Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited June 2016

This is Maria from Renderosity wearing Side Tail Hair, and the Champion Outfit. One with a similar look sold here is Caro. Without looking, I knew both were P3D.  Want to say a big KUDOS to Ravenhair for making an outfit that covers the backside- very family friendly- and also has FLAT BOOTS!!! Lovely textures. Consider that outfit if you don't have it! This only took THREE MINUTES to render, so the hair is very render-friendly too.

Pose in the first two is Iconic Attitudes Female Poses 

Second one, click to enlarge. Is 975px tall.

MariaChampionSideTailsHair.jpg
    435 x 575 - 122K
    MariaChampionSideTailsHair2.jpg
    450 x 975 - 137K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2016

Another pose set to consider is At The Pool- it has action shots and they fit scenes other than the pool. Like this running pose. I was also testing to see how well the Champion outfit did with legs bending, and I made NO adjustments. No pokethrough!!! Really liking that outfit!

Don't get At the Pool confused with By the Pool. At The Pool is for Genesis 3.

MariaChampionSideTailsHair3.jpg
    650 x 975 - 168K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2016

FWSA Finley with Kylan Hair which is for males and females (Gen3)  It's shown out of the box, no changes. Wearing Ghost Bride Dress. Again, I changed the Diffuse and the Glossy both to gray so the white wouldn't wash out. 

Click to enlarge, click again. Large render.

FinleyKylanHairAdjusted.jpg
    650 x 975 - 653K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091

I love that Finley render, Novica - the dress came out beautifully too.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

I like that image, Novica. Kylan hair looks great on a woman. I think I prefer it actually. Good angle too!

I don't recall seeing Kylan Hair in this thread, but I may have just forgotten. smiley

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

O.o  3 posts up..

Well, interesting. There are two popups, the second one is a discount on poses if you bought Rune or Kalea. Six of the pose products are already really discounted, so the additional discount stacks. If you haven't checked to see if you have orange banners at the top of the store, this one is pretty recent. (aka, not there this morning.) I don't know if these are supposed to be discounted and discounted again or not though? 

edited June 2016

I saw it in the promos, but decided to give it a closer look. Indeed, FWSA Quinn has a line above her eyebrows that shouldn't be there IMO. I substituted Fukiko's materials and like her better. I did tweak the lighting a bit on Fukiko. That's the Fukiko materials in the Roller Derby image, with Selena Hair.  (The first two use Geneva Hair, which has already been linked over and over again.) 

QuinnHerMatGENEVAHair.jpg
    535 x 975 - 403K
    QuinnFukikoMatGENEVAHair.jpg
    535 x 975 - 358K
    QuinnFukikoMatSelenaHair.jpg
    535 x 975 - 310K
    Post edited by Novica on

Looks like a bump or normal map is a bit out of whack..  I will let FW and SA know.

Fisty said:

Looks like a bump or normal map is a bit out of whack..  I will let FW and SA know.

Thanks, when there's multiple artists, I wouldn't know which one to contact as I don't know who does what. 

edited June 2016

Okay, this is not good. There's THREE different popups, and if I hadn't X'd out of the Pose popup, I wouldn't have seen the Collective3D popup? Or that replaced the pose popup. So now, check and see if you have that one too. Any other popups? (The Fit Control product isn't out yet, that I know of. That was the first popup.) You won't see the Collective3D one unless you bought the Create A Room Base Set supposedly. 

EDIT: They've removed the Fit Control one, product isn't available and apparently they were testing the banner or it was a mistake. 

Post edited by Novica on

Have you folks found it pays to wait a day or two before buying new releases, because you don't know what other promos are coming that say get this amount off when buying a new release blah blah blah?  I waited on the Riccardo Hair and am using that for the New Release to get the extra 10% off the M4's from MortemVeus. When I subtract the 10% saved, it addded up to $10.60. Looking at these, some which have already been showcased in the thread.

