Just Because I Can. STUPID THREAD III

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...stupid bot is still borked.

Guess that is fitting on a thread with "stupid" in the title.

I hate playing ketchup, I prefer sweet-hot British pub mustard.

-----

Beautiful Sunday out, would be stupid to waste it sitting inside.

Besides, it's 10$ Pitcher Sunday at my favourite neighbourhood brew pub and they have plenty of outdoor seating as well as wi-fi.

Packers are ahead 21 -7 in the second quarter. can keep tabs on the game at the ESPN site.

Time to go soak up some Vitamin D.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited December 1969

Here is the model i done for class Spyro, all textured and lighted.. I used the trial version of metal-ray

I have no idea how to add any doors or windows yet.and i made the walls removable in panels
    I'm not to sure about the UV map to create the shine for the marble i think i have the bounce perimeter set to high.., its still all a learning process.using 3ds for architecture. you would have laughed because it took me a hour just to figure how to parent the textures to the mesh..lol

anyway here a few quick renders i did . I have to have it for class Tuesday

What you all think will I get a good grade on this?

greek-temple02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 184K
    greek-temple04.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 253K
    greek-temple03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 155K
    greek-temple01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 158K
    edited December 1969

a couple of more

greek-temple07.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 131K
    greek-temple06.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 262K
    greek-temple05.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 69K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Jaderail said:
    Ivy I know all about the Links and I can link to my DA stuff because it is filtered. Sypro That's what I try to do, Nudes as art, I studied them long enough in my years of pen and ink days. What I'm trying to point out is that almost my full DA gallery was once HOSTED here at Daz3D when we had flags. I need the flags to come back so I can enjoy Daz3D like I did in the past.

What sort of flags you need, here is a few flags, or you could even use the flag alphabet and spell out your own. That would be stupid, as it wouldn't help with your problem.

Hey, Cho! Translate this. :lol:

flags.jpg
    147 x 53 - 16K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...stupid bot is still borked.

Guess that is fitting on a thread with "stupid" in the title.

I hate playing ketchup, I prefer sweet-hot British pub mustard.

-----

Beautiful Sunday out, would be stupid to waste it sitting inside.

Besides, it's 10$ Pitcher Sunday at my favourite neighbourhood brew pub and they have plenty of outdoor seating as well as wi-fi.

Packers are ahead 21 -7 in the second quarter. can keep tabs on the game at the ESPN site.

Time to go soak up some Vitamin D.

My mum has NFL ticket so she can watch her team every Sunday. i bet you can guess what her team is. When I called her about half an hour ago, she was busy watching her game so she could not talk.

You probably can guess her team. ;-)

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    chohole said:
    Jaderail said:
    Ivy I know all about the Links and I can link to my DA stuff because it is filtered. Sypro That's what I try to do, Nudes as art, I studied them long enough in my years of pen and ink days. What I'm trying to point out is that almost my full DA gallery was once HOSTED here at Daz3D when we had flags. I need the flags to come back so I can enjoy Daz3D like I did in the past.

What sort of flags you need, here is a few flags, or you could even use the flag alphabet and spell out your own. That would be stupid, as it wouldn't help with your problem.

LOL

wait why was I laughing?

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    chohole said:
    Jaderail said:

LOL

wait why was I laughing?

You're quick, MBW. ;-)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    Here is the model i done for class Spyro, all textured and lighted.. I used the trial version of metal-ray

I have no idea how to add any doors or windows yet.and i made the walls removable in panels
    I'm not to sure about the UV map to create the shine for the marble i think i have the bounce perimeter set to high.., its still all a learning process.using 3ds for architecture. you would have laughed because it took me a hour just to figure how to parent the textures to the mesh..lol

That is Great Ivy!! Terrific job with the texturing! and it looks like your getting a grasp of the reflections and material parameters.

