Kindred Arts - May Day Giveaway!

KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,229
edited May 2016 in Freebies

Well hello everyone, happy May day!

I'll try not to ramble, because I know you just want to see the goodies. If anyone here follows my project thread, you might have seen a campervan. Well after several weeks of work, it just wasn't coming out quite the way I wanted it to, I can't put my finger on the issue, but I can't justify charging for it if i'm not happy with it. To change the bit's I wanted to change would mean a massive overhaul of the mesh, or pretty much starting from scratch. The biggest issue is that I used a smoothing algorithm that produced n-gons without my immediate knowledge. I've put forth my best efforts to bring it back to quads, but there are still some visible smoothing issues - and due to mesh density, it's hard to pinpoint the problem.

Moaning aside though – the whole vehicle is rigged and uses morphs for certain doors and dials etc. It has custom painted mapping and UV templates for you to modify if you so wish (In the textures folder). The set comes with iray and 3DL materials, but the 3dl mats are quite basic and you may wish to spruce them up a bit if you are a 3DL connoisseur. The full objs are in the geometries folder as well, in-case you wish to tamper with it yourself.

Download

I sincerely hope someone can make use of it, I know it has issues but I couldn't bring myself to archive it.

As always, if you appreciate this freebie you could always be a pal and pick up something from my store HERE. There's always something on sale ;)

Note: This product has not been through daz QA testing, so if you do have an issue unpacking the files or an issue with the files themselves, post in this thread or message me directly.

Post edited by KindredArts on

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Hey, thanks KA! It looks rather nice to me. I'm not certain how serious the issues you mentioned are, but in the offchance I may be inclined to have a look, what software did you use to model/UV map it? That might not be critical but could offer some insight in case I try to mess around with it. In any event, thanks again. Time to go camping!

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,229
    SixDs said:

Hey, thanks KA! It looks rather nice to me. I'm not certain how serious the issues you mentioned are, but in the offchance I may be inclined to have a look, what software did you use to model/UV map it? That might not be critical but could offer some insight in case I try to mess around with it. In any event, thanks again. Time to go camping!

Hey six. The issues are pretty much contained to the body itself (it's modelled in max btw). If you look closely on the preview pics, you can spot a few areas near the doors, and on the bonnet that are dark or the shading appears misaligned. They are a bit hard to see, but they are there and what you see in max isn't always what you see in daz. I imagine it's something to do with normal direction, but because the body is quite dense, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Essentially if you do close up shots, there appears to be a few dents that aren't actually there.

It's my fault, if i stuck to more rigid topology/subdivision i wouldn't have run into problems - but as i said, i used ngon smoothing by mistake. It's not that much of an issue in most cases, especially if you use iray. If you need more specific information i'm sure i can oblige - i have been staring at it for weeks after all.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950

Thanks. Looks very good.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825

Thank you, I'd been looking forward to seeing this in the store so seeing it as a freebie is great.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Thank you so much for this excelent freebie KA!!!

• IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159

A professional movie maker said "oh that's bloody brilliant. Not perfect, but well done."

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820
    SixDs said:

Hey six. The issues are pretty much contained to the body itself (it's modelled in max btw). If you look closely on the preview pics, you can spot a few areas near the doors, and on the bonnet that are dark or the shading appears misaligned. They are a bit hard to see, but they are there and what you see in max isn't always what you see in daz. I imagine it's something to do with normal direction, but because the body is quite dense, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Essentially if you do close up shots, there appears to be a few dents that aren't actually there.

It's my fault, if i stuck to more rigid topology/subdivision i wouldn't have run into problems - but as i said, i used ngon smoothing by mistake. It's not that much of an issue in most cases, especially if you use iray. If you need more specific information i'm sure i can oblige - i have been staring at it for weeks after all.

Dents?  Cool!  In my opinion that just adds character and realism even if it weren't intentional!  

I am yet to see a real vehicle from this era that doesn't have it's share of "character enhancements."  wink

Thanks for an awesome gift!

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785

Very sharp!! Thanx!   laugh

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

OK, KA, I've been looking at the two renders you did and scratching my head and frowning. I can't for the life of me figure out how you did that. The van fits rather nicely into the background and foregrounds that in turn fit seamlessly into one another. The thing is, as far as I can tell, the BG and FG are photographs. I give up. How did you pull that off?

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,229
    SixDs said:

OK, KA, I've been looking at the two renders you did and scratching my head and frowning. I can't for the life of me figure out how you did that. The van fits rather nicely into the background and foregrounds that in turn fit seamlessly into one another. The thing is, as far as I can tell, the BG and FG are photographs. I give up. How did you pull that off?

Smoke and mirrors - I'm not sure how familiar you are with iray, but the van is simply sat inside a scaled down iray dome with the floor shadow catcher turned on. The hdri background/foreground is just a free panorma i found online and modified. It's a bit tricky to pull off from extreme camera angles or perspectives, but pretty great for showcasing non-the-less. If you're using 3dl you can pick up similar hdri's or uber domes but if i remember correctly, you have to do the shadow work in post. 

Thanks to everyone dropping in btw, glad there hasn't been any issues so far!

• Iczer1Iczer1 Posts: 14

Thank you for this free camper, its cool!   It is me, or does it look like Ironhide from G2 Transformers animation?  ;)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    If you're using 3dl you can pick up similar hdri's or uber domes but if i remember correctly, you have to do the shadow work in post. 

A much easier way than doing postwork for 3DL...

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://oso.tea-nifty.com/blog/2012/05/daz-studio-ao-v.html&sandbox=1

It's a shadowcatcher that does AO, too.  It does a very good job with hdri lighting.

aocatcher_4.jpg
    640 x 640 - 102K
  • XaatXuunXaatXuun Posts: 871

yes thank you

probably be using this one a lot wink

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

A very big thank you!  It looks great even if there might be a dent or two.  Personally, I like dented!  Well, unless it's my actual car then not so much! cheeky  The van looks great!

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

@KindredArts the download link doesn't work without permission given, I tried logging in to my google drive but no luck.