Characters in period costumes

kerrychiverskerrychivers Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I am working on my seriously complex historic recreations.
Just wondering if Daz can help with period clothing from the
19th Century.
I need everything from vest to bonnets, and top hats to boots.
I am not familiar enough with Daz to understand if this program
can help.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Not wishing to blow my own trumpet, but if yougo to my site, {click on the link for Chohole's Space in my signature bar) You will find that on page 14 there are shown quite a few outfits, which are mostly available in the shop here. Also on Page 5 there are some fancier ones, which we have classified as "Crinolines" Page 1 has some free female items from Jan 19, which I have textures available for.

You will also find outfits on page 8 which work, and also some textures on the MFD page, page 7 and the PoTS page, page 2, which turn these dresses into historical outfits.

Most of the outfits shown do tell you where they are available

• kerrychiverskerrychivers Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi, not sure where this reply will appear
    This site looks great - I will bookmark it.
    I am not familiar with Daz - only AutoCAD and a bit of 3ds.
    What is involved in
    1 - getting model with costume
    2 - creating new models and costumes?

I am looking to doing period stuff 1850 - 1935.

edited December 1969

OK, some one else will have to come along and get you started with Daz Studio, as I actually don't use it.

But the main workflow, whether using DS4 or Poser would be

Bring a human figure into your work screen

Add the clothing, conforming or fitting it to the figure

Adding textures to the clothing

Also of course you will need to add hair to the figures.

So you do need to download some clothing models and some hair models, as well as possibly some more charcter sets for whichever human figure model you choose.

There is a list of free hair related stuff here

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/447/

It's always better to start experimenting with freebies, much cheaper than purchasing stuff, until such time as you have mastered the app.

edited December 1969

Thank you.
    What program do YOU use?
    I am involved in recreating entire townships in CAD, and the thought of learning yet another program wearies me. I would prefer to buy these costumed figures, rather than start on another learning curve.

edited December 1969

I use Poser. The workflow is similar to DS.

edited December 1969

Not sure if this question went through...
    how much would it cost me for someone to do the whole model - character and costume - so that I can import it straight into 3ds?

edited December 1969

No can do, not with Daz Figures. That would be totally against the EULA

edited December 1969

Wots EULA ?????

edited June 2012

The End User License Agreement that you click to agree to when you purchase any of Daz3D software or content. and install it.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Wha... does this mean that no-one on DS can help with this problem?

edited December 1969

Basically yes. THe Eula can be found here

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/123940 This one is for the gaming community, but includes all the relevant information. THe important part is this

4. RESTRICTIONS ON COPYING. The 3-D Model(s) is provided for User's
    exclusive use. User does not have the right to provide the 3-D Model(s) to
    others in any form or on any media except as set forth in this License
    Agreement. The 3-D Model(s) may be copied in whole
    or in part for User’s exclusive use. Specifically, you (the User) may copy the
    3-D Model(s) onto the storage device of an unlimited number of computers;
    provided that all such computers are physically located at your business or,
    if you are an individual, your place of residence located at a single specific
    street address (or its equivalent). Unauthorized copying of the 3-D Model(s)
    is expressly forbidden. User expressly agrees to include DAZ's (and any third
    party’s, if any) copyright notice(s) and proprietary interest(s) on all copies of
    the 3-D Model(s), in whole or in part, in any form, including data form, made
    by User in accordance with this Agreement.
    edited December 1969

Sigh... I am going to bed, it's 1.30 am
    So if I have complex engineering and architectural scenes derived through other programs, how can I get photorealistic models and costumes into my 3ds scenery?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi kerrychivers

It's less of a question of How much it would cost , rather than,.. is there someone with 3D-Max, Daz Studio, or Poser, and the clothing who also has the free time to do this for you.

The next part is a legal issue of the "licence to use the products",
    Unless you buy the Models (clothing is also a model) then you don't have a Licence to use them. in any software, and so, someone else can't put it together and send it to you.

Poser Pro (if I remember correctly) Has a Link to 3D Max, which means that you can create a scene in poser pro with the 3D human model, and it's clothing ,.. then send it to 3D Max to render.
    Poser also comes with a Bunch on models and clothing,. and 99% of the Daz3d models and clothing sold in the store here will load into poser.

Daz Studio comes with the new Genesis figure, which is different from previous figures, like Victoria 4 and Michael 4. (which will both work in Poser.
    Victoria 4 and Michael 4, are also supplied is OBJ format which can be loaded into 3D Max, although, you would then need to load in and adjust all of the texture maps for the figures to make them look better in 3D Max.
    You'd also need to rig that 3D model with a Max "Biped" and skin it to work correctly,..

One main advantage of Daz Studio that you'd loose by importing and re-rigging the figure in 3D-Max, is the ability to have the clothing automatically conform (Fit to) the figure, and move along with it.