I would tell you about UVW Mapping, however, You're course is strategically structured in a way that is the best for students learning from scratch... It was a several months before I even heard of UVW when I first started lol! But the basic UVW mapping that I started with is in the modifiers tab on what ever object you want to map, and select "UVW Map" there are various presets, that are usefull for basic shaped objects, you can set individual settings on an object such as how many tiles of the texture, its rotation, placement, Cylindrical, Spherical or Box... But that's only the tip of what you can do. When you advance through that, You'll be taught "Unwrap UVW" This is what I use for almost everything I model.

I'm loveing the set you've made, and I see you're having a little problem with the mesh artifact on your arches... Question, On the arches, what primitive did you use, and was it 'Edit Poly' OR 'Edit Mesh'? Generally I always use edit Poly... As it is a little more controllable.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    tjohn said:
    chohole said:
    Jaderail said:

LOL

wait why was I laughing?

You're quick, MBW. ;-)

I remembered that Cho's post had a key to what those flags mean

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:

Looks great, Ivy

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Ivy said:

That is Great Ivy!! Terrific job with the texturing! and it looks like your getting a grasp of the reflections and material parameters.

I would tell you about UVW Mapping, however, You're course is strategically structured in a way that is the best for students learning from scratch... It was a several months before I even heard of UVW when I first started lol! But the basic UVW mapping that I started with is in the modifiers tab on what ever object you want to map, and select "UVW Map" there are various presets, that are usefull for basic shaped objects, you can set individual settings on an object such as how many tiles of the texture, its rotation, placement, Cylindrical, Spherical or Box... But that's only the tip of what you can do. When you advance through that, You'll be taught "Unwrap UVW" This is what I use for almost everything I model.

I'm loveing the set you've made, and I see you're having a little problem with the mesh artifact on your arches... Question, On the arches, what primitive did you use, and was it 'Edit Poly' OR 'Edit Mesh'? Generally I always use edit Poly... As it is a little more controllable.

Thanks for your input. everything was created using the mesh tab option they haven't taught us to use poly count controls yet in class..like i said i had to jump ahead a few chapters just so i could figure out how to apply the mats. I seen a place option for adding bump mapping, i wonder if that would help with the mesh blur in the arches.

when i take this model all textured to class I'll properly be told i did it wrong lol
    I do have a question though.
    I know how to save this model as a .obj but it doesn't export the textures when you save as a .obj.
    So can i export the model with FXB with the textures intact?
    I would like to try to use this in daz or poser. what is the best way to save it so i can do that? will i need to create a file tree for FXB export?
    right now i can save as a obj and load in poser as a obj, but it looks different than when its loaded in 3ds. plus the textures i have for 3ds won't match the obj when i load it through poser and the obj scale is way big in poser than in 3ds. is that normal?

So many questions, So many questions..lol

edited December 1969

Ivy said:

Looks great, Ivy

Thank you mike.
    I'm trying. but i think i got a cramp in my brain..lol

edited December 1969

I once saw a cartoon where they had a scene that appears to have characters with a wireframe overlay, but that was done wrong. Wireframe is not lines put on a chacters, but those lines actually represent something.

edited December 1969

Hey, I got my second little green square and just now noticed. Wheee!

edited December 1969

tjohn said:

Congrats.

I brought up DS4.5 and loaded Hitomi and then put the preview window to show wireframe. It was too many lines so I did wireframe hidden lines then it was easier to see the lines.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:

Congrats.

I brought up DS4.5 and loaded Hitomi and then put the preview window to show wireframe. It was too many lines so I did wireframe hidden lines then it was easier to see the lines.

Thanks! I'm beside myself with joy. (High fives with duplicate self)
    Yes!!

edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    Spyro said:
    Ivy said:

Thanks for your input. everything was created using the mesh tab option they haven't taught us to use poly count controls yet in class..like i said i had to jump ahead a few chapters just so i could figure out how to apply the mats. I seen a place option for adding bump mapping, i wonder if that would help with the mesh blur in the arches.

when i take this model all textured to class I'll properly be told i did it wrong lol
    I do have a question though.
    I know how to save this model as a .obj but it doesn't export the textures when you save as a .obj.
    So can i export the model with FXB with the textures intact?
    I would like to try to use this in daz or poser. what is the best way to save it so i can do that? will i need to create a file tree for FXB export?
    right now i can save as a obj and load in poser as a obj, but it looks different than when its loaded in 3ds. plus the textures i have for 3ds won't match the obj when i load it through poser and the obj scale is way big in poser than in 3ds. is that normal?

