Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Renomista said:

Someone Owns the Laguna: Underwater Lights for Iray Currently in Fast Grab ?

Promos and text are not so "enlightening" (hihi) and 7,50 is to much to buy it in the dark (hihi again)

I put it in my cart and it was $4.50.  I bought it but I just got home half an hour ago (its 9:30 here already lol) and its just downoading now.  won't really have time to play with it until tomorrow at the soonest. Will try to post asap

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    Novica said:

(I know, you're wondering how I knew about Migaloo. I own several of those.)

Can I come visit? Pretty please?

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited April 2016

I was going through my content library tonight and discovered I bought lights in February but haven't tried them out: RDNA's Ultra Genesis Studio Lights Vol 1 - Iray Box Lights. I didn't find a review of them (I may have just missed it) so I'll just post two quick renders. The set comes with three cameras, a glass floor prop (which I use in the image), 15 box light rigs, and 39 environments (which are various color and intensity render settings). Quick to apply and render. I liked how the glass floor gives a lower intensity reflection and fades almost seamlessly into the background. First image uses Environment 004 Bright and the second uses 006 Dark. 

Edit: I noticed after posting there's some banding in the background, especially for the brown. Not sure I like that.

Ultra G Studio Box Lights 4B.jpg
    600 x 600 - 107K
    Ultra G Studio Box Lights 6D.jpg
    600 x 600 - 98K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    edited April 2016
    Novica said:

Those lights would go well with Faveral's upcoming product (see commercial thread.) BTW, Migaloo has a yacht you should see, it reminded me of the upcoming product. (I know, you're wondering how I knew about Migaloo. I own several of those.)

(Yeah, right.) 

I actually bought it. through some combo discount i got it for 4,48 just as Sonja wrote above

Post edited by Renomista on

Hmm... DAZ Steve mentioned two new males will be called Ivan annd Lucian. I am intrigued.

More important he clearly stated that there are going to be no male teen characters from DAZ for G3M.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    Renomista said:

Hmm... DAZ Steve mentioned two new males will be called Ivan annd Lucian. I am intrigued.

More important he clearly stated that there are going to be no male teen characters from DAZ for G3M.

I'm actually not a fan of DAZ teens, so not having anymore doesn't really impact me too much since I rarely render children, and morphs are sufficient for my needs. I think I will appreciate the new menfolk though.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

(I know, you're wondering how I knew about Migaloo. I own several of those.)

Can I come visit? Pretty please?

Sure, I'll send one to start putzing your way. At 8mph, depending on where you live (well, not really) it may take awhile. 

Can you imagine any idiot paying millions of dollars for that, who can't move it out of the way for a hurricane? 

RGcincy said:

I was going through my content library tonight and discovered I bought lights in February but haven't tried them out: RDNA's Ultra Genesis Studio Lights Vol 1 - Iray Box Lights.

Edit: I noticed after posting there's some banding in the background, especially for the brown. Not sure I like that.

I love the floor though!  I have those and haven't tried them yet, thanks for the look! 

edited April 2016

Omgosh, too cute! I called Zoo Atlanta to see how far they go outside of Atlanta for bamboo (only 60 miles) but noticed their camera- the live Panda Cam. The panda is active right now, take a peek! (the twins are wrestling!!!!)

Post edited by Novica on

they seem to be sleeping now but I have it up and will be checking in on them

I actually took my iphone and recorded my monitor screen- one grabbed the other one by the neck and they somersaulted head over heels onto the hammock! Around 9am-11am (Central time) is when they were definitely out and active, it's when they are first out for the day. 

http://www.daz3d.com/light-probe-tool  says free but isn't. They're looking into it. So that may disappear off the qualifying for a 4th item group.

Just noticed the  Priya update is in DIM (with the tweaked hand materials.) 

Heads up to the people in the U.S. plains, midsection, and part of the South- they're saying now there may be a mega tornado outbreak, many indicators coming together. Weather.com just put out a new article, be sure and read it. Thurs-next weekend could be some heavy-duty tornado weather. 

edited April 2016

1stBastion's Atrium     P3D Fukiko      Business Suit (G3F)

When you use the Business Suit, be sure and load the shirt first, then you have to change the jacket's default parenting from your character, to the shirt. Otherwise you may get really bad pokethrough.

I did not remove anything from the scene, am seeing how long it takes to render. IN PROGRESS. Looks like it will be hours. 

7:35am Central- the pandas are eating bamboo! 

47 minutes: 9%

1 hour 45 minutes  52%

2 hours  61%

2 hours 45 minutes 83%

3 hours 92%

Huge render. Click to enlarge, click again. I would be interested in how other folks are lighting this, I found it difficult to light anyone near the front without having washout on the raised planter. I darkened that light post to a gray so it wouldn't wash out, and the figure is still pretty dark. 

atriumSig.jpg
    1700 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2016

Does anyone Have Jepe's body jewels?  I have wishlised both sets, I think the possibilities are endless with these for fantasy and sci fi renders.  I know they are for Genesis and the V4 and m4 but I use those a lot still.  Wonder how well they translate to Gen 2.... I do hope everyone in those areas stays safe.  The weather is such a scary thing and so powerful...

I am going to be out and about most of the day but hope to sit down and work on some stuff later tonight.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    Novica said:

When you use the Business Suit, be sure and load the shirt first, then you have to change the jacket's default parenting from your character, to the shirt. Otherwise you may get really bad pokethrough.

