Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

@DollyGirl The juxtaposition of the elegant girl with the monster as an accessory is just delightful! Wonderful work! 

A new one from me. This time I tried using both an Iray render and a 3Delight render mixed to create the look I wanted. I like how it turned out and hope to do more experements with mixing Iray and 3Delight.

The original 3Delight render:

The original Iray render:

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

very nice composition diva

whats the face and hair used in those renders ?

edited August 2016
    Ruphuss said:

very nice composition diva

whats the face and hair used in those renders ?

The hair is here: http://www.daz3d.com/lil-devil-tails-for-genesis-3-females

The character is Sarah G3F - it's a freebie right now at Rendo: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1458776/#Comment_1458776

There is debate whether or not you have to be subscribed to the newsletter to get it - as far as I know I'm not subbed to the newsletter (I've never gotten a newsletter from them) but others have said they can't download it unless they are subbed to the newsletter. *shrug*

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

A new one from me. This time I tried using both an Iray render and a 3Delight render mixed to create the look I wanted. I like how it turned out and hope to do more experements with mixing Iray and 3Delight.

Looks fantastic, Diva!

- Greg

edited August 2016

Looks fantastic, Diva!

- Greg

Thanks, Greg! :D That's nice of you to say!

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited August 2016

Yes, the finished piece looks great. I wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't hand drawn. :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    Gedd said:

Yes, the finished piece looks great. I wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't hand drawn. :)

Really? Awesome! Getting a hand drawn look has been my aim, I'm glad I succeeded with this one! :D Thanks, Gredd! 

• Here are a couple more. I don't want to hijack the thread too much, so I won't post any more after this for a while. lol :D

That one turned out really nice. WIth that style and color tones you could probably do some classic pin up style images that work really well.

Here are a couple more. I don't want to hijack the thread too much, so I won't post any more after this for a while. lol :D

That one turned out really nice. WIth that style and color tones you could probably do some classic pin up style images that work really well.

Thank you, Strangefate! I appreciate the feedback! I love classic pin-up art so I might just have to do that, I think that's a great idea! :D

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

So, I did a little bit of playing with some Plushies and thought I would share.  Original image done in Iray and then ran through some Filter Forge filters for some layered effects and then some post in GIMP.  It was kind of a fun little distraction.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

I like the top one best (less blur). Would love to see your process.

I like the top one best (less blur). Would love to see your process.

It isn't much of a process, but I have what I've been doing in Filter Forge all laid out in my Laboratory thread in this post with some examples.  Then in this post, I have these newer images with the specific filters I used for them listed in the order I saved them before applying the next filter.  It is mostly a bit of trial and error within each of the filters until I get the look I like and want to save before moving on to the next filter.  I would put the links to each of the filters, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that so I always try to use the exact name so anyone can go to the Filter Forge website and find the filter I used.  If I find a look for any of the filters that I use, I try to remember to save those as a preset.  The only thing I don't like about how the presets are set up in FF is that you can't name them or number them for notation purposes.  I haven't really gotten to the point where I keep exacting records, but I imagine I'll need to figure out a record keeping system if I do too much more experimenting because my layering is starting to get complicated.  However, the final effects are nice and it would be nice to be able to duplicate a particular look.  While I can do that now with just the few notes I have on my thread, I can see a day when having better records will be useful for more complicated layers.  It has been fun doing these types of images.

• I downloaded the beta of GIMP 2.9 for Windows and took a look at the NIK Collection.  Very nice filters.  I thought I'd post a couple of images.  Of all the filters I've tried so far, I like the first image the best.  The second image was done with GIMP's Cartoon filter.  It looks like they may have made some changes because the same image done with the old filter in 2.8 doesn't look the same.  I still have a ton of filters to play with that I haven't tried yet.  I think both of these counts as NPR images.  I'm still trying to figure out where the lines gets drawn between real and NPR.

Very, very nice work! That particular filter has definitely improved (I've got the latest Gimp, but lately I'm focused more on Manga Studio, so I'll file this away as something to look at later).