So many questions, So many questions..lol

OK... I'm just gathering my export settings... Bare with me for a moment, I need to export my arrow right now and I'll record my settings for you... 3ds max scale is completely different to Daz/Poser... Daz and Poser tiny compared to 3ds max.

I'll get back to you ASAP. :cheese:

edited September 2012

Ok... So scale IS an issue between Import/Export on Daz/Poser to and from 3DS Max. I've questioned heaps of people about it, but no one seemed to have the answer... Soooooo.... I exported something from daz to 3ds max as an OBJ file that I could work out the scaling. Basically, Daz/Poser is tiny scale in 3ds max. And Max is huge in Daz/Poser!

Here is what my settings are for my freebie props I've been making. TAKE NOTE that I have scaled the items in Max to match the scale of similar props from DAZ. In terms of what your working with... You may want to export M4 or Genesis?? and re-scale your scene (Group everything, then re-scale the group so that your imported M4 or Genesis looks like he's actually standing in the building you have made.

Note: When you've re-scaled the stuff in Max to tiny scale, the camera's mainly Orthographic and Perspective will be VERY touchy. I like to use the non-perspective cams like FRONT, TOP, LEFT etc.

Also have a look at my scale settings on my IMPORT to DAZ screenie and my EXPORT from MAX. My arrow which I exported successfully is the exact scale of a purchased arrow prop I bought an RO. in both applications.

Sorry that I dont have a direct answer for this particular question, But I haven't yet fully nailed the answer to it LOL

I use OBJ EXPORT. Not FBX.

PS. I export my obj files from Daz with the setting preset '3DS MAX (1 unit = 1m)'

A2.jpg
    660 x 664 - 182K
    A1.jpg
    660 x 664 - 176K
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited September 2012

A summary of this, cos I think it sounds confusing...

Export an object from Daz, Import it to Max (An item you can use as a reference to re-scale your stuff in Max)
    To rescale every thing in max - Select everything, select group>Group in main task bar. Then re-scale and adjust translation as you require.

Now that the item from daz matches the scale of your rescaled max stuff, export as an OBJ. Refer to the settings above.

I HAVE NOT tested any of this with poser... as I do not have the poser software.

PS. I export my obj files from Daz with the setting preset '3DS MAX (1 unit = 1m)'

edited September 2012

Textures/Materials.........

Okay, this will be an issue for you... I get around this by UVW mapping. FBX will do things similar to OBJ, But I prefer OBJ, as that was what I worked out the scaling on. And OBJ is a file type that Daz uses all the time.

What I do, is UVW Unwrap the items and render UV templates... It has taken me a while to learn it myself, and unfortunately, UVW Unwrap wasn't covered in my diploma. So I learned by Trial and Error as well as youtube tutorials.

Any way... I don't think anything VRay or Mental Ray and their shaders will come across as both render engines are not supported by Daz. But, your textures you're using should load up the same when you add textures in daz... But don't hold me on that as I UVW Map, and I know the UV process works just fine between the two.

Make sure in the MAX OBJ export window that you have the materials section all ticked, that may also cause your issue. Make sure Texture Coordinates is checked.

Most of the time, I load up my textures in Daz, purely because MentalRay shader are not supported. Another tip you MUST know is that every thing will become one, and material zones are created according to what texture you've got on the model when exported. That means, that a blue textured box will have its own material zone, A green material box will have its own material zone, and a purple one has its own etc.

Here is my arrow... Notice I have applied a different material to different parts of the model... This tells daz that I have multiple material zones, so that when I go to the surfaces tab, I can apply separate materials to each different area of the arrow.

