StrangeFate's stuff: Tribal Armor & Body Paints out now!

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

He looks great.  But then, you always do an excellent job with your renders, Greg!

I am curious if you used the move to hand pose and, if yes, did you have any problems with it going where it should since Ogora is a different figure.  I think most poses for G3 have problem transferring to other generations when the poses involve below the waist more than above the waist.  So, I would think it should have worked, but I'm curious as I can't test that out yet.  I've been wanting to test the weapons out on a few of the males, but, of course, I'm STILL rendering!

I went back and looked at the original version and I have a hard time figuring out which one I like best.  I liked the first one, but he just looks so natural with a weapon in his hand that I like this version, too!  Excellent job!

Thanks, Knittingmommy. And to answer your question, no - I quickly positioned the weapon manually (and rather poorly, too lol). I've had renders that have gone for weeks, but that was animation. You must be one patient woman!

- Greg

Yes, well, I'm getting less and less patient as time goes on!     I've been learning how to do things in GIMP that I've been wanting to do for awhile, though, just to keep sane since I can't do anything in DS.  I've been uploading the results to the new Background thread.  And, I've managed to get quite a bit of writing done which is a good thing if I ever want to finish my book.  I've already missed quite a few self-imposed deadlines.  It seems as if the closer I get to the end the longer it takes to finish.  A little bit like this render.

You must have the patience of a saint! I don't think I'd have that kind of patience. The longest I've waited for a render was an 50 minutes and I thought that was long. I've since been finding out that less than an hour is really fast for many people. I'm blessed to have a newish computer, but then again I need it for work as I have to produce high resolution digital art for comic companies. I know a lot of people have to deal with old computers and that makes me sad. I wish I was rich - if I was I'd buy you a new computer Knittingmommy. It sucks to have to struggle with patience and such long render times to create your art. Hopefully you'll be able to upgrade sometime soon. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited June 2016

I think I would kill someone if I had to wait that long to render. I am also fortunate that my old computer died and I have a newer one as well although I found Daz AFTER I bought the new one.  However, I am a big gamer so while some things I might have tweaked and changed, I lucked out and chose the nvidea card over the amd which I had before and of course I have tons of ram and memory or I wouldn't be able to play Skyrim etc lol.

Divamakeup it was intended to be a twilightish render although I may change her haircololr to give it a bit more contrast I think it blends just a bit too much right now.  As KM says just a touch TOO much purple lol.

I have a dungeon scene rendering now which will be done soon but this one is slated for post work so will take another day or two. I am feeling like I am a bit more comfortable in Studio now and want to start combining my beginner to intermediate skills in photoshop with my mostly beginner skills in studio lol. So while I will still be doing quick scenes and character tests I also want to get a bit more serious and spend some time actually finishing finishing things ...

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • StrangeFateStrangeFate Posts: 756

I think tonight I'll put everything together for the store submission... which at this point is just the imagery, including some of the images from this thread.

And I do love that image too Ice Dragon, has a classic feel to it... and I keep waiting for the wind to change and her hair to wrap around her face mid combat...

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Why are these not in the store yet so I can buy them? :P

Just kidding, great work!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,324

I've managed to get quite a bit of writing done which is a good thing if I ever want to finish my book.  I've already missed quite a few self-imposed deadlines.  It seems as if the closer I get to the end the longer it takes to finish.  A little bit like this render.

It's always that way,  writing is a marathon.  You only get through it with practice, perseverance and a lot of deep breaths. Plus you get to look forward to the second draft rewrite. laugh

I think tonight I'll put everything together for the store submission... which at this point is just the imagery, including some of the images from this thread.

And I do love that image too Ice Dragon, has a classic feel to it... and I keep waiting for the wind to change and her hair to wrap around her face mid combat...

Haha that would be so bad lol! Thank god its fantasy, if I was a warrior like this my hair would be super short and practical lol. The one that finished last night, that I am going to do some post work on, actually uses the caleb hair for V4 which is a tight, shorter corn row braided style.  Keeps things out of the way and nice and tidy lol

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576
    edited June 2016

Had another playtime session after lunch today. Took a bit more time posing Ogora's hand, and went for more dramatic lighting, which I like much better than the lazy HDRI lighting I used in the last version. I'm diggin Iray.

I didn't want to upload it to the forums, but let me know if you want a larger version for anything, Mario (the original is 2400x3120). Also, here's a crop showing the detail on the blade - awesome!

