unless something way cooler and easier to use comes along. :) I wanted to post some things today just to get my feet wet, although I don't have time to post full scenes. Maybe another day if I get time and am brave enough.

I've gotten a lot from reading this thread. :)

w Quin headshot w clean sm.png
    300 x 450 - 542K
    w Quin_profile w clean sm.png
    300 x 450 - 542K
    w Avery_headshot_RESIZED.png
    300 x 450 - 542K
    w Avery_profile_RESIZED.png
    300 x 450 - 542K
    w Ryo_headshot RESIZED.png
    300 x 450 - 542K
    w Ryo_profile RESIZED.png
    300 x 450 - 542K
    w Traice_headshot_RESIZED.png
    300 x 450 - 543K
    w Traice_profile RESIZED.png
    300 x 450 - 542K
  • diomede said:

Playing with a render engine that uses brush strokes.  Need a lot more practice! 

Cool =) Is that Carrara?

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited September 2016

I've mostly been using Filter Forge for texture generation, but thought I'd give it a try for effects...

Glamour-FF.jpg
    1200 x 1553 - 1M
    Post edited by TabascoJack on

I've been using various Topaz filters for a video game I'm working on with my daughter for her senior project. I've used Simplify and Clean the most. Clean is definitely the easiest way to get a NPR look, imo, for characters and Simplify has been working well for scenes.. A friend turned me on to Topaz filters a while back, and I find them very useful. I'm waiting for Black Friday to pick up the rest of the filters (I own Clean, Impression, and Simplify. Supposedly, you can buy all of Topaz filters for around $200 on Black Friday usually.) I had tried FilterForge and besides crashing on a regular basis, I just couldn't quite get the look I wanted. Topaz has been much easier and you can really tweak it. 

Here are a few of the characters for our game. Please keep in mind, I'm a total amateur, lol. I've bought several shaders that would help with NPRs, but I've found I prefer to do it in postwork. Well, unless something way cooler and easier to use comes along. :) I wanted to post some things today just to get my feet wet, although I don't have time to post full scenes. Maybe another day if I get time and am brave enough.

I've gotten a lot from reading this thread. :)

Agreed!  Simplify is really good!  There are good options for the look I was after.  Below is a pastel, watercolor and buzsim filter (defaults) on that same image above.  (click for bigger version)

...and if anyone is interested, pm me for a coupon code on stuff there  ;-)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Yes, Carrara has an alternate render engine that uses simulated brush strokes. You can set the brush size, stroke length, stroke direction, randomness, and a bunch of other stuff.  Most people are more interested in photo-real so it is hard to find info for its NPR render engine from people who have tried it.  Carrara also has multi-pass rendering (depth pass, diffuse, object index, yadda, yadda, yadda).  But the depth passes are tied to the phot-real renderer so you have to render twice, once for the NPR render engine and once to get the multipasses. 

diomede said:

Cool =) Is that Carrara?

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

I've mostly been using Filter Forge for texture generation, but thought I'd give it a try for effects...

Nice appearance. What filter(s) did you use for this?

•  

Tobor said:

Nice appearance. What filter(s) did you use for this?

Watercolor Painting

edited September 2016

My goal - and I'm still struggling to get there - is to have our game graphics look as if they were drawn digitally and airbrushed or something similar, especially the characters. I'd like the scenes to look as if they could also be digitally drawn. I'm playing with various filters and here are my last few attempts.

w Utopia_Labs_for website.png
    1000 x 689 - 1M
    PAST AoV background v2 1+2+3 sm.png
    1100 x 733 - 3M
    w time city draft for website 3.png
    940 x 529 - 2M
    w NWX Section 18 with center prop - artistic 1 test.png
    1100 x 619 - 1M
    Post edited by firewarden on

Here is a before/after of a render of last stand using the Topaz Simpliy filter...with a few tweaks

before  after

• I recently picked up Aiko 7 at an incredibly low price last week so I had to play with her a bit.  Here is Aiko 7 at 50% with a little mix of The Girl 7 & Bethany 7.  Postwork in Filter Forge with a layered effect I'm starting to really enjoy playing around with.

3dOutlaw and Knittingmommy, cool pix! :)  Very inspiring!

KA1, what is LR9k (Line Render 9000)? Is it a shader? A Photoshop filter or ??? And will it be in the DAZ store soon?

edited September 2016

@knittingmommy - what filter(s) did you use?

It's a fantastic effect!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited September 2016

@TabascoJack  Thanks!!!  I actually used two filters.  For the first layer, I used Foxxee's Moody Shadows.  This just gave it an extra light and shadows contrast for the background because the lights and shadows in my original didn't show up enough after using the next filter.  I really liked the effect that I got with it.  Then, save it so you can open that image back up into FF and apply the next filter which was Comic Stylize + weirdness.  Non of the presets had quite the look I wanted so I had to play with the settings until I got what I wanted.  Unfortunately, I can't give you the settings I used as I totally forgot to save them as a preset!  I'm going to try and go back in and figure that out as I vaguely remember which settings I changed, but I'm not sure how close I'll get.  I really have to remember to save what I really like as a preset!!!!  I tend to forget things like that at 3 am, though.  I do really like the effects that I get with mixing filters and I love that Comic Stylize + weirdness filter.  It's one of the best ones that kind of matches what I imagine my style to be when I find it.  I'm still working on that finding my style part.  :)

Thanks, too, @firewarden.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • Oh, the Comic Stylize one is just what I was looking for.  

It works really well!

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Thanks. That filter is always a good one. 

edited September 2016

Looks like a comic book....

WhatLiesBeyondComic.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 784K
    PiazzaComic.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
  • pdspds Posts: 593

Looks like a comic book....

Almost looks like the Grand Theft Auto style of artwork. 

• @TabascoJack I really like how those turned out!  My favorite is the space scene, though!  It looks really great!  I really like that filter and it is fast becoming one of my favorites to use.  If you haven't tried it yet, you should try experimenting with layering different FF filters.  I like the effects I can get doing that.  Just remember to save each image and reload it before applying the new filter.  And, make sure to note down which filters and in which order you use them as it does make a difference and will be helpful if you find a series you really like and want to go back and replicate what you did.

Comic Stylize + weirdness is a great FF filter. I wish FF didn't hate my machine. (Windows 7 64-bit and Adobe Creative Cloud running on decent hardware.) Luckily the FF folks refunded me, since it crashed so much it was irritatingly unusable.

This discussion has been closed.