Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

It's gotten to the point now where, if I'm intersted in buying a set/environment/prop that is a room of sorts, I ask in the forums or over in some groups at FB to see if anyone has it and can tell me if walls can be made invisible. Particularly with vendors whose work I am unfamiliar with.  

Novica said:

Yep, totally get that. Unfortunately, I am usually WAAAAAAY past thee return period before I try most of the things I buy. Well, that is, until a few weeks ago (and sadly that's after three years of NOT testing them in time.)  Nikisatez's have separate walls I believe. I know Penthouse Living does, and I think Bachelor Bedroom does too. 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Feel free to pass it along here for the ones who don't have separate walls. I did a couple posts on that and there's definitely linterest in keeping vendors who separate walls and ceilings on the wishlist!  wink

RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

We just lost power

Oh no, not again! Good thing you have a generator in your neck of the woods. 

We had TWO Category 3 (almost Category 4) hurricanes within 9 months in 2004 and 2005, so almost everyone in our neighborhood has a generator.  (or two.)  So no hurricanes in 11 years, lol! 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    Novica said:
    RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

We just lost power

Oh no, not again! Good thing you have a generator in your neck of the woods. 

We had TWO Category 3 (almost Category 4) hurricanes within 9 months in 2004 and 2005, so almost everyone in our neighborhood has a generator.  (or two.)  So no hurricanes in 11 years, lol! 

We evacuated from eastern Florida to Tampa for Hurricane Jeanne. Then it changed course and hit Tampa instead! We had a hard time getting home afterwards. Our house was fine. Power had just come back after being off for two days, the neighbors said. I hate hurricane season! I worry every year.

• NikisatezNikisatez Posts: 88
    Novica said:

Yep, totally get that. Unfortunately, I am usually WAAAAAAY past thee return period before I try most of the things I buy. Well, that is, until a few weeks ago (and sadly that's after three years of NOT testing them in time.)  Nikisatez's have separate walls I believe. I know Penthouse Living does, and I think Bachelor Bedroom does too. 

Yup all of my environment sets come with removable walls, floors and ceilings. However with the influx of environments lately I don't know if it's worth me making any more of them.

The fact that you do the removeable walls, floors and ceilings, and that hte influx of environments WITHOUT them, means we want more from YOU! :D :D  

Nikisatez said:
    Novica said:

Yup all of my environment sets come with removable walls, floors and ceilings. However with the influx of environments lately I don't know if it's worth me making any more of them.

LOL ok. I haven't done one in a while. What are u guys looking for? I'm completely open to suggestions and requests

Nikisatez said:

LOL ok. I haven't done one in a while. What are u guys looking for? I'm completely open to suggestions and requests

Has anyone made a modern grocery store or pharmacy? How about a fast food place?
    edited July 2016

Nikisatez- what I have trouble finding are:

1. walls with larger windows with the windows that slide open. (like left to right, right to left- not up and down.)  Think sunroom. In the South, a lot of people have sunrooms. When it's winter or early spring, the windows can be opened, and in the summer, they're shut. Speaking of which, that leads to number two-

2. roll up blinds like bamboo. Even if you just had the blinds with three settings, or three separate props showing the blinds in different stages, that would be awesome. (Rolled all the way down, blocking out the light or for night time privacy, then rolled halfway up, then rollled all the way up.)   I don't think anyone has done bamboo rolled blinds, and it's very common in tropical settings. 

3. Sliding glass patio doors. The ones I am having to use swing in or swing out, and all look pretty industrial due to the door handles. We need working patio doors that slide. (Could put that in the sun room, leading to a deck.)

I'm not finding curtains that have settings for sliding, just open and close (and they're different props) so a curtain that is halfway in between open and closed would be nice too. There are times when we want to block the sun but not shut the curtains completely. So:

4.Curtains that open left to right

5. Curtains that are pulled from the middle. Again, neither of these have to be movable, just even having different props of the same curtain that can be substituted in  (pulled back a little, pulled 3/4 way shut, etc) would be better than what I'm not finding now. 

Hope this helps. Thanks so much for the gorgeous sets. The Penthouse Living is my number one favorite set and I'm using it in my book! 

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Nikisatez- what I have trouble finding are:

1. walls with larger windows with the windows that slide open. (like left to right, right to left- not up and down.)  Think sunroom. In the South, a lot of people have sunrooms. When it's winter or early spring, the windows can be opened, and in the summer, they're shut. Speaking of which, that leads to number two-

2. roll up blinds like bamboo. Even if you just had the blinds with three settings, or three separate props showing the blinds in different stages, that would be awesome. (Rolled all the way down, blocking out the light or for night time privacy, then rolled halfway up, then rollled all the way up.)   I don't think anyone has done bamboo rolled blinds, and it's very common in tropical settings. 

3. Sliding glass patio doors. The ones I am having to use swing in or swing out, and all look pretty industrial due to the door handles. We need working patio doors that slide. (Could put that in the sun room, leading to a deck.)

I'm not finding curtains that have settings for sliding, just open and close (and they're different props) so a curtain that is halfway in between open and closed would be nice too. There are times when we want to block the sun but not shut the curtains completely. So:

4.Curtains that open left to right

5. Curtains that are pulled from the middle. Again, neither of these have to be movable, just even having different props of the same curtain that can be substituted in  (pulled back a little, pulled 3/4 way shut, etc) would be better than what I'm not finding now. 

Hope this helps. Thanks so much for the gorgeous sets. The Penthouse Living is my number one favorite set and I'm using it in my book! 

Ok cool. So they way I understand it is that you would want morphing props in the environment to be able to change positions and drapes like we would in RL. Got it! I'll keep that in mind for my next set. And thanks for the comment about Penthouse Living. Would love to see ur book when it's finished.