I have a thought -- suggestion: Although I like the texture on the shirt -- I think it's interesting -- most "toon" work doesn't use effects like that. When making my own toon/noir look, I've found that rendering without bump maps yields more traditional "toon" results. Although, in this case, I would just dump the bump on the shirt and leave the skin and face maps because we're getting nice vascular shadows and facial hair. Just something to think about!

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

I tend to make little notes as to filter used on the photoshop layer and add screenshots if I tamper with any filter settings, and add that to its own layer so that I can duplicate the look in sequels. Thanks for the links :D

• Here are a couple more. I don't want to hijack the thread too much, so I won't post any more after this for a while. lol :D

Thanks for being considerate, but HIJACK AWAY! I love seeing your stuff. I like all your work, but the "Tarzan" is my favorite. Although he has really big hands. Oh well, you know what they say about men with big hands... the need big gloves!  Gotta jet -- on deadline today.

• Animations fair game? Given how fast I've found I can render BW lineart style, been encouraged to try a bit of animation. Two... not terribly good animations, but hey, fun to play with. And wow, trying to keep the feet in the right place... yeah, think I'll generally stick with stills.

I've got that camera and have never really taken the time to play with it. BTW: A new-and improved camera is in the works... Great work, and I particularly like the werewolf morph.

I downloaded the beta of GIMP 2.9 for Windows and took a look at the NIK Collection.  Very nice filters.  I thought I'd post a couple of images.  Of all the filters I've tried so far, I like the first image the best.  The second image was done with GIMP's Cartoon filter.  It looks like they may have made some changes because the same image done with the old filter in 2.8 doesn't look the same.  I still have a ton of filters to play with that I haven't tried yet.  I think both of these counts as NPR images.  I'm still trying to figure out where the lines gets drawn between real and NPR.

Very, very nice work! That particular filter has definitely improved (I've got the latest Gimp, but lately I'm focused more on Manga Studio, so I'll file this away as something to look at later).

I have a thought -- suggestion: Although I like the texture on the shirt -- I think it's interesting -- most "toon" work doesn't use effects like that. When making my own toon/noir look, I've found that rendering without bump maps yields more traditional "toon" results. Although, in this case, I would just dump the bump on the shirt and leave the skin and face maps because we're getting nice vascular shadows and facial hair. Just something to think about!

I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks for the advice.  I may even try running the image again without the bump in the shirt to see what it looks like.  I'm still just doing baby steps trying to get a feel for how things work and I haven't really settled on any one style as yet.  I like exploring the different looks.  I'm just having fun with it right now just to see what I can do and what I can't do.

And, yeah, those vascular shadows and the facial hair surprised me with how well they looked.  I wasn't expecting that.

I tend to make little notes as to filter used on the photoshop layer and add screenshots if I tamper with any filter settings, and add that to its own layer so that I can duplicate the look in sequels. Thanks for the links :D

I would love to be able to do that, but I use Filter Forge as a stand alone product (not in PS) and I don't think it has the ability to do notes so any notes I take are in an outside program.  I'll probably set something up in Scrivener to help me keep track of things as I can probably create a template for the pictures and a detailed notes page for each of the different filters and layers.  If I can do that, it should be easy to replicate anything I like once it starts getting really complicated with lots of filters and any post in GIMP.  Of course, anything I do in GIMP, I can make notes on the layers just like you do in PS.

• Here's something under development that looks interesting to NPR fans smiley

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tech/video-stylit-presents-exciting-new-way-stylize-cg-animation-142515.html

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562
    dhtapp said:

Here's something under development that looks interesting to NPR fans smiley

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tech/video-stylit-presents-exciting-new-way-stylize-cg-animation-142515.html

Very cool. I'd love to see it in action on some non-trivial models/scenes. Thanks for posting, dhtapp.

