TabascoJack's House of Hot Sauce and Art

Comments

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

I just popped in and noticed your wonderful space tutorial.  Fantastic!  I'm going to save this.  I'm just learning Photoshop and this will help me out.  I have been playing around Ron's Space Brushes and I would definately like to try this.  Thanks Tobasco Jack!

Isn't everything by Deviney great? I went WAY over my budget when his stuff when on sale a little while back.  I found this great tutorial for organizing and separating all my brushes in Photoshop:

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

Thanks for the link to the tutorial, dracorn!

edited May 2016

I've been spending my rendering time recently working on more complex pieces.  I wanted to take a step back and just do something relatively simple.  Of course, it turned out to be slightly more involved, but I still managed to get it all done in a matter of hours, not days.

Karina - The Greek Baths

Daz Studio 4.9, Iray.
    Postwork in Photoshop (color adjustments and vignetting)

KarinaBathPS.jpg
    900 x 900 - 605K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Love the cool blues in contrast to the warm tones of her face and hair it really pulls your eye to the girl as the focal point.

Love the cool blues in contrast to the warm tones of her face and hair it really pulls your eye to the girl as the focal point.

Thanks!  I'm still learning a lot about what I can do (and how I can do it) in Photoshop.  It can really make a difference.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Thanks!  I'm still learning a lot about what I can do (and how I can do it) in Photoshop.  It can really make a difference.

I agree the colour works nicely as composition tool, then some nitpicking ( I'm sure you want to improve devil) Try to get the colours to work in DS, there are possibilities to get different light schemes to work in one render (light blocking planes outside of view. It would make the girl more fitting with her environment without loosing the colour composition.

edited May 2016

My entry for the DeviantArt Dazaholics weekly contest: "What Lies Beyond"

Ships and planet are in Daz, starfield and nebula/anomaly in Photoshop

Lots of instancing going on here, off of two ship models.  One thing I learned - For Iray, Daz, by default, in the Render Settings->Optimization tab, has "Instancing Optimzation" set to "Speed".    This may be a good idea as long as your render doesn't come close to consuming all the VRAM on your GPU.   But if you exceed that, iRay spends a lot of time moving chunks of the render on and off the the video card, which slows things down considerably.  You may very well be better off setting the Optimization to "Memory" in order to keep the whole scene in VRAM where the GPU will render it much faster.

Click for the full size image

What Lies Beyond.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 869K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Wow! I love that one Jack, its an exquisite work, nice composition and lots of detail to get lost in. Nice to see you got your "planetary work" pay off.

Linwelly said:

Wow! I love that one Jack, its an exquisite work, nice composition and lots of detail to get lost in. Nice to see you got your "planetary work" pay off.

Thanks!

Really like this one! 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

That's a really nice image!  I have to say I only pop into that thread occassionally and I didn't even know they had a weekly contest! Good luck, though!

Thanks Sonja and Knittingmommy!

edited June 2016

Gonna be playing with Bryce for a while.  Seems to be a very powerful tool with a very non-intuitive UI.  There is so much you can do in it, but I think you have to dig down deep into it to really make it perform.

Also, I've gotten very spoiled with Iray on my nVidia cards, and being able to render most things in under an hour.  These 6-8 hour renders are annoying.  I found myself digging out old laptops so I could network render to cut the time down and it still took 4+ hours.  smiley

The scene below was a couple of basic terrain blocks, a water plane, the Tramp Steamer, various spotlights around the ship, and a lighthouse created from some primitives and a spotlight.  And a really big sphere filled with fog that slowed the render down a lot.

Postwork in Photoshop.

Wanderer

WandererLE.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 195K
  • I'm really digging the space artwork.  I'm going to have to try my hand at my own once I have a chance to get off work and digest those tutorials you posted.

For Bryce, have you considered using Aws virtual machines to speed up your final renders?  It's only a few cents per processer per hour, and it's really useful for speeding up slow renders.

