The Historical Closet Thread

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    I've had a try at Auto-Fitting the V3 DNA Empire dress. It works up to a point but loses all the shaping and movement morphs. The Morphing Gown seems to mess up on the sleeves as it loses the sleeve bones.

Not sure if I'm doing it all correctly. I'm still running DS 4 not 4.5 so it may have improved. I held back as so many of the add-ons were not working but that's probably fixed now.

that would explain why I found the sleeves difficult to pose using the morphs...lol

I don't have the dna empire dress so can't try it, but the morphs are now still there when you autofit since at least 4.5 maybe even earlier. Sorry I can't remember...still waking up.

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

@Baglet: That shoe is beautiful! :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Zaarin said:

Totally agree. Wonder if the style could catch on again. :roll:
  • BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Zaarin said:

Totally agree. Wonder if the style could catch on again. :roll:

According to the museum, there was a revival of 17th and 18th century styles in the pre-WW1 period. It was known as the Duc de Guise style.

ducdeguise1.jpg
    367 x 257 - 26K
    edited December 1969

Yes, but it lacks the added sole, which could be a precursor of more modern wedge heels. Was what I was thinking.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes, but it lacks the added sole, which could be a precursor of more modern wedge heels. Was what I was thinking.

It must be the very early days of heels at least in W Europe. Though they were well into platform soles. These are the most ridiculous ones I've ever seen. Poor woman must have been lifted around or maybe just unable to move from the spot.
    chpine1.jpg
    245 x 334 - 24K
    edited December 1969

Saves getting ones feet wet wile plodding around in the mud though lol

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

that would explain why I found the sleeves difficult to pose using the morphs...lol

I don't have the dna empire dress so can't try it, but the morphs are now still there when you autofit since at least 4.5 maybe even earlier. Sorry I can't remember...still waking up.

Now have 4.5 installed and the morphs mostly work. I get some strange artifacts on renders at times. Vertical lines or sometimes blocks of colour. The DNA Empire line dress works fairly well.

dna_emp1.jpg
    250 x 400 - 50K
  • RosemaryrRosemaryr Posts: 94
    edited December 1969

Thought I would share my latest image: based on a combination of several of Lucas Cranach's portraits. The brocade used in the trim is (I'm pretty sure...) the one on page 3 posted by Baglet.
    I made the hat, dress and the feather shafts in MD. The feather is made in Poser's hair room. The neck chains were made in Zbrush using the new IMM brush on a curve (which make is really easy to lay them out in any position I want, whether around a neck or hanging from her hand).
    Snood hair, of course, under the hat.

Cranach.jpg
    500 x 1125 - 171K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Rosemaryr said:
    Thought I would share my latest image: based on a combination of several of Lucas Cranach's portraits. The brocade used in the trim is (I'm pretty sure...) the one on page 3 posted by Baglet.
    I made the hat, dress and the feather shafts in MD. The feather is made in Poser's hair room. The neck chains were made in Zbrush using the new IMM brush on a curve (which make is really easy to lay them out in any position I want, whether around a neck or hanging from her hand).

Rosemaryr a very beautiful picture. I love it.

• sazzyazzcasazzyazzca Posts: 495
    edited December 1969

Stunning work!

edited October 2012

Baglet said:
    Pendraia said:

Now have 4.5 installed and the morphs mostly work. I get some strange artifacts on renders at times. Vertical lines or sometimes blocks of colour. The DNA Empire line dress works fairly well.

Looks good...are the artifacts in the front of the skirt? The main problem I've come across is stretching in the front of the skirt. If that's the problem it's easy to fix with the smoothing brush on the uv tab and then send it back and create an adjustment morph.

Rosemaryr what a stunning picture! You have done a fantastic job...

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Absolutely gorgeous.

I have got to learn how to use the Hair room.

Rosemaryr said:
    edited December 1969

Gosh, that's a beautiful dress. Nice to see the brocades in action. I need to get going on making things as I have several ideas in my head but want to try to make them conforming if possible. I'm creating 'skins' with coloured groups for to help with that.

Looks good…are the artifacts in the front of the skirt?

They're all over the render. Like prison bars but in bright colours or large patches of one colour. Adjusting the detailed render options seems to get rid of them. I had no luck with the V3 classical set (or my V4 conversion) as the skirt split. There doesn't seem to be an option for long skirts and knee-length causes problems. I'd imagine they will keep improving things as 4 to 4.5 had been good keeping the morphs. It might be better it they put front, back, left, right bones into skirts instead of leg bones - maybe an upper and lower set.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

There's always such cool stuff in this thread. :)

I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier, but apparently we did lose some sub-pages and images when the Historical Closet wiki moved to Wikia, so if anyone would be willing to go check some of those links and maybe repost content...

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Gosh, that's a beautiful dress. Nice to see the brocades in action. I need to get going on making things as I have several ideas in my head but want to try to make them conforming if possible. I'm creating 'skins' with coloured groups for to help with that.

Looks good…are the artifacts in the front of the skirt?

They're all over the render. Like prison bars but in bright colours or large patches of one colour. Adjusting the detailed render options seems to get rid of them. I had no luck with the V3 classical set (or my V4 conversion) as the skirt split. There doesn't seem to be an option for long skirts and knee-length causes problems. I'd imagine they will keep improving things as 4 to 4.5 had been good keeping the morphs. It might be better it they put front, back, left, right bones into skirts instead of leg bones - maybe an upper and lower set.
    Can you post an image? It sounds like it could be a render setting issue rather than an autofit with the bars and location. Especially if the detailed render setting improve it. I agree it would be nice to have a long skirt option.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Can you post an image? It sounds like it could be a render setting issue rather than an autofit with the bars and location. Especially if the detailed render setting improve it. I agree it would be nice to have a long skirt option.

