TabascoJack's House of Hot Sauce and Art

Comments

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

That's it.  As soon as the laptop comes back to the shop I'm giving these a go.

My work here is done.

laugh

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

My work here is done.

laugh

I think you'll find manage to find something else to tempt her again soon. laugh

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

My work here is done.

laugh

Ya thanks.... lol

My work here is done.

laugh

I think you'll find manage to find something else to tempt her again soon. laugh

That is so true lol...

edited July 2016

Wanted to try out Winterblack Halls, along with what's becoming my two favorite characters...

This is a WIP - the next render is going to have the SSS turned up so that the godrays are more visible.  Also want to try a technique around putting a glow on a magic sword.  The problem is that this scene takes a long time to render, especially with the SSS going on....and I don't have the patience to wait on it during the day.  I'm going to let one bake overnight.

Anyway, here's the WIP:

My Liege

My Liege.jpg
    800 x 600 - 341K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on

That's going to be so cool.  I haven't tried rendering Winterblack halls yet for that very reason.... do let us know how long it actually takes.

That definitely sounds very cool! Looking forward to seeing it!

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728

Great thread - many beautififul renders, and I enjoyed your tutorial for creating the gas giant. I've done a few space/planet renders, but never thought of trying a gas giant.

edited July 2016

Followup:  Bumped up the size, the SSS and added a glow to the blade by duplicating the sword, slightly increasing the scale, setting it emissive, and lowering the opacity to .05 for the blade, and 0 for the guard and hilt.  Then I realized I probably could have just done the same thing with a geoshell. 

Daz 4.9, Iray, Photoshop.  

Postwork involved brightening up the exposure, slightly tweaking saturation, some Color Burn to heighten the shadows, some Dodge to brighten the sword, and some vignetting to top it off.....  And to think, I never thought about doing postwork when I first started this hobby.

Click for the full size render.

My Liege

My Liege - 2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 847K

Jim said:

Great thread - many beautififul renders, and I enjoyed your tutorial for creating the gas giant. I've done a few space/planet renders, but never thought of trying a gas giant.

Thanks, Jim!

Love it.  Really like how the doorway in the back frames her head and shoulders as well.  So how long did it end up taking to render it all the way out?

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728

Nice lighting. The faint volumetrics is a good touch.

Love it.  Really like how the doorway in the back frames her head and shoulders as well.  So how long did it end up taking to render it all the way out?

I think about 2-3 hours.  Really wasn't too long, I guess.

Jim said:

Nice lighting. The faint volumetrics is a good touch.

Thanks!

edited July 2016

Another ring....made in blender, this time without following a tutorial.

Ring 2.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 835K
    edited July 2016

Closeup of the ring in the above render:

Of course, the large render pointed out a glitch in my mesh, where it goes from a sharp edge to a more rounded one when the split starts.....and the diamonds really ought to have more than two prongs holding them in place since there's no other support for them.   Oh well.  First solo attempt.  :-)

Sapphire Ring.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 527K

Well, I say, it looks pretty decent for a first attempt on your own!  Nice ring!  The image with the girl wearing the ring is pretty good, too!

Love it!  I make jewelry in real life (not the gemstone kind like that but the metal smithed kind as well as the wire wrapped stuff.) I have thought about modelling it and the two of you may have pushed me over the edge.  going to have to start with the beginner coffee cup though and learn blender.  I tried it when I first started and was completely lost but I think I may have learned a thing or two since then which hopefully will make it a bit easier.  Laptop is due to be done by the end of next week at the latest.  It was really tough camping without electronics.  The phone doesn't count...lol.

edited July 2016

Sonja, go for it!

Now that I've gotten into it, I'm really impressed with what we can do with a combination of blender and Daz.  I've recently been playing with the physics engine in blender, doing cloth simulation.  I took one of my old daz scenes, exported the figure and the dress into blender as two different objects, and ran a cloth simulation against it.  It worked fairly well.  Need to try it with a wind force next.

Tonight I modeled a simple chain, wrapped it around a circle, and then used rigid body physics to simulate a gold chain necklace against a figure I exported from Daz.  That got me the shape I was looking for, so I exported the necklace from blender, imported it into my original scene in Daz and rendered.....(click attachment for full size image)

GoldNecklace.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 622K

Wow! That looks really nice!  I haven't played with that part of Blender yet!  You're getting ahead of me!  :)  I think I'm going to have to catch up.

