Bye Bye Daz3d

Comments

• DoricDoric Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

Returning to the OP, don't feel bad about forgetting about DAZ, I did that already. I use Poser, Studio in any version is only confusion to me, and I prefer not to be confused. Genesis, maybe okay, maybe not, and it doesn't matter. I've gotten away from conforming for the most part, using dynamic, and Studio can't handle dynamic that doesn't come from their sole supplier. Support for the gen 4 hasn't died completely, but finding something I can use is an exercise in frustration. Skankwear sells, something real people would actually wear doesn't. Fantasy wear, ho-hum. Tons of it, none of which I want to use. For Genesis, forget it in my case, nothing there worth looking at because it's not what I want, and probably will never be..

Tons of money in the gen 3 and 4 figures already, dump more into Genesis, no, I'm not made of money. If, as has been stated, Genesis can be used in Poser, still a no sale, Not going to start the money chase again.

And the number of postings by me says how much of interest to me is in the forums lately. I'm not having any particular problems with PP2012, it seems stable and reliable. DS 4.5, downloaded, not installed, and several threads tell me not to waste the time. Sharecg and Poserworld so far are taking care of most of my needs.

D.

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

T Jaiman said:
    First: *SYMPATHIES*.

My old computer runs DS|4, but it's not going to manage much serious work. And my upgrade hopes look pretty disappointing, right now.

I'm ignorant of programming as well, but, yeah, a DS3 plugin seems implausible, to me. And DS3 probably wouldn't run for you, with it.

You were asking a reasonable question. Things get misinterpreted sometimes. There's still been some harshness, here and there. And not long ago there were waves of horse pucky to debunk, that stuff is still fresh in folk's minds. Of course it might still be going full-blast, in other forums...

Cyn Art said:

Also, I sure hope this "badmouthing" thing of the new software isn't directed at me. I have NEVER badmouthed Genesis or DS4. I've not used either, so how would I know anything about them to even give an opinion anyway. I've already bought one Gen item because I liked it so much and have gotten all the Gen freebies in anticipation for "some day". I wouldn't say that's "badmouthing" so I'm taking this as a general remark not having anything to do with me.

Nah, he wasn't pointing fingers. I've seen examples of what he meant.

Thanks much for the input, Jaiman. You're right, DS3 would probably have a problem for me with any attempt. I have a hard enough time now. I think that's probably my real frustration, that any fixes for it went straight into the DS4 upgrade if there were any, and I'm not able to go into that.

Also, thanks for the explanation about recent events. I was thinking it appeared a little touchy in here. lol

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • edited December 1969

Genesis coming to Poser is the best news I've had all year. I'd almost considered bypassing Daz completely as I've been using Poser for years and have no plans or time to learn a new program..but I can think of a TON of genesis products I'd purchase if I could use them. Some of my favourite artists are here and I really miss their stuff.

Loving it guys and gals!!!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited September 2012

Doric said:
    Returning to the OP, don't feel bad about forgetting about DAZ, I did that already. I use Poser, Studio in any version is only confusion to me, and I prefer not to be confused. Genesis, maybe okay, maybe not, and it doesn't matter. I've gotten away from conforming for the most part, using dynamic, and Studio can't handle dynamic that doesn't come from their sole supplier. Support for the gen 4 hasn't died completely, but finding something I can use is an exercise in frustration. Skankwear sells, something real people would actually wear doesn't. Fantasy wear, ho-hum. Tons of it, none of which I want to use. For Genesis, forget it in my case, nothing there worth looking at because it's not what I want, and probably will never be..

Tons of money in the gen 3 and 4 figures already, dump more into Genesis, no, I'm not made of money. If, as has been stated, Genesis can be used in Poser, still a no sale, Not going to start the money chase again.

And the number of postings by me says how much of interest to me is in the forums lately. I'm not having any particular problems with PP2012, it seems stable and reliable. DS 4.5, downloaded, not installed, and several threads tell me not to waste the time. Sharecg and Poserworld so far are taking care of most of my needs.