These are the 'bars'. Settings are:
    Vertical Bucket Order
    Bucket size 32
    Ray trace depth 7
    Pixel Samples x 12 y 5
    Shadow samples 16
    Shading Rate 0.010
    Pixel filter: Catmull-Rom
    Pixel filter 5 x 5

I think I may have the pixel samples wrong. I'm used to Vue which has a range where 5 - 12 is a good compromise between speed and quality. So that may be a problem as it's not the same thing here. I'm doing some experiments to see what works best.

The bars have gone but the skin comes out orange and there are orange points at other places. It looks like a pre-render calculating lighting.

New Settings are:
    Vertical Bucket Order
    Bucket size 16
    Ray trace depth 4
    Pixel Samples x 6 y 6
    Shadow samples 10
    Shading Rate 0.010
    Pixel filter 4 x 4

dsrendererr2.jpg
    300 x 400 - 50K
    dsrendererr.jpg
    300 x 400 - 54K
    edited December 1969

I've cured the orange skin by applying a different one. It was the default Genesis skin that came out orange so it may use some special feature.

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

Okay, so today's featured article on Wikipedia is Madagascar and I stumbled on this. I suddenly have a horrible and cruel desire for that outfit in Poser. O_O

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Pendraia said:

These are the 'bars'. Settings are:
    Vertical Bucket Order
    Bucket size 32
    Ray trace depth 7
    Pixel Samples x 12 y 5
    Shadow samples 16
    Shading Rate 0.010
    Pixel filter: Catmull-Rom
    Pixel filter 5 x 5

I think I may have the pixel samples wrong. I'm used to Vue which has a range where 5 - 12 is a good compromise between speed and quality. So that may be a problem as it's not the same thing here. I'm doing some experiments to see what works best.

The bars have gone but the skin comes out orange and there are orange points at other places. It looks like a pre-render calculating lighting.

New Settings are:
    Vertical Bucket Order
    Bucket size 16
    Ray trace depth 4
    Pixel Samples x 6 y 6
    Shadow samples 10
    Shading Rate 0.010
    Pixel filter 4 x 4
    Just looking at the picture that's definitely something to do with the way it's rendering...just checking what my settings are now. Back in a minute or two...

edited October 2012

Using 3Delight

Bucket Horizontal
    Bucket size 16
    Max Ray Trace Depth 2
    PIxel Samples x and y at 4
    Shadow Samples 16
    Gain and Gamma are both at 1
    Shading Rate 0.5
    Pixel Filter 6 for x and y

Hope that's useful I don't play much with things except for the shading rate so most of the others are likely to be defaults. IIRC there is a restore to defaults that you can click somewhere on the tab...sorry forget to look before I shut it down.

cheers

Pen

Edited to add I haven't gotten orange skin before...what lights are you using?

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

Are you using Raytraced shadows or deep shadow maps, Deep shadow maps are causing red and blue artifacts across renders, sometimes it helps to alter the camera angle a bit but not always.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

I'm trying your settings and they work well though I have set a small pixel filter to get a sharper image. The lights are one of my own sets made from standard DS area lights. That may be the problem as some skins are probably set up for the fancier sort of lighting.
    edited December 1969

Are you using Raytraced shadows or deep shadow maps, Deep shadow maps are causing red and blue artifacts across renders, sometimes it helps to alter the camera angle a bit but not always.

I'm using shadow maps so I'll try switching.
    edited October 2012

Area lights give raytraced shadows so thats not your problem. Area lights give some of the best results IMO, so should work well with any textures. The other thing it could be though is the SSS settings on the skin, causing the orange glow.

edit

Do you mean distant lights when you say Area lights?

Post edited by scorpio on
    edited December 1969

Area lights give raytraced shadows so thats not your problem. Area lights give some of the best results IMO, so should work well with any textures. The other thing it could be though is the SSS settings on the skin, causing the orange glow.

edit

Do you mean distant lights when you say Area lights?

Yes, distant lights - area light is the Vue term. So many different renderers I get mixed up.

Have to go to physiotherapy now - hoping to get some movement back in my left arm.

edited December 1969

Good luck with the phisio.
    Area lights are something different in DS.

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Pendraia said:

I'm trying your settings and they work well though I have set a small pixel filter to get a sharper image. The lights are one of my own sets made from standard DS area lights. That may be the problem as some skins are probably set up for the fancier sort of lighting.

Glad to hear that you have got it fixed. What settings to use as pixel filter that sounds interesting?

Could be something to do with the shader they used...

edited October 2012

Pendraia said:

What settings to use as pixel filter that sounds interesting?

Could be something to do with the shader they used...

I tried again today and found the reverse. Pixel filter 4 came out better than pixel filter 2. So my guess was wrong. I may have moved the camera as the scene comes in with the camera placed wrongly.

It isn't clear what is meant by pixel filtering. Is it anti-aliasing? I'm most familiar with Vue which has separate anti-aliasing for objects and textures and uses a min-max range to set this. Texture filtering slows the render so is only used if textures look too noisy.

Images are pixel filter 4 and pixel filter 2.

dscheck2.jpg
    200 x 250 - 15K
    dscheck1.jpg
    200 x 250 - 17K
    Post edited by Baglet on
  • LeanderLeander Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

Rosemaryr said:

This is the first time I've been in the forums for ages - so very pleased to see everyone still active. Rosemaryr, that is an absolutely fantastic image. Cranach would be proud :-)

Baglet, thanks for the pics of those gorgeous shoes as well.

Really must get round to rendering again. It's been all blogging lately and not much DS...

Hope everyone's well!

Leander