- Greg

ogora-3-600.png
    600 x 780 - 325K
    detail.png
    464 x 464 - 189K
    Post edited by algovincian on

Looks awesome Greg! He's so baddass he's nails are made of steel! The details read really well, I think better than in the close ups I did, didn't want to wait for hires renders :)

I would love a higher res version if you don't mind, for the store they can be 1300x1000 or 650x500 so anything around that or more would be great, I can scale down and crop it myself.

edited June 2016

The Last Goblin - of course, after spending two days on this I realize that she isn't looking at the goblin.... Went back in to photo shop and fixed it lol.

The Last Goblin.jpg
    1350 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Well, my render finally finished and I'm fairly happy with it.  Now, that it's uploaded to my gallery, I can take a look at the new weapons file first thing in the morning.  I have to give my poor computer a rest and actually shut her down tonight.  She's been through the wringer on this last one and after just slightly over the 6 day mark of rendering I think she deserves a break.  

I like your image, Sonja.  It's a little gory, but then I guess that happens with weapons.  :)

I think I would kill someone if I had to wait that long to render. I am also fortunate that my old computer died and I have a newer one as well although I found Daz AFTER I bought the new one.  However, I am a big gamer so while some things I might have tweaked and changed, I lucked out and chose the nvidea card over the amd which I had before and of course I have tons of ram and memory or I wouldn't be able to play Skyrim etc lol.

Divamakeup it was intended to be a twilightish render although I may change her haircololr to give it a bit more contrast I think it blends just a bit too much right now.  As KM says just a touch TOO much purple lol.

I have a dungeon scene rendering now which will be done soon but this one is slated for post work so will take another day or two. I am feeling like I am a bit more comfortable in Studio now and want to start combining my beginner to intermediate skills in photoshop with my mostly beginner skills in studio lol. So while I will still be doing quick scenes and character tests I also want to get a bit more serious and spend some time actually finishing finishing things ...

If you're doing post work in Photoshop I highly recommend the Nik Collection - it's free and it's from Google. It's a great set of tools for post work in Photoshop. It's FABULOUS! :)

Well, my render finally finished and I'm fairly happy with it.  Now, that it's uploaded to my gallery, I can take a look at the new weapons file first thing in the morning.  I have to give my poor computer a rest and actually shut her down tonight.  She's been through the wringer on this last one and after just slightly over the 6 day mark of rendering I think she deserves a break.  

I like your image, Sonja.  It's a little gory, but then I guess that happens with weapons.  :)

Six days! Whoa! I hope you post the image, I'd like to see. :)

Had another playtime session after lunch today. Took a bit more time posing Ogora's hand, and went for more dramatic lighting, which I like much better than the lazy HDRI lighting I used in the last version. I'm diggin Iray.

I didn't want to upload it to the forums, but let me know if you want a larger version for anything, Mario (the original is 2400x3120). Also, here's a crop showing the detail on the blade - awesome!

- Greg

That is so bad-azz! I really like it! That extreme perspective is awesome! Great work, Greg! 

Ya, generally, you can't really kill a goblin without blood...lol.  I have the NIK collection Divamakeaup I just need to remember to try it out lol.

Wow 6 days is a long time KM... Poor computer sounds like she gave you all she had!  Can't wait to see it!

The Last Goblin - of course, after spending two days on this I realize that she isn't looking at the goblin.... Went back in to photo shop and fixed it lol.

That's why the big weapons Ice Dragon, even if you're distracted staring into the distance, all you have to do is swing in the general direction of the enemy :)

Well, I'm getting ready to take a look at the weapons again so I hope to have something soon.  As for my image, I don't want to post it here since there aren't any of strangefate's weapons in it.  If you want to see the image, you can go here to my gallery and that link will take you directly to the image page.  I've also posted it to the Ogora thread and the Show us your iray renders thread.

That's why the big weapons Ice Dragon, even if you're distracted staring into the distance, all you have to do is swing in the general direction of the enemy :)

This is true lol.

Well, I'm getting ready to take a look at the weapons again so I hope to have something soon.  As for my image, I don't want to post it here since there aren't any of strangefate's weapons in it.  If you want to see the image, you can go here to my gallery and that link will take you directly to the image page.  I've also posted it to the Ogora thread and the Show us your iray renders thread.

Looks really good!

So, I had a crazy idea for one of your weapons and I took the single Heavy Cleaver and did a 'sword in the stone' type render.  It's still cooking and I don't know if you be able to use it as a promo, but it looks kind of cool!  I'll post it as soon as it's done which should be sometime tonight not six days from now!  ;)

Cool, looking forward to see it :)

edited June 2016

Well, my render didn't finish before I had to go to bed.  I wanted to make sure I uploaded it before I headed out for the day.  Let me know what you think.

