TangoAlpha's Coming Soon: End of the Track [Commercial]

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Definitely picking this up.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,137

You're certainly selling this well! Looking forward to Howie's scatter product and the Hemlock update smiley

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

i'm so glad you're iraying and updating and regrouping this! 

any chance of having the option to load scenes/sections of the landscape independently? 

there are so many great locations within the master scene...the winding lane in that last render, for instance.  

j

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    jardine said:

i'm so glad you're iraying and updating and regrouping this! 

any chance of having the option to load scenes/sections of the landscape independently? 

there are so many great locations within the master scene...the winding lane in that last render, for instance.  

j

Not easily - the terrain is basically a rectangular slab. The trees are zoned as before and can easily be turned off (plus there are extensions along each side that can be switched in/out to make the trees more dense). Grasses & plants you can switch in & out by type. The overhead is not particularly great - there's only one actual model of each plant & tree. There's always lots of good locations, cos frankly, I like to be able to plant a camera pretty much anywhere and get a good or at least interesting render. :)

Don't forget the tower! I'm focussing primarily on the landscape with this update, but there's a 100ft high tower with complete interior sitting in the middle of it. 144 winding stairs to the top, 3 interior rooms plus roof/turret . . .

First iray renders out of the oven . . .

iray-1.jpg
    1778 x 1000 - 2M
    iray2.jpg
    1778 x 1000 - 2M
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,887
    ... wow

I second Will. Wow.

• pdspds Posts: 593

Those look fantastic. Would you mind sharing some stats about what went into setting them up (for example, number of unique objects and number of instances for each), your system specs, and how long it took to render each image?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

looking forward to the Carrara update... I'll have somewhere to stick me phone booth smiley

pds said:

Those look fantastic. Would you mind sharing some stats about what went into setting them up (for example, number of unique objects and number of instances for each), your system specs, and how long it took to render each image?

There are 26 separate scatters, which includes trees, set extensions, grasses, flowers, weeds, leaves, bulrushes, pebbles. There are 32 individual models, some are grouped and some duplicated to appear in multiple groups.

I don't have complete stats for all the scatters, but here are a few:

Trees: 7 individual models, grouped and used in 8 scatters (4 main scene scatters, 202 instances, 5 extension scatters, 740 instances, total 942 instances)

Lawn grass: 3 models in 2 groups. 1st group 10000 instances, 2nd group 4700 instances (approx - from memory)

Track edge & centre grass: 4 models, 1 scatter, 4900 instances

3Delight render: 1920x1080, on "very high" settings (pixel samples 12, shadow samples 32, Gamma 2.2, Shading rate 0.1, pixel filter 8) varies between 10 minutes and about an hour depending on the scene. 2011 iMac, i5 3.2GHz, 24GB DDR3. Iray, similar times on a single 980Ti, again depending on the scene, how bright it is, how dense etc.

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,229
    pds said:

There are 26 separate scatters, which includes trees, set extensions, grasses, flowers, weeds, leaves, bulrushes, pebbles. There are 32 individual models, some are grouped and some duplicated to appear in multiple groups.

I don't have complete stats for all the scatters, but here are a few:

Trees: 7 individual models, grouped and used in 8 scatters (4 main scene scatters, 202 instances, 5 extension scatters, 740 instances, total 942 instances)

Lawn grass: 3 models in 2 groups. 1st group 10000 instances, 2nd group 4700 instances (approx - from memory)

Track edge & centre grass: 4 models, 1 scatter, 4900 instances

3Delight render: 1920x1080, on "very high" settings (pixel samples 12, shadow samples 32, Gamma 2.2, Shading rate 0.1, pixel filter 8) varies between 10 minutes and about an hour depending on the scene. 2011 iMac, i5 3.2GHz, 24GB DDR3. Iray, similar times on a single 980Ti, again depending on the scene, how bright it is, how dense etc.

Oh lawd, that looks lovely tango. Is it quite heavy in the viewport or do you not really notice with all the instancing?

edited July 2016

The general problem with instancing is that if you show them in the viewport, they render exactly the same as the full model. And with a bunch of 200K+ poly trees, that means you'll very quickly grind to a halt. Same will be true if you build a Genesis 3 army...

UltraScatter takes a different approach: it builds a proxy object to show instead. Mostly that's just the bounding boxes of all the instances, but for trees it can also be a low res tree shape. These proxies don't render, but they give a good idea of where the tree etc will be. For the grass and undergrowth, I turn the proxies off (you can show or hide them just like any object), but I leave the trees, since comments on the forum for other instanced sets suggests that people prefer to know where the trees are in order to avoid surprises in the render. There is a little bit of judder in moving about the viewport, but it's still extremely usable, and nothing compared to what would happen if you showed the full geometry.

