bryce 7 pro - .bsk files

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

im a new user having just downloaded the programme
a mate has sent me some excellent night sky pictures he took - aurora and starfield and i was looking for a way to convert them into the .bsk files that the skys are any pointers as to what i need to do or is it wayyyyyyyyyyy complicated

cheers

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I am moving your query to the Bryce forum, you will get a better answer there.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited October 2012

@dougmain7_0 - I know, putting content purchased at the correct place is a bit confusing. I'm currently working on my website which will feature a PDF with everything you need to know.

Not very helpful at the moment, is it? But I can give you this: bsk files (Bryce SKies) must be copied into a particular folder. Locate where Bryce is installed. In the main Bryce folder, you will find sub-folders. Look for Presets, open it. There are yet more sub-folders. Look for Skies and open it. There are again sub-folders. You can create another one with any name, dougmain for example. In this folder (or any other that seems sensible to you), you can copy your bsk file(s). Next time you open the Sky Library, you will find your purchase in the category with the name of the folder.

EDIT to add picture. Note that the Bryce main folder will be at another location.

SkyLib.gif
    777 x 566 - 28K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure that's what Doug is asking Horo.

The .bsk files aren't simply picture files and it sounds from the OP that what Doug has are pictures of skies (most likely as .jpg files).

@ Doug, the short answer is; you don't save them as .bsk files, though there are several ways you can still use them as backgrouds within Bryce, by mapping the picture onto a vertical 2D plane or converting to use as an HRDI for use in the IBL sky lab.

Horo is the person to tell you in detail about this, unless I have it wrong and he has already answered your question. :)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: No, you are correct. Doug has pictures he wants to convert to Bryce sky files. Smells like a tutorial to me. ;-)

• edited December 1969

hi thanks
    yes these are jpgs that i have been given to use (rather nice they are too!) and i wanted to convert to .bsk files if that is possible

edited October 2012

If they are jpg, they are not bsk. Use them on a 2D face (click on Leo on the shelf when in Edit mode. Then load the picture with the picture option in the Materials Lab. The 2D face gets the same aspect ratio like the picture loaded. Then set the 2D face for nor casting, self and receive shadows. You might have to light the 2D Face, best with a parallel light with infinite width and only include the 2D Face.

Using skies from pictures is not always easy to get right. You have to consider where the sun is in order to get the shadows match the sky. Working directly in the Sky Lab is easier, though it appears to be more difficult.

Post edited by Horo on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    If they are jpg, they are not bsk. Use them on a 2D face (click on Leo on the shelf when in Edit mode. Then load the picture with the picture option in the Materials Lab. The 2D face gets the same aspect ratio like the picture loaded. Then set the 2D face for nor casting, self and receive shadows. You might have to light the 2D Face, best with a parallel light with infinite width and only include the 2D Face.

Using skies from pictures is not always easy to get right. You have to consider where the sun is in order to get the shadows match the sky. Working directly in the Sky Lab is easier, though it appears to be more difficult.

I still think you're missing his question, he wants to know if there is a way to turn these .jpgs into .bsks. Now this is just a guess on my part but I'm inclined to say no because .bsks are not pictures that have been converted to some format for Bryce. Rather they are skylab settings that create particular skies in Bryce. If I were to create a .bsk I'd likely start from a blank scene and then create a sky by adjusting the various settings in the skylab and then saving those results in the appropriate library of sky presets.

edited December 1969

Oh dear, I got it wrong twice, then. Thanks for correcting, LHD. And you're right. There is no way to turn a picture into a Bryce sky. The picture will miss a lot of the sky dome and besides, skies - as materials and objects - are stored as Axiom files in Bryce. And since Axiom is proprietary, there are no converters.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Oh dear, I got it wrong twice, then. Thanks for correcting, LHD. And you're right. There is no way to turn a picture into a Bryce sky. The picture will miss a lot of the sky dome and besides, skies - as materials and objects - are stored as Axiom files in Bryce. And since Axiom is proprietary, there are no converters.

It's okay it happens to all of us now and then, you probably skipped your breakfast this morning and that's why you missed it, low blood sugar. :)

• edited December 1969

ok then that answers my question - they cant be "converted"

edited October 2012

Yes, no they can't.
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

But you can still use them as backgrounds by importing them into a 2D plane as Horo and I described. :)

edited October 2012

Correct, you can use them as backgrounds by mapping them to a vertical plane but you can't make them into .bsk's at least not in the way you were thinking. The only way to make them into .bsk's is to use them as a reference and then try to adjust the skylab settings to give you something close to the same as what you see in the pictures and then save thse as .bsk's

However since you are a new user, unless you're a very talented new user you'll probably not have much luck recreating things in the skylab based on photos.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

Well, we could argue whether it is simpler to get a good sky from the Sky Lab or from a photograph. Here are 4 renders with a photographic sky.

http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2493
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2478
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2267
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2266

edited December 1969

First pic; Set up along these lines.
    Second pic; Gives these results.

Photo-Background.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 120K
    Photo-Background2.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 164K