Urban Sprawl 3 ...It's here(in the store...no really..go see)!...(Commercial)

Comments

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited August 2017

How many iterations did it take to get that render?

HorusRa said:

Well I was at work while it rendered, and I never looked at the log when I got home. Because of the shadows (and the use of a sunset hdri), and because I wanted clarity from fireflys and grit, I set Max Time (secs) to 10200. Max Samples (iterations) was set to 10200. Rendering converged Ratio was set to 99%, and Quality to 0.00 (default).

Post edited by HorusRa on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

Yikes. Yeah, I had a feeling it was some crazy high number. I'll probably hold off on buying this.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited June 2016

Here is a quick test render in Carrara After using Fenrics Shader Doctor to tweak the shaders.

Took 15 Mins to render.

Urban Sprawl Day test.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 835K
    Post edited by chickenman on
  • HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited August 2017

-

Post edited by HorusRa on

Thats why I asked about iterations, rather than time. If I know I can get a decent evening/night image at 1920x1080 in 400 iterations or so, then it would definitely be a buy. I can generally get acceptable renders with my current setup (2 x 980 Ti's) within those iterations when dealing with smaller sets and evening/dusk lighting. But I've never worked with a set this big. I'm guessing it would take a lot more than 400 iterations to make the buildings off in the distance look good with low light. I want to do an aerial night scene with a big set like this, I'm just not sure if its doable. I'll probably just have to take a chance and go for it.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited June 2016

Did another test with the Iray version and it looks really good in Reality/LuxRender.  Needed to tweak the diffusion for the road but all of the other settings are default blushangel

Post edited by 3dLux on
  • Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899

I said there would be Dragons, and here they are!

Needs more work... but it's coming along...  laugh

Thar be Dragons here.jpg
    1768 x 995 - 1M
  • ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

having two 980Tis should fair you well my pic on page 9 took a few hours like most ine do left it rendering and went to sleep but think was faster than most my v17 nitro laptop has a i7-4710hq and 1 gtx 850m card

I like both versions 3DLux

Awwwwwww blush  Thanks muchly Angelreaper blush  Stonemason was right: it looks much better with Iray mats; PBR mats with PBR rendering makes sense blush

can never have enough dragons nice work Stryder87 reminds me a movie can't remember title think it was syfy original movie had this guy who lead an army of dragon humanoids and dragons through city after a chosen one and had apache helicopters, tanks extra up against them

can never have enough dragons nice work Stryder87 reminds me a movie can't remember title think it was syfy original movie had this guy who lead an army of dragon humanoids and dragons through city after a chosen one and had apache helicopters, tanks extra up against them

Thanks!  I generally run with the first idea that forms in my head.  I'm still wanting to fix a few things... add an attack chopper, perhaps some fog, but mostly just figure out some light issues (it's always light issues!!) that I just can't seem to get to work for me.  I want to be able to 'see' the spotlight from the police heli shining down to the dragon, not just the light on the dragon itself.  Can't figure that one out.

I will admit though, even though it's small, I like the dragon taking out the plane.  haha

Believe it or not, I ran into an AoA SSS issue with the dragons not showing the skins (they were all white).  I had to change the Group ID on all four to get them to show up.  I thought I only ran into that with G2M/F figures.  Weird.

Stryder87 said:

LOL, thats a brave cop with a tank firing off to his left, and a dragon in front.

having two 980Tis should fair you well my pic on page 9 took a few hours like most ine do left it rendering and went to sleep but think was faster than most my v17 nitro laptop has a i7-4710hq and 1 gtx 850m card

They do, its just that 30 seconds of animation at 2 minutes a frame is 30 hours of render time. Thats why 2 minutes is my absolute max. Its not just time either, my electricity is crazy as is living in Vegas. Add on top of that a 1000 watt PC cooking for 30 hours and I'm usually looking at $200 month electric bills. Which I can't afford as a hobby. I still might buy it though, I really want to do some cool stuff with a big city skyline, I might just have to settle for daytime only scenes.

Stryder87 said:

LOL, thats a brave cop with a tank firing off to his left, and a dragon in front.

And no helmet!  I suspect he just had a cup of coffee and is feeling invincible.  Actually... that gives me an idea......  enlightened

Do the doors open on the vehicles or are they just basic props?

does show works really good rendered in reality 3dLux haven't used that for awhile myself 

I  think they're just static props DominicTelsa could be wrong though no yep just loaded each one just static props but still good props and handy if you don't have many or any cars, trucks, buses yet, same think with the windows and doors in building but you can zoom in and place other things in the shops if you want, there are some decorations and window displays but plenty of room to add more 

huh didn't see the plane Stryder one of those pics always more to see each time you look. Ah yes lighting my greatest weakness I  have problems with that myself 

Do the doors open on the vehicles or are they just basic props?

