Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• ExGeminiExGemini Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I've an issue right at the start of PoserPro 2012.

I download and installed the right plug-in file for the 64bit in my c:\PoserPro directory.
    I've installed the 2 Essentials in the secondary SSD drive d:\runtime\etc etc

When I fire up poser it opens a small scrip windows called "MainWacros and inside there is writen the following:
    An errror occurred importing addon dson :

if I try to load Genesis from my runtime library, it gives me this error
    "An errror occurred importing addon dson :
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "D:\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    File "C:\PoserPro\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 3, in
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe8 in position 37: invalid continuation byte
    "

I made sure to follow the instruction from the tutorial and all seems in place, expect for this errors, any leads?

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind this is an importer... all of your content development still needs to be done in DS until Poser natively supports the format.

Gotcha, so if I save a character that uses GenX morphs, do you know if it import fully?

GenX 4.5 update saves the the morphs in the 4.5 format so I think they should work.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Wow, if this works as advertised, this will be huge!! I use both poser and DS and have enjoyed genesis in DS4 (with reality and luxrender) for quite some time. I rarely open poser 2012 lately as I love working with genesis. Now all I need if the new reality to poser plugin when released.

Any idea if GenX will updated to work with the poser version?

If this works as advertised, the negative poser users that bashed DAZ in the past will have nothing to complain about, oh wait, they will find something, my bad.

SInce Gen-X adds morphs to Genesis, the generated Morphs already work using the DSON importer.
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,508
    edited December 1969

timoteo said:
    Hi. Very excited about this, but it doesn't seem to work (at least for me.) I'm running Poser Pro 2012 on Win7 64-bit. I installed the DSON importer, then the Genesis Files, then the Genesis for Poser files.

When I launch Poser I am getting the following error in a "mainWacros" window:

>>>>>An errror occurred importing addon dson :
    ERROR: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

ERROR: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.<<<<</p>

Also, when trying to use an item under the DSON Scripts menu, I get the following ...

>>>>>>
    File "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
    import dson;
    File "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 3, in
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
    <<<<<<<</p>

It appears the module is not being found. Is there a specific directory that the DSON Importer is supposed to be installed to?

Thanks,
    Tim

You need SR3 of Poser 2012 to get this to work.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

timoteo said:
    Hi. Very excited about this, but it doesn't seem to work (at least for me.) I'm running Poser Pro 2012 on Win7 64-bit. I installed the DSON importer, then the Genesis Files, then the Genesis for Poser files.

Also, when trying to use an item under the DSON Scripts menu, I get the following ...

>>>>>>
    File "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
    import dson;
    File "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 3, in
    <<<<<<<</p>

It appears the module is not being found. Is there a specific directory that the DSON Importer is supposed to be installed to?

Thanks,
    Tim

Make sure you downloaded the correct 32 or 64bit version. If you are in Poser 9, install to that directory. The DSON Importer Documentation covers exactly what should go where. :)

You also need SR3 for your Poser version.

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    timoteo said:

>>>>>>
    import dson;
    <<<<<<<</p>

Thanks,
    Tim

Yes. Thank you for that too. We do have that in the doc, but I always forget to mention that one. :) Sorry!!

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,750
    edited December 1969

Nightsong said:
    Thank you for this, especially I thank you for making the DSON free. I'm going to give it a go just as soon as everything downloads. If I like what I see (i.e. how well Genesis looks and works in Poser), I will rejoin the Platinum Club and grab some of those outfits that I liked but was unable to make use of before. :)

Question: I did buy a few Genesis things just in case this day came like Anubis and a couple RawArt sets. Those are not in the DSON category yet but you mentioned earlier in the thread that "an action to convert files for use in the DSON Importer for Poser has been added to DAZ Studio version 4.5.1.6" So can I just do that instead of waiting for new downloads for those products?

I second everything LizzieP said, including the questions. :D

I will be working on updating my files
    Unfortunately I dont have a new enough version of poser to see how this all works yet.
    But I should be able to find a way to do conversions regardless.
    It may take a while...so be patient with me.....I have ALOT of genesis stuff

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557
    edited October 2012

Any idea if GenX will updated to work with the poser version?

GenX morphs should load fine - they just get added to the Genesis Data folder like any other morph.

Thanks Richard!

I am assuming that poser needs to have SR3 installed before using this, correct?

EDIT you guys are fast today,, thanks for all the info!!

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • TimoteoTimoteo Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Follow-up to my post about it not working (same error as ExGemini) ... Do you need to have DazStudio installed perhaps??

edited December 1969

Keep in mind this is an importer... all of your content development still needs to be done in DS until Poser natively supports the format.

Gotcha, so if I save a character that uses GenX morphs, do you know if it import fully?

GenX 4.5 update saves the the morphs in the 4.5 format so I think they should work.They do, that was part of my testing before release. :)

• edited December 1969

Trying it out right now. I knew this day would come eventually =P

edited December 1969

Yes. Thank you for that too. We do have that in the doc, but I always forget to mention that one. :) Sorry!!

Yes, I already have SR3 (which broke the wind generator, btw, in case any of you didn't know. They are supposed to working on a hotfix.), and I installed (only downloaded) the 64-bit version. I installed it into my default Poser 2012 path. Anything else I could be missing here? Again, does DazStudio need to be installed by any chance?

