Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

if you export the hair as an object instead of renderman curves, I think you could probably end up rigging it and making morphs. It would be faster to simply restyle the hair in LAMH, though! And renderman curves render MUCH MUCH MUCH faster in DS than the geometry obj does. Alessandro would have a more def answer than I do, tho.

The reason I ask is so that if you want to make a hair product for those who DON'T have LAMH, it is possible to put some morphs into the hairstyle to change a few items.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

I don't see why not! I'll give it a try later on and let you know :)

edited December 1969

Thanks!

I figure it would help those who can't quite afford the main product.

And provide vendors with new things to sell for those interested too.

I mean, I would still buy new hairstyles that had been pre-done if they were done well even if I had LAMH because it would save time but I am thinking of others who won't have the money right away for it.

Will those products made with LAMH work in Poser?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited October 2012

RKane_1 said:
    Will those products made with LAMH work in Poser?

Its stated that LAMH will export OBJ versions of the hair. You can then import that in to DS or Poser to complete the HR2 or CR2

I do not believe there will be an easy way of doing that

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I wanted to Post yesterday but I had issues due to line work in my area so I'm going to post this now.

Every time I read this thread I see more and more reasons I will get this when it is finished. The Cost is right about what I expected it to be, we will have a PDF (updated) manual and online tutorials to learn from, it will include default preset files for the common figures (I can study those and create presets for other figures). All that just adds to my desire to have this plugin. The fact that creations from this can be shared with other users is just over the top in my book. This one program will change DS for me and others in ways I have yet to think of. I just can not wait, but I must. It's hard to do but I'm trying to wait without losing my cool.

P.S. Tried climbing through the Monitor and grabbing a copy, As a Drow in your realm I forgot TECH replaced magic. I just bumped my head and knocked over my monitor. You people really need to BELIEVE more. Grumble...

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited October 2012

...I'll try to do what I can, but obviously I can't make dozen and dozen of presets and include those in the plugin without raising the price.

Presets beyond what comes with the initial package could be sold as add-ons :)

[edit] Just saw Kerya had already suggested this ;)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

IMO this plugin offers a large flexibiity when it comes to exporting and using .obj's. Besides the fact that you can reduce the hair complexity and get a smaller .obj file size, each fur file is saved with a companion texture and, very important, it maintains the group binding.
    Example: say you have furred a tiger and you want to export it.

When you do that, LAMH will export the model itself plus all the textures (and by model I mean the figure model), and it will export one or more .obj files and companion textures for the fur (1 .obj file and 1 texture for each shave group).

So, back to the tiger, say you used only 1 shavegroup to build the fur, upon exporting you'll get the figure tiger .obj plus the related textures, and the tiger FUR .obj plus the companion texture build up using the figure texture information. So in practice you'll get the whole model, included fur, and the latter is already TEXTURED with the colors inherited by the figure.
    Also, the fur .obj will contain the same groups inherited from the figure model, so that you might even rig the whole fur .obj into a conforming figure, and it will be quite straightforward since fur groups and figure groups already match. Not to mention that you can build morphs as well...

Now, I hope I could explain, with my poor english, how that works. If not, please tell me and I'll make a better example...

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    ...I'll try to do what I can, but obviously I can't make dozen and dozen of presets and include those in the plugin without raising the price.

Presets beyond what comes with the initial package could be sold as add-ons :)

[edit] Just saw Kerya had already suggested this ;)

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll need to find the time to do that anyway :)

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Your english is far from poor! But yes you should release at least one add on pack after it is released. Can't wait to get my hands on.

• KrazyHorse2KrazyHorse2 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just found this thread and have not read all yet. This looks fantastic, my question is has this been rendered in Reality yet and how does it look with a non biased render engine?

edited December 1969

Just found this thread and have not read all yet. This looks fantastic, my question is has this been rendered in Reality yet and how does it look with a non biased render engine?

Hi, we are in the process of making some renders with Reality and other render engines, stay tuned because soon there will be some images to show.

edited December 1969

I'm not concerned with how it will look, I know what it will look great. My real question has already been brought up which is how intense the files will be. I use Octane and I would love to have some better hair to use (on a single character at at time LOL). So basically I export my scene as an OBJ and all that good stuff and I use about 1-1.5gigs of my 3 gigs of vram with a character and medium complexity scene. So Not sure I can cope with 1.7g of vram for the hair alone.

edited December 1969

Difficult to say. I'm not sure how those engines work (I believe Lux is capable of mixing GPU and CPU and so to use both VRAM and RAM, if I am not mistaken). Also, do those engines work in "buckets" and free the resources allocated after a bucket has been computed?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

Difficult to say. I'm not sure how those engines work (I believe Lux is capable of mixing GPU and CPU and so to use both VRAM and RAM, if I am not mistaken). Also, do those engines work in "buckets" and free the resources allocated after a bucket has been computed?