Seadogs    Rolf    Braided Hair   Ragnarok    Habitus Malus  (a good general robe for murky figures in the background)

• SabbySabby Posts: 108

I will take a look at this tonight, I think I did her bump maps. Sorry!

Sabby said:

I will take a look at this tonight, I think I did her bump maps. Sorry!

Thanks for looking at it smiley

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited June 2016

Invited Guest Contributor

Todays' review is:  After-5 by Bluebird 3d

http://www.daz3d.com/bb3d-fashions-after-5-for-genesis-3-male-s

The outfit comes with jeans, shoes, shirt, sweater and hat, and a nice pre-load to outfit to G3M. I didn't find any problems with pokethrough or fit on any of the items which was great. =-)

I did find the collar distorts too much for my taste making my guys look a bit too thick there and the shirt looks almost... Medieval at the neckline.  My guys do have rather thick necks, but the collar doesn't lay right on a bigger neck. You can fix this issue by dialing the character's neck down a bit, to make the neck area not look so wide. 

Sweater looks nice. Big green, and comfy. Jeans aren't remarkable. Shoes are fine.

Hat looks good from certain angles. It is tough to mimic the stretch of a real stretchy hat, and from some angles it sticks out over the face more like a hood. But from certain angles it looks great. There are morphs to adjust and widen the fit. I did not try to use it with hair since it is pretty long.

I like that you can mix and match pieces and there are plenty of adjustments on the clothing. So nice to see more male clothing in the store. This looks like a versatile set you could mix with other things!

9-52.jpg
    1371 x 1542 - 991K
    Post edited by Serene Night on

I have to be honest, I didn't buy it because of the shirt collar. I can't recall ever seeing my husband wear a sweater with a shirt underneath it and have that top button buttoned. Or a shirt with that high of a collar and have the top one buttoned. It wouldn't be comfortable. So it's just what I am used to.  Does the top one unbutton?

I thought the pants looked painted on in the thigh area. It just didn't appeal to me in that area, but the bottom part has better wrinkles/folds. I did like the hat and shoes look decent. 

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Novica said:

Have you folks found it pays to wait a day or two before buying new releases, because you don't know what other promos are coming that say get this amount off when buying a new release blah blah blah?  ..

But somedays the next day is a day too late - Thorne has fallen out of the promotion of 70%-80% - sniffff

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    Novica said:

Have you folks found it pays to wait a day or two before buying new releases, because you don't know what other promos are coming that say get this amount off when buying a new release blah blah blah?  I waited on the Riccardo Hair and am using that for the New Release to get the extra 10% off the M4's from MortemVeus. When I subtract the 10% saved, it addded up to $10.60. Looking at these, some which have already been showcased in the thread.

Seadogs    Rolf    Braided Hair   Ragnarok    Habitus Malus  (a good general robe for murky figures in the background)

More than once I've been able to take advantage of a 'with new release in cart' offer and have then read from people on the forums complaining that they couldn't because they'd already bought what they wanted first thing. I've been in no rush to purchase this week because my rendering PC has gone in for surgery and so I've already got a small queue of things I've bought that are waiting for a test run. This meant that the morphing flames I'd been mulling over for a couple of days were still available for me to use as a qualifier for a short-lived offer to get 12% off a gift card earlier this week, and cost.less than the amount of discount I got on the gift card for buying them.

It's not a tactic I've employed deliberately, but it seems that the obvious response to the random 'with new release in cart' sales strategy is to hold off on buying a new item you won't be using immediately, in case an attractive offer turns up while it's still got a 'new' tag on it that won't be going anywhere for a bit. Thanks for making me think about this - good question :)

edited June 2016
    Kerya said:
    Novica said:

Have you folks found it pays to wait a day or two before buying new releases, because you don't know what other promos are coming that say get this amount off when buying a new release blah blah blah?  ..

But somedays the next day is a day too late - Thorne has fallen out of the promotion of 70%-80% - sniffff

Well, they have to honor the discount pricing in that store because it is still listed in the scrolling banner. (EDITED POST)     I'll test the cart.

