Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2016

I did go back and post that was version 4.8, and 4.9 may show her differently. It won't change that back of the hand mapping (hope I'm using the right word.) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2016

I'll load her up in 4.9, same duf (same lighting) and we'll see what she does. Rendering now. Skin MUCH better. Back of hand, still not happy with it. The entire thumb is whitish, not just the palm side.

Priya4.9.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 298K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I just took out the quote completely that way there won't be any confusion.  That's a huge a difference.  I had no idea that the difference could be that great. 

edited April 2016

I just took out the quote completely that way there won't be any confusion.  That's a huge a difference.  I had no idea that the difference could be that great. 

I haven't run into this problem with any of the hundreds of characters I've owned (and tested my fair share, obviously), and I have a lot of the recent ones, but I'm still going to have to remember to test in 4.9 if I get a  fail like that. The product pages are no help, they all say version 4.9 now, so it's not helpful so far as picking out which ones fail miserably in 4.8.

I went back and put in red to see the 4.9 versions so it's clear there is a big difference. However, 4.8 users should also know this isn't a product for them unless they do a lot of tweaking, and even then, for both versions, I'm not sure about doing closeups of the hands depending on the pose, because those white thumbs and a good part of the backside of the hand may seem wrong. (I'm doing some renders now to test from different views.)   Otherwise, her skin in 4.9 is a refreshing change from the lighter ones.

Okay, these are all 4.9, views of the hand. (Edit: The hand materials have been tweaked by Saiyaness and will be available probably next week.) 

This one blends fairly well.

Dramatic lighting did seem to emphasize that area. I'll turn her around though and use the same lighting.

Whereas from this light (same one, just rotated the figure) the hands don't have quite as much stark contrast.

So, hope this helps.

Priya4.9 B.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 486K
    Priya4.9 d.jpg
    900 x 800 - 376K
    Priya4.9 e.jpg
    900 x 800 - 328K
    Priya4.9 f.jpg
    900 x 800 - 379K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

The difference is immenes also with the bluish skin in 4.9 with 4.8 optimized characters. But it is easy to fix both ways.

But to be honest I have so far nio heard a valid reason why not to upgrade to 4.9. 

Renomista said:

But to be honest I have so far nio heard a valid reason why not to upgrade to 4.9. 

I used 4.9 for almost TWO WEEKS then it suddenly, without any reason, mangled all my custom categories. I don't trust it. There's been beta versions since then, but a beta after a beta- when do you trust something when you have hundreds of hours of studio setup invested?  So my solution is to setup the categories in 4.8 and render in both 4.8 and 4.9, depending on what it is. I don't use Connect so that entire encrypted/not doesn't impact my decision, it's all about customizing my studio and KNOWING it won't go poof. Never had a problem with 4.8.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606
    edited April 2016

I always work in all the betas, I enjoy helping Daz3d find errors and help them fix things.  I really haven't had any problems with content. One thing I need to admit is that I don't really use smart content.  I'm stuck in content library mode after years of poser and daz studio... I've gotten a little stuck in my library ways!

I threw this together with Priya (since that is the current model under discussion). I used Colm's Render Studio for lighting and background (and I didn't even tweak it!!!)  I think she came out pretty nicely.

I hope you like her...

Post edited by Lyoness on
  • SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715

Novica, regarding Priya, thanks a lot for spotting that hand issue. It does look oddly white in your renders. I've fixed it and will upload the fix to Daz but it may take a little while for the product to update since we have the weekend coming up. I have been advised to mention in my products that they are 4.9 optimized, which basically means the SSS reflectance tint is yellowy-pink instead of pale blue. :) Might save some confusion in the future. :) 

I'm happy to post in your thread when it's updated. For now, I've attached some before and after shots of my fix. 

The first is in plain ol' Sun and Sky with a dome and there's no huge difference. 

The single render is HDR only with dome, the same I used for the promos (minus the rim lights) and the fix is more obvious with this lighting. 

Hope this helps. 

