Editing an object

GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I delved into Hexagon to see if I could create a rope looking object for a project I'm doing in Bryce. Using an Interpolated Curve, and watching a tutorial on You Tube, I have the curve drawn and thickened. However, when I put it with my Bryce project it doesn't fit well and needed edited.

I need to know how, or if, an object created with the Interpolated Curve can be edited. I have no problem selecting the object, but can't seem to find the controls to edit it. And please, speak slowly. I'm going through a phase of CRS at the moment. :lol:

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

What sort of editing does it need? Unless you are working in full DG mode, once you have given a curve thickness and validated, the DG collapses and it no has a control curve. You would then edit it as any other form, by moving verts, etc.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Roygee, it needs to be reshaped. I've a tight curve at one end that has to be adjusted a bit, along with the section where the upward curve starts. Repositioning anything but the sections of the curve I want won't do me any good. It be too time consuming to move all the vertices, faces, and edges.

I never validated anything, nor do I know what DG stands for. You're writing to a Hexagon newbie.

edited December 1969

DG stands for Dynamic Geometry - basically a history of the construction of an object. By default, Hex runs in restricted DG mode - you can see where this is in my pic - after creating the shape, I can still change it by moving points on the yellow curve.

In this mode, once I hit "validate" or the enter key to confirm the shape, DG collapses and I can then only change the shape through normal modelling tools.

In full DG mode, I can go back to any point in the creation of the shape to change something. Full DG mode is not recommended or needed in normal modelling, but can come in handy at times. When you export an object, you need to be sure that DG is collapsed, otherwise it causes problems.

Back to your problem - I need to see the shape of the object to be able to help you choose the best method of altering it. Sounds like it would be easier to redo it. A simple way of doing this is to extract a curve - select an edge running the length of your shape, hit "loop", go to the menu bar lines->extract curve. Hide the original shape, alter the shape of the new curve to suit and give that thickness. If this works out, delete the original.

Don't forget to validate and be sure DG is collapsed before exporting:)

curve.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K
    edited December 1969

Roygee: I never saw anything in the DG window, once I figured out where to look. While I never clicked on the Validate button I did hit Enter, which you say is the same thing. So in that sense I did Validate the object.

I can't stay on long at this time, my DSL service is being moved, but here are two images of my shape. One side and one top view.

Rope_2_t_1.png
    1280 x 748 - 133K
    Rope_2_1_1.png
    1280 x 748 - 555K
    edited December 1969

Yes, I'd say that the method in my second post would work in this situation.

If you need to test whether this will fit what you are doing in Bryce, what you could do is enable full DG, do the new shape as explained without collapsing DG. Make a copy of of that, collapse the DG on the copy (hit the lightning bolt in the DG tray). Hide the original and export the copy. You can save the Hex file with DG active, so can come back and re-shape if needed.

edited December 1969

Roygee: Remember, you're talking to a Hexagon newbie. Foreign words can confuse newbies. :cheese:

I've seen the down arrow at the bottom of the DG window, which opens a drop down allowing three choices for the DG mode. Check.

At the top right of the same window there is an arrow and an 'X' button. The 'X' button is pretty clear, close, but the arrow can have two states. One which allows you to choose the DG mode and shows the history(?) and the other which allows you to Validate/Abort/Apply. Which I'm guessing is basically telling Hex you're done with that image; like hitting Return.

Forgive my terminology, but when the DG window is not collapsed, the DG mode choice is visible and history is written? And when you want to collapse the window you change it to the other state showing Validate/Abort/Apply?

I don't think I'll have any trouble duplicating an edge, it's something I've accomplished playing with Blender. But another question arises concerning thickening the line. I know the line can be repositioned as a line, but can it still be repositioned after thickening but before Validating?

One other small question. Where's the best place to look in order to learn how to use Hexagon? My thinking here leans towards tutorials.

If I have other questions, "I'll be back..." :lol:

edited December 1969

I do try and keep it simple; correct use of terminology is important so that we all talk the same language.

The arrow next to the cross is to collapse or expand the panel - it has no effect on what you do with DG - although, of course, it allows yuo to see what level of DG is active.

Validate/abort/apply is in the properties panel.

The curvy arrow on the left allows you to collapse DG without applying it and the lightning bolt collapses applies DG and collapses it.

In full DG mode you can continue to work on the curve and the shape follows suite, even after validating - in restricted DG mode, you need to validate the thickness before you can do anything else, which collapses DG and the curve goes with it, so you can't use a control curve to make changes.

As far as learning goes, your first point of reference should be the manual. You know the old saying,; "When all else fails, RTFM.":)

The manual is located in the docs folder with the Hexagon installation files. The videos don't work, but that's not a big issue.

About the best place to learn the tools basics is a great series by Tez at his CGDreams site. Also very good ones by E-Z. For specific projects, about the best is at Geekatplay. IIRC, the links are all in the tutorial links thread on this same page. If not, just Google them.

