Genesis Meets Poser - Introducing DSON Importer for Poser

Comments

• griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

So then... I have to go reset my M5 and V5 bundles and the few other items I have as well? What about S5?

• AkuraAkura Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Ummm hehe what do i install first an when i try to install the thing for poser it asks for 2012 but i got 9 is that the same thing :O which one do I install first :3

• Dream9StudiosDream9Studios Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

Thank you for this, especially I thank you for making the DSON free. I'm going to give it a go just as soon as everything downloads. If I like what I see (i.e. how well Genesis looks and works in Poser), I will rejoin the Platinum Club and grab some of those outfits that I liked but was unable to make use of before. :)

Question: I did buy a few Genesis things just in case this day came like Anubis and a couple RawArt sets. Those are not in the DSON category yet but you mentioned earlier in the thread that "an action to convert files for use in the DSON Importer for Poser has been added to DAZ Studio version 4.5.1.6" So can I just do that instead of waiting for new downloads for those products?

• edited December 1969

I am getting errors when loading Gebesus, the importer is trying to load an OBJ file of seemingly random name generation from what I can tell. But I have no way of knowing where it is looking for this. With no documentaiton it's tricky to understand what is happening.

Hope somebody can assist.

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited October 2012

akura said:
    Ummm hehe what do i install first an when i try to install the thing for poser it asks for 2012 but i got 9 is that the same thing :O which one do I install first :3

This should help you. :)

DSON Importer Documentation

Post edited by Katherine on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Laschae said:
    Do Genesis products need to be installed into my main Poser Runtime? I only have a 120gb SSD for my main drive and I dunno t hat I wanna clog it up with extra stuff....

I'd create a separate directory for your Genesis content. Not sure of the official instructions (I had to wing it), but I created a separate directory for then installed the essentials into that. Possibly you would want a "My Library superset over that so its"

GenesisPoser-
    **** My Library
    ******** Runtime.

I think will put everything in one place and speed up looking for files once you add the runtime into poser.

edited October 2012

jarm said:
    I am getting errors when loading Gebesus, the importer is trying to load an OBJ file of seemingly random name generation from what I can tell. But I have no way of knowing where it is looking for this. With no documentaiton it's tricky to understand what is happening.

Hope somebody can assist.

Here are the docs for you.

Post edited by Katherine on
  • AkuraAkura Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

thank you so much kat =) btw the starter pack is that for poser or for daz ? this is a really nice thing you guys came out with. im a huge genesis fan =)

• DAZ_KevinDAZ_Kevin Posts: 2,420
    edited December 1969

M5-- Yes
    V5- Yes
    S5-- Not yet, but we are working on it.

Sunfire said:
    So then... I have to go reset my M5 and V5 bundles and the few other items I have as well? What about S5?
  • DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

akura said:
    thank you so much kat =) btw the starter pack is that for poser or for daz ? this is a really nice thing you guys came out with. im a huge genesis fan =)

Yea, I like his music too!

edited December 1969

akura said:

You will need all 3 files listed in the Docs.

14812_GenesisStarterEssentials_1.6_trx.exe (DAZ Studio files)
    14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.6_dpc.exe (Poser Files)
    DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.0.0.9_Win64.exe (Importer)

• edited December 1969

perfect, loaded and happy bunny.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    edited December 1969

Wow, am I allowed to say 'hell to the yeah!!!'???? Cuz this is awesome. :lol: Thanks Daz and SM :) Downloaded and ready to install.
    Now I hope they work like there's no tomorrow getting our 'Itemized Order History' working right so we can more easily get to our already purchased content. I'd like to see a 'clickable' link at the top of the columns to sort by 'title', 'date' and 'vendor' like we can at rendo. Also a proper and accurate search engine when you're looking for something quickly. I've got 3053 items and no way to organize them by title or anything here at Daz. :(

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Wow, if this works as advertised, this will be huge!! I use both poser and DS and have enjoyed genesis in DS4 (with reality and luxrender) for quite some time. I rarely open poser 2012 lately as I love working with genesis. Now all I need if the new reality to poser plugin when released.

Any idea if GenX will updated to work with the poser version?

If this works as advertised, the negative poser users that bashed DAZ in the past will have nothing to complain about, oh wait, they will find something, my bad.

Keep in mind this is an importer... all of your content development still needs to be done in DS until Poser natively supports the format.