Thanks,
    Tim

edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Nightsong said:
    Thank you for this, especially I thank you for making the DSON free. I'm going to give it a go just as soon as everything downloads. If I like what I see (i.e. how well Genesis looks and works in Poser), I will rejoin the Platinum Club and grab some of those outfits that I liked but was unable to make use of before. :)

Question: I did buy a few Genesis things just in case this day came like Anubis and a couple RawArt sets. Those are not in the DSON category yet but you mentioned earlier in the thread that "an action to convert files for use in the DSON Importer for Poser has been added to DAZ Studio version 4.5.1.6" So can I just do that instead of waiting for new downloads for those products?

Unfortunately I dont have a new enough version of poser to see how this all works yet.
    It may take a while...so be patient with me.....I have ALOT of genesis stuffThe conversion is done in DS, you can't test it without 9 SR3 or 2012 SR3, but you can do the conversion. :)

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

it gives me an error while running the script...its says

File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
    import dson;
    File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 3, in
    ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

but im on a 64bit machine with latest sr3 poser pro 2012 and i installed the 64 bit version!!!

what is going on?

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,750
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Nightsong said:

It may take a while...so be patient with me.....I have ALOT of genesis stuffThe conversion is done in DS, you can't test it without 9 SR3 or 2012 SR3, but you can do the conversion. :)

Doing a conversion without testing it is like making ice on the sun...it might technically work, but you can never tell.

(so all I can say is...everybody who wants conversions...vote for my image in rosities halloween contests.....I cant tell you which it is, but vote anyway LOL)

Rawn

• SabbySabby Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx.exe -- isn't downloading for me~

edited December 1969

Isikol said:

but im on a 64bit machine with latest sr3 poser pro 2012 and i installed the 64 bit version!!!

what is going on?

Same exact thing here for me and another user. I'm starting to suspect that perhaps the 64-bit version is not ready for primetime perhaps.

-Tim

• edited December 1969

My congratulations to DAZ3D. I always believed that this level of cooperation between DAZ3D and Smith Micro was possible and in the best interest of both companies and the whole community.

I have recently spent nearly $1000 at DAZ3D store. Now, it seems I may be spending more...

For Poser users! Please remember that PhilC has Genesis specific add on support files for Wardrobe Wizard available at his site store.

lmk

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you . canot wait to give it a go :) ( it is late and have to go to sleep, but tommorow have to play!)

edited December 1969

Be kind... this is my first full render that I've posted using Poser. I revisited my first PA product updated to Genesis, Axel M5 with some IDL and found one of those Poser logos to put on it too! It came out a bit dark, so I had to brighten it up in Photoshop. Also figured out how to create a DSON scene subset with Bluebird3D's "A Bright Loft" (which is DS only) and imported that into Poser as well.

AxelM5InPoser.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 217K
    edited December 1969

timoteo said:
    Isikol said:

what is going on?

Same exact thing here for me and another user. I'm starting to suspect that perhaps the 64-bit version is not ready for primetime perhaps.

-Tim

64bit should be just fine. :) It is what I have been using for the past 2 weeks for testing and conversion. Did you install all 3 installers? (If you answered, sorry....I am trying to keep up here. LOL)

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Nice!

Oh, also kudos to Daz for making this free for a limited time. And a question - what IS that limited time? I've already picked it up, but many may want to know...Thanks :)

edited December 1969

Male-M3dia - very nice. :)

edited December 1969

Just realized ...

This means all of 3DUniverse's recent offering that were (aggravatingly) Genesis only, will work with Poser, correct? Yeee-haaa! Now if I could just get it to work.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Do I have to manually go back to every character and check if it's compatible? If they are compatible, do I need to redownload them?

edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    The conversion is done in DS, you can't test it without 9 SR3 or 2012 SR3, but you can do the conversion. :)

Doing a conversion without testing it is like making ice on the sun...it might technically work, but you can never tell.

(so all I can say is...everybody who wants conversions...vote for my image in rosities halloween contests.....I cant tell you which it is, but vote anyway LOL)

RawnI know, but I also know you use Beta testers. :) I also know you are a perfectionist (which is a good thing) so you want to see it yourself, :) however you can always start converting now, since you have a large portfolio and then check them after you get a copy of Poser 9/2012. :)

edited December 1969

64bit should be just fine. :) It is what I have been using for the past 2 weeks for testing and conversion. Did you install all 3 installers? (If you answered, sorry....I am trying to keep up here. LOL)

LOL, no problem ... yes, this thread has entered "Crazy Tier 7" status. ;) But yes, I did ... as I said, I installed the Importer, than Genesis Essent., then Genesis Essent. for Poser. I see the Python (a.py, a .pyc, a .dll, a .pyd, and two more .dll's) in the Runtime>Python>addons>dson directory.

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

timoteo said:
    Isikol said:

what is going on?

-Tim

yes all of them!

edited December 1969

O.o

Geografted toast works too!

(re rendering)

edited December 1969

timoteo said:
    Isikol said:

what is going on?

-TimIf your Poser Runtime is in Program files, which is not writable and not where Microsoft recommends putting data, it won't work.

This discussion has been closed.