PriyaHandSunSkyBeforeandAfter.jpg
    482 x 620 - 155K
    PriyaHandAfterHDR.jpg
    425 x 395 - 77K

Hi Saiyaness- I wanted to be very honest that it was all on me for not initially testing it in 4.9, as it's well known the Gen3 renders differently than in 4.8. It was totally my fault for forgetting I was in 4.8, I switch back and forth between the two versions. The hands really looked different depending on the lighting so I wanted to post the ones where there wasn't the contrast too. Agree, the different lighting can really change a character, was hoping other folks would post so I would know if it was me or not.  Would LOVE to have more renders of her, anytime!  I really like her warm skin tones (in 4.9) as they're very rich.

Lyoness, thanks for sharing, those skin tones look like what I was getting when I finally wised up and used 4.9. Appreciate it!

I went back and edited my original post too so it was made abundantly clear it was a 4.8 render and the hand materials have been tweaked. BTW, thank you to the vendor for doing that, very considerate.

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    Saiyaness said:

Novica, regarding Priya, thanks a lot for spotting that hand issue. It does look oddly white in your renders. I've fixed it and will upload the fix to Daz but it may take a little while for the product to update since we have the weekend coming up. I have been advised to mention in my products that they are 4.9 optimized, which basically means the SSS reflectance tint is yellowy-pink instead of pale blue. :) Might save some confusion in the future. :) 

I'm happy to post in your thread when it's updated. For now, I've attached some before and after shots of my fix. 

The first is in plain ol' Sun and Sky with a dome and there's no huge difference. 

The single render is HDR only with dome, the same I used for the promos (minus the rim lights) and the fix is more obvious with this lighting. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks Saiyaness for the Update!

Priya is on of my favourite Characters ATM, even thought a not so close second after my curent favourite George ;-)

Novica said:
    Renomista said:

I used 4.9 for almost TWO WEEKS then it suddenly, without any reason, mangled all my custom categories. I don't trust it. There's been beta versions since then, but a beta after a beta- when do you trust something when you have hundreds of hours of studio setup invested?  So my solution is to setup the categories in 4.8 and render in both 4.8 and 4.9, depending on what it is. I don't use Connect so that entire encrypted/not doesn't impact my decision, it's all about customizing my studio and KNOWING it won't go poof. Never had a problem with 4.8.

So far the categories seem to be holding in 4.9.  Of course I JUST got done redoing all of them for my Daz content and am slowly adding content purchased at other places as well as freebies.  So far so good. Will let you know if any problems crop up in the future.  If I have to do it again I am not sure what I would do.  A little over 3 or 4 weeks worth of work.  Don't remember exactly as it all runs together lol.  Every night for two or three hours after work and more than that on the weekends.  I don't blame you for not chancing it!

So far the categories seem to be holding in 4.9.  Of course I JUST got done redoing all of them for my Daz content and am slowly adding content purchased at other places as well as freebies.  So far so good. Will let you know if any problems crop up in the future.  If I have to do it again I am not sure what I would do.  A little over 3 or 4 weeks worth of work.  Don't remember exactly as it all runs together lol.   I don't blame you for not chancing it!

If you have 4.8 installed, I think you can make your categories there and they will show up in 4.9. Then render in 4.9. (It's been a few weeks since I worked on categories, but I believe this is true.) That way, there's no risk of losing your categories from a misbehaving 4.9 version. 

Kerya said:

Thank you Kerya, I will go over that when I get a chance. Appreciate you posting it!

edited April 2016
    Novica said:

So far the categories seem to be holding in 4.9.  Of course I JUST got done redoing all of them for my Daz content and am slowly adding content purchased at other places as well as freebies.  So far so good. Will let you know if any problems crop up in the future.  If I have to do it again I am not sure what I would do.  A little over 3 or 4 weeks worth of work.  Don't remember exactly as it all runs together lol.   I don't blame you for not chancing it!

If you have 4.8 installed, I think you can make your categories there and they will show up in 4.9. Then render in 4.9. (It's been a few weeks since I worked on categories, but I believe this is true.) That way, there's no risk of losing your categories from a misbehaving 4.9 version. 

