Just Because I Can. STUPID THREAD III

Comments

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

you want stooooopid read the comments on my latest video upload!

Dang wendy..lol those are some really off the wall comments.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:

Thanks spyro . i think i understand some of what your trying to tell me. so the scale are different between poser/daz and 3dsmax.. i thought i was doing something wrong. now i understand what you told me. I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Also I think saving as a obj file is better for me right now because i am still learning this and wasn't to sure how the fxb function even worked..lol.

Thought the texture maps i made were custom fit for 3ds max so when i try to use them in daz or poser the scale of the texture was also large and can't be edited in poser.. so i guess i have to rescale the textures as well.

Gag. all this 3ds stuff is giving me a headache...lol
    so once i save as a obj and i load it into daz or poser i could recreate new textures for poser to fit the obj made correct.? would that be easier to do it that way than to try to resize the 3ds texture map to fit poser scale as well .. and f i do it that way will i need to have the textures in my runtime in order for it to work in daz or poser?
    what about the bump-map option in 3ds does that carry over in the uv mapping as well?

there is so many options I'm lost in a maze of the program..lol

I've been writing down all my questions to ask the teacher Tuesday..lol
    really though thank you for the help spyro.

Yeah there is sooooooooooooo much in Max, I'm trying to simplify things but they are such broad answers, and I bet there are millions of ways of doing it that I just don't know yet. And FYI - I was never taught how to export 3ds max stuff to Daz or poser, which is expected that they wouldn't... Unfortunately I don't know anything really on Maya... I was only taught Max.

My primary objective when using 3ds max with daz is the model, scale, placement and it's UV mapping. I havent stuggled much to get materials from Max to Daz because Daz don't have MentalRay.

"what about the bump-map option in 3ds does that carry over in the uv mapping as well?"

That depends on the shader, I have a feeling Daz will read the default 3ds max shader and will allow textures and their settings to carry over... The colors on my arrow surprisingly came across to daz, until recently, It has not arrived with any texture settings. If you are referring to surfacing displacement modifier, which uses a texture image, then Yes it will come across... But I assume You indeed meant bump textures/maps not an actual modifier.

so once i save as a obj and i load it into daz or poser i could recreate new textures for poser to fit the obj made correct.?

Yes. The object is like any object in daz or poser. You have full control over the surfacing tab and can apply any supported shader for example: the common Human Surface Shader for instance. I dont know about poser, but in daz you can control the tiling, placement and rotation of textures. (When you learn UVW Mapping in class, none of this will be necessary, and your textures will fit perfectly in daz just as it does in 3ds max)

would that be easier to do it that way than to try to resize the 3ds texture map to fit poser scale as well .. and f i do it that way will i need to have the textures in my runtime in order for it to work in daz or poser?

Only play with the textures once you have a successful export, and that your happy with the imported rotations, trans, Scale. I generally dont put my 3ds textures in Daz runtime... It's faster and easier just to have it load the textures and other files from a designated folder in 'My Documents' I called mine something like '3dsMax-DazExport' It has everything daz needs for those files. I prefer it that way because its faster navigation and doesn't clog up my daz runtime. (But that's just preference, you can export that stuff where ever, But do keep it all together) I also think that the texture map will rescale with the item, I haven't had any problems in that respect. But give the scaling a go, make sure you don't save over your 3ds max scene though, you don't want to ever loose the original, trust me.

I wish it was simple to explain all this, but the 3d software is just so advanced LOL
    But you seem like you're really getting there! So Good for you! :cheese:

Feel free to PM we when ever :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 1969

there are simillar issues in that Carrara proceedural shaders do not export.
    even Poser materials generally do not work in studio.
    uv mapped texture images is the only real universal way of doing stuff.
    I have been looking at mtl files and how obj files read them in notepad as aresult of playing with other software suites,
    some quite interesting differences, learning to "fix" them

edited December 1969

@ Ivy - Do ask your teacher everything... Man I have a huge list of questions I'd love to ask my previous teacher! 3D was pretty new in my area, and they brought in a teacher/ Professional 3d modeler/Animator from the west. He was absolutely genius! Though he returned home after my diploma... I wish he were still here, 3d has became my passion lol And I keep finding myself in area's of the software that they just couldn't fit in our course schedule.

edited December 1969

I have been looking at mtl files and how obj files read them in notepad as aresult of playing with other software suites,

Yes indeed, UVW maps are really vital to cross software applications. I would have a lot of difficulties without UV mapping! And Ivy, they will teach you it, and it's one of the vitals you will want to know

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

lol! I have a tendency to poke the trolls with a stick!
    they hate a certain dance aniblock combo I keep repeatedly using even though I have literally thousands of bvh, mocap and other motions on my hardrive to choose from.
    so
    I keep reusing it!!!
    did on that video too!
    they keep telling me to get some other moves lol!
    also file extension wmv after my title
    and the classic
    this video was uploaded from an android phone
    or
    no description avalaible
    which I get in my description if I do not type one depending on whether I upload from my desktop or Galaxy tab.
    I get a lot of comments on both!