Wow! That looks really nice!  I haven't played with that part of Blender yet!  You're getting ahead of me!  :)  I think I'm going to have to catch up.

I feel a tutorial coming on..........

Yay!  I love your tutorials!  I always learn such cool things.

edited July 2016

Fun with Physics.....

Before:

Basic Summer Dress for Genesis 2

After:

Physics applied in Blender to the dress and hair.   Glad we got the render done before the dress slipped completely off her shoulder......laugh

Also added the necklace w/ physics.

rdwr2.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 527K
    rdwr3.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 510K

The hair is subtle, but I like how it drapes.  I'm sure there would be some that say you didn't go quite far enough with the dress.  That looks so natural with the way it drapes off the shoulder and shows the cleavage!  I'm going to have to play with that.

edited August 2016

Making a chain necklace.

1. In Blender, open up a new scene, deleting the standard cube, camera, etc.
    2. Go to the Top Ortho view (Numpad 5, Numpad 7)
    3. Create a mesh torus.  Set the number of Major Segments to 14.
    4. Type "Tab", "Z", "A", to get into Edit mode, wireframe, and deselect everything.
    5. Using the Box Selector, "B", select everything on the right half of the torus.  Pull to the right to create a single chain link.
    6. Type "Tab", Z" to go back to Object mode, solid texture.

Now we want to add more links.
    7. With the torus still selected, click on the "Modifiers" icon (looks like a wrench).  Add an Array Modifier.
    8. Set the count to 200
    9. Under the "Relative Offset" button, decrease the X value to from 1.0 to 0.55.  Now we have a bunch of links.  We just need to rotate them so the interlock.
    10. Type "Shift C" to recenter the 3d cursor (just in case).
    11. Type "Shift-A" to add a new element.  In this case, we select Empty->Plain Axes.
    12. Type "R", "X", "90" to rotate the element 90 degress around the X axis.
    13. Select the Torus.  In the Array modifier window, Click "Object Offset", and then set the object to the "Empty" element that we created in item 11.  We now have a straight chain of 200 interlocked links.
    14. Type (Numpad-1) to go to Front view.
    15. Type "Shift-A" to add a new "Curve-Circle".  EDIT - Using a Path is better, you can edit it so that it gets closer to the geometry of the neck, or whatever the chain will be around.  Use ALT-C to close the loop on the path when in Edit Mode.
    16. Type "R", "X", "90" to rotate the circle 90 degrees.
    17. Type "S", "70" to scale the circle up.
    18. Select the Torus, and add a "Curve" modifier. 
    19. Set the Object to be the Circle created in line 15.  This wraps the chain around the circumference of the circle.  The ends probably don't match up quite right.  To fix that,
    20. Select the Circle.  Type "S" and hold the shift key down for finer control as you change the size of the circle so that the first and last links of the chain line up and interlock properly.  We now have a chain necklace.  But we can't quite do anything with it yet.
    21. At this point, I want to make a copy and stash it off to the side, just in case I mess anything up.  Type "Shift-D", "Enter".  to make a copy in place.  
    22. Type "M" to move the copy to a different layer, and name the object "Backup"
    23. Go back to the first layer.  Right now, the chain is a single link with an array.  We want to make it a chain of 200 separate links.  So, 
    24. Select the Torus.  In the Array Modifer, click "Apply", and in the Curve Modifier, also click "Apply".  We can delete the Empty element and BezierCircle element now also.  