• Mary WilliamsMary Williams Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Thank you for this, especially I thank you for making the DSON free. I'm going to give it a go just as soon as everything downloads. If I like what I see (i.e. how well Genesis looks and works in Poser), I will rejoin the Platinum Club and grab some of those outfits that I liked but was unable to make use of before. :)

Question: I did buy a few Genesis things just in case this day came like Anubis and a couple RawArt sets. Those are not in the DSON category yet but you mentioned earlier in the thread that "an action to convert files for use in the DSON Importer for Poser has been added to DAZ Studio version 4.5.1.6" So can I just do that instead of waiting for new downloads for those products?

I second everything LizzieP said, including the questions. :D

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

I'm being dumb here.

For those of us with a DS4 My Library, to use DSON stuff in Poser, can we just hook Poser into the DS4 My Library and install the poser companion files into the DS4 My Library? Or are we supposed to install the specific DSON stuff for Poser either in an existing Runtime, or a completely separate folder?

If we can just use our normal My Library, will the Poser companion files show up when using DS4? Will Poser only show the DSON files for which there are companion files and ignore all the .daz scenes, .dsa scripts and whatnot?

• edited December 1969

Here are the docs for you.

Kat, did you write that documentation? If so, I really like your style.

edited December 1969

Nightsong said:

We also have documentation on converting content as well....

Converting Content for use with the DSON Importer for Poser

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Wow Christmas in October!! I have a question about poser materials/shaders... are they going to be provided for Genesis products?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

Laschae said:
    Do Genesis products need to be installed into my main Poser Runtime? I only have a 120gb SSD for my main drive and I dunno t hat I wanna clog it up with extra stuff....

No, but they do need to be in a folder that you have mapped as a Poser library - with the Data folder next to the Runtime folder. It also needs a writable folder, not one that the OS protects, as it creates files.

• DAZ_KevinDAZ_Kevin Posts: 2,420
    edited December 1969

Look here : http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_content_conversion/start
    For information on converting content we have not yet converted. It may need some adjustment, so if you are not comfortable doing that, you will want to wait. If you are, I know Poser has some great tools to help, and then you don't need to wait for us!

Nightsong said:

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind this is an importer... all of your content development still needs to be done in DS until Poser natively supports the format.

Gotcha, so if I save a character that uses GenX morphs, do you know if it import fully?

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Don't know if this will help anyone - I was trying to figure out how to know which items have been updated.

This is a list in alphabetical order of the 96 items showing right now

A3 and H3 Shapes for Genesis
    A4 and H4 for Genesis
    Abominable
    Alruna
    Beasts and Brutes
    Bella Hair
    Benjamin for M5
    Buccaneer Basic for Genesis
    Casual Surf Wear for Genesis
    Chelsea Hair
    Clothing Cleavage Modifier
    Dark Priest Poses for M5
    David 3 for Genesis
    DragonLord for Genesis
    Eastern Riding Wear
    Easy Going Poses for Michael 5
    Elven Dress for Genesis
    Elven Hair for Genesis
    Ethnicity for Genesis Bundle
    Ethnicity for Genesis: African
    Ethnicity for Genesis: Asian
    Ethnicity for Genesis: Native American
    Expressive for Genesis
    Fantasy Shapes for Genesis
    Feminine Touch for Genesis
    Feminine Touch for Genesis
    G4 and F4 for Genesis
    Gabi for V5
    Gen 3 Iconic Shapes for Genesis
    Genesis Bikini
    Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 1
    Genesis Creature Creator Bodies
    Genesis Creature Creator Bundle
    Genesis Creature Creator Heads
    Genesis Evolution: Body Morphs
    Genesis Evolution: Head Morphs
    Genesis Evolution: Morph Bundle
    Genesis Evolution: Muscularity
    Genesis Head Morph Resource Kit 1
    Genesis Head Morph Resource Kit 2
    Genesis Head Morph Resource Kit 3
    Genesis Ranger
    Genesis Starter Bundle
    GOM Genesis Male Morphs
    Hampton Hair
    Handsome Head Morphs for Genesis
    Handy for Genesis
    James for M5
    Knights and Knaves for Genesis
    M5 Casual Male
    M5 Photographic Poses
    Magna Hart for Genesis
    Manly Men M5
    Medieval Male Peasant Clothing for Genesis
    Men of Character II
    Michael 5
    Michael 5 3D Model Pro Suite
    Michael 5 Pro Bundle
    Morphing Fantasy Dress for Genesis
    Night Guardians
    Outland Marauder for Genesis
    Pajamas for Michael 5
    Pin Up Poses for V5
    Poke-Away!
    Posed for Victoria 5
    Preppy for Genesis
    Princess
    Pure Hair Bubblegum
    Pure Hair Casual
    Pure Hair Classic
    Pure Hair Nightlife
    Pure Hair: Sleek
    Pyrit Hair
    Reby Sky for Genesis
    SciFi Bunny For Genesis
    Scoopback Mini Dress for Genesis
    Sexy Silky For Genesis
    Starla Hair
    Stephanie 3 and FREAK Shapes for Genesis
    Stephanie 4 for Genesis
    Street Mage For Genesis
    SWOLE for Genesis
    Tori for V5
    Town and Country for Genesis
    Trixy Hair for Genesis
    Troll for Genesis
    V3 and M3 Shapes for Genesis
    V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis
    Victoria 5
    Victoria 5 3D Model Pro Suite
    Victoria 5 Elite Ponytail Hair
    Victoria 5 Pro Bundle
    Victoria 5 Starter Bundle
    Wicked Dance Fevah
    Wicked Fairytale Morphs
    Zac Hair