I've included a viewport shot that approximates to one of the track renders a few posts up. You can see the tree proxies and the bounding boxes for the grass track edges. The real tree models in the background are the masters for the instances.

Scene.jpg
    1858 x 1089 - 2M
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • pdspds Posts: 593

Thank you so much for sharing these details. I'm amazed at the render speed and can't wait to experiment with this! Will you include at least a mini tutorial on suggestions/best practices for setting up the various groups, scatters, and instances to achieve similar results as your promos?

There's a pdf comes with v1; it'll get a good workover for v2. smiley

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2016

I have Hemlock Folly and Jackson's Field. With Hemlock Folly, you can remove the tower and it leaves a little grassy square, makes a nice secluded park. Just add a picnic table! And they both come in iray and 3dl versions.

Although I am upset that it changes my default render dimensions of 1200x1000 to widescreen. Do Not Want!

And Jackson's Field changes it to Viewport.

But both of them are great products that I am happy to have in my pallette. Too bad I don't do medieval, but I'll probably buy it just for the great plants and accessories.

Oh, and for some reason, the barn loads as non-selectable, with a high gloss in iray. Took me forever to figure it out so that I could edit the surface!

Post edited by Petercat on

Thanks for the comments Peter, I'll make sure they get addressed in the update.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,685

Man, TangoAlpha, that looks great! My Hemlock Folly is salivating.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2016

Thanks for the comments Peter, I'll make sure they get addressed in the update.

One last little thing, then I'm done. In Jackson's folly (full scene), the plants and trees load as invisible, the eye icon is closed.

But folks, these are great sets, very customizable, with excellent separate props that can be used in other scenes. In my opinion, they are worth the price just for that! Country roads (the only one I've seen with a drainage ditch), cattails, a nice bridge with a gate, and very good looking plants and trees. Don't pass them up!

Post edited by Petercat on
    edited July 2016

I added an extra grass patch that you can enable if you remove the tower, so it makes for a nice little picnic spot. (Iray render, 1 hour to 90% Picnic table from PC Carnival set, figures are Genesis)

Hopefully the update will be going to QA some time this week. smiley

Picnic 3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M

glad to hear it!

j

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

I added an extra grass patch that you can enable if you remove the tower, so it makes for a nice little picnic spot. (Iray render, 1 hour to 90% Picnic table from PC Carnival set, figures are Genesis)

Great addition, will be very useful. Thanks for updating! so often a set comes out and that's it.

edited July 2016

Okay, final couple of renders, one 3Delight and 1 Iray. The update is now in QA. Hurrah!

Coming soon: Something completely different!

02-hemlock-folly-daz3d.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    07-hemlock-folly-daz3d.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,080

Okay, final couple of renders, one 3Delight and 1 Iray.

Are the overlays on the images correct? I would have guessed the exact opposite. 

No they are correct. The top one is rendered with a skydome and Uber Environment (lighting setup included in the set) Approx 45 minutes render time at 1080p. The bottom one is Iray with sun/sky. Just over an hour at 1080p on a 980Ti.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,080

No they are correct. The top one is rendered with a skydome and Uber Environment (lighting setup included in the set) Approx 45 minutes render time at 1080p. The bottom one is Iray with sun/sky. Just over an hour at 1080p on a 980Ti.

Thanks. Strange. In that case, the 3Delight version looks much better (to me).

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Ati said:

Thanks. Strange. In that case, the 3Delight version looks much better (to me).

Agree.

Opening soon in a downtown near you . . . the Parthenon Club!

A contemporary club/bar with complete classical-style exterior and a choice of interior layouts, along with a selection of props. Native versions for Carrara and DS (Iray + 3Delight)

The verge and scrappy grass area were also made using http://www.daz3d.com/ultrascatter-advanced-instancing-for-daz-studio

It's through QA and just waiting on a release date.

javascript:void(0)

sweet...

love the open plan and the high ceilings.

what kind of interior lighting have they got in there?

j

edited August 2016

Globe lights suspended from the ceiling on brass poles. There's also a big old aircon up there (both are separate props, easy to disable if you don't want them). The interior with the vestibule also has coloured spotlights for a nightclub vibe. This pic shows the alternate interior, with no vestibule at the front.

03-Parthenon-Club-daz3d.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M

Sweet!