Carrara Challenge #26: “Caustics and Nautical”

123457»

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

+1

Stezza said:

wow

some really great work on this one... if previous challenges were difficult to pick this one is going to be near impossible..

Really great, well done everyone.. you all should win yes

Yes, the advanced fractal generator is fun.  You can change the noise type to have a ridge, and you can tell C8.5 to apply multiple fractals.  You can stack additional heightmaps, generators, and filters in the terrain editor.  Great way to combine a general outline (insert your own basic heightmap) with some randomness (the fractal generator) with some geology (apply erosion filters) to get a unique landsape that still has you basic concept (canyon, plateau, cliffs, etc) but without being too planned.

MistyMist said:
    diomede said:

advanced fractal generator?

fractals sound lik fun

a2 fractal advanced geenrator.jpg
    1680 x 849 - 259K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2016
    Stezza said:

wow

some really great work on this one... if previous challenges were difficult to pick this one is going to be near impossible..
    Really great, well done everyone.. you all should win yes

+1

All are excellent.

My rules for Challenges:

• Enter as often as possible. Each Challenge does just that... I learn seldom it ever used tools etc. in Carrara. These are also a great way to learn from Artists and PAs that are much better than I... who show what can be done and how to do them.
    • Don't not enter because you think you will never win... that would be your loss. The main purpose, IMO, is to learn from the Challenges.
    • Never enter a Challenge expecting to place or get your hopes up when you impress yourself with your entry. Wanting to place and getting your hopes up are fine as long as you're not disappointed when you don't.
    • I try to use features that anyone can do with Carrara but don't hesitate to use either DAZ or 3rd party content.
    • Postwork is fine... I only remembered to use it this Challenge for my signature but might play around with it more if I have more time.
    • If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

So what have I learned after entering only 4 Challenges:

• A lot more about different tools, effects etc. available in Carrara.
    • Modeling my own objects in the Vertex room. Modeling is my favorite thing to do. I've upped my game in way beyond were where it was.
    • Using, finally, the Terrain editor.
    • How to create Shaders a lot better.
    • Many more things... take a look at the past challenges
    • I'm starting to build up my own libraries for everything possible.
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

attached challenge model iffn anyone wants it

zip
    zip
    NauticalDais.car.zip
    MistyMist said:

attached challenge model iffn anyone wants it

Of course I do... but can't open it... reports there is an error in file. :(

it's not really zipped.  just rename taking off the ,zip smiley

got it Thanks

thinkin to keep building on it for the challenges, til it's a dragon's palace smiley

edited August 2016

My rules are close to yours.  I was fortunate to return to graphics and Carrara close to the time that the first Carrara challenges were being offered.  Prior to that, my computer graphics experience (to the extent I had any) was all in data visualization, statistics, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I had toyed with Poser, but only briefly.  Since then I have tried to participate in as many Carrara challenges as possible. Following the amazing work and explanations of people who participate has been amazing.  My skills have improved with many of the tools available in Carrara and I would not have even thought to try many of them but for the challenges.  I encourage you to keep participating and to keep experimenting in your modeling thread.    You are doing great stuff. 

wgdjohn said:
    Stezza said:

My rules for Challenges:

• Enter as often as possible. Each Challenge does just that... I learn seldom it ever used tools etc. in Carrara. These are also a great way to learn from Artists and PAs that are much better than I... who show what can be done and how to do them.
    • Don't not enter because you think you will never win... that would be your loss. The main purpose, IMO, is to learn from the Challenges.
    • Never enter a Challenge expecting to place or get your hopes up when you impress yourself with your entry. Wanting to place and getting your hopes up are fine as long as you're not disappointed when you don't.
    • I try to use features that anyone can do with Carrara but don't hesitate to use either DAZ or 3rd party content.
    • Postwork is fine... I only remembered to use it this Challenge for my signature but might play around with it more if I have more time.

