GTX 1080 Iray support?

marcus.hultinmarcus.hultin Posts: 1
edited May 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion

Just installed 2 GTX 1080 in my workstation and noticed they are not supported by Iray. Error log: Cuda Compute 6.1 not supported. Is there any word when/if there will be support?

Post edited by marcus.hultin on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

No, there was one posting on the Nvidia forums, but not much more...

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited May 2016

The post on the Nvidia forum said they're working on it, but no forecasted completion date. And once Nvidia gets it into Iray DAZ will need to add it to Studio and go through Q/A and possibley a beta cycle.

Post edited by namffuak on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,437

You have got to be kidding me. The brand new, top of line, most-Cuda cores... isn't iRay compatible? Guess I won't actually be rushing to buy one.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    ... are you actually surprised? Bleeding edge stuff is always poorly supported.
  • FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

No surprise that support for 1080/1070 is lagging behind, but it is a bit disappointing.  A video card with better performance and less cost would seem to be a big deal for Iray & DAZ users. Everyone seemed to have plenty of advance time to get ready for this product launch.  Oh well, still looking forward to finally seeing some benchmarks on these new video cards and DAZ.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643

Happened with the 900 series and Octane. Nothin' new.

• edited May 2016

Just installed 2 GTX 1080 in my workstation and noticed they are not supported by Iray. Error log: Cuda Compute 6.1 not supported. Is there any word when/if there will be support?

I sent in an email to Daz support and was told late August early September it would be sunpported. My jaw almost hit the floor!

At least by then theese cards should have dropped a bit and the TI will be out.

Post edited by anthony.luigi_05ebfcd7e7 on
  • hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

I sent in an email to Daz support and was told late August early September it would be sunpported. My jaw almost hit the floor!

At least by then theese cards should have dropped a bit and the TI will be out.

Don't count on that.  Historically, the Ti cards come out 6-12 months after the non-Ti version is released.  So we shouldn't expect a 1080Ti before December, possibly not until 1st Quarter 2107.

As for Iray support, nVidia IS working on it, and I would assume DAZ would want to get any such support into the current release as quickly as possible.  How long before that happens, however, is unknown.  Could be next week, could be 6 months.

But Gaming/VR support will come first, as they are the major and buzzword features of Pascal.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040

The primary market for these cards is the gaming market; Iray would be a very distant second. I'm a bit suprised at the early timeframe - I would have expected something more around the October - November. And, having done software development, I'd commit to 'by the end of the year'. :-)

But no question the tweaked cards will be out by then.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I feel for the OP - I would be furious. However, I don't feel as bad now about buying a GTX970 just two weeks before the 1070 was announced.

Well, right now most all of the stores are already sold-out of the 1080GTX.  And lots are being sold on Amazon and eBay at outrageous prices by those who bought up the stock in the stores.

Founder Edition is a fixed $699 USD price for retail.

eBay has people selling them for as high as $1845 USD!  Most of the Buy-It-Now prices are $1000+, saw ONE from Canada with a BIN price of $850.  Amazon has sellers offering them for $1000+ as well.  Gotta love the whole scalpers thing......

• RodrijRodrij Posts: 154

I'm seeing Titan X's on ebay going for $650-750 which puts it in the same price range as a 1080 which has less Ram and less CUDA cores although they run at a higher clock speed. I decided to get my 3rd Titan X for $650 and after seeing this thread I think it is a good deal.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

could take months, and certainly will be weeks

• artphobeartphobe Posts: 97

How long did it take for the 900 series to get supported?

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

Hance why I plan on having pascal based nvidia in my next system in a few years my 980 works just fine for now..

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,667
    edited May 2016

I usually wait at least a year to buy new tech for that reason lol. Also because sometimes prices will come down a bit after the "New, shiny, new, need it now!" feeding frenzy that happens. Always nice when you can catch a good sale at newegg or a similar site.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    artphobe said:

How long did it take for the 900 series to get supported?

I want to say it took a few months. I quit following it for a time. Cath (MEC4D) remembers that and said in another thread that Octane had to be rewritten a bit to work. Cath stayed with her 700 series as did others until Titan X came out. I remember all the disappointed posts from those who had upgraded to the 900 series. 

• rock63rock63 Posts: 13

You have got to be kidding me. The brand new, top of line, most-Cuda cores... isn't iRay compatible? Guess I won't actually be rushing to buy one.

It actually has less CUDA cores than either the Titan X or GTX 980ti (3072 and 2816 respectively), versus 2560 CUDA cores for the 1080. As for Iray, I think either the Titan or 980ti would be the better option, as the 1080 seens more geared toward gaming. The prices of both 980ti's and Titan X are going to drop very soon, as people jump to Pascal based cards. Would hold off and get a Titan X or 980ti or a couple as they become more affordable. I have a 980 and a 980ti running together, both running at 16x, (40 PciE lanes through CPU), and the render times are crazy fast. Just my opinion but for me the 980ti hits the sweet spot for a single gaming/rendering machine 

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

Great. I'll need to buy a video card within the next couple of weeks. Right now I can get a MSI GeForce GTX 980TI 6G Golden Edition for $560, should I just go ahead and buy it?

