Released - Content Package Assist (Commercial)

Well, what else can I say? The product page says it all really smiley

http://www.daz3d.com/content-package-assist

Comments

• ChatjdChatjd Posts: 152

One question, does it create a smart content product in Studio when the package is created/installed through DIM or is it the files installed but without a smart content product?

• Oh. My. God. You. ROCK.

Friday is payday. Friday is also the day I will own this.

• Chatjd said:

One question, does it create a smart content product in Studio when the package is created/installed through DIM or is it the files installed but without a smart content product?

It does create a smart content product if it contains metadata.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

If there's no metadata DIM will create an entry in Content Library > Products,

• I have beta tested/used this since Doctorjellybean first set it up.  I can atest this is the BEST thing ever!  All of my products from other stores have an entry in Content Library > Products and are so easy to find and work with.  :)  LOVE this app!!

• TraceSLTraceSL Posts: 519

Does not matter much but can it do batch files?  I have a number of DinoRaul items I want to get into DAZ/Studio.  :)

• TraceSL said:

Does not matter much but can it do batch files?  I have a number of DinoRaul items I want to get into DAZ/Studio.  :)

Yes! See the 2nd popup promo :)

• TraceSLTraceSL Posts: 519
    TraceSL said:

Yes! See the 2nd popup promo :)

Brought! and useing, you just made my runtimes and life huge!

• Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170

Since the product page most definitely does not include a very important bit of information, I'm going to ask here.  Is this Windows only or will it work natively (without emulation software) on a Mac?

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

The product page says nothing about system requirements/compatibility.

In other words: Windows, Macintosh, or both?

• de3an said:

The product page says nothing about system requirements/compatibility.

In other words: Windows, Macintosh, or both?

Windows only at this time. I'll get it updated.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I'm totally in awe.  Thank you good Doctor.  This is just what many of us that don't create content for the DAZ3D store need.  I'm going to make sure the good folks over at Hivewire know about this product.  It's in my cart! 

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Is there plans for a Mac version at some point?

-- Walt Sterdan

• wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

It is being looked at as we speak. There are some obstacles which need to be overcome, so it won't happen overnight.

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899
    Chatjd said:

It does create a smart content product if it contains metadata.

I'm considering this item, but I depend on Smart Content a lot for my library, so can anyone point me to a good forum post (I couldn't find anything easily) or another source that gives good instructions on how to create the metadata that would allow this package to put in a Smart Content entry?  I'd also like to go back over some of my older items and fix them up too, so this would be a great tool if I can ge the metadata issue figured out!

Thanks!

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

It is being looked at as we speak. There are some obstacles which need to be overcome, so it won't happen overnight.

Well, I'd like to buy it overnight, so can you hurry up? wink

I absolutely love DIM, so if you don't think you'll have this for the Mac in the next few weeks, I'l probably buy the Windows version anyway.

Thanks,

Walt Sterdan 

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

I was so ready to buy this! This is excatly what ! been looking for.
    Since getting use to the ease of installing with DIM and now connect.
    Seeing products from other stores that I like, it was the installing part that would make me not buy sometimes.

Another Mac User here that will buy this immediately when ready.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

So sorry to be so dense....... I am sure there are a lot of brain cells not connected in my brain.

So I will simply ask the questions here.........

Does this allow me to download eg., a dress and its separately bought textures into one package in my DS runtime? 

Can I download items from another store, eg., Renderosity?

Can I re-download all the content I bought at DAZ into a new storage location?

Thanks.

I am sure I will have more questions to ask later.

Does this allow me to download eg., a dress and its separately bought textures into one package in my DS runtime? 

Yes

This doesn't download, it xcretes zips that can be installed using DIM for items you've downloaded from other sources.

DIM already does this.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Yes

This doesn't download, it xcretes zips that can be installed using DIM for items you've downloaded from other sources.

DIM already does this.

Wow! Perfect.

Since DIM came out I've gotten spoiled because DIM is so easy to use. Except for exceptional stuff, what I've gotten from other stores since is still sitting on my harddrive uninstalled. Hand installing now seems so primitive especially since I have to physically put textures for clothing in the folder with the clothing. Now I can work it so I can reference them together in Products.

Also, instead of installing stuff from elsewhere zips, I've been organizing them into subject folders like G3F, animals, bots, vehicles, etc. So it looks like I'm almost ready to go!

Thank you Dr Jellybean!

• I am sorry for this total noob quesiton... but if I created this to package non-Daz resources I have... how do I get the package into DIM?  What I mean is I do not know how to get the Install Manager to look for a local DIM file.

• I am sorry for this total noob quesiton... but if I created this to package non-Daz resources I have... how do I get the package into DIM?  What I mean is I do not know how to get the Install Manager to look for a local DIM file.

That's what one of purposes for the "offline" mode is; if you know the location that DIM will look for files in, you can place the newly made installer compatible files there and start it in offline mode and it will show them as ready to install.

