Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Janna test.  Working my way through my G2F's.  CeCe Veil hair and an Asian dress by Wilmap Pusey Designs - her clothes are beautifully made!

Janna Test.png
    1080 x 1747 - 3M
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Ok, I'm gonna be a picky with my comment here, but do you realize just how heavy that weapon would be?

I once picked up a replica of William Wallace's claymore - it weighted 30 pounds and I could barely lift it.  That axe has gotta weigh 60+ pounds, so if your girl isn't superhuman, it's just disproportionate.  Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves.  There's no weight in 3D, so we really can't tell just how much things weigh.

If she is superhuman, then my point is moot.  If she isn't, then I suggest giving her some muscle so she doesn't look like a cheesecake chick wielding a weapon that is impossibly heavy for her.  Maybe reduce the size of the axe a little. In the first picture, the diameter of the handle looks too big for her hands.

edited June 2016

lol yes technically it IS fantasy but you are right its one of my pet peeves as well. I was more testing the prop and pose rather than doing a serious render on those two.  And the hand is slightly off pose wise as well on the two handed grip.  I forgot to check it from all angles so its definitely off.  Have to go and see if I even have muscle morphs for G3F....

And please, be picky.  How else am I going to learn? I appreciate any constructive criticism, truly.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Nope sadly, no muscle morphs for G3F.  I have one cooking where I increased her arm size but it doesn't give her any definition.  Will have to see if I can find some

edited June 2016

Beefed up her arms a bit although I don't have anything to make them more muscular per se.

This is Isa for Rune with another of Strangefate's weopons to test.  Also, Hydra hair which is amazing, so many many different morphs and poses and zones and colors lol.  I also used the Ultra Hair Salon by Slosh on her hair which is how I made it a bit thicker, and gave it the slight gradient on the front top part.  The outfit is kit bashed.  Hunting drake has JGreenless new bone and scale Iray shaders.

Drake Attack.png
    1080 x 864 - 2M

Beefed up her arms a bit although I don't have anything to make them more muscular per se.

This is Isa for Rune with another of Strangefate's weopons to test.  Also, Hydra hair which is amazing, so many many different morphs and poses and zones and colors lol.  I also used the Ultra Hair Salon by Slosh on her hair which is how I made it a bit thicker, and gave it the slight gradient on the front top part.  The outfit is kit bashed.  Hunting drake has JGreenless new bone and scale Iray shaders.

I like this one better.  The weapon is sized better to the woman - and she is more athletic looking and seems more capable of wielding it. 

One thing though, her balance is slightly off.  Her left leg is the weight bearing leg, and her foot needs to be more under her body, or if she is in transition between the two feet, look at her from the top.  The body should be in the middle of the two legs.  But the swing, the hair, lighting and beastie is very good.  I like the mood of the picture.

Ah I never thought to look at her from the top!  What a great idea...Thank you!  That makes perfect sense.

edited June 2016

The Last Goblin

Lexi for Rune

Strangefate's doublehanded Egyptian sword

Creature Creator morphs Goblin Gen 2 Male

Caleb Hair For V4

Postwork Photoshop Elements 13 using Ron's water brushes and smoke brushes mostly.

The Last Goblin.jpg
    1350 x 1080 - 1M
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Looking good- the Hydra Hair is neat! Also, remember you can dial in some other characters if you can't find a particular muscle morph, just to beef them up a "tad." I am doing that with Ivan- dialing his musculature DOWN by using some skinnier dudes.

edited June 2016

G2F Ginger with Spring Hair and Nightfever hair with some work in Slosh Ulitmate Hair2.

Gi dome for Iray and used the Pro light manager as well.  Castle courtyard building 4 is what she is currently leaning up against.

Passing the Time.png
    667 x 1080 - 1018K

Thanks Novika!  I got most of the bulk for her arms from Rune I believe its just not as defined as I would think someone who is using a 2 handed weapon should be.

G2F Ginger with Spring Hair and Nightfever hair with some work in Slosh Ulitmate Hair2.

Gi dome for Iray and used the Pro light manager as well.  Castle courtyard building 4 is what she is currently leaning up against.

I like this pose. 

Not sure if the hair is in the way, but are her shoulders touching the pillar? 

There is no shadow at her feet, which makes her float and not appear solidly on the ground.  Perhaps add a light without soft shadows or reduce the softness to sharpen the shadows and put one beneath her.

I'm not sure why you choose a dark sclera - is it because you want us to feel that there is something unnatural or undead that just doesn't fit with the cutsie pose and expression?  If that's not your intention, maybe brighten her eyes up a bit.

If it is your intention, then intensify the irises.  Villains always look better in dramatic lighting, so you may want to rethink your soft portrait lighting.

Nice job with the hair by the way. 

This is no reflection upon you, but I think the PA may not have been thinking just how easy it would be to slice up her thigh every time she withdraws or puts away that dagger... (there I go again, being too logical).

edited June 2016

Ya this is what her eyes are supposed to look like.  No idea what happened to them in the above render.  All I did in this one was move closer.  Weird.  Not sure how to fix the shoulder against the post thing I may try to move her hair to the front a bit.  I was compromising on that because everything I tried just made it look like her hair was stuck in the post lol. May be able to do something about that in post work...Shadows on the feet are going to be tougher, I had a really hard time getting rid of a harsh shadow on the post not sure how I am going to put one back in with Iray but will play with it some more when I get home later.  As far as the outfit goes, I know, its not realistic, most of the outfits out there the poor girl is dressed more like bait than anything else.....

Thank you for the suggestions!      

edited June 2016

Okay before and after. Fixed the pose a bit changed the floor to show a reflection showing the heels connecting to the floor since I can't get a shadow to show for anything on the floor.  And her eyes are now showing the right color as well lol.  And despite the fact that her legs are showing we are going with the premise that she is just ninja fast and no one will get close to her.  Or maybe she is a thief in the night and simply waiting for dusk....