Gonna be playing with Bryce for a while.  Seems to be a very powerful tool with a very non-intuitive UI.  There is so much you can do in it, but I think you have to dig down deep into it to really make it perform.

Also, I've gotten very spoiled with Iray on my nVidia cards, and being able to render most things in under an hour.  These 6-8 hour renders are annoying.  I found myself digging out old laptops so I could network render to cut the time down and it still took 4+ hours.  smiley

I'm really digging the space artwork.  I'm going to have to try my hand at my own once I have a chance to get off work and digest those tutorials you posted.

For Bryce, have you considered using Aws virtual machines to speed up your final renders?  It's only a few cents per processer per hour, and it's really useful for speeding up slow renders.

Using AWS is an excellent idea.  I'll have to look into that.

That is a very cool scene.  I have played a tiny bit with Bryce and really like it as well, but its been difficult to find the time to learn everything that I want to learn in all the programs that I want to learn lol.  But this turned out beautifully and I think it was worth the long render time

edited June 2016

Continuing my Bryce education....

Stacked Terrains.  This gets mentioned a lot in scene descriptions, so I decided to find out what they were and how they work.  For a good tutorial, see Horo's tutorial.  In a nutshell, the technique involves generating a fractal terrain, then turning off the randomization and generating the same terrain again at multiple resolutions.  Then have them occupy the same space.  The differeing resolutions create pokethrough.  You can then give each terrain different materials (for example, underlying rock, vegetation, snow cover) and let the pokethrough add increased variation to the terrain.

Looks very nice!  I haven't tried the stacked terrains, yet.  

edited June 2016

Echoes of the Phoenix

The evening devotion begins in solitude as the sun sinks below the sacred peaks of Bryn'elth

Bryce Pro 7.1
    Daz 4.9
    Postwork in Photoshop

As I was experimenting in Bryce in creating terrains, and rotating the terrain around to find interesting perspectives, I noticed the mountain formation that looked like upthrust wings.  That led me to a landscape with the sun behind the formation.  In looking for another point of interest, I thought echoing the shape of the mountain in a character would be a good choice and provide a bit of story...

Echoes of the Phoenix.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    edited June 2016

Updated version after some more postwork  - click the attachment for the full size version.

Echoes of the Phoenix - 2.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 846K

Very cool image.  I like the additional postwork.  :)

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

The scene below was a couple of basic terrain blocks, a water plane, the Tramp Steamer, various spotlights around the ship, and a lighthouse created from some primitives and a spotlight.  And a really big sphere filled with fog that slowed the render down a lot.

Postwork in Photoshop.

Wanderer

I like this one.  It displays serenety in the night, but also the direction towards the lighthouse.  The fog atomosphere makes it look realistic.  Very nice job, Jack.

edited June 2016

While learning Bryce, I wanted to make sure I kept my hand in with Daz Studio as well....

A quick render, playing with texture maps for the frosted glass panel.

White Room Red Dress.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 548K

Very cool looking! I like the simplicity of the image and the texture on the panel!

edited June 2016

Driving back from vacation, this came over the radio.  I had to make a render.

"Raven hair and ruby lips,
    Sparks fly from her fingertips..."

-- "Witchy Woman", The Eagles

Witchy Woman

WitchyWoman.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 408K

Oh that's perfect!

Oh that's perfect!

Thanks!  I'm pretty happy with it.

Very nice, TJ!  I like the glowing sparkles in her hand, too!

edited June 2016

Thanks!

My only complaint (now that I've posted it various places) is that I forgot to enable DOF.

And I wanted to rotate the camera a bit.

And I meant to do some postwork in the back rooms to add some fog / smoke.

And maybe I'll do an updated version.  laugh

Thanks!

My only complaint (now that I've posted it various places) is that I forgot to enable DOF.

And I wanted to rotate the camera a bit.

And I meant to do some postwork in the back rooms to add some fog / smoke.

And maybe I'll do an updated version.  laugh

Hahaha I have a folder for that....