- Greg

dhtapp said:

Here's something under development that looks interesting to NPR fans smiley

Oh wow, that looks really cool! :) Being able to capture an artist's own style and have it translate to 3D, that's sounds amazing!

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited August 2016

How have I not seen this thread?!?  Cool stuff!!!  

...so I went off and "sketched" my latest VSS render (original), using a Paint.Net technique!  :)

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
    3dOutlaw said:

...so I went off and "sketched" my latest VSS render (original), using a Paint.Net technique!  :)

Whoa! Awesome! I really like it. The original looks great too. I have to get that Visual Style shader.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited August 2016

Another NPR built out of two render passes in Poser 11 using the Comic Book Preview and then combined in Manga Studio. This was a quickie character concept, hence the long text block.

I am not happy with the texture on the eyes -- something is wrong with them and they are not rendering correctly with only whites and blacks showing. I'm going to go back to my other illustrations and see what I'm doing differently with those, where the eye textures did work.

In case the text is hard to read, here it is again: 

J.C. "Julius Caesar" Worthington's head almost exploded when his son stood there and boldly proclaimed that he was "throwing away wealth, privilage and an Ivy League education that could have sent him to the White House," just to be take a job that any "flatfoot, half-sober Irishman could do!" At least that's how J.C. put it as he cut Lance off from both family and fortune. But after a few years walking a beat -- and rising through the ranks with a combination of book smarts and learned-on-thejob street smarts, he worked his way up to Detective. That's when grandma laughed and "cut him back in," giving him a trust fund that would keep him in expensive suits and convertables for the rest of his days. "He's the first one of this brood who's not afraid to get some dirt under his nails and actually work for a living!"

Known on the force for sharp clothes and a clean conscience, his fellow boys in blue gave him a lot of nicknames over the years: from "The White Knight" to "Little Boy Blue Blood." But the one that stuck was the most apt: "Lancelot." 

Lance_Worthington_fullsize.jpg
    2200 x 3400 - 2M
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • So, I did a little bit of playing with some Plushies and thought I would share.  Original image done in Iray and then ran through some Filter Forge filters for some layered effects and then some post in GIMP.  It was kind of a fun little distraction.

Distractions can be a LOT of fun! What a cute image. I like the primary colors -- they always help "sell" an illustration for children. This is really nice.

• Here are a couple more...

Thanks for sharing your work. I really am enjoying seeing what you're doing with pastels and the classic look you're working with. 

3dOutlaw said:

She's adorable.  I'm not sure which version I like more, I saw the original in the galery and loved it, but this nicely done, too.

So, I did a little bit of playing with some Plushies and thought I would share.  Original image done in Iray and then ran through some Filter Forge filters for some layered effects and then some post in GIMP.  It was kind of a fun little distraction.

Distractions can be a LOT of fun! What a cute image. I like the primary colors -- they always help "sell" an illustration for children. This is really nice.

Yeah, and bonus points for learning new things while being distracted!  :)   I liked how this turned out so well, I'm seriously thinking of trying to do a short animation using them.  The only thing holding me back is that I would love to do that animation and have it end up looking like the first image I posted.  The second one would be way too much work as the second part of the process on the second one was done in GIMP.  Still even just sticking to the strictly Filter Forge part would be a lot of images to process.  I'm doing some research into the batch renderer for Filter Forge to see if it will do what I want so I can process all of the stills in the animation before I put them all in the final animation format.  I just want to see how it would look in motion.

• Yeah, and bonus points for learning new things while being distracted! :)  

Yeah, I've only ever made one "real" animation, and it took two weeks to get a 1-minute video. It's still fun to watch, but the time commitment is why I've never done it again.

An Autumn Fairy render - Since it's getting a little chilly here. Fall is coming! :) Yay! My favorite time of year!

Here's the original:

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

Spent some time Beta testing LR9k (Line Render 9000) which should be available in store in the not to distant future - the only post work was a smidge of Gaussian blur which took the sharp edge off the image making it more.... anime...possibly.... could just be me...

This discussion has been closed.