Daz Studio allows you to load the Model , Add the clothing (fit it to the figure), add hair, easily change the skin textures, clothing textures, or hair textures, and then animate it using simple to use tools, or pre-built (customisable) Motion capture animations.

A lot of the work you need to do, depends on what you actually want to do,. if it's a still render, then that could be done in Daz Studio.
    If it's an animation you can also do that, and render it out with a transparent background, then composite that into a 3D Max Background.

My advice is to download the Daz Studio 4 software, while it's still available for free,.
    then play with it,. see what it does, and see if it's possible to do what you want to do without having to jump through a load of Hoops to get it into 3D Max.

There's also Daz Carrara, which is similar in many ways to 3D Max, It's a Full 3D modelling texturing animation and rendering program, but it can use Daz3D and Poser Models in the same way as Daz Studio or Poser do. you may want to have a look at that too.
    there's a 30 day (Full PRO version) available on www.Download.com

Hope it helps.

edited December 1969

So if I have complex engineering and architectural scenes derived through other programs, how can I get photorealistic models and costumes into my 3ds scenery?

Normally you would render or film the footage you need, and composite the 3D elements together in a Video editor.

edited June 2012

Please note in addition to What 3DAGE said here

Unless you buy the Models (clothing is also a model) then you don’t have a Licence to use them. in any software, and so, someone else can’t put it together and send it to you.

That even if you do own the requisite models, it is still not permissable for someone else to put a figure together and send it to you. as stated here

Specifically, you (the User) may copy the 3-D Model(s) onto the storage device of an unlimited number of computers; provided that all such computers are physically located at your business or, if you are an individual, your place of residence located at a single specific street address (or its equivalent)

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

There is is a not system in testing that is part of the release client of DAZ Studio 4.5. that may help you with what you are have doing. It a scene transfer file format called DSON. this will just mean that the person setting up the figures will need to have the same figures and outfits as you and can then just send you the scene file for you to export vie the FBX exporter.

I don't know how viable this solution as as I have not played around with the release client as I have to keep the production version of DAZ Studio on my system.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Firstly, a couple of links for you that would help locate resources for historical renders.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=159885&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://3dhistoricalcloset.wikia.com/wiki/3D_Historical_Closet_Wiki

Secondly, if you are serious about wanting to set up figures in period costume, posed and ready to export you will need to learn at least the basics of of shaping and posing in DS.

I would assume that you have DS4 as you are just beginning.

This means you have the Genesis Figure already in the scene when you open DS4.

First step: putting some clothes on the figure.

Have you bought any clothing at this point or do you only have the content that comes with DS4?

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

i'm wondering if the OP was more thinking about whether someone could model these particular items for her? Rather than someone putting a scene together and sending it to her?

Were you wanting to commission the artwork or were you wanting to put it all together yourself and render it yourself in DAZStudio to create the art? Or did you want someone to model the particular outfits for you to use in DAZStudio yourself?

edited December 1969

I am more confused than ever:
    I have the scene, I just need people in it...
    but don't want to learn a new program if I can help it...
    all I want to do is buy the figures and period costumes...

Scene is largely created in AutoCAD
    Modified in 3ds Max.

Special thanks to those who replied, particularly Chohole and 3dage.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited June 2012

Modified in 3ds Max.

Sorry if we confused you...: (

You can create the figures you want using DS4 but you would probably need to learn some basics to be able to set them up and export them to your program of choice.

This would also probably require some money expended on buy the models you would need. There are some freebie models available but I won't point them out unless you decide that is what you wish to do. The thread and wiki that I pointed to have some examples listed of historical outfits as a way of keeping track of what is available for historical renders. Choholes textures are also very useful.

hope this is clearer

Pen
    edit for spelling

Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

Modified in 3ds Max.

As Neil has said, once DS4.5 is released it will be possible for someone to help you, providing that you and that person have purchased exactly the same content. However be aware it will probaly come at some cost, as there will be the expense of buying the models and whoever does it will probably wish to be paid for their time, as it could be quite time consuming.

edited December 1969

Hi kerrychivers :)

I know it can be confusing transferring models built to be used in one program, into a program that doesn't really support those,.. and I don't want to add to the confusion, ...but..

Another option is to export the figures and clothing from Daz studio as FBX or Collada which can both export the models and animation, and that would allow you to import the figure into your 3D Max Scene and render it.

You could also go the other way, and export your 3DMax scene objects as OBJ format models , then load those into Daz Studio , or Carrara,.. which would allow you to animate the figures in the 3D scene.

I used 3DMax for modelling and animation until Max2009, but now I don't use Max,.. I use Carrara, since it gets around the issues you're facing of importing /exporting human figures and clothing, and rendering at a good quality.
    there are some things that Max does that carrara can't do, but as far as working with the Daz3D / Poser models, and animating them in a 3D environment, it's much easier to do that, since the models can be loaded natively from a content browser, just as they are in Daz Studio or poser, and that make things simpler and quicker.

Hope it helps :)

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Good grief, you guys do know how to befuddle a simple answer.

Kerry it's very simple. There are two scenarios we need to look at. First scenario assumes you will not be distributing your CAD scene but a render. If this is the case then you have nothing to worry about. However, if you do need to distribute the actual scene file then you will not be able to use DAZ figures and clothing as you are not permitted to distribute the actual meshes, no matter what format it was converted to.

For a render scenario you would need to check what base figures the clothing you do decide to use were made for. You would then need to purchase those figures as well as the clothing items you need. Most of the clothing will be for Victoria 4.2, Michael 4 and Genesis. You might also want to get some morph packs for your figures to add some variety as well as some hair and character presets. All of these can be bought from the store. You can then use DAZ Studio to load the figures, add the clothing and pose them. When you are happy with the result you can export the complete scene in Wavefront Object (.obj) format and import into 3DS Max to convert to CAD format or import directly into CAD if it can import Wavefront Object files. You can also export to FBX format but the results may vary as the FBX exporter is not complete.

Unfortunately this is not going to be a quick fix and it's going to cost you a rather substantial amount of money. I would not suggest this route for a once off project. I would rather suggest looking at DOSCH, Turbosquid or similar sites for a one time project. However, if you do find yourself needing characters regularly then DAZ Studio and figures will be a good investment in the long run.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

edited December 1969

Well, except for the fact that the OP doesn't want to learn to use another new software, but is looking for someone to do it for them.

Hence the discussion as to what is and what is not allowable under the Daz3D EULA.

As Neil says, once DS4.5 is freely availabel as a full release and not a release candidate, then this sort of scenario will be possible, but both parties involved will need to have the exact same content.

Then a DSON file can be distributed.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Well, except for the fact that the OP doesn't want to learn to use another new software, but is looking for someone to do it for them.

Hence the discussion as to what is and what is not allowable under the Daz3D EULA.

As Neil says, once DS4.5 is freely availabel as a full release and not a release candidate, then this sort of scenario will be possible, but both parties involved will need to have the exact same content.

What she wants is pre-made models. Which DAZ have plenty of. She just has to play dress-up and export them herself. Yes, DS4.5 is an option if you really can't take half a day to learn how to dress and pose a model but it's months away. It's not going to solve any real problems any time soon.

edited June 2012

chohole said:

What she wants is pre-made models. Which DAZ have plenty of. She just has to play dress-up and export them herself. Yes, DS4.5 is an option if you really can't take half a day to learn how to dress and pose a model but it's months away. It's not going to solve any real problems any time soon.

Without wanting to start any sort of war Harry.....................half an day to learn how to do things in DS. I am constantly reading of people who still can't do that after half a year of learning, and I sure as hell know it took me a bit more than half a day to learn to use poser even, and that is much more intuitive to me than DS.

Heck some people are not even getting DS set up and working in half a day.

edited June 2012

What's wrong with war? :vampire:

But yes, there is a learning curve and it's simple for some and complicated for others. Barring installation issues and acts of God it should take most people only a few hours to learn basic posing and how to dress a character. More advanced topics take longer of course but the OP is familiar with Autocad and 3DS Max and should not have too rough of a learning curve. Which we can and will help with of course.

I have to remind you of the purpose of this section dear lady. It is to encourage learning, not to make people afraid of it. :lol:

Consider yourself spanked. :coolgrin:

Post edited by Harry Dresden on
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys :)
    I have attached a low res image done in AutoCAD and 3ds.
    It's a rail image without people.
    I don't need the 3d models - I just need the final image
    And in this case it will be grizzled old 1880's men with beards.
    Not many of those on Daz Studio!

I have a friend who says she can learn Daz "in half a day"
    And, without ever using the package I replied, "Yeah... right"
    NOTHING I have ever learned took "half a day."
    AutoCAD took me twenty years! Still learning 3ds after seven years.

One day I will be happy to pay someone to create these old timers.

Wharf_and_wagons_6_July2011_reduced.jpg
    640 x 480 - 129K
    edited December 1969

Hi Kerry

Generally speaking, the Daz3D models, such as Michael or Victoria can be adjusted into various shapes and sizes, from a child to an adult, or from a pretty girl to an Orc or Troll,.. so, although you'll see lot's of glamorous images in the store,,. there's the ability to "morph" (adjust) the shape of the Model, and to change the skin textures to make it whatever you want.
    As far as adding figures to the image,.. that could be done in Photoshop or any other image editor, or directly in a 3D application which allows you to load in an image as a Background/backdrop.
    quickie example.

quick_1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 45K
    edited December 1969

Oooh...nice work Andy. What outfit did you use there?