Conforming clothing for Genesis child

RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi there :)

I made this mermaid tail to fit the Genesis child. The idea is to use it as conforming clothing, adding boes to make it more flexible and hiding the Genesis legs. I used an .obj export to fit it in Hexagon. When imported to Studio, it fits perfectly, but after putting it through Utility Transfer, it scales down.

Obviously the problem is that I used the child as a mannequin. So tried fitting by scaling it up to a basic genesis figure in Hexagon, using the transfer Utility then shaping to the child. This works as far as length scaling goes, but no longer fits around the waist - the proportions between adult and children are not simply one of linear scale.

I have used smoothing with collision detection, with 100 iterations, but there remains an offset around the waist.

Is there any way to get it to fit - surely clothing can be made for the Genesis figures, not only for the base shape?

Secondly, if this is not possible, would making the tail into a figure in it's own right and parenting it to Genesis work in an animation?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

The child shape includes scaling - one option may be to take your original shape and in the Transfer Utility, under Source shape choose Current, and in the extended options choose reverse Source shape from target.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Thanks once again - Richard to the rescue - worked like a charm.:)

You should write a book on the CCT

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Wow, Richard...answering a question I didn't even know I needed to ask. I suppose that this would work if there are custom sculpts involved, too.

And thanks, Roygee for putting words to the problem...

I was having the same problem, but hadn't figured out exactly what to ask, if anything, yet.

Basically, I'm making some alien morphs and am having a hard time with clothing intersecting. And yes, I'm planning on at least one item of clothing specifically made for the one morph. So, when I rig that item, I should be using 'current' (of course, having the morph dialed in, first), as the shape, right?

edited December 1969

As I bit-by-bit peel back the mysteries of the CCT (with Richard's help), I come to realize why it's taking so long to get documentation released - there are just so many options to this wonderful tool that it would take a book on it's own.:)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

That and the problem is that the people who do know the most about it aren't actually involved in the documentation process...except maybe, indirectly.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Thanks once again - Richard to the rescue - worked like a charm.:)

You should write a book on the CCT

I would like to see that book ;)

to bad we all searching for the hidden secrets and manual.
    very frustratring to play in studio without the hidden secrets explained well.

edited December 1969

OOPs - an unexpected outcome.

When I had the tail fitted and conformed as clothing, it took on the shape of the thighs and the part below the thighs flattened out snf the flukes distorted. I expected that, as it would be trying to conform to competing bone influences.

After giving the tail its own rigging and getting rid of all other influences, I expected it would go back to the original shape - but no. It is still conforming to non-existent thighs and the center part looks like the air has been sucked out of it. It deforms beautifully otherwise and I have checked that it does not react at all to rotations of the Genesis rigging, which is what I want..

Any ideas on how to re-inflate the tail?

tail.jpg
    800 x 923 - 57K
  • Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited October 2012

Roygee said:
    OOPs - an unexpected outcome.

When I had the tail fitted and conformed as clothing, it took on the shape of the thighs and the part below the thighs flattened out snf the flukes distorted. I expected that, as it would be trying to conform to competing bone influences.

After giving the tail its own rigging and getting rid of all other influences, I expected it would go back to the original shape - but no. It is still conforming to non-existent thighs and the center part looks like the air has been sucked out of it. It deforms beautifully otherwise and I have checked that it does not react at all to rotations of the Genesis rigging, which is what I want..

Any ideas on how to re-inflate the tail?

I would discuss this with the daz developers, to see if this is possible to do or not?
    Or else make this a future request as some morphing between skeleton sounds useful in this case the Mermaidtail.
    i still would like to see the genesis legs+feet morphing to tail and have a tail control rig available.

Post edited by Fixme12 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks - looks like conforming clothing is the wrong option for this. I'll try making the tail as a character and parenting it, see how that goes.

I did see a video of someone morphing Genesis into a mermaid using ZBrush. I tried doing it using Sculptris - looked good until I applied the morph and it simply exploded.:)

edited December 1969

Is this with the figure unmorphed, or after applying a morph? If it's after applying a morph, and you didn't supply your own, then the auto-generated morph may give undesirable results - the fix is to replace it with a custom morph that does only what you want. Also, have you applied a smoothing modifier to the tail?

edited December 1969

Are you asking about the mermaid tail or the mermaid i morphed in Sculptris?

If about the tail, I fitted it to Genesis child - the tail has no morphs and I never applied any morphs after fitting.

If about the morph I did in Sculptris, this was the Genesis female, exported as .obj, morphed in Sculptris without changing number of verts, imported as a morph target with morph loader pro.

edited December 1969

I was asking about the tail that developed odd deformations when fitted in DS - applying the child shape is applying a morph, and if you are relying on the auto-generated morph it may well account for the distortion; what happens if you fit the tail to a base Genesis?

edited December 1969

OK - I understand:)

When I fit a scaled-up version of the tail to a base Genesis using the Transfer Utility, I get pretty much the same result, only less pronounced. When I apply it using an option I've only now discovered - simply "make clothing", I get an almost perfect result. Haven't had time to tweak the weights yet, but I'm sure this will get me where I want to be. It also morphs perfectly with all the Genesis shapes, so I can get a whole family out of this.

Will just have to re-model the waist to fit the base figure nice and snug.

So, I suppose, to answer my original question, it is possible to model clothing for the Genesis child, as long as it covers the body in the conventional sense, and not have a part hanging between the legs? That was the part which gave the trouble - from the knees down, with the shin and feet bones on either side exerting influence which I could not get rid of.

edited December 1969

Yes, or simply replace all of the lg bones with new bones though that might be tricky (a lot of influences to remove). However, it is odd that it would happen with a fully zeroed figure at all.

edited December 1969

Yes, I had replaced all the leg bones with a series of bones down the centre, removed all the influences. Checked that the influences were removed by rotating the Genesis legs - all was fine in that department, yet the original leg influences which had distorted the mesh remained. May have something to do with the templates - there is nothing for a long dress, for instance.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. When I have the time, I'll test with a long loin-cloth, see what happens.

Thank you all for all your help:)