If you click the gear (settings) in the upper right corner in DIM, the Downloads tab lists the location of the downloads folder.  Just put the zip there and DIM will show it as ready to install.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If you click the gear (settings) in the upper right corner in DIM, the Downloads tab lists the location of the downloads folder.  Just put the zip there and DIM will show it as ready to install.

You can also edit the folder that DIM looks for items, in that same spot. 

You can also enter in CPA Settings the DIM download folder, and when you Make the zips, you can select the DIM Download folder as the destination.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Soon as I buy another PC+ membership, I'll get it. Not been offered enough discount yet on PC+ :p

But I'm saving some nice cash waiting; hopefully I'll have to wait a couple of months. :)

But this was a product I nearly bought anyway - about bloody time something like this appeared.

• As promised, I went ahead and bought this today -- major good call. This has already made my life easier.

I'm a Mac user who also has a Windows install where I do renders. Rather than use the Windows box to master packages, I took steps to do it on the Mac. First I tried to get it working under Wine, and got most of the way there -- but Wine under El Capitan has a few weirdnesses (the sqlite3.dll did not want to load), and since you can't hand-edit the compatibility tags or set a default of 'Daz 4.5+' it was more trouble than it was worth to get it working today. So, I instead installed it on a Win7 VM I have running in Fusion, which can see my Mac's drive. This works perfectly well -- I can't launch the Mac InstallManager from the program but that's essentially the only thing I can't do.

I've been happily taking content and packaging it since. I had been one of those folks who'd take a new 3rd Party program and make it a seperate content directory so as to easily work with it. This means I can take those superfluous content libraries and nuke them.

I have a few thoughts for tweaks and improvements, but understand that I'm really happy with this:

• Batch Mode: it would be nice if you could set compatibility tags as defaults in settings the same way you can set source prefix. As it is I'm setting up a few dozen packages to batch convert but then have to click the gear on each to set the compatibility, even though almost all of them will have the same tags. It would be great to set a default and tweak anomolies.
    • It would be nice to be able to drag and drop an image onto the tab and have it set as the Product image. It would be even better if that popped up a window showing the graphic and a crop/resize to get its proportions right for Daz, but one takes what one can get.
    • Obviously it would be nice to have some rudementary metadata creation here, but to properly do metadata as part of this process would probably need a whole new tool or at least a significant upgrade into version 2.
    • It was actually kind of annoying downloading the CPA zip file onto my Mac so I could open it up and test it -- manual install didn't want to download onto my Mac. I ended up having to turn the Win filter off in Install Manager, then download without installing and manually pull it out of the download folder. I'm not the only one with Fusion/Crossover/Wine, so (and this is more of a note to Daz) having a simple means of at least pulling the zip file down onto the Mac would be nice.

The other thing I'm thinking of is more for the community. Now that we have this -- if we had an initiative somewhere that would let us save metadata for the product in an accessible location (a wiki, say, or other database) in some way compatible with CPA, we could then put together a pretty nice online crowdsourced database of metadata for Smart Content for 3rd Party Products. Add a hook or two in the CPA to let us drag the metadata file(s) onto the tab after we've dragged the Zip file (and have that adjust the names to fit the metadata as needed) and things could be really nicely made.

(It would be even better, IMO, if producers on Renderosity or the like could be given the option to generate a DIM using this tool and make metadata for their product, and have that be something you can download from their site -- or even just add that to the Zip file you download now. That said, I can see why they might not. A crowdsourced version of metadata would be nice.)

• Batch Mode: it would be nice if you could set compatibility tags as defaults in settings the same way you can set source prefix. As it is I'm setting up a few dozen packages to batch convert but then have to click the gear on each to set the compatibility, even though almost all of them will have the same tags. It would be great to set a default and tweak anomolies.
    • It would be nice to be able to drag and drop an image onto the tab and have it set as the Product image. It would be even better if that popped up a window showing the graphic and a crop/resize to get its proportions right for Daz, but one takes what one can get.
    • Obviously it would be nice to have some rudementary metadata creation here, but to properly do metadata as part of this process would probably need a whole new tool or at least a significant upgrade into version 2.

Re the Batch suggestion, good idea. I've been thinking about the Product image the last few days, watch this space. As for the metadata creation, that would need a whole new tool. It is something which I have looked at a long time ago, maybe I should look at it again.

• To everyone's comments, thank you. I'm very glad that you find it useful smiley

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249

@Demiurgent
    @DoctorJellybean

Mac User who would really like a native Mac appliction that does this.

I was going to ask DoctorJellybean if the packages created with the windows version would install correctly on a Mac.
    Demiurgent looks like he already tried what I was thinking, to try it in a VM on the Mac.

So the packages created in the windows Version, installs correctly on the Mac using DIM?

Thanks