D.

...this is why I am learning Marvelous Designer and Poser Pro 2010. Maybe I can eventually become skilled enough to create the dynamic clothing I want for my "clunky old" Gen4 based characters that will never be available since Genesis has stolen the show.

Genesis doesn't work for my LeelaTeen. I tried. Doesn't look anywhere near as good or as accurate as the Stph4 based character does (both the Studio3A and Poser Pro 2010 versions).

..."ohh, but, you're missing out on so much potential" I am told.

...Y'know, It really doesn't bother me.

So it has taken a bit more work to achieve the results I want. That's not a big deal. If anything it gives me more a sense of accomplishment, like when I created a 7 year old child using just V4 and Thorne's Tommi with no custom scripted morphs of my own (as I am not good at scripting) and in Studio .2.3.3 no less.

I remember one fellow here (who left a while back (because he could see where things were going) who did some pretty impressive work work with the original Poser Woman figure - better than some V4 stuff I saw at the time.

Jasmine, thank you for the hugs. Yeah I'm frustrated and disappointed, but I'll be fine.

In the past I could still use a lot of content created for Studio3 in Studio 2.3. I may have needed to tweak a few shaders or create my own lighting sets as the UE lights provided wouldn't work, but there was still always a workaround. With the change to the .duf format, new content will flatly not work in any version of Studio before 4.5 (or in Poser) period. This more than anything is why I feel Daz has lost it for me.

My system barely supports the basic OGL requirement for 4.5. As I mentioned before, there are no more upgrades available for my graphics chipset. I can have the app.crash while setting up a scene, something that never occurred with earlier versions of the software or Poser. Kind of makes all the slick features and that "fast" 3Delight render engine sort of pointless.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

Genesis coming to Poser is the best news I’ve had all year.

Did they actually say that? where? Have i missed something? the last thing I saw was a hint about poser heaven. That could be just a new poser compatible character or something.
    don't get too excited until we learn more. speaking of which...

any news about "poser heaven" as yet?
    Love esther

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    Genesis coming to Poser is the best news I’ve had all year.

Did they actually say that? where? Have i missed something? the last thing I saw was a hint about poser heaven. That could be just a new poser compatible character or something.
    don't get too excited until we learn more. speaking of which...

any news about "poser heaven" as yet?
    Love esther

Read the second post of this thread on page one and draw your own conclusions

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited September 2012

We shouldn't get our expectations too high. But...

I think if you will stick with us over the next couple of months, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the direction we are going with Genesis. I can’t give any details, but you Poser users will be in heaven. Stay tuned to the DAZ 3D Channel.

Now, assuming these words were chosen carefully... The general Daz history gives us, uh, ahem, some bad examples, though...

The way I parse it...

(A) This could merely mean that they've started commissioning to have Genesis DO's & PC-$1.99'ers converted to Gen 4. But I can't think of a reason to keep that secret (Of course they might have thought of a reason - as companies are wont to do).

(B) If, on the other hand, it's a plugin, then there would be several reasons for secrecy. If SM is involved, then that's an obvious reason. Also, there's tradition - we're always left to imagine that the developers know it can be done, but can't give a timeline yet, and/or it's been decided to wait for more progress from developers. ("I think" fits that. But "I think" is appropriate because he's offering his opinion)

SR3 made room for plugins to be written. That's how Poser is finally due to get Reality, for instance.

Also, Smith-Micro was once working with Daz, and they already laid much of the groundwork, with a weight mapping system that was successfully designed to be compatible with TriAx. I think I've heard someone say that they also added a few tweaks that helped Genesis, in SR3, but don't quote me on that. I mean you can quote the message, sure, but I'm not making claims.

So it's not an obviously unreasonable possibility.