CleaverInStone01.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 244K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

Well, my render didn't finish before I had to go to bed.  I wanted to make sure I uploaded it before I headed out for the day.  Let me know what you think.

Incredible, Knittingmommy! Challenging your wolves as your best work yet (IMHO).

- Greg

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

That is a awesome render of an awesome idea Knitting, that light is perfect and I love the mood. The high quality of the stone textures make it even better

Looks awesome Knittingmommy!! Great angle and lighting.
    I already sent the images to Daz for the store stuff but if there's any way to add that image, I will!

For now I just have to wait a few weeks and hope to hear back I guess.

Thanks guys.  I just got back from my normal Saturday stuff with the boys and found that it already had 6 likes in my gallery.  I thought it looked cool, but I wasn't too sure anyone else would think it looked cool.  I'm glad you guys like it.  

Strangefate, be sure to let us know what DAZ says!

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

Knittingmommy, I like it.  A lot!  It's a great concept and a great execution.  And you know me...I am very hesitant to give advice or criticism.  So maybe I will just ask a question. 

Why are the heavenly beams of light from above focused behind the "sword in the stone" rather than...you know... directly on it?

dHandle, I have no idea!  In the scene the cleaver is completely surrounded by the beam of light.  I'm still trying to figure out how to use this Epic Props: Godrays effectively.  I think it might have to do with my camera angle, but I don't know for sure.  I'm still doing some research on how to use it.  I would have thought that it would surround it more, too.  And, the light itself does hit the ground all around the cleaver and the stones, but those rays don't seem to do what I expected them to do.

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

@Knittingmommy Sent you a PM with some ideas.

edited June 2016

It's probably just the blending mode of the transparent rays and the fact that the weapon is inside the godray cone, so it only gets covered by 1 side of the cone receiving a weaker effect, whereas the backgorund has the 2 sides of the cone affecting it... hope that makes sense.

I don't have time to start on the next thing until July, but I couldn't resist trying out morphs on characters to see how easy it would be to change the body or face... turns out it's very easy, so I gave the G3F a quick new face last night. A lot of things are not right yet, just wanted to see if everything still worked properly (like opening the mouth etc) after applying a morph.

Post edited by StrangeFate on
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753

Zamuel - Did you use the 3Delight material for that render of the Iray one ?

It doesn't look how I'd expect it to render, but has really nice brushed feel to it :)

Sorry for the delay, didn't see your post. My render is 100% 3Delight in both weapon material and renderer. I used depth of field and a slightly modified version of http://www.daz3d.com/core-lighting-1 by Lantios. I've also got a skysphere offscreen that the reflections are probably picking up

@Knittingmommy That is a fantastic render.

KM that is absolutely gorgeous!  I really wish there was a way that we could get notification when people we want to keep track of post stuff in the gallery. I frequently forget to just go and check the individual galleries so I am sure I am missing stuff.  I will say that is one nice thing about DA you can follow people and at least try and keep up lol.

Fingers crossed on the submission although I think they would be nuts to not take them.

It's probably just the blending mode of the transparent rays and the fact that the weapon is inside the godray cone, so it only gets covered by 1 side of the cone receiving a weaker effect, whereas the backgorund has the 2 sides of the cone affecting it... hope that makes sense.

Yes, that does make sense.  I went back to my scene file and rotated the light rays and moved the rays a bit and I was able to get a version of the render where the rays show up more completely surrounding the Heavy Cleaver.  The problem with it is that the Cleaver gets washed out a little bit and the whole idea is to have the cleaver be the focus of the image.  I'm still playing with it, but it seems to be a matter of getting just the right angle and rotation as well as the right tone mapping for a look where the rays look like they are surrounding the blade and still have the blade and those cool engravings on the blade look crisp and sharp.  dHandle PM'd me about how to 'fix' the light in postwork and I think I've figured out how to do that, but again, the blade looks kind of washed out.  Also, my understanding of most promo type images for products is that postwork should be kept at a minimum so the more you can do inside DS for promos the better.  DAZ has certain rules about postwork and images in their promos and I don't know exactly where they draw the line for things like that.

ZamuelNow said:

@Knittingmommy That is a fantastic render.

Thanks.  I have to be honest and say that I didn't think anyone else would find the whole concept near as cool as I did.  I've been pleasantly surprised with all of the comments I've gotten both here and in the gallery.  It is nice to know it wasn't a thoroughly crazy idea I had.  :)