Passing the Time.png
    667 x 1080 - 1018K
    Waiting.png
    667 x 1080 - 1M
    edited June 2016

So I had done this one a couple months ago with the intention of doing some postwork and finally got around to finishing it.  Its meant to be a bit of a darker wintery feeling piece, more of a grey winter storm than a bright white snowy day.

Winter Is Coming.png
    1024 x 819 - 2M
    Winter Is Coming Postwork.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 652K
    edited June 2016

This one is slated for some postwork as well.

Welcome...to the Valley.png
    667 x 667 - 825K

Okay before and after. Fixed the pose a bit changed the floor to show a reflection showing the heels connecting to the floor since I can't get a shadow to show for anything on the floor.  And her eyes are now showing the right color as well lol.  And despite the fact that her legs are showing we are going with the premise that she is just ninja fast and no one will get close to her.  Or maybe she is a thief in the night and simply waiting for dusk....

OK I like the second one better.  The reflection on the floor does the trick and now she is connected. 

I can tell the hair was giving you fits.  Sometimes the magic eraser in Photoshop is the best answer for hair going through the shoulder, the post...

I like the expression better as well.  Not so cutsie, but rather a bit more anticipating. 

Thanks!  I'm still trying to learn and do as much as possible in Studio and not rely too heavily on photoshop (I love postwork but I want to learn as much and do as much as I can in Studio because I'm still a beginner and I need to learn the basics really well and not just throw postwork at it although I would be a lot more comfortable doing that lol.)

edited June 2016

Izarra for Stephanie 6

Wilmaps Bra Top Dress and Jacket

I combined Crazy Locks Hair and Suzanne Hair and used UHT2's hair shader/salon to blend them together.  So loving that particular product.

Izarra.png
    412 x 667 - 452K
    Izarra Close Up.png
    412 x 667 - 510K
    edited June 2016

Lilith 6

Cave of Secrets

Iray.

No postwork

Playtime Iray Lilith 6.png
    1000 x 800 - 1M
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I've been really bad about dropping a post here to let you know I like what you've been doing.  I really like the last few images that you've done.  Very nice stuff.  I like what you've done with UHT2, as well.  Such a fun product and you seem to be using it with nice results.

I've been really bad about dropping a post here to let you know I like what you've been doing.  I really like the last few images that you've done.  Very nice stuff.  I like what you've done with UHT2, as well.  Such a fun product and you seem to be using it with nice results.

Thanks!  I know life gets crazy its all good!  And with summer and kids it gets even crazier I am sure.  I know it did when mine were still mostly home. We are going to get the camper de winterized this weekend so my productivity and time on the forums will slow down at least on the weekends since my laptop croaked lol.  Still going through my runtime to see what I have.  Of course, it would help if I quite adding to it...

Yes, summer and kids means extra work!  I have one headed out to a big scout camp in NM on Saturday and it's been crazy trying to make sure he has everything he needs for a week of camping in the mountains when we live at the beach!  Apparently, Floridians don't need warm underwear to sleep in.  Thank goodness for Amazon!  

Quit adding to the runtime?  Bite your tongue, woman!  We can't have you start thinking you have too much stuff!  And, yeah, not having access to the laptop is going to be brutal on the weekends!

Yes, summer and kids means extra work!  I have one headed out to a big scout camp in NM on Saturday and it's been crazy trying to make sure he has everything he needs for a week of camping in the mountains when we live at the beach!  Apparently, Floridians don't need warm underwear to sleep in.  Thank goodness for Amazon!  

Quit adding to the runtime?  Bite your tongue, woman!  We can't have you start thinking you have too much stuff!  And, yeah, not having access to the laptop is going to be brutal on the weekends!

I know I break out in a sweat when I think of not buying anything lolol.

Lol if the time I spent in Clearwater a week or two ago is any indication you all most definitely do NOT need warm underwear to sleep in!  I hope he has a fantastic time out there its supposed to be stunningly beautiful out there.

Yeah, so I've heard.  I've never been there myself.  I'm hoping that he manages to take some nice pictures.  So far, these boys take cameras camping with them and I never get to see any pictures.  My youngest did manage to take some out of focus pictures of a lot of leaves and his tent on his last camping trip, though.  And, yeah, even in winter the weather isn't all that cold here.  :)  It's gotten even warmer since you were in Clearwater.

Warmer?  Yikes! Its dropped to the high 70's here and after our vacation I'm finding it almost a wee bit chilly lol.

Haha well, at least he tried to show you his camp set up.

edited July 2016

Lin For Genesis 2

Faertara Outfit - which is far prettier than it looks in the thumbnails I might add

Romance Hair With Slosh's lovely UHT2 Hair Studio

FW's Iray Gobo's

I stopped the render at 81% because it was just hanging.  and it crashed once at 80% already so I will probably try and run it all the way through another day.

Lin Iray Bokeh Lights.png
    800 x 1294 - 922K
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

Very nice!

Thank you!

Lin For Genesis 2

Faertara Outfit - which is far prettier than it looks in the thumbnails I might add

Romance Hair With Slosh's lovely UHT2 Hair Studio

FW's Iray Gobo's

I stopped the render at 81% because it was just hanging.  and it crashed once at 80% already so I will probably try and run it all the way through another day.

I really like those gobos, nice touch. 

May I suggest, before you do your next render, add a rim light (or side light) from the left.  An outline of a contrasting color to the blue (yellow or orange) would bring even more drama to this dramatic render.  Also it would bring her face out from a piece that has very similar value throughout.

This discussion has been closed.