I did not remove anything from the scene, am seeing how long it takes to render. IN PROGRESS. Looks like it will be hours. 

1 hour 45 minutes  52%

2 hours  61%

2 hours 45 minutes 83%

3 hours 92%

Huge render. Click to enlarge, click again. I would be interested in how other folks are lighting this, I found it difficult to light anyone near the front without having washout on the raised planter. I darkened that light post to a gray so it wouldn't wash out, and the figure is still pretty dark. 

Looks good. I wishlisted it since i did not need it urgently enough to break my  "never below 50% rebate" rule

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Novica

Going by the shadow all the light is coming from the rear of the model so the front of your character will be in shade.

Fishtales said:

Novica

Going by the shadow all the light is coming from the rear of the model so the front of your character will be in shade.

It's got a huge skylight in the middle of the ceiling, and a couple of emissive lights on the ceiling. I first tried rotating the Y orientation of the dome, 230-260 works well for me from the front, but that didn't do much.The building is large and you might think you're close to the front of it, but there's more room than it looks. I tried so many things (and am really tired at this point) that I'm trying to remember what I tried.  Anyway, I switched to sun and sky and made Camera 6 my sun, and shone it from the front. It really washed out the details because I'm using Fukiko and she's dark (I tweaked in Surfaces to lighten her up though.)  I'll have to try again sometime- will be interested to see what others use. I also tried the Apocalyptic lights and those were dark (I increased the Environment Intensity, the Tone Mapping settings, etc.) Just one of those days. 

edited April 2016

This is the paint product using that 230 Y orientation setup. The light comes from the front. So the atrium has a lot of building between my character and the front, I think.

Love the texturing of the throws.

paint 90percent.jpg
    1700 x 1800 - 3M
    Post edited by Novica on

Fishtales- I just checked, there is a LOT of space between the front of the building and where the characters are if they are on the stairs. IIRC, when I cranked up the intensity of the light that was at Y dome orientation 230 degrees, it washed out stone detail but my character was still dark. I'll just have to tinker with it. Right now, going to go get some sleep. Be interesting to see what others do with it. (I also increased the lumens of the skylites.) 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Try turning her around and putting the camera on the other side so the view is down the stairs and see if that lightens her up a bit.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I confess it seems odd to me that they are painting over wallpaper?

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,321
    Novica said:

1 hour 45 minutes  52%

2 hours  61%

2 hours 45 minutes 83%

3 hours 92%

You could probably hide or remove the front glass wall from the scene,  no point in it calculating the light  that would shine through the glass,  if you don't see the glass wall in the render. Glass reflections and metal reflections will always add calculations to render times.    As for light a character, movie lighting generally adds a spotlight just outside of frame pointed at the figure.  There's also a separate emitter available inside the light post's light  that can be textured to emit light. 

I confess it seems odd to me that they are painting over wallpaper?

It can be done (My husband paints for a living). it preferable to take it off but sometimes its almost impossible to get off depending on how the wall was prepperd originally, how long its been on and what kind of environement its been in (humidity is a killer as is cigarette smoke). sometimes, it almost becomes part of the wall. They have stuff to prep a wallpapered wall for painting but its always a crap shoot because it can bubble up if its not done just right.  My husband hates wallpaper lol.

haha the panda is laying face down on the log with all four legs just hanging down...

Hey FirstBastion- 

Yeah, I will definitely take out that wall. Where the figure loaded in, (which is a bit further back) I didn't even realize there WAS a front wall until after I rendered it. Your set is huge and totally delightful! I was extremely tired when doing all this (wee hours of the morning) and didn't even think to look for a front wall (nor did I look at the promo thumbnails, I knew it was an instant buy!)   GREAT STUFF!

Fishtales- thanks! I will try that, plus FirstBastion's suggestion. Working on my book tonight and this weekend, but I'll try to fit in an experiment.

Sonja- this morning the panda did a forward roll from that log closest to the camera, onto the hammock. He was like, "Wheeeeeee!" If you get a chance, read the keeper's blog. The pandas get vaccinations (and let the zookeepers do it!) and it's an interesting read. They post often.

edited April 2016

See my post here which shows screenshots. The discounts off the DO products isn't right. It's nothing new for it to take awhile for the sales to be fixed, but my basic question is, it's supposed to give you $x amount off the DO price of what? The original price? The price that is 30% discounted? Because neither one is what the cart is doing. If it's off the original price, you're getting more off than you should. (mine was $10.90 over and it only charge me $7.78 difference.)  If it's the already discounted price (which it should be, or else you aren't really getting that money off! It's not off if it isn't being charged in the first place) then the cart is overcharging us.

EDIT: It's working. I clicked to put the bundle in the cart but I did the product next to it, which wasn't a new release in that particular group. User error! 

I did get the castle, it's something I can use for my book in the near future. It's pricey but for the amount of work that went into it and the huge set, it's a very decent price. Got the shaders (both of them.)  

Post edited by Novica on

BTW, if anyone needs to use the DIM for a lot of downloads, it is REALLY zipping along right now.  2.8 MB on average!

I was drooling over that castle.  Can't justify it right now but its in my wishlist for sure.  It looks stunning

This discussion has been closed.