UV Tailor

Comments

• So is there any advantage to this over a program like 3D coat or Blacksmith? If you save out the maps for a figure like Genesis 3, wouldn't you have to worry about seams if painting in a 2 D program? (I may be wrong, but I believe all the maps would load for painting into 3D coat. But I haven't really tried a figure. Just clothing.)

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750

Cheers for that RoLoW (and anyone else involved).

• Great install guide! Serial number install is not obvious if you haven't sone it before.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686

What I'd like, myself, is a UV-transfer tool, whereby a mesh could be remapped according to a UV-set on another mesh, based on relative mapping of an existing map held in common.  (This wouldn't work, say, between Posette and Victoria 6 G2F, but if both G2F and the loaded Kids4 share a V4 map, one could remap Kids4 according to Victoria 6 or vise versa.)  It'd basically line up seams and user-selected index points (navels or nipples, for example), and extrapolate the points between for minimal stretching.

How doable is that?

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

So you would find it useful to grab single uv points (or a set) and shift them around on the map directly?

That would be a really nice thing. I'm not yet owning the creating uvmap tools and with that option I guess the learning would come easier with anoption like that, to see how a change affects the prop. also there are a lot of smallscale changes I could imagine to use that for like adapting clothes.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

What would be really cool (I don't know if it's do-able though) is if it could be added that this product could take an un-UV mapped object/character at world's center, split it down the middle at 0 z (or across at 0 x) then flatten out both sides and create a template

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

This tool sounds way more advanced than what I can understand, much less use, but mac compatability is always a go to feature request :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

Josh was the original requestor for this tool as he needed a way to export entire UV sets. It can export any of the multiple sets that the new models have and I believe unique to this tool, it can export the actual uvs at the different subdivision levels. You need to check your textures against these as the uvs change slightly as subdivision levels change.

UV Tailor is not currently a uv mapper - creator of new uv sets, just gives you access to the different sets the models alreay have.

Yes, any of the geografted, including anatomical elements, can be viewed and exported. Details are in the pdf (how to do this with Genesis 3 being a little different than the others.)

And yes, you can export the uvs of any model - figure, prop, hair, any model that uses uvs and not just a constant color. I used figure examples in the pics as they are easily recognizable. A lot of prop and hair uvs are just bunches of parallel lines. You need them, but they don't make good illustrations.

Does the above line hint to further developement of this tool then? 

• GreycatGreycat Posts: 332

Will this plug in work in DAZ 4.8, or is it 4.9 only?

• Written and tested in 4.8. Requires 4.8 or up.

• GreycatGreycat Posts: 332

Thanks

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

What I'd like, myself, is a UV-transfer tool, whereby a mesh could be remapped according to a UV-set on another mesh, based on relative mapping of an existing map held in common.  (This wouldn't work, say, between Posette and Victoria 6 G2F, but if both G2F and the loaded Kids4 share a V4 map, one could remap Kids4 according to Victoria 6 or vise versa.)  It'd basically line up seams and user-selected index points (navels or nipples, for example), and extrapolate the points between for minimal stretching.

How doable is that?

That would be great! :D

• JhudJhud Posts: 30

Is this considered a Merchant Resource? 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219

It produces templates, not content, so I'm not sure what you mean? The templates are of course for use in creating textures.

Jhud said:

Is this considered a Merchant Resource? 

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562

Just purchased this, but having a number of problems.

The first I encountered was that access the UV Tailor tab totally took over my workspace. It minimized all other windows to the point that I could not access any of them to resize back. I had to load a new workspace layout to reset it. This appeared to happen because UV Tailor was sent to "default" texture size and the pane was docked at the bottom of my workspace. When the UV Tailor pane was accessed the bottom pane expanded to take over the entire screen. (I don't know if reseting the Workspace was the only way to fix this, but it was the first way I found after trying (unsucessfully) to resize the panes and windows.)

Having the UV Tailor pane active and then clicking in any part of the Scene tab caused a Fatal Error:
    DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "F:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\UVTailor64.dll" at 0033:00000000238420E2, getPluginDefinition()+3650 byte(s)

Likewise if you click on the model using any tool other than the Surface Selection tool:
    DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "F:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\UVTailor64.dll" at 0033:00000000231120E2, getPluginDefinition()+3650 byte(s)

Is it possible to fix these?

Exactly which version of DS are you running? Help>About DAZ Studio...

Is any one else seeing the same behavior? I am trying to determine if it is my install or the plug in.