I have 4.8 on my laptop at the moment.  I haven't quite figured out how to re install the 4.8 version I have backed up on a flash drive.  I don't know what files go where and I am afraid to touch anything lol. Even with the directions you gave me. I will have to go back and read them again a couple of times and maybe have them up on the laptop so I can see each step without having to switch back and forth between pages.  I have this terrible tendency to look at the directions, go to do it and promplty forget what I was just supposed to do.

And thanks for the link for Harry.  He is a beautiful horse but the mane drove me so nuts I haven't really tried him again since I first got him.  And he has some beautiful coats too.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

I have 4.8 on my laptop at the moment.  I haven't quite figured out how to re install the 4.8 version I have backed up on a flash drive.  I don't know what files go where and I am afraid to touch anything lol. Even with the directions you gave me. I will have to go back and read them again a couple of times and maybe have them up on the laptop so I can see each step without having to switch back and forth between pages.  I have this terrible tendency to look at the directions, go to do it and promplty forget what I was just supposed to do.

Here's a few screenshots- I think it's easier when you can see where files go, instead of people telling you. Would someone else who has 4.8 installed see if I've missed anything, as you all know I am NOT a technical person. I have a question-  on the PostgreSQL  CMS, that's for 4.8 or is it 4.8 and 4.9? Anyway, I've shown where mine is at. I don't think I have anything of 4.9 mixed in there, and I think this is all. 

So the first shot shows the C>Program Files>DAZ 3D (note there is a space)>DAZStudio4.8  (Don't know if I renamed it or not, but shows you the files)

Second shot is C>Program Files (X86)>DAZ 3D (Note there is a  space)>DAZ3DIM1   (Again, I don't know if I renamed that or not.)  So that's my DIM.

Third shot is in D>DAZ 4.8 Studio  BUT it's wherever you want to put the 4.8 version, so I put a C/D there. 

4.8install.jpg
    339 x 1065 - 830K
    4.8install2.jpg
    266 x 260 - 634K
    4.8install3.jpg
    434 x 711 - 762K

FYI, if you're getting the extra 20% discount for using Connect, (even if you're not, this is a featured store) then note this furniture is an "old" product so it gets the discount, and it's the same as in the vendor's new product which is the living room. The difference is the furniture isn't Iray but you can just apply shaders. Pick it up for $3.80 if you get that extra 20%. 

THANK YOU!  That will most definitely help.  Will set aside a couple of hours as soon as I can to put this together

Also, consider Anita from the featured stores, you can use these dirt materials on your Genesis 2 Females. Rather fun!

edited April 2016

Has anyone recently had any trouble loading shaders, mats or morphs?  Mine all of a sudden have started to a. either not work at all. or b. only work if I drag and drop or click on merge with scene.  Just loaded Genesis, tried to applyl a head and body and her base mat and nothing happens.  No matter what I do.  I'm really a bit afraid that uploading that stupid update that was forced on me is the problem since I just loaded that yesterday.  and everything was fine yesterday. I have no idea what to do to fix this.  Studio would be basically worthless if one can't apply anything morphs or shaders. And there is no way in **** I am going to re install again.  Just not happening.

edited April 2016

Has anyone recently had any trouble loading shaders, mats or morphs?  Mine all of a sudden have started to a. either not work at all. or b. only work if I drag and drop or click on merge with scene.  Just loaded Genesis, tried to applyl a head and body and her base mat and nothing happens.  No matter what I do.  I'm really a bit afraid that uploading that stupid update that was forced on me is the problem since I just loaded that yesterday.  and everything was fine yesterday. I have no idea what to do to fix this.  Studio would be basically worthless if one can't apply anything morphs or shaders. And there is no way in **** I am going to re install again.  Just not happening.

What update?  And you are talking 4.9?

Post edited by Novica on

Sonja, I'm doing downloads with DIM (crawling as usual, ever since they switched servers/hosts/ whatever- so it may be awhile) but tell us exactly what you are using and I'm sure someone will be happy to test it for you. If helps if we are re-creating the exact same scenario.

edited April 2016

No the Dim update.  Its the only thing I have done recently. I shut it down and restarted it and some of it seems to be back.  Am going to go to bed and re start the whole computer tomorrow its too late to mess with it tonight.  Am going to see if I have the same problem in 4.8 as well or not. But  a DIM update shouldn't mess with what's already installed.  I hope...