Try using my settings above.... but make sure you fix the scaling first... You may have had materials un-checked. If the textures are not holding there positions on the items you have created in Max, it may be because you have not UV mapped it... I can explain the 'simple' UV mapping if you like, but right now, my concern is the scaling of your scene.

colour.jpg
    1000 x 162 - 43K
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Jaderail said:

Let me spell it out for ya, Cho...

StupidFlagged01.jpg
    238 x 61 - 4K
    edited December 1969

...:-)

edited December 1969

...hey, the stupid bot for this thread finally worked.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Jaderail said:

Let me spell it out for ya, Cho...

That image should be the cover for this thread lol

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited September 2012

you want stooooopid read the comments on my latest video upload!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

One of the better comments:

Japan is watching this and furiously taking notes

:lol:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

lol! I have a tendency to poke the trolls with a stick!
    they hate a certain dance aniblock combo I keep repeatedly using even though I have literally thousands of bvh, mocap and other motions on my hardrive to choose from.
    so
    I keep reusing it!!!
    did on that video too!
    they keep telling me to get some other moves lol!
    also file extension wmv after my title
    and the classic
    this video was uploaded from an android phone
    or
    no description avalaible
    which I get in my description if I do not type one depending on whether I upload from my desktop or Galaxy tab.
    I get a lot of comments on both!

edited December 1969

One of the better comments:

Japan is watching this and furiously taking notes

:lol:

Wendy that was so funny lol, The closing scene with the dancing totally polished it off haha!

edited December 1969

I get a lot of comments on both!

Some more constructive than others.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Textures/Materials.........

Okay, this will be an issue for you... I get around this by UVW mapping. FBX will do things similar to OBJ, But I prefer OBJ, as that was what I worked out the scaling on. And OBJ is a file type that Daz uses all the time.

What I do, is UVW Unwrap the items and render UV templates... It has taken me a while to learn it myself, and unfortunately, UVW Unwrap wasn't covered in my diploma. So I learned by Trial and Error as well as youtube tutorials.

Any way... I don't think anything VRay or Mental Ray and their shaders will come across as both render engines are not supported by Daz. But, your textures you're using should load up the same when you add textures in daz... But don't hold me on that as I UVW Map, and I know the UV process works just fine between the two.

Make sure in the MAX OBJ export window that you have the materials section all ticked, that may also cause your issue. Make sure Texture Coordinates is checked.

Most of the time, I load up my textures in Daz, purely because MentalRay shader are not supported. Another tip you MUST know is that every thing will become one, and material zones are created according to what texture you've got on the model when exported. That means, that a blue textured box will have its own material zone, A green material box will have its own material zone, and a purple one has its own etc.

Here is my arrow... Notice I have applied a different material to different parts of the model... This tells daz that I have multiple material zones, so that when I go to the surfaces tab, I can apply separate materials to each different area of the arrow.

Try using my settings above.... but make sure you fix the scaling first... You may have had materials un-checked. If the textures are not holding there positions on the items you have created in Max, it may be because you have not UV mapped it... I can explain the 'simple' UV mapping if you like, but right now, my concern is the scaling of your scene.

Thanks spyro . i think i understand some of what your trying to tell me. so the scale are different between poser/daz and 3dsmax.. i thought i was doing something wrong. now i understand what you told me. I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Also I think saving as a obj file is better for me right now because i am still learning this and wasn't to sure how the fxb function even worked..lol.

Thought the texture maps i made were custom fit for 3ds max so when i try to use them in daz or poser the scale of the texture was also large and can't be edited in poser.. so i guess i have to rescale the textures as well.

Gag. all this 3ds stuff is giving me a headache...lol
    so once i save as a obj and i load it into daz or poser i could recreate new textures for poser to fit the obj made correct.? would that be easier to do it that way than to try to resize the 3ds texture map to fit poser scale as well .. and f i do it that way will i need to have the textures in my runtime in order for it to work in daz or poser?
    what about the bump-map option in 3ds does that carry over in the uv mapping as well?

there is so many options I'm lost in a maze of the program..lol

I've been writing down all my questions to ask the teacher Tuesday..lol
    really though thank you for the help spyro.

This discussion has been closed.