EDIT: I tested one of the Thorne items in the featured section and it discounted. I'm not sure if you were thinking all of Thorne's store is on sale, I believe it's only the items in that section.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2016

Going back through some of the other threads, it's funny to see how we lit the scenes and the difference Iray makes. Also surprised some of the links don't work, the products are not in the store anymore. Any of you have Cerella?  Here's my post showing her, it's a 404 for the link in the post,  and nothing in the search.

Post edited by Novica on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited June 2016
    Novica said:
    Kerya said:
    Novica said:

Well, they have to honor the discount pricing in that store because it is still listed in the scrolling banner. (EDITED POST)     I'll test the cart.

EDIT: I tested one of the Thorne items in the featured section and it discounted. I'm not sure if you were thinking all of Thorne's store is on sale, I believe it's only the items in that section.

No - Thorne's items fell prematurely out of the discount and were put in back by a nice person. :o)

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited June 2016
    Kerya said:

No - Thorne's items fell prematurely out of the discount and were put in back by a nice person. :o)

Happy shopping! smiley  Things change minute by minute too. By the time someone tries to test for someone else, it may be fixed, then change again, then go back.....

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Has the Watch My Charm outfit http://www.daz3d.com/watch-my-charm-for-genesis-3-female-s been reviewed/showcased here in the threads at all? 

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    jakiblue said:

Has the Watch My Charm outfit http://www.daz3d.com/watch-my-charm-for-genesis-3-female-s been reviewed/showcased here in the threads at all? 

Thanks for pointing out that one, I never even saw it in the store.  Would love to see a review of it as I find some of the promo pics a little too dark and I can't see the details of the outfit.  Actually too dark promo pics are one of my biggest pet peeves, if I have to squint and struggle to see the image I am moving on to something else. I can certainly see having one or 2 artistic renders but I think the majority of promo pics should be brightly lit so you can see the product clearly.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Kharma said:
    jakiblue said:

Thanks for pointing out that one, I never even saw it in the store.  Would love to see a review of it as I find some of the promo pics a little too dark and I can't see the details of the outfit.  Actually too dark promo pics are one of my biggest pet peeves, if I have to squint and struggle to see the image I am moving on to something else. I can certainly see having one or 2 artistic renders but I think the majority of promo pics should be brightly lit so you can see the product clearly.

The fact that the character skin is well lit, but the dark wardrobe materials are very dark in the same images, makes me think that it is not a promo lighting issue, but a product materials issue. I don't own this products, so this is just a guess.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    barbult said:
    Kharma said:
    jakiblue said:

The fact that the character skin is well lit, but the dark wardrobe materials are very dark in the same images, makes me think that it is not a promo lighting issue, but a product materials issue. I don't own this products, so this is just a guess.

i find it  is really hard to see the flow of the outfit and how it actually fits to the character in the different poses. In several of the promos the outfit does blend right into the background so you really can't see the details

I can see it fine, I think it could show more poses though.  There are none where one leg is bent and the other isn't or the other is bent the opposite way..  most stock poses have that to some degree and it's not easy to get skirts to work nicely when they have that much detail.  There also isn't any where she has her abdomen bent or twisted (also extreamly common in most poses.)  They are very "safe" poses, and everyone who makes promos tries to show off their product in its best light so I can't fault that really, but you have to also be realistic about how your stuff is going to be used.  i13 poses often have limits turned off on bends so I usualy don't use hers for promos.  DM's poses I use a lot, and if my clothes can't gracefully bend along with almost all of theirs then it's not good enough to ship.

Note - I don't have the outfit in question, it could be just dandy, I didn't buy it because the promos didn't give enough information.

• SabbySabby Posts: 108

The fix for this has been sent in so an update should be out soon for it, check your DIM sometime time in the next week. :)

Sabby said:

The fix for this has been sent in so an update should be out soon for it, check your DIM sometime time in the next week. :)

Thank you Sabby! Love your stuff! smiley

This discussion has been closed.