• TimoteoTimoteo Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Hi. Very excited about this, but it doesn't seem to work (at least for me.) I'm running Poser Pro 2012 on Win7 64-bit. I installed the DSON importer, then the Genesis Files, then the Genesis for Poser files.

When I launch Poser I am getting the following error in a "mainWacros" window:

>>>>>An errror occurred importing addon dson :
    ERROR: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

An errror occurred importing addon dson :
    ERROR: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.<<<<</p>

Also, when trying to use an item under the DSON Scripts menu, I get the following ...

>>>>>>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
    import dson;
    File "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 3, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
    <<<<<<<</p>

It appears the module is not being found. Is there a specific directory that the DSON Importer is supposed to be installed to?

Thanks,
    Tim

edited December 1969

digitell said:
    This is so great! I installed the Importer and the Essentials..and I restarted Poser but I do not see how to import items into Poser? How does it work? I chose to look at the readme file after the installation of importer but a Daz Documentation Center PAGE NOT FOUND error came up..so I cannot read how to use it. Anyone know where there are instructions for using this? Thanks in advance! :)

You should see the content in your Poser library - when you double-click a file it runs a Python script which launches the importer. You also should find some utilities in the Scripts>DSON Importer menu, but you don't need to do anything new for the actual import.

edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    I'm being dumb here.

For those of us with a DS4 My Library, to use DSON stuff in Poser, can we just hook Poser into the DS4 My Library and install the poser companion files into the DS4 My Library? Or are we supposed to install the specific DSON stuff for Poser either in an existing Runtime, or a completely separate folder?

If we can just use our normal My Library, will the Poser companion files show up when using DS4? Will Poser only show the DSON files for which there are companion files and ignore all the .daz scenes, .dsa scripts and whatnot?

You can install to any writable directory, including your DS4 "My Library". :) They just need to be added to Poser in the usual manner using the + Add feature.

edited December 1969

Any idea if GenX will updated to work with the poser version?

GenX morphs should load fine - they just get added to the Genesis Data folder like any other morph.

• Dream9StudiosDream9Studios Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Kevin said:
    Look here : http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_content_conversion/start
    For information on converting content we have not yet converted. It may need some adjustment, so if you are not comfortable doing that, you will want to wait. If you are, I know Poser has some great tools to help, and then you don't need to wait for us!

Thank you! I'm a content creator myself in Poser so I should be able to handle it. :D Now I've got a lot of reading and downloading to do!

• Mary WilliamsMary Williams Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Thank you muchly for the quick answer!

And thank y'all for answering all of the questions. You can bet there's going to be a whooooole bunch of them for a while yet. ;)

edited December 1969

timoteo said:
    Hi. Very excited about this, but it doesn't seem to work (at least for me.) I'm running Poser Pro 2012 on Win7 64-bit. I installed the DSON importer, then the Genesis Files, then the Genesis for Poser files.

When I launch Poser I am getting the following error in a "mainWacros" window:

>>>>>An errror occurred importing addon dson :
    ERROR: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

An errror occurred importing addon dson :
    ERROR: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.<<<<</p>

Also, when trying to use an item under the DSON Scripts menu, I get the following ...

>>>>>>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\DSON Support\Importer Preferences....py", line 2, in
    import dson;
    File "C:\Graphics\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 3, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
    <<<<<<<</p>

It appears the module is not being found. Is there a specific directory that the DSON Importer is supposed to be installed to?

Thanks,
    Tim

Make sure you downloaded the correct 32 or 64bit version. If you are in Poser 9, install to that directory. The DSON Importer Documentation covers exactly what should go where. :)

This discussion has been closed.