Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751
    edited December 1969

That happened to everyone. Things in the DSON category that were showing some very nice discounts suddenly jumped to not-such-a-big-deal levels. I think the very low prices were an accident and those who managed to buy before the jump were extremely lucky.

• Dimension3DDimension3D Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

ketthrove said:
    Any idea if GenX will updated to work with the poser version?

There's no need for an update to GenX. The morphs created by GenX are loaded directly with Genesis when it is imported into Poser. To apply the DUF shaping presets generated by GenX to Genesis, I made a small script to load DSON files without Poser companion files. (The script can be downloaded here: DSON Loader.) However, the morph transfer itself will require DS, because GenX is a DS plugin.

I just looked at your script, good work. I would like to point out one thing however, the "loadCompanionDSONFile" call you are using will only work on files ending in .duf. The preset needs to be a 4.5 preset conforming to the published spec. Also for anyone using this, any assets that file references most be mapped correctly in Poser for it load correclty.

OK, this was a bit of a quick shot ... The DSON importer always looks for a file with the extension "DUF". Usually, it is called directly with the file name (and extension) of the Python script. So I changed the script to temporarily switch the extension to DUF when selecting a DSF file (available for download from my site). Seems to work well also for DSF files in DS 4.0 format with some restrictions (e.g. materials are ignored for figures).

• DeeceyDeecey Posts: 93
    edited December 1969

I apologize if this has been asked already in the onslaught of posts (coming fast and furious) ...

What is the difference between the "regular" content file, and the "legacy" content file? For example, I have two versions here:

12930_TrollforGenesis_1.6_trx.exe (125,463 KB)

12930_TrollforGenesisLegacy_1.6_trx.exe (125,282 KB)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Deecey said:
    I apologize if this has been asked already in the onslaught of posts (coming fast and furious) ...

What is the difference between the "regular" content file, and the "legacy" content file? For example, I have two versions here:

The legacy version is for DS4.0, the regular one is for DS4.5 or Poser or Carrara 8.5

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

I hope the endless Poser-Genesis discussion will now come to an end.

• edited December 1969

Ok, so got everything installed and figure loads properly in poser, so i thought id try to convert clothing, tried the link http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_content_conversion/tutorials/creating_dson_companion_files/start which is awesome, but when i get to Step 3 : Finding the Conversion Action
    The Action to convert files for use in the DSON Importer for Poser can be found in the context menu of Content Library. Simply right-click on “Content Library” and choose “Create Poser Companion Files…”
    i right click in dazstudio 4.5 and there is no create poser companion file option.... so im not sure what i did wrong like i said figure loads properly in poser, so i thought everything was installed correctly..... im so confused...

• Mary WilliamsMary Williams Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Ok... I have a new question.

Brand new, sparkly version of DS4.5 installed. Registered with my DS4.5Pro serial number. Installed all of the files and Genesis loads in Poser just dandy. I go down the list step-by-step to convert clothing to DSON format until I get to where it says to click to “Create Poser Companion Files…” I do not have that option. It's just not there!

http://screencast.com/t/lh5c7kfAAs5

What am I doing wrong?

edited December 1969

Paris_K said:
    Ok, so got everything installed and figure loads properly in poser, so i thought id try to convert clothing, tried the link http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_content_conversion/tutorials/creating_dson_companion_files/start which is awesome, but when i get to Step 3 : Finding the Conversion Action
    The Action to convert files for use in the DSON Importer for Poser can be found in the context menu of Content Library. Simply right-click on “Content Library” and choose “Create Poser Companion Files…”
    i right click in dazstudio 4.5 and there is no create poser companion file option.... so im not sure what i did wrong like i said figure loads properly in poser, so i thought everything was installed correctly..... im so confused...

Instead of right-clicking on the label "Content Library", click on the rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner of the Content Library.

This feature is only on 4.5.1.6

edited December 1969

Nightsong said:

Brand new, sparkly version of DS4.5 installed. Registered with my DS4.5Pro serial number. Installed all of the files and Genesis loads in Poser just dandy. I go down the list step-by-step to convert clothing to DSON format until I get to where it says to click to “Create Poser Companion Files…” I do not have that option. It's just not there!

What am I doing wrong?

You need DS 4.5.1.6

edited December 1969

Ok, that's eerie. We posted the same question in the same minute.

• ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Nightsong said:

What am I doing wrong?

You may need to re-apply the layout to get the action to show up.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited December 1969

I don't know if this will be of help but I find that for Windows 7, I need to run the poser.exe as administrator or else I have problems with accessing certain things, such as PhilC's Wardrobe Wizard. So I set up the poser.exe to run in the administrator mode whenever I start Poser and I don't have anymore problems or strange errors. Just a suggestion.

Thanks.

edited October 2012

Ok, so, at a guess: the free version of DS4 with the big old button that says "download here" won't work, right? We need to actually go and purchase (currently for free) DS4Pro to access the updated downloads in our account in order to use the DSON converter?

Someone may want to label manual conversions using the DSON converter a DS4.5Pro feature, if that is the case, or else update the main Zip accessed on this page just to save themselves some headache: http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studio/daz-studio-what-is-daz-studio

PS: Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!!!

Post edited by Mary Williams on
    edited December 1969

ketthrove said:
    Nightsong said:

What am I doing wrong?

Ahh... layout thingie. How do I do that? :D

edited December 1969

Nightsong said:
    ketthrove said:
    Nightsong said:

What am I doing wrong?

Ahh... layout thingie. How do I do that? :D

Window>Layout

edited December 1969

Thankya!! And... no-go on the layout update. I'm currently downloading DS4.5.x Pro now, let's hope that fixes it.

