Tattoo across texture seam?

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

OK, so I have a Genesis skin loaded into photoshop and I want to create a tattoo across the upper back of the texture, but the seam splits down the center of the back. Is there some technique that I don't know about to accurately split something like that?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

What I've done, in the past is to make a series of 'registration' marks on a new layer, with a transparent background, over the skin texture image and temporarily merge the layers (saving it under a temporary name). Then apply that texture to the model. to see where the marks fall. Then split the overlay image (tattoo) and align it to those marks (again, a separate layer)...repeat the merge and test again. When satisfied, I discard the registration layer and merge the overlay, saving it under a different file name something like 'orginal_skin_tat.jpg' (did this for a number of Morrowind skin textures...never did release that mod pack...)

Is that the easiest way?

Probably not, but with a bit of fiddling with placement, it works.

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,475
    edited September 2012

Investing in a projection painter will do the trick. There are lots of them out there, ranging in price from affordable to ghastly lol
    A few: Bodypaint (part of cinema 4D), 3D Coat, and ZBrush. Some modellers have painters too (but it will differ between packages)

Post edited by IgnisSerpentus on
  • MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

If you are going across the back, you must split design in half and and mirror it.
    Then you can fine tune with registering

tat.jpg
    541 x 523 - 26K