Whenever you post a link to a new video, Wendy, I end up spending a long time in your garden of madness, lol. The effect is much like a psychoactive medication.
    My current theory is that you yourself probably do not have brain damage, but you may be a carrier. :)
    And reading the comments are half the fun. For "Hell Farm" I especially liked "Shrek 5 is looking good."

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm a Big fan of Wendy's Wacky Weird world, I laugh, I cry, I gasp, and many other emotions run through me when I watch her stuff. I'm a BIG fan of the Vacation ones, they just get me every time. If you have not caught them try to watch them in order. Then come back and let me know just when your brain melted. Such fun.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

I'm hungry. Gonna hunt and gather some supper soon. Maybe track down a herd of cheeseburgers. I would rather have chili but that would require a 24 mile round-trip. My tribe fears to wander that far from the caves because it will be dark soon and the evil spirits will be roaming the night.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

Sometimes I have difficult finding something in control panel. I know what I need to get done but I forget what the name of that function that does it is. The list is by alphabetical order so once I remember the right name I can see it right away.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Sometimes? I always have problems finding what I want to do in Control Panel.

edited December 1969

I'll be waiting for you to teach me how to fix them.

edited December 1969

Anne, the thread might even help Spiro and Ivy with obj and mtl files
    basically if it is uv mapped, it can read a mtl file if you point it to it in the first sentence of the obj file
    I have re-exported stuff without mtl files and added mtllib nameoffile.mtl to the obj in note pad to get it to read a file for the original unmodified version
    also you can change things like making it load with backfaces etc in the mtl file in notepad, or the kind of image used using find and replace for dds to jpg for example if you batch converted the images because your program does not read them like I did.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I'm a Big fan of Wendy's Wacky Weird world, I laugh, I cry, I gasp, and many other emotions run through me when I watch her stuff. I'm a BIG fan of the Vacation ones, they just get me every time. If you have not caught them try to watch them in order. Then come back and let me know just when your brain melted. Such fun.

...me too. I laugh I gasp, I cry, I kiss more brain cells goodbye.

...but it feels so good.

edited December 1969

Anne, the thread might even help Spiro and Ivy with obj and mtl files
    basically if it is uv mapped, it can read a mtl file if you point it to it in the first sentence of the obj file
    I have re-exported stuff without mtl files and added mtllib nameoffile.mtl to the obj in note pad to get it to read a file for the original unmodified version
    also you can change things like making it load with backfaces etc in the mtl file in notepad, or the kind of image used using find and replace for dds to jpg for example if you batch converted the images because your program does not read them like I did.

Thanks for the thread link, Wendy. Very interesting. I enjoy getting into the guts of things.

edited December 1969

Does anyone happen to know of any good cloth making threads for genesis? I think I want to have a look and see if it's worthwhile in pursuing.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

Spyro said:
    Does anyone happen to know of any good cloth making threads for genesis? I think I want to have a look and see if it's worthwhile in pursuing.
    Start here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2174/
    This one looks good as well http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41/
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Oh thanks Jaderail! Took me ages to find this thread... Commons have been extremely active recently!

I'm thinking it would be cool to make my own clothes with designs that I've made. That is IF it's not too complicated to do.

edited December 1969

I bought Blondie's tutorial when it was on sale, got it on my android, still have not tried it, too many other pretties and more to come,
    I actually want more to rig figures than make clothes, not ones I made, just unrigged models of things I like for animation like I do in Carrara but to be able to use in studio too.

edited December 1969

I bought Blondie's tutorial when it was on sale, got it on my android, still have not tried it, too many other pretties and more to come,
    I actually want more to rig figures than make clothes, not ones I made, just unrigged models of things I like for animation like I do in Carrara but to be able to use in studio too.

Especially now that the PC sale has started! Hoping lots of cool new stuff appears.... My characters need clothes desperately.

edited December 1969

Question... Has anyone got Cyborg Model 4?????? What do you think of it????? Is the rigging good? is the uv mapping and textures alterable friendly? and does the model work well in close-ups????

edited December 1969

just trying to post cos daz wont let me submit anything GRRRRR

edited December 1969

WTF... Why cant I post in art studio !!!

edited December 1969

are you using the same or a common phrase such as "another render by me!'
    the SPAM filter may be stoppng you
    Post "rubbarb" then edit it afterwards
    nextime you will need another word!
    try just posting "yes" here and see what happens lol!!!!

edited December 1969

yes NOT!!!!!!!

Untitled.jpg
    1309 x 1019 - 158K
    edited December 1969

Oh, I see why it's doing that, thanks Wendy. It's just so annoying! But Spams more annoying so it's acceptable I guess. AND I HATE THAT ERROR MESSAGE lol! :P

I finally got it to post :cheese:

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

oh this is stooopid, I log out on my android to test
    AND MY BOOKMARK LOGS ME BACK IN AGAIN!!

edited December 1969

oh this is stooopid, I log out on my android to test
    AND MY BOOKMARK LOGS ME BACK IN AGAIN!!

I just tried to log out of forms, and after I do, I open forums and I'm not logged out at all. Only the store logs out.

edited December 1969

Why a non-PC member?

edited December 1969

because it is an image I posted in the members section and facebook will not show a thumb if I put the image's url in so wondering if others can see it if clicked.

This discussion has been closed.