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,036
    edited December 1969

Ok. I get all the files downloaded and installed. Go to Poser 9 and load Genesis. Attempt to dial up some of the morphs and nothing happens. What did I do wrong?

David

edited October 2012

Ok:
    - Installed DS4.5.x Pro (gotta be careful, as there's two versions of DS4.5 Pro to install in our account area).
    - Reinstalled DSON Genesis Starter Essentials TRX just in case.

NOW the option is there. Thank you guys!

(I'll be back with more questions when I read more of the tutorial... :D Please also consider this my request that dialog windows actually be shown with the options we should have in the tutorial, too!)

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited October 2012

For anyone who updates their Poser installation to Poser SR3.1 -

When installing, on the screen that asks whether or not you want to Backup, Keep or Replace your Preferences, select to KEEP them. If you select anything else, you will need to remap your Genesis Started Essentials location directories.

Post edited by Katherine on
    edited December 1969

It's me again!!!!!!

I'm being blonde. Could I beg a copy of the "Save Figure/Prop Assets" dialog and the "Create Poser Companion Files" dialog, all correctly filled out? The wiki says to make sure each is correctly filled out but, honestly, I wouldn't know "correct" if it bit me on the nose and there are no examples there. :(

I'm doing something wrong when it comes to the conversions, and just trying to figure out -what-.

edited October 2012

Nightsong said:
    It's me again!!!!!!

I'm being blonde. Could I beg a copy of the "Save Figure/Prop Assets" dialog and the "Create Poser Companion Files" dialog, all correctly filled out? The wiki says to make sure each is correctly filled out but, honestly, I wouldn't know "correct" if it bit me on the nose and there are no examples there. :(

I'm doing something wrong when it comes to the conversions, and just trying to figure out -what-.

It has to do with setting up the Metadata. Type is the one you need most for conversion. A dress for example would be "Typed" as:

Follower>Wardrobe>Dress

Clothing will generally follow this (replacing Dress with the appropriate item type, Footwear, Pants, Skirt, etc...)

Props are Props>.....

Materials are Presets>Materials.....

and so forth. :)

Step 4 on the document tells what should be in each line of the Conversion dialog. Depending on your set up and paths, that would vary from user to user.

Kat

• DeeceyDeecey Posts: 93
    edited December 1969

Deecey said:

The legacy version is for DS4.0, the regular one is for DS4.5 or Poser or Carrara 8.5

Thank ye much!

edited December 1969

That's probably where I'm running into trouble, then. The only "type" I'm having available to me is "none" no matter which piece of clothing I try. I did install the Metadata for each, too.

I -knew- I hosed my installation somehow!!!

edited October 2012

Nightsong said:
    That's probably where I'm running into trouble, then. The only "type" I'm having available to me is "none" no matter which piece of clothing I try. I did install the Metadata for each, too.

I -knew- I hosed my installation somehow!!!

Silly question. Is the box checked next to the Type selection? If not, it will just say 'none' and be grayed out.

Kat

edited December 1969

Yup. That's just the sort of mistake I'm always apt to make at first, so I've learned to triple-check myself. LOL!

http://screencast.com/t/ee4COgf22cmS

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687
    edited December 1969

I just finished downloading and installing DSON about half an hour ago. So far I'm very impressed.

I'm using Poser Pro 2012 and I installed the Genesis content into it's own folder, then added it as a new runtime. The loading is quick and smooth. Switching textures and UV's from the Materials library so far seems to be working well - haven't tried the child one yet though, but I'm assuming it uses K4 textures?

Credit where credit is due - thank you to Daz and SM for finally making this happen.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,171
    edited December 1969

ketthrove said:
    Any idea if GenX will updated to work with the poser version?

There's no need for an update to GenX. The morphs created by GenX are loaded directly with Genesis when it is imported into Poser. To apply the DUF shaping presets generated by GenX to Genesis, I made a small script to load DSON files without Poser companion files. (The script can be downloaded here: DSON Loader.) However, the morph transfer itself will require DS, because GenX is a DS plugin.

I just looked at your script, good work. I would like to point out one thing however, the "loadCompanionDSONFile" call you are using will only work on files ending in .duf. The preset needs to be a 4.5 preset conforming to the published spec. Also for anyone using this, any assets that file references most be mapped correctly in Poser for it load correclty.

OK, this was a bit of a quick shot ... The DSON importer always looks for a file with the extension "DUF". Usually, it is called directly with the file name (and extension) of the Python script. So I changed the script to temporarily switch the extension to DUF when selecting a DSF file (available for download from my site). Seems to work well also for DSF files in DS 4.0 format with some restrictions (e.g. materials are ignored for figures).

DSF files produced by DAZ Studio 4.0.x do not conform to the published DSON spec. As such, they will not be read correctly/entirely by the DSON Importer. You may get lucky with the portions of the file that are similar enough, but they are officially NOT supported.

-Rob

edited December 1969

Nightsong said:
    Yup. That's just the sort of mistake I'm always apt to make at first, so I've learned to triple-check myself. LOL!

http://screencast.com/t/ee4COgf22cmS

Make sure your Content Management Service is running. Do you have any Content showing on your Smart Content Tab?

Kat

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited October 2012

I have a question about the Genesis child..I noticed that there are not any clothing items sold for it?? Does it use K4 clothing and character textures and morphs? Not familiar with Genesis so I dont have a clue..:P

Post edited by digitell on
    edited October 2012

Unfortunately not. I started hunting through the menus to try and find a way to start it on my own, too, but I'm coming up short. Ah... I found it on my Start menu. Yay! Started DAZ Content Manager Service, saw no change, restarted DS4.5... and still nothing there.

Have I achieved "most needy CS headache" status yet? :P

Edit: It does appear to be running in Task Manager, at least...

This discussion has been closed.