No the Dim update.  Its the only thing I have done recently. I shut it down and restarted it and some of it seems to be back.  Am going to go to bed and re start the whole computer tomorrow its too late to mess with it tonight.  Am going to see if I have the same problem in 4.8 as well or not. But  a DIM update shouldn't mess with what's already installed.  I hope...

Remember, I had problems with it and apparently Windows 10 had blocked / messed with it- the firewall. So check your virus protection and make sure the DIM /Daz is an approved thing. TTY Tomorrow. Don't worry about it, it will get sorted out. smiley

Okay we posted at the same time.  My genesis figure.   will take victoria 5 and one or two other shapes but nothing else.  I tried Neomi and her body applies but her face does not and none of her mats will work. Nikki does not work but Satsuki does.  Gen 2 Female seems to be okay so far.  Half of my shaders won't double click to applly only merge into scene or drag and drop, even though I have been double clicking for the last 7 months.  JGreenlees ground shaders in three delight and gem shaders 1 by handspan studios.  Handspan studios causes Studio to crash if I double click.  Both ask me if I want to save the scene before exiting and no matter which I pick yes or no, it loads the new scene but does not apply the shaders. Or, I get an error message that no files are found even though I can drag and drop them or merge them into the scene so they are obviously there.  And I followed the rabbit trail and all folders are exactly where they should be.  Updated the meta data as well which didn't help either.

Ya going to bed have to get up early for church.  A friends daugher is getting baptized at the early service.  I have Avira and WIN 7 I will check that as well tomorrow.  Thanks!

edited April 2016

Here's a few of the items I picked up (I did get the extra 20%, and bought two things from each promotion to trigger the extra discounts.) 

i13 Sweet Set  (a few fun props.) 

Prismatic Iray Sets  (look at the backgrounds and the setup- really cool)

Furniture Set 1 Classic    That chair is awesome. Remember me saying the Dean's office chair/desk wasn't quite executive enough IMO? THIS is an executive chair.

Emulated FishEye Lens   FirstBastion scores!  You can have SO much fun with this. You can show a robot's view, someone looking through a door peep hole view, etc. And just fun!

i13 50 Essential Sport Poses

Infinity Cove     Tweak it- you have the backgrounds and the terrain. Shader it, add plants (we all loaded up on Travelers) and create your own world.

FWSA Finley    But I hope that blush comes off in the no makeup option?

Rhio Hair     (Gen 3  Gen2)  Refreshing. Can be with simple outfits or sophisticated.

Chroma Iray Lights   For the soft, subtle looks. Will be trying these on the portraits for the thread.

So what are you folks buying? 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2016

A gal I'm just now fiddlin' with is Dahlia (Gen3F)  and you REALLY should give her a look. Although she is shown as a dark, foreboding character, there IS A NO MAKEUP and also in Parameters, you can shorten those eyelashes, hide a layer or two of eyelashes, and you will have a very clean cut woman who looks nothing like the promos. Which of course, means you then get clean cut AND dark, moody, and a vampire. I'll be posting her later, she's rendering now but I am still tweaking. 

Here she is. How about that for a difference from the promo? No makeup, shorter eyelashes, less curl, hide a layer of eyelashes, and vroooom!  Take her home to meet the parents!

dahlia2.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 731K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

HoboBo at Sharecg has a LOT of free IC3 textures! http://www.sharecg.com/b/11/Poser/?keywords=ic3&member_type[All]=on&attribute[2449][-1]=1&attribute[2577][-1]=1&attribute[2439][-1]=1&tdm=a&s=dd

Winter with Moo
    Credits:
    Moo - CorporateArts
    Miki 2.0 - SmithMicro
    Shizuko (texture) - Cyllan (my morphs)
    Sarah Hair - Littlefox & Capsces
    Get Real for Sarah - Chrislenn
    Wildenlander V3 - Luthbel (Wardrobe Wizard2)
    Creepy Trees - Lisa Buckalew
    Rope - Mochi
    Rope09 texture - HoboBo
    Infinity Cove 3.0 - Colm
    IC3 Winter05 - HoboBo

moowinter15x.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 416K
This discussion has been closed.