Cheers

barbult said:
    Nikisatez said:

Has anyone made a modern grocery store or pharmacy? How about a fast food place?

Oh the Polycount on all those items! makes me faint thinking about it LOL

Nikisatez said:
    barbult said:
    Nikisatez said:

Oh the Polycount on all those items! makes me faint thinking about it LOL

Maybe that is why nobody has done them ;-) Novica has some better ideas.

Teenage girl bedroom? Complete with PC, tv and the like?

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404

Personally,I prefer not to "cut out" walls when rendering a scene, even if said wall is behind the camera. There is a very good reason for this: Reflections. If there are any reflective surfaces in the room or on a character (such as belt buckles), they will reflect what's behind the camera. If there's othing there, It just reflects black since, as a rule, I do not use reflection maps. I want my relfective surfaces actually reflecting their environment. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

I need to cut out walls. I hide anything I'm not using in my scenes to maximize on render time. I loved the ability in 3delight to disregard the walls when lighting but you can't do that in IRAY. 

I need to cut out walls. I hide anything I'm not using in my scenes to maximize on render time. I loved the ability in 3delight to disregard the walls when lighting but you can't do that in IRAY. 

I think an Iray Section Plane will do what you want.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/890739/#Comment_890739

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1156806/#Comment_1156806

Nikisatez said:

Ok cool. So they way I understand it is that you would want morphing props in the environment to be able to change positions and drapes like we would in RL. Got it! I'll keep that in mind for my next set. And thanks for the comment about Penthouse Living. Would love to see ur book when it's finished.

Cheers

PM'd you with some specific ideas of things I haven't found or haven't found YET (still digging through thousands of products) that might be of interest. Just brainstorming, won't get my feelings hurt if it's not the direction you want to go. I know your mind is already jam packed with your own ideas wink

edited July 2016

One thing I would like to reiterate for any vendors reading the thread- put door knobs on BOTH sides of the doors please! If I'm using your product and it's a one room wonder, I might be adding to it and there's a door without a knob and you've GROUPED the knob on the other side, it to make things worse.  And grouped the door and wall! So to get one knob, I have to use the entire wall and door too? Ain't happening.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    barbult said:

I think an Iray Section Plane will do what you want.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/890739/#Comment_890739

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1156806/#Comment_1156806

Hmm... Thanks. I will try that.

I'd rather just have the model have sections. Far easier to hide stuff,when content isn't one piece.

edited July 2016

So sorry to hear about Joanna (StudioArtVartanian) who passed away. Among other things I have purchased were Dynasty Hair, Greek Fantasy Hair II, Ades Hair, Aphana Hair, and Khione Hair (very unusual.)  Please see the thread in the Commons regarding Joanna.

Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I saw that earlier.  So sad.  I have the hydra hair which is awesome.  I have a lot of her stuff on my wish list.  Does anyone know what happened?  I didn't know her so I have no idea if she was ill or not but I got the impression she was younger rather than older

I saw that earlier.  So sad.  I have the hydra hair which is awesome.  I have a lot of her stuff on my wish list.  Does anyone know what happened?  I didn't know her so I have no idea if she was ill or not but I got the impression she was younger rather than older

She joined Renderosity in 2006, so I'm guessing she was maybe in her early 20's when she did that? That would be ten years ago, so my first impression was in her 30's at least. She had posted in her gallery and worked on bundling products two days ago. I hope her Mom and family know how much she was respected, I've read repeatedly how generous she was with her time in helping people, and very friendly. Sorry I never got to chat with her or know her. 

Ya I have heard people over and over say what a wonderful person she was and how helpful she was to everyone.  I am sorry that I won't get the chance to know her as well.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited July 2016

I was messing around with the Liquid Pack and then, while looking for a backdrop started messing with some HDR images, which led to messing with the Environment settings for the Dome :)

I found that some HDR images just don't fit on the dome and display properly especially in the scene I was rendering. With a bit of try and see I came up with a set of parameters that worked. I have attached a .pdf which will load full screen as a slide show of the images in Adobe Reader and I have attached a screen shot of the parameters I used. They wont work with all your HDRI or scenes but it is more of a starting point to show one method to try.

The first tw images use an HDR which wouldn't fit to the scene no matter what I did but I thought they looked quite good as is. The next two used an HDR lighting only HDRI which didn't need any adjustments. The next ones used the adjustments and the last is one of my own sky images using these settings.

dive-in..jpg
    367 x 368 - 63K
    pdf
    pdf
    dive-in.pdf
    3M
    Post edited by Fishtales on

I forgot about Liquid Pack! It was for 3DL, right? Those dives look INCREDIBLE! 

Don't you love how you start doing one thing and it leads to so many others? And I forget where I was heading to begin with. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

It is but I added the water material from the pack and then used the Iray Base shader to convert it then tweaked it to my liking. I don't really know what the end is because I never reach it as I look on every scene as a wip because there might be something else that I try which changes it. My problem is that I do that much playing with sliders I end up forgetting how I got there to begin with and what I did before I changed it, I then have to redo everything again and never get the same results twice :)

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    Fishtales said:

My problem is that I do that much playing with sliders I end up forgetting how I got there to begin with and what I did before I changed it, I then have to redo everything again and never get the same results twice :)

Same here. I sometimes remember to keep notes but a lot of time I don't recall how I got what I got. 

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

I'm debating on Harpsburg, anyone know if any of the doors open? Or if not Harpsburg, does Provence have opening doors or shutters?

I'm debating on Harpsburg, anyone know if any of the doors open? Or if not Harpsburg, does Provence have opening doors or shutters?

I'm headed out the door and it will be a few hours, but if someone hasn't checked I'll do it when I get back. Not ignoring you :) 

If my fiberhair ever finishes importing I can check the doors

This discussion has been closed.