Now we no longer have the array, but it's still one rigid object.  We need to break it up.
    25. With the Torus still selected, type "Tab" to go into Edit mode, and "P" -> By Loose Parts to break up the chain into separate links. 
    26. Type "Tab" to return to Object Mode.  Type "Ctrl-Alt-Shift-C" and set the Origin to Center of Mass.  This will put the origin for each link into it's respective center of mass.
    27. Now we want to apply physics.  Select one of the links.  Click the Physics icon.  It's at the far right of the icons under the scene tree.
    28. Click on the Rigid Body button. 
    29. Under Rigid Body Collisions, change the Shape pulldown menu from "Convex Hull" to "Mesh"
    30. Type "A" twice.  This deselects everything, and then selects everything.  
    31. Go to the list of tabs on the left hand panel, and select Physics.  Click the "Copy from Active" button.  This copies the physics setting for the single link to all the other links.  Important:  this needs to be done every time you modify the physics setting for the chain.
    32. At this point, you can test it if you want.  Create a cylinder, scale it up, and rotate it 90 degrees on the X axis.  On the physics tab on the left, click "Add Passive".  Run the animation.  In all likelihood, the chain will break because it's not actually strong enough.  The solution is to add "Constraints"
    33. Hide the cylinder.  Type "A" to select all the links.
    34. In the Physics Tab on the left, Under "Constraints", click the "Connect" button.
    35. Below, set the type to "Point", location to "Center", and the connection pattern to "Chain by Distance"
    36. Make the cylinder visible again, and run the animation.
    37. Save the .blend file.  

Note - I haven't found a mechanism for merging this necklace into other .blend files without losing the physics.  I'm sure there's a way, but I don't know it yet.  For now, this .blend file needs to be the starting point for draping.  I suggest making a backup copy before doing anything else.  In the next section, we'll look at importing the model from Daz, draping the necklace, and exporting back.

edited July 2016

OK.  Now let's take a look at integrating this with Daz.  While you've been gone, I created a pendant for the necklace, and positioned it so the loop on the pendant surrounds the chain.

1. Open Daz, and set your scene up the way you want it.  
    2. We are going to export the figure (and clothing).  The way we do that is by turning off visibility (using the eye icon in the Scene pane) for everything except the figure and clothes..  Go to File->Export.  Choose a name, and use the following options:

3. Open the blender file that you saved in the previous post.  It should contain the necklace.  
    4. Go to File->Import->Wavefront Object (.obj)
    5. Use the following settings.  (I suggest saving this a preset to save time in the future)

6. Select all the links of the necklace (pendant also, if you have one), and Translate, Rotate, and Scale so that it fits around the figure's neck.

7. Since we scaled the necklace down, I like to reset the scale because the physics engine does weird things on very small objects.  With the necklace and pendant still selected, go to the lower tool bar and select Object->Apply->Scale.
    8. Select the Figure, go to the Physics tab, and Add Passive.
    9. Run the animation.  If you get some weird results with collisions, go to the Scene Button, and find the section labeled Rigid Body World.  The Steps per Second value defaults to 60, try bumping it up to 120.  That forces the physics engine to do more calculations per second and can help if objects slide through each other at the lower value.

10. Make sure you have just the necklace and pendant selected, and go to File-Export->Wavefront Object (.obj).  Name the file something like drapedNecklace.obj and use the following options.  Again, make a preset to save time in the future.

11. Go back to Daz Studio, and select File->Import  Use the following options

12. That should bring the necklace in over the figure.  All you need to do now is set the Surfaces, and render.

pendantring.jpg
    753 x 638 - 35K
    dazexport.jpg
    475 x 544 - 45K
    blenimport.jpg
    243 x 298 - 12K
    position1.jpg
    693 x 433 - 21K
    position2.jpg
    674 x 374 - 25K
    draperesult.jpg
    699 x 574 - 57K
    blenexport.jpg
    239 x 570 - 20K
    dazimport.jpg
    474 x 387 - 33K

"gulp"... I definitely need to start with the coffee cup....

edited July 2016

laugh

....and the final result:

Closeup

pendant1.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 575K
    pendant2.jpg
    989 x 1280 - 794K

Oh, I'm definitely going to have to give this a try!  Nice instructions, too!  

Yes, please do, and don't forget to post it either in my thread or yours so we can see how you did!  :)

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited July 2016

Yes, please do, and don't forget to post it either in my thread or yours so we can see how you did!  :)

No..no..no!!   Wine glass! 

Shees!

Post edited by dHandle on

Will do.  Still waiting on the laptop.  hoping for Friday lol.

edited July 2016

Still playing around a little with a light source and some SSS...

Remembrance

"I cannot but remember such things were,
    That were most precious to me."

William Shakespeare

Remembrance.jpg
    989 x 1280 - 624K