UltraScatter - v1.5.0 released [Commercial]

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885
    Trying to figure out how I can use this to get snow in hilltops. hrm
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited November 2017

Do you know if it will work in 4.8, or will it require 4.9 or higher?

11/22/2017 EDITED TO ADD  Per HowieFarkes, "UltraScatter has been developed in Daz Studio 4.8.0.59 so will work in 4.8. The very first release was only for 4.9 but since the first update it has been 4.8 compatible."

Post edited by sriesch on
  • HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584
    sriesch said:

Do you know if it will work in 4.8, or will it require 4.9 or higher?

It was developed using 4.9 so I think it will require 4.9

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584
    edited July 2016

Here's another view of the forest scene that was built using UltraScatter.

There are 19 separate scatters in this scene - for large trees, small trees, grass, ferns, ground covers, leaves etc

Post edited by Chohole on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

I can just see an FJ on that dirt road....

@HowieFarkes .... can you make an FJ pweeeeaaase? yes

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

WOW... just WOW!  SOLD! 

• selias19selias19 Posts: 252

I seldom buy things immediately after they are released but I think this one will be an instant buy. Awesome!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

This is going to be very tempting - and I don't even use Daz Studio (committed Carrara user)!

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606

Yes I miss Carrara Replicators too, also Inagoni's awesome addons. Daz Studio doesn't have paint brush to make mask/ gradient maps on the fly too...

It can scatter on a volume

you can limit the instances to a particular surface, or use a mask as well as setting altitude, slope etc limits.

Wow very very very cool!

• So, ah....when is this coming out?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Here's another view of the forest scene that was built using UltraScatter.

There are 19 separate scatters in this scene - for large trees, small trees, grass, ferns, ground covers, leaves etc

can you stop posting these awesome images please. :)

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679

The number of uses for this is mind-blowing. Thanks, @HowieFarkes for helping bring our beloved DAZ studio in the the 21st century.

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272

Atracction? Repel? Elevation?

Sold here and I will be unfaithful but grateful to Tofusan's freebie Replicator

• JPiatJPiat Posts: 68

An instant buy.. as I like to create outdoor scene with daz studio. I use my own script most of the time, but creating a lot of instances by script is long... a plug in would be preferable.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
    edited July 2016

Well from Harpwood trail I know ithe instance groups utilized by it will not work with the Octane 2 plugin, I  do not know about 3, just mentioning for those who use Octane, I do not know about Reality or Luxus but expect the same issue applies.

Certainly not using instance groups should work or breaking them though it has obviously resource limitations but think people need to made aware of this clearly before it is released and on the product page as there are a lot of Octane and Luxrender users too.

I looks like a great product and certainly will be useful as long as buyers are aware of the issues with third party render plugins.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    Sad said:

Well from Harpwood trail I know ithe instance groups utilized by it will not work with the Octane 2 plugin, I  do not know about 3, just mentioning for those who use Octane, I do not know about Reality or Luxus but expect the same issue applies.

Certainly not using instance groups should work or breaking them though it has obviously resource limitations but think people need to made aware of this clearly before it is released and on the product page as there are a lot of Octane and Luxrender users too.

I looks like a great product and certainly will be useful as long as buyers are aware of the issues with third party render plugins.

Octane owner can use "Phantom Scatter" for replication :

http://scatter.phantomtechnology.nl/

I don't own Octane or Phantom Scatter... but I was always jealous... I certainly will be a happy user of ultra scatter... 

yeah in Octane standalone and its a yearly subscription, I have actually expressed my distaste for that sort of sales model on many forums and will not buy any products that use it.

AnywayCarrara replicators work in exported scenes to Octane  and now thanks to Howie we have this too heart that may even.

I was just pointing out the limitations not critising as the various plugin developers may even come to a solution themselves.

edited July 2016

oh I see they finally made a lifetime version, well at least the life of the computer it's locked to cheeky

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,308

As long as it works in Daz Studio,  I'll be pleased,  so many potential uses with this! 