Lux does not use buckets.

Lux Render is VERY accommodating and will not horde the CPU. If nothing else wants to use the CPU then it will take full advantage of it but the moment another program needs it, Lux will take a back seat until the other program no longer needs it.

edited December 1969

I don't use lux anymore, but Octane doesn't use buckets either. And everything needs to fit in Vram. so that's my concern.

edited December 1969

I don't use lux anymore, but Octane doesn't use buckets either. And everything needs to fit in Vram. so that's my concern.

If you like to run a test, in a couple of days I might send you some test model hair that you can try.
    edited December 1969

If you like to run a test, in a couple of days I might send you some test model hair that you can try.

I'd love too. :)

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited December 1969

I'll try to do what I can, but obviously I can't make dozen and dozen of presets and include those in the plugin without raising the price.

Well, darn.. there goes my request for the armpit and pubic presets for the Genesis Troll... :D

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited December 1969

There will be a collection of presets for Genesis and most common figures, and also some animals, .

You mean like dog and cat presets?

I want the furred alligator!

Actually, rather than delaying the project too much with including a huge number of presets, it might be better to do the majority of presets as freebies via Rendo, ShareCg, etc. Not only could they then serve as advertising for the base product, but I would imagine you'd get a lot of third-party contributions that would cover a lot of the lesser used figures... After all, while LAMH is going to be phenomenal for those working with the base Genesis and Gen 4 figures, it's going to be a godsend for characters like Deco, TY2, etc.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Thought I'd better post a picture before Alessandro boots me out of the Beta program LOL

minotaur2.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 315K
    edited October 2012

Thought I'd better post a picture before Alessandro boots me out of the Beta program LOL

pretty tight.

Edit: Meaning, that looks good :)

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

Wow, that's definitely cool, thanks for sharing this image! What lights did you use?

edited December 1969

Wow, that's definitely cool, thanks for sharing this image! What lights did you use?

I used the Lantios Light 2, one of the best light sets I found for DS

edited October 2012

At this link: https://www.facebook.com/LookAtMyHair/photos_stream

there is a collection of some beta test renders, WIP screenshots, experiments done during beta-testing that we decided to share.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

still waiting for the VIDEOS you said you were going to make for the terrain plugin - so I guess you don't care any more - been 10 months now
    nothing new !
    wish I could get my money back !!!

hope the people get better support for this hair .

edited October 2012

While I was out, I've read a message posted by bigh that has been removed by the moderator.
    For me there was no problem to leave it visible.

@bigh: there are 23 INFINITO tutorial movies on my YT channel. You've always been upset about these tutorials and I honestly don't understand how many more movies I should have done to satisfy you.
    I said I would have done, time allowing, another set of movies to show how I did the Avatar-like floating mountain. I said also that LAMH would have been probably ready in the beginning of September.
    When I can't comply with planned work, it's not because "I don't care of customers" as you said; it's just because things often get more complicated than expected, and need more time and care than planned in the beginning. In the future I'll be very careful with "promising" and scheduling releases, so that nobody will get upset.

So back to us bigh, if you feel that the plugin is useless, please ask a refund to DAZ and if there are issues with that, contact me to my email ( info at alessandromastronardi.com ) and I'll refund it myself. Ok?

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited October 2012

Brother don't bite that's what he's after, you did more than enough tutorials, and I for one am thankful for them !!!

Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

While I was out, I've read a message posted by bigh that has been removed by the moderator.
    For me there was no problem to leave it visible.

@bigh: there are 23 INFINITO tutorial movies on my YT channel. You've always been upset about these tutorials and I honestly don't understand how many more movies I should have done to satisfy you.
    I said I would have done, time allowing, another set of movies to show how I did the Avatar-like floating mountain. I said also that LAMH would have been probably ready in the beginning of September.
    When I can't comply with planned work, it's not because "I don't care of customers" as you said; it's just because things often get more complicated than expected, and need more time and care than planned in the beginning. In the future I'll be very careful with "promising" and scheduling releases, so that nobody will get upset.

So back to us bigh, if you feel that the plugin is useless, please ask a refund to DAZ and if there are issues with that, contact me to my email ( info at alessandromastronardi.com ) and I'll refund it myself. Ok?

I want to apologize to you and every one else for my rant .
    Well sent you a pm .

edited December 1969

It's ok bigh, no need to apologize. It's just that I felt sorry that you could have such problems with it that you felt like I was not caring of customers. I'm only looking forward to settle things so that you can be happy with it.

edited December 1969

Speaking of happy Allesandro customers...

HERE'S ONE!

:D

This discussion has been closed.