Cloud Atlas

LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,166
edited October 2012 in The Commons

OK, I went to see the 3-hour movie "Cloud Atlas" yesterday. Hmmm...

Not quite sure how to rate this. First, I sat through the whole thing and never had to pee. Amazing! Normally I have to make a trip to the potty or a bush every hour!!! 8-o

Second, I never felt bored. Amazing, because I get bored with almost any slow moving scene supposedly trying to develop a relationship. I was somehow able to quickly grasp the relationships between the numerous pairs.

Third, I was never able to completely understand the complete time plot aspect. Was it a loop, an alternate reality, alien visitors, or all three? Guess I'll have to see it again. It's one of those movies adapted from books that shouldn't have even tried, like "Dune".

The jumps in time were not really confusing for me. The costumes and plot lines in each vignette snapped me right back to what was going on in that plot. Sort of like channel surfing between a half dozen interesting TV shows.

It was great fun finally recognizing each actor in their role in each time period. Excellent acting and makeup.

In short I liked the movie and it may win several awards for acting and costumes and special effects but I don't think it will be a big money maker. It's too cerebral. Only 1 out of 10 viewers will appreciate it. Even fewer will understand it. And 50 percent of American viewers will completely reject its political/social message (if they catch it).

On the LeatherGryphon scale 1 to 10 (money waster to enlightenment) it's perhaps a 7.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

OMG what rock did I crawl out from under,
    not only did I not realize from the thread title it was a movie
    I have never heard of the book
    and
    I THOUGHT IT MUST BE A DAZ PRODUCT :roll: :red:

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Yep... I was imagining a Bryce product on making big puffy clouds and a how to tutorial. *chuckle*

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Is this the film where they made up white actors so they looked like koreans rather than employing actual koreans?

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

I was going to say something but I thought people might see it as racist even though it would not have been my intention, so I get the chuckle all to myself. Sorry.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,166
    edited October 2012

anikad said:
    Is this the film where they made up white actors so they looked like koreans rather than employing actual koreans?

Why yes. Yes it is! :-s However, people who have actually seen the movie probably wouldn't see that as a problem. And it was actually done quite well. This is a very complex plot and storytelling method. The story is a cycle of reincarnations of people in various ages where the people are actually played by the same actors in each age. And if you look carefully you'll see several other races and bodytypes represented by the same actors in different ages. Apparently the far future is an age where the Oriental bodytype was prominent in the selected scene. Having the same actors in the movie in each age in the movie helps explain the story, whereas in the book it would be established differently.

Doona Bae http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0046277/ played the principle character of the movie in the future but she also played a Mexican woman and an English woman among others so the race shifting goes both ways.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

It seems like a very interesting film, but i no longer go to the movies because the quality at the theater is nowhere near as good as watching it at home, so I will have to wait for it to come out on blu-ray. Although I must admit that some movies are more enjoyable watching with a large group of people because of the emotion. Kind of like watching a football game at a bar versus at home. The emotional experience at the bar is far better.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

OK, I went to see the 3-hour movie "Cloud Atlas" yesterday. Hmmm...

Third, I was never able to completely understand the complete time plot aspect. Was it a loop, an alternate reality, alien visitors, or all three? Guess I'll have to see it again. It's one of those movies adapted from books that shouldn't have even tried, like "Dune".

The jumps in time were not really confusing for me. The costumes and plot lines in each vignette snapped me right back to what was going on in that plot. Sort of like channel surfing between a half dozen interesting TV shows.

I was reading the book, spanish translation, it is a possible spoiler, so I put this in white letters to be highlighted (Sorry colored background pages)

begin spoilerNo direct connexion between period, besides text/message connexion, besides the theme: Human behavior, domination/exploitation/agression and people fight again or suffer this, and besides the recurrent use of the six number. In the book is slightly insinuated connection between protagonist in each period, but author declare they share/have the same soul: one is reincarnation of the other. Author doesn't explain scientifically why they share the same mark. end spoiler

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

BTW, Stonemason worked on the future cityscape/chase sequences.

edited December 1969

BTW, Stonemason worked on the future cityscape/chase sequences.

Cool Beans! :-)

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

anikad said:

Why yes. Yes it is! :-s However, people who have actually seen the movie probably wouldn't see that as a problem.

Howard 'Schlock Mercenary' Tayler disagrees in his review: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/

edited December 1969

Just another example of people's different views of movies.
    http://www.contactmusic.com/news-article/woods-uncomfortable-meeting-with-nicholson

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Another movie I found really hard to get my head around was Loopers, How the heck could you get 3 instances of yourself in the same timezone and the consequences 1st 2nd 3rd person 1st could influence all, 2nd could influence them self and 3rd, but 3rd could only influence them self then I got lost LOL! so the youngest won