But "over the next couple of months" and "with the direction we are going", suggest that it could take a while to get limited functions, and rather longer to get most/all of the functions in pretty-good shape. I suspect they'd generously give us a public alpha or beta, to play with. And... well, you know how that whole story goes.

In any case, once they've decided it's ok to torture us, it means TPTB have finally quit arguing about that part. So whatever it is is a done deal.

()As one note, I would hope that if they aren't talking plugin, they'd let us down now. (They wouldn't have to drop any hints, otherwise).

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:

...Genesis doesn't work for my LeelaTeen. I tried. Doesn't look anywhere near as good or as accurate as the Stph4 based character does (both the Studio3A and Poser Pro 2010 versions).

You know... I had that experience when I first tried to use Genesis, too... but I discovered that much like Gen 4, the more morphs( in the case of Genesis, it's actually "shapes" usually) the more likely you are to get the results you want. After I transferred V4's morphs to Genesis ( No, I did not need GenX or the V4 shape to do it) and I bought a few other "shape helpers" like:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-starter-bundle (which includes the Genesis Evolution: Morph Bundle)

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/victoria-5
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/stephanie-5

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-1
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-2
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-3
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-body-morph-resource-kit-1

I had absolutely NO trouble dialing what I wanted in a character.

Now...I'm poor, like I mentioned already, so I do not have all of these....and the ones I have I got at great prices. (Keep a heads-up for Daz3d 50% off sales for the DO items )

I do have one of Thorne's head morph resource kits...and it's AWESOME! I need to get the others...

The point is... "out of the box" Genesis is pretty basic....but then, so is V4 and Aiko 3 and all the others that ever launched before. With a few (just a few) "extras", Genesis is very flexible....even more flexible than generations before just because after you dial your "perfect" character... you can then "mutate" her into an elephant or a gorilla...lol

(Sorry.... I'm a fan.)

but really what I'm saying is... I was where you went with it...trust me... go a bit further, and you won't be disappointed.

Jasmine, thank you for the hugs. Yeah I'm frustrated and disappointed, but I'll be fine.

Always have hugs for you, KK... cuz you're sweet and sensitive...

and btw... I like you that way! :)

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

You know... I had that experience when I first tried to use Genesis, too... but I discovered that much like Gen 4, the more morphs( in the case of Genesis, it's actually "shapes" usually) the more likely you are to get the results you want. After I transferred V4's morphs to Genesis ( No, I did not need GenX or the V4 shape to do it) and I bought a few other "shape helpers" like:

Can you amplify what you did to get the V4 morphs to genesis without GenX?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:

...Genesis doesn't work for my LeelaTeen. I tried. Doesn't look anywhere near as good or as accurate as the Stph4 based character does (both the Studio3A and Poser Pro 2010 versions).

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-starter-bundle (which includes the Genesis Evolution: Morph Bundle)

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/victoria-5
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/stephanie-5

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-1
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-2
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-3
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-body-morph-resource-kit-1

I had absolutely NO trouble dialing what I wanted in a character

Now...I'm poor, like I mentioned already, so I do not have all of these....and the ones I have I got at great prices. (Keep a heads-up for Daz3d 50% off sales for the DO items )

I do have one of Thorne's head morph resource kits...and it's AWESOME! I need to get the others...

The point is... "out of the box" Genesis is pretty basic....but then, so is V4 and Aiko 3 and all the others that ever launched before. With a few (just a few) "extras", Genesis is very flexible....even more flexible than generations before just because after you dial your "perfect" character... you can then "mutate" her into an elephant or a gorilla...lol

(Sorry.... I'm a fan.)

but really what I'm saying is... I was where you went with it...trust me... go a bit further, and you won't be disappointed..

...Steph5 is too bulky and has no where near the body shapes and controls her Gen4 counterpart has.. She also doesn't have the specialty morph sets either and is also more expensive (which is why I didn't get her). The other thing is, I already have working versions of my LeelaTeen and LeelaChild character models. