Contest ~~ Because I Said So! May

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited June 2016 in Art Studio

Entries Thread shows the renders. Voting is here!

The Because I Said So! Contest features "everyday" statements which are then rendered with the artists' translation, with the emphasis on humor. Our artists are indeed creative- winners are selected by popular vote and you'll have difficult decisions to make.  We'd like you to come join the fun!

This is how it works this month:

Artists may use the captions suggested here, OR USE THEIR OWN. Limit: 20 words. (Family friendly themes and captions only.)  The theme is "Vacation" 

I've provided links to the previous discussion and entry threads so you can have fun surfing through them. See the bottom of this post.

This contest starts May 1, 2016 and ends May 31, midnight DAZ time, (click to see Mountain time clock). Voting will be 7 days, June 1-7. There will be a first -third place winner  and confidential voting determines the winners.  All registered forum members can vote. 

This is a "for fun only" contest, with bragging rights. However, I will also  award one Lucky Draw Prize $5 gift certificate using a random drawing for artists who participated. (That would be including winners, as they did not receive a cash prize.)  I appreciate your contribution to the fun!  There is also a twist this month, which will be announced at the end of the contest. 

You may submit up to eight entries.

Suggested (not required) captions can be found in the first post, I'll add suggestions there also.

Here are the guidelines.  (Format is shown after this, but please READ this so you will see the limits/sizes/etc.)

1. Maximum 8 entries. You must be logged in and use your registered account for the forums. (No guest/anonymous entries.)  Deadlines are strictly enforced when receiving entries- no exceptions. Entries must be in the ENTRIES thread to compete for the random drawing prize, and all guidelines must be followed.

2. Images must be .jpg format, new, and follow the TOS. If possible, please  embed in the post. Yes, you may post the images elsewhere once they have been posted here.  See the bottom of the post for how to embed images.

3. Put your forum name and entry #. (Like Entry #1) and brief Title on the first line, in bold please.  

4. Next, put links to your top 3 products. (You can use more.)   You should try and use most of the product, not a tiny kit-bashed piece.  See the bottom of the post for how to do a link.

Important: Please only list your main 3 products in the first set of links. If you want to list ALL the products you used, list the others as the very last thing on your entry post. This keeps the posts from getting too bogged down at the top of each entry. 

5. A brief explanation is allowed (emphasis on brief, example, a 5-6 line paragraph. If doing dialogue, no more than 15 lines please.)

6. Postwork is allowed, but the overwhelming impression of the render should be the product on its own merit.

7.  Yes, you certainly can use programs other than DAZ Studio, such as Poser, etc.

8.  For your entry to qualify, YOU MUST VOTE. Because artists cannot vote for themselves, it's not fair for them to vote for you if you do not return the favor as you would gain an advantage.

For this one, the format is as follows:

Line1: Name and entry #   and title

Line 2-4: links to 3 main items/products used

Line 5: Image

Line 6-?  Description if you want. (see limits, above)

After that, any additional products, but not required. 

Use this thread for any questions, comments, works in progress/ask opinions or for assistance with the render or the contest. In other words, have fun.

Here are some suggestions for improving your contest/daily renders.

How To Embed Images In The Post:

How to do this: (It's easy.) Attach your image using the Attach A File below this message area. Save the post. Now go to your image and click it to view it. Copy the URL.  Now Edit your post (mouse over the upper right corner above this area and you'll see a cog to click/Select Edit.) Next, go to the postcard icon above this message area and click it. Paste the URL where it says URL. For width and height, make sure width is 800 or less, and height is 600 or less. It will automatically keep the aspect ratio for you. Then, while the popup is still open, click on the Link tab and paste the URL there too. For Target, please select the "New Window (_blank) option so again, they stay on the thread. (If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I'll be glad to help you.)

How To Do A Link:

To do a link: Click on the link icon (it's that chain-link above this text area) and paste it there where it says URL. IMPORTANT: there will be two tabs, Link Info and Target. The URL is in Link Info, so that's easy. What I need you to do is THEN click on the Target tab. Please open the drop down and select  "New Window (_blank) so when people do click on the link you've provided, they don't leave the thread. (Very annoying.)  

October Discussion Thread  (2015)

October Entry Thread

October Winners  

November Discussion Thread

November Entry Thread

November Winners

December 2015 Discussion Thread

December / Jan Entry Thread

December/Jan Winners  (2015/2016)

Jan / Feb 2016 Discussion Thread

Jan / Feb 2016 Entry Thread

Jan / Feb Winners  (2016)

March / April Discussion Thread

March / April Entry Thread  (Also has the winning captions.) 

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2016

Suggested Captions:

"You forgot to pack WHAT?"

"Tell me you didn't..."

"If you brought that, I'm going home!" 

"It's not worth the price."

"I am SO not trying that." 

"Next time, I pick the place." 

"Tourist is your middle name."