Okay, I tried this on two other computers and got the exact same crashes. I am going to assume that it is the plug in and not my specific installation. I will open a tech support request.

• UV Tailor should come up as a floating pane. I never dock it, but drag it to the side or another window.
    The only known issue so far is if you click on the Save button without selecting any surface (no image displaying in the window) it would crash.
    A fix for this was sent in yesterday so there should be an update in the Install Manager soon.
    I've never seen it come up, when selected from Windows/panes, any way other than an on top pop up window.

• I have been selecting surfaces in the surface tab. What tool did you use to click on the model directly that caused a crash?

Here are the exact steps I go through:

1. Content Library, add RoboWasp.

2. Activate UV Tailor pane.

3. Use Universal Tool to select any part of RoboWasp.

4. Click on any option within the UV Tailor pane (any of the check boxes, export size, etc.)

5. See attached image: "DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "F:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\UVTailor64.dll" at 0033:00000000CED020E2, getPluginDefinition()+3650 byte(s)."

Untitled-1.jpg
    560 x 530 - 274K

The exact same process as above, except this change:

3. Use Surface Selection Tool to select any part of RoboWasp.

No error occurs.

It appears that an error trap needs to be added; if a portion of the model (other than a Surface) is active, do something other than what it is trying to do.

• Will try this this evening.
    If you see an update appear in Install Manager today, please load it and try the same steps and see if you get the same error.
    The addition was extra error traps for surfaces not being selected.

• Thanks for the bug report.
    I was able to duplicate and fix it. It was erroring when a non mesh object (like a bone) was the main selection.
    Update has been uploaded to DAZ and will come through the Install Manager after they check it.

Thank you. It was getting kind of irritating when I would forget to be careful.

• cdpro_2831bbd990cdpro_2831bbd990 Posts: 1,430

I'm really new to Daz overall.  So, forgive me for such a basic question.  But, does UV tailor export edited skin sets to a new .duf that installs into the Materials category, so I can immediately use my new skin as an option?

Does this mess up the original skin?

I ask because I have edited textures using the Photoshop Bridge.  But, it was somewhat of a pain to create a new .duf and install it in the materials.  I did a face texture but could not get it to load without overwriting the original (which I didn't really want to do).  I wanted to make a new option, not replace the original.

Also, is the texture edited in UV Tailor, or is it edited in Photoshop, then imported into UV Tailor?

I'm just hoping to have an easy way to create my own skins from photos as options for my Daz characters.

I'm really new to Daz overall.  So, forgive me for such a basic question.  But, does UV tailor export edited skin sets to a new .duf that installs into the Materials category, so I can immediately use my new skin as an option?

I ask because I have edited textures using the Photoshop Bridge.  But, it was somewhat of a pain to create a new .duf and install it in the materials.  I did a face texture but could not get it to load without overwriting the original (which I didn't really want to do).  I wanted to make a new option, not replace the original.

Also, is the texture edited in UV Tailor, or is it edited in Photoshop, then imported into UV Tailor?

I'm just hoping to have an easy way to create my own skins from photos as options for my Daz characters.

None of the above - UV Tailor produces the templates showing which bits of the mesh take which bits of an image map, as a guide when creating textures. it doesn't create or edit textures and it doesn't edit the UV maps.

When creating a new texture in an image editor you need to save it as an image file, then apply it to the surface(s) it is for in the Surface pane and adjust settings as needed, once done save as a Materials preset.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited May 2016

Unwrapping/recreating UV's or creating new materials is probabably out of scope for artists who only want to re-texture a figure.  However legeraging existing UV seams with island & layer optimization to improve model resolution might be helpful.  For instance by resizing UV islands and rearranging island orientation so that HD maps can be created from existing textues using tools like Photozoom might be something a Texture Tailor would benifit, especially when combined with DS Texture Atlas.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • cdpro_2831bbd990cdpro_2831bbd990 Posts: 1,430

None of the above - UV Tailor produces the templates showing which bits of the mesh take which bits of an image map, as a guide when creating textures. it doesn't create or edit textures and it doesn't edit the UV maps.

When creating a new texture in an image editor you need to save it as an image file, then apply it to the surface(s) it is for in the Surface pane and adjust settings as needed, once done save as a Materials preset.

So, it sounds like I don't really need UV tailor to make a new skin.  I just need to use an existing skin as a template and save it as a new skin name, then import the skin with the surfaces tab....then save as a material preset.

Correct me if I'm missing a step.

How do I create the new bump map to go with the new texture?  .