I didn't check the trucks, but the police car is a static prop.

Stryder87 said:

I want to be able to 'see' the spotlight from the police heli shining down to the dragon, not just the light on the dragon itself.  Can't figure that one out.

You probably want to create godrays, you could pick up one of the Godrays packages, there's a couple out right now. I just picked up Expanded Godrays, haven't had much time to play with it, but it or the Epic Godrays should probably make it easy to do what you want with the spotlight. It should give you that cool beam effect.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited June 2016

Took longer to get to it than I expected, so others got there before me, but hey, can you really have too many images of people in chaps and chainmail bikinis with dragons? (Well, according to many others, probably not, but this is actually the first chainmail bikini I have ever rendered.)

I wound up tweaking the streetlight settings to make it a touch brighter. The default setting on the streetlights ... I have never seen so many digits on a mesh light setting to date.

Anyway. Clicking on the image or the wee tiny text underneath should take you to the gallery where all the bits and pieces are listed.

out at night

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited June 2016
    Stryder87 said:

...are you perchance familiar with an RPG called Shadowrun?  Reminds me of some runs I've been on.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:
    Stryder87 said:

...are you perchance familiar with an RPG called Shadowrun?  Reminds me of some runs I've been on.

Never heard of it, but now that you mention it, I'll see what I can find.

This looks like a scene out of Saints Row, that would be awesome if they had dragons in the next game

vwrangler said:

Took longer to get to it than I expected, so others got there before me, but hey, can you really have too many images of people in chaps and chainmail bikinis with dragons? (Well, according to many others, probably not, but this is actually the first chainmail bikini I have ever rendered.)

I wound up tweaking the streetlight settings to make it a touch brighter. The default setting on the streetlights ... I have never seen so many digits on a mesh light setting to date.

Anyway. Clicking on the image or the wee tiny text underneath should take you to the gallery where all the bits and pieces are listed.

I'm not complaining vwrangler except that you can never have enough looks cool that could be this years is it called Masseys Parade that big Christmas Parade the US has oh or Rio their Olympics opening expecting that to be interesting going by their usual parades unless they really tone it down just thought they should have Tom Jones perform singing on one of the floats Rio parades and Las Vegas have a lot in common in visuals. Just had another idea for US3 someone could do, do a Batman scene maybe like the scenes from Tim Burtan's Batman with all the balloons and with the Joker and his henchmen throwing money to the crowds

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

Any suggestions for low polygon people for the streets?

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Does anyone know specifically how many NODES and how many FACES TOTAL this Urban Sprawl 3 set has when the whole shebang-all 5 blocks-- are loaded? And what does just 1 representative of the blocks cost, in terms of nodes & faces total?   I want to buy this, because, OMG!, but if i can't load it and put characters into the scenes etc it's not much use.  I have only a 4gb nvidia card, so I'm wondering if this is even going to fit all-in-video card memory.  Can anyone with a 4gb nvidia card that has already bought this holler back about whether the whole thing fits or just 1 block, or whatever the case is?    I'm so loving the promo pictures of this set! The nightime crane shot looks like a Smallville scene of Metropolis, so impressive!

I have a GTX 970, which is 4Gb and so far have loaded 3 blocks blush

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Thanks for that info, 3dLux!  Knowing that much helps me feel like it's not so resource-hungry that I wont be able to use it.... smiley  That set is really whispering to me now....  "Buy me, Gen. Buy me!"

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited June 2016

most of the polys are in the scattered leaves and the various trees in each scene,for example taking the trees and leaves from block4 takes it from  860k faces to 300k(trees are all instanced & hidden from viewport display for ease of use,

I would recommend when creating larger cities to make use of instances (Create>New Node Instance), it will make rendering much easier on your system as the block is only calculated once,

block 01 = 540k faces
    block 02 = 690k faces
    block 03 = 670k faces
    block 04 = 540k faces
    block 05 = 860k faces
    block 06 = 610k faces

cheers

S

genaris said:

Does anyone know specifically how many NODES and how many FACES TOTAL this Urban Sprawl 3 set has when the whole shebang-all 5 blocks-- are loaded? And what does just 1 representative of the blocks cost, in terms of nodes & faces total?   I want to buy this, because, OMG!, but if i can't load it and put characters into the scenes etc it's not much use.  I have only a 4gb nvidia card, so I'm wondering if this is even going to fit all-in-video card memory.  Can anyone with a 4gb nvidia card that has already bought this holler back about whether the whole thing fits or just 1 block, or whatever the case is?    I'm so loving the promo pictures of this set! The nightime crane shot looks like a Smallville scene of Metropolis, so impressive!

Untitled-1ww.jpg
    3492 x 1080 - 493K
    pop21.jpg
    1528 x 1028 - 451K
    Post edited by Stonemason on