• Modeling my own objects in the Vertex room. Modeling is my favorite thing to do. I've upped my game in way beyond were where it was.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,929

interestng discovery today,

cranked up the reflection in my floor in an interior scene,

rendered it with caustics on and reflections off,

gives a wonderful way to light a scene without having reflections where you dont really want them

ie you can use reflection for your lighting and not necessarily have it show up as reflection

changing the caustics parameters can give really varied and interesting changes in light over different parts of the scene

edited August 2016
    diomede said:

My rules are close to yours.  I was fortunate to return to graphics and Carrara close to the time that the first Carrara challenges were being offered.  Prior to that, my computer graphics experience (to the extent I had any) was all in data visualization, statistics, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I had toyed with Poser, but only briefly.  Since then I have tried to participate in as many Carrara challenges as possible. Following the amazing work and explanations of people who participate has been amazing.  My skills have improved with many of the tools available in Carrara and I would not have even thought to try many of them but for the challenges.  I encourage you to keep participating and to keep experimenting in your modeling thread.    You are doing great stuff. 

wgdjohn said:
    Stezza said:

My rules for Challenges:

I left off one very important thing, if not more, from "So what have I learned after entering only 4 Challenges:"

• The Challenges have forced me to create different scenes and concepts to use the various objects I create in.

Glad you like Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All. I took some time to plan setting up my intro on page 1 and am adding any thread that mentions modeling whether they be Vertex or Spline objects. The link to a few of yours like Learning tips and tricks from prior Carrara Challenge WIP as well as another of yours about making clothing can be found on page 1 on my links post.

I'll be continuing to post my simple examples and problems... hopefully my modeling thread will attract those also new to Carrara. There are so many other examples/tips/ways to model than what I do that I have to occasionally read the whole thing over again.

head wax said:

gives a wonderful way to light a scene without having reflections where you dont really want them

ie you can use reflection for your lighting and not necessarily have it show up as reflection

changing the caustics parameters can give really varied and interesting changes in light over different parts of the scene

Great tip... I'll have to experiment with it.

BTW: Dragon in Amber is awesome.

thanks , it was fun, yes the caustics on and reflections off really breaks up the light and takes a lot away from the cg look,

I've been doing a series of homages to great painters , presently I am working on degas ,...... have done mondrian, vermeer, kahlo, warhol, hugo ball (dadaist) and hopper

the broken light really helps in some, the vermeer is here https://www.facebook.com/andrew.finnie.artist/posts/10210211947324828

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823

went to Canberra to see Degas's works a couple years ago... interesting enlightened

edited August 2016

yes, wonderful artist, there are a few works he did where some areas are very abstract,

his compositions were pretty rad ;)  like he composed with a stanley knife

presently has a show at the NGV?  - heres a pdf on his dancers   http://www.nga.gov/content/dam/ngaweb/research/publications/pdfs/degas-the-dancers.pdf

Post edited by Headwax on

just learned in the lathe tutorial, need to manually delete the original polyline lathed from.

MistyMist said:

just learned in the lathe tutorial, need to manually delete the original polyline lathed from.

I normally save the original polyline so that I can always go back and use it again or modify it for something different. It helps to load the original that is not always quite right so I know what needs be done for a better or different original polyline. Note that the Ruled Surface and Path Sweep tools also keep original polyines until deleted.

wgdjohn said:
    MistyMist said:

I normally save the original polyline so that I can always go back and use it again or modify it for something different. It helps to load the original that is not always quite right so I know what needs be done for a better or different original polyline. Note that the Ruled Surface and Path Sweep tools also keep original polyines until deleted.

path sweep clicked in my head after watching tutt.  may have used up all my clicks tnite, ruled surface not making sense yet 

edited August 2016

Misty, Go to my Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All. I just created examples for you and others about the Ruled Surface tool.

thanks smiley

ready for #27 !!

Can't wait but dunno if ready

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    wgdjohn said:
    head wax said:

Great tip... I'll have to experiment with it.

BTW: Dragon in Amber is awesome.

I completely agree!

head wax said:

thanks , it was fun, yes the caustics on and reflections off really breaks up the light and takes a lot away from the cg look,

I've been doing a series of homages to great painters , presently I am working on degas ,...... have done mondrian, vermeer, kahlo, warhol, hugo ball (dadaist) and hopper

the broken light really helps in some, the vermeer is here https://www.facebook.com/andrew.finnie.artist/posts/10210211947324828

That is SO cool that you're doing that!