• I'm definitely a fan of this tool and look forward to its availability. smiley

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505
    edited July 2016

Heh, we could be on the verge of replicating some of Vue's functionality in Studio (which I would love, since Vue is still as slow as molasses). Now we just need Bryce's terrain painter.  ;)   Excellent work.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

I cannot wait. Instant buy for me.

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,027

The one thing that is not clear is how system intensive this functionality will be. If I can scatter to my heart's content, but rendering takes years, or worse yet, I run out of memory, then there's a serious limitation to this (otherwise) cool and highly useful tool.

mcorr said:

The one thing that is not clear is how system intensive this functionality will be. If I can scatter to my heart's content, but rendering takes years, or worse yet, I run out of memory, then there's a serious limitation to this (otherwise) cool and highly useful tool.

3delight can handle a lot of instances without probleme (put the chunck size to the minimum)

Iray can handle a lot of instances only if Instance optimisation is set to "memory" not "speed".

The good idea is to turn instances preview to off : the viewport remain responsive. I hope that it will be an option in the script.

HowieFarkes "The Harpwood Trail for daz studio" needs approx 2.5 Go (Iray, memory optimisation). If I choose speed optimisation, the render engine switches to CPU mode even with my Titan X.

Render time : It's taking age of course... 10h for my laster render using "The Harpwood Trail for daz studio" for 8000 iterations. But there is a lot of geometrie behind the camera : useless and time consuming.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited July 2016

@JPiat "But there is a lot of geometrie behind the camera : useless and time consuming."

Why don't you hide the geometry behind the camera, or use an Iray section plane behind the camera?

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited July 2016
    mcorr said:

As one of a few people people who have used UltraScatter in anger (beta tester), I feel qualified to comment. I have an update to my Hemlock Folly set, which has been rebuilt using UltraScatter, currently in QA. You can see some renders from it here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1417966/#Comment_1417966 The 3Delight image took ~45 minutes on an i5 @ 3.2GHz. The Iray image took ~1 hour to 90% on a 980Ti (stock speed). Both images 1920x1080. I get broadly similar times rendering The Harpwood Trail at the same size.

The script gives two preview options. First is a bounding box proxy, which places scaled & rotated translucent boxes at the instance positions. These are generated as a single object and only show in the viewport (not in the render). They have a normal shader, so you can change colour or whatever. I normally turn these off, since even though they are low overhead, when you have many thousands of instances, they can still introduce some lag. The second option is for a low-poly tree proxy (obviously, use this when you're scattering trees). My tree count is under 1000, so I leave these on. There's a hint of lag, but it's not very much. In all cases, the regular "Instance Preview" is set to off by default. You can see both these proxies in action if you scroll up a few posts in my thread.

As JPiat mentioned, Instance Optimisation needs to be set to Memory for Iray renders.

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
    fastbike1 said:

@JPiat "But there is a lot of geometrie behind the camera : useless and time consuming."

Why don't you hide the geomtry behind the camera, or use an Iray section plane behind the camera?

Excellent idea, and it's working ! An Iray section plane behind the camera multiply by two the number of iteration for a given time.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885

The only downside to using the section plane is potentially removing some of the subtle lighting through off-screen items.

But it's worth playing around, because a lot of times the difference isn't really obvious and not worth having things render much more slowly.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505

Could you tell me what you mean by an "Iray section plane"? Maybe I know it by another name, but that just isn't ringing a bell.

• The only downside to using the section plane is potentially removing some of the subtle lighting through off-screen items.

But it's worth playing around, because a lot of times the difference isn't really obvious and not worth having things render much more slowly.

Not if you turn Clip Lights on in the parameters pane.

Could you tell me what you mean by an "Iray section plane"? Maybe I know it by another name, but that just isn't ringing a bell.

Create>New Iray Section Plane

It hides things on the + side of the plane, by default from both the camera and lights but if you turn on Clip Lights the geometry will be hidden only from the direct camera view, it wills till show in reflections and cast shadows. This allows you to position a camera outside a room and still see inside.