"I need more money." 

"You bought WHAT?"

"Never again." 

"That wasn't exactly what the travel agency promised."

"I want a refund."

Post edited by Novica on

Thread is open. Feel free to suggest captions and of course, start on your renders! 

I already KNOW we're going to see George in a swimsuit. (no, I'm not doing him. Hey, maybe Lyam's male model will hit the beach!)

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Ohhhhh this is going to such a fun month, I am already getting ideas for this theme "Vactions"!!!

Great start Lyam! I laughed at the description!

You folks are coming up with some fun ones! 

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

I would have needed a vacation myself to get anything done this month. Having worked more than usual this month, my DAZ time suffered severely.crying When I do get a vacation, I think I'm going to see if I can book a guided tour through Gopherus mind. It seems it could be very interesting! laugh

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103

LOL!  Be sure to bring a machete and a broom!!  Who knows what long lost items my turn up?

edited May 2016

With only two participating artists (and three entries belonging to Gopherus, appreciated very much) this will be the last of the contest for now. I may do one in the late fall, we'll see. Had a lot of laughs! smiley

Post edited by Novica on

Aw that's a shame, but I understand. Summer also tends to be a slower period for all internet activities. While there were a low quantity of entries this time, there sure was nothing wrong with the quality! Will you still hold a voting Novica?

You could extend the deadline another month.  Sometimes in summer RRRR goes for twice the usual length allowing for the fact that people often take their vacations and can t fully participate.  With only two entrants you really don t need a vote.

No to extending, I've never felt that was fair to the people who made the effort to get it done, perhaps putting other things on hold to meet the deadline. Yes, we'll still vote.  smiley

I totally understand Novica, I know myself have not had the time in my life right now to do much daz stuff. I didn't even get my entry done for the newbie challenge I was lucky to get 1 entry for the RRRR contest. So I totally understand why you say no more till the fall Maybe!!!!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Sorry I haven't been able to participate more.   It has been a crazy few months.  But, yeah, I can understand wanting to take a break from it for awhile.  Gopherus' last image reminds of those old Grey Poupon commercial with the guys in the limousine!  

Sorry I haven't been able to participate more.   It has been a crazy few months.  But, yeah, I can understand wanting to take a break from it for awhile.  Gopherus' last image reminds of those old Grey Poupon commercial with the guys in the limousine!  

It's too cute! I actually named a cat Poupon that was gray. Everyone loved the name!

Well, for some reason my post didn't go through several days ago. I went to look at the voting and there wasn't any. So I looked, and the tab that I had open that had the post hadn't been sent. DUH. Sorry about that. (You should have said something, you know I have the voting up within minutes!) So here's the voting, please do because these two folks went out of their way to carry the contest! I'm leaving voting open for a week, will end next Sunday the 12th, at midnight DAZ time.

You will be picking a first and second place. Thanks so much! Good luck Lyam and Gopherus!

Voting!

Novica, I just thought you got busy and distracted!  Anway, my vote is in!  :)  It took me a few minutes to stop chuckling long enough to vote!

Vote is in some amazing renders this month

Novica, I just thought you got busy and distracted!  Anway, my vote is in!  :)  It took me a few minutes to stop chuckling long enough to vote!

Well, yeah. Because I was doing so many things in so many tabs!  blush 

Novica said:

Well, yeah. Because I was doing so many things in so many tabs!  blush 

It happens to all of us!  laugh

my vote is in... it was a tough choice but i picked the one i wanted to be on.

Gopherus said:

my vote is in... it was a tough choice but i picked the one i wanted to be on.

LOL it's hard to vote when you are the majority of the entries!

I couldn't get any renders done, but at least I could vote!

• LyamLyam Posts: 137

Got my votes in.  But it's highly unlikely that neither of my entries could hope to beat Gopherus' whacky and funny renders.  Well done!

• XaatXuunXaatXuun Posts: 871

my vote . .hmm guess I can say Votes are in

edited June 2016

Congratulations to the winners! There were definitely favorites, apparently you wish to be on a tropical island  wink using whales to get there. Lyam, I will send you the gift card code shortly.

This concludes the Because I Said So! contest, it's been fun. Everyone have a great summer!

First Place: Guys Ultimate Fantasy Vacation- The Deserted Island  (Lyam)

Second Place: "That wasn't exactly what the travel agency promised." (Gopherus)

contestUne2016Winner.jpg
    895 x 743 - 518K
    contestUne2016Winner2nd.jpg
    709 x 873 - 499K
    Post edited by Novica on

Congratulations!  Very inventive, fun renders!

Congratulations Lyam.. that s certainly the island i want to be on

thanks Novica for organizing and bringing off these contests

Congrads Winners!!! Amazing Renders and soooo funny this month!!!

• XaatXuunXaatXuun Posts: 871

Congrats to the winners

going to miss seeing seeing the contest