Whatever I buy is going to have to do for until Jan 2017 at least.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

In 2 weeks you can get 1080 for $699 on AMAZON you can pre order today or go and  spend $899 today , the prices are from $699 to $1700  to be exactly 

for gamers yeah for rendering ..after summer 

@marcus.hultin sorry but how you could  do that to yourself , in 2 weeks you could get it at normal price , never buy new architecture cards without checking first if the games or software support it first

@rock63 if you run your Titan X or 980ti at 1500Mhz then 1080 is not faster, if you run the other cards at standard clock 1125 or lower it will be maybe 20% faster in in some games , since windows 10 sucks with Cuda I don't believe one word it will render faster , it don;t even get as fast with DX12 games and if someone say it is 2 x times faster again  then please pull the person back on earth 

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    namffuak said:

The post on the Nvidia forum said they're working on it, but no forecasted completion date. And once Nvidia gets it into Iray DAZ will need to add it to Studio and go through Q/A and possibley a beta cycle.

That is a driver thing. It should not involve DS. 

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    MEC4D said:

since windows 10 sucks with Cuda I don't believe one word it will render faster , it don;t even get as fast with DX12 games and if someone say it is 2 x times faster again  then please pull the person back on earth 

Actually, Windows...if it isn't DX.whatever, then it isn't optimal.

In my experience, granted with very bottom end cards...a 440 and 430, both 1 GB, the 430 in Linux (yes, this is even going through WINE) is about 20% FASTER than the 440 in Windows, in Iray!  That's all down to OS/drivers...and CUDA implementation.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Petercat said:

Great. I'll need to buy a video card within the next couple of weeks. Right now I can get a MSI GeForce GTX 980TI 6G Golden Edition for $560, should I just go ahead and buy it?

Aaaand, the day my check hits the bank, the price went up from $560 t0 $615. The heck with it, I'll wait for things to stabilize on the price front.

• tring01tring01 Posts: 305
    Petercat said:
    Petercat said:

Aaaand, the day my check hits the bank, the price went up from $560 t0 $615. The heck with it, I'll wait for things to stabilize on the price front.

I've been told by a number of people that Nvidia typically does not deeply discount the previous top end cards.  They just stop manufacturing them and let the store stocks draw down whenever.  Not their problem.

You remember what was going on with Maxwell and Win10 one year ago  with nvidia's CUDA and DX12 being incompatible but as much as it immproved itis still not optimal 

mjc1016 said:
    MEC4D said:

since windows 10 sucks with Cuda I don't believe one word it will render faster , it don;t even get as fast with DX12 games and if someone  . say it is 2 x times faster again  then please pull the person back on earth 

Actually, Windows...if it isn't DX.whatever, then it isn't optimal.

In my experience, granted with very bottom end cards...a 440 and 430, both 1 GB, the 430 in Linux (yes, this is even going through WINE) is about 20% FASTER than the 440 in Windows, in Iray!  That's all down to OS/drivers...and CUDA implementation.

That was speculations explaining why 1080 was 2 x faster as Titan X and what will happen to it after release .. well nothing I guess the price did not got crazy down since last year anyway , the only lower prices you can see by manufacturers like EVGA and others  that want to get rid off and focus on new toys  

tring01 said:
    Petercat said:
    Petercat said:

I've been told by a number of people that Nvidia typically does not deeply discount the previous top end cards.  They just stop manufacturing them and let the store stocks draw down whenever.  Not their problem.

MEC4D said:

That was speculations explaining why 1080 was 2 x faster as Titan X and what will happen to it after release .. well nothing I guess the price did not got crazy down since last year anyway , the only lower prices you can see by manufacturers like EVGA and others  that want to get rid off and focus on new toys  

tring01 said:
    Petercat said:
    Petercat said:

There's also the 1070 release on the 10th.  And given that supplies of the 1080 and soon the 1070 are low, almost every store is 'sold-out' and waiting for resupply.  Until the 'feeding frenzy' goes down, the other cards won't see price cuts.

• samurlesamurle Posts: 94

Nonetheless, what's it like having two GTX 1080s?

About support regarding GTX 1080 and rendering with Iray

We will have the support around Siggraph timeframe.
    It sounds like a long time to react to a hardware we deliver our own, but wereally have to invest a lot of work for any new card.
    And we can only do that on the software side with released hardware.
    We also have other software products that have to be there first (Drivers, Cuda, ..., ...) and then we can adapt the renderer.
    I am pretty sure that you agree that you would prefer a well tested version.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

never heard of this siggraph looked it up almost sounded like a computer religon the way some web pages made it sound