Then, of course, ask questions here - the only dumb questions are the ones not asked.;-)

edited December 1969

Yeah, correct terminology is important, if the listener/reader has like experiences. I've run into this many times throughout the years. Hard to explain your work to someone with no experience in that particular field. But anyway, on to another question.

I was able to copy an edge of the line, it just took a bit of time, but could not figure out how to move it around to reposition the cursed needing moved. I finally figured it had been created in DG restricted and could no longer be moved around by section so I started over. A few times.

Finally got the line I wanted, figured out a quad display helped in its creation and at one point was able to move the points around to adjust the curves. But only once. I hadn't validated it, or hit the return key, DG was set to full and Curve Control was listed in the DG window. But couldn't figure out how to adjust the curves again. All I did the first time was to select a point and move it. But it didn't work when I tried it at another time.

Any idea what might be going on? Does a certain mode have to be selected before this happens?

Oh, and manuals? Those things aren't written with a newbie sitting nearby asking the questions. You Tube has been a good friend in learning Bryce and Blender. I'll search it for Hexagon information. Thanks for the other site names.

edited December 1969

If only my ancient PC could handle camcording, I could show you a live session.

OK, in full DG mode, make your curve, give it thickness and validate. Select control curve in the DG panel, select a point or line sector on the yellow control curve and move it around - the shape follows. You can add extra control points if needed by selecting a curve sector and going lines-> tessellate.

hexcurve.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K
    edited December 1969

Roygee: Thank you for hanging in there with me. I'm slowly catching on. I emphasize ssslllooowwwlllyyy. :lol:

I followed your instruction and nothing happened. I selected the axis points where the control curve lines met but nothing moved when I held down the LB and drug my mouse. However...

I played around with things a bit and finally did get the thickened line repositioned, but there were a few more steps involved. I also rearranged the Scene/Material/DG/Properties windows and saw that Validate/Abort/Apply was indeed on the Properties window. How the other windows were positioned made it seem they were on the DG window. I'll have to read up on customizing the screen in the user's manual to get a better idea on how to arrange these windows better. I need a real good book on Hexagon, or Bryce, or Blender, etc. Always do need a book with these type programs.

Anyway, back to however.

What I discovered, thanks to you, is that before I can reposition a line segment by using points on the line, Select Points (F4) has to be selected. Once that's done then the corrector manipulator has to be chosen, at least that's what it seems has to happen. (BTW, in your example the XYZ movement tool(?) is displayed, but I can't seem to find how to display it while working to reposition the line.) Then I can reposition whichever segment I've chosen.

Next, to Line Tessellate, the Select Edges (F3) has to be chosen. Then I found I can go to Tools > Lines > Line Tessellate or, open the Lines tab at the top and chose the icon for Line Tessellate. Pretty sharp. When I click on Line Tessellate the control curve line will snap to the line, which then adds another point, which I can then move. Again, pretty sharp. I then have to switch back to Select Points (F4), have the correct manipulator tool selected, and then that segment can be moved.

I now see that I could have reshaped the first line I constructed, but because I was ignorant on what I've just described, redid it several times until I reached this point with your help. But this isn't the first program of this type where I found out later how easy it was to do something I fought with in the beginning.

And rest assured, I will have more questions. Thanks again for the help you've given.

edited December 1969

Happy to have helped - you will soon get the hang of it - Hex has a lot of very interesting tools and pretty easy to learn.

That manipulator tool i use is the Universal manipulator - good idea to get into the habit of using it exclusively. Apart from being a combination of all the other manipulators, it can be used to do fast extrude. it's the one that looks like Saturn.

edited December 1969

Roygee: I do use that tool, when it is used in the program, like Hex or Blender. And it was appearing while I was trying to create the thickened curve at first. But it's disappeared. The only thing I now see is a green dot which I take is the center of the object.

Can the screen icon for the tool be turned on and off? I know it can in Blender. I really would like to have it displayed.

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

Can the screen icon for the tool be turned on and off?

Another Roy here; Yes it can if you look to the right of the Universal Gizmo (as RoyGee described it like the planet Saturn with the XYZ listed underneath it ) on one of the top tool bars, To its right is a greyed out icon either click that or, easier still just tap your space bar. Both will toggle the gizmo on & off. :-)

Needless to say that the screen shots are back to front. :roll:

Universal_Gizmo_a.jpg
    1280 x 802 - 317K
    Uiversal_Gizmo_b.jpg
    1278 x 794 - 308K
    Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited December 1969

@Red Square Roy: Dang son, you're better than sliced bread. Space bar or the ghost figure at the top left and now you see it, now you don't. When you use the space bar the little ghost figure grays out. And turns white when you space bar again.

Much thanks, Roy(s).

edited September 2012

:) You're welcome.

Son! son! Nobody's called me son, for over sixty years, I'm nearly 73 :lol: :lol:

Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited December 1969

@Red Square Roy: Just trying to make sure you stay young at heart. ;-)

edited December 1969

:-P ;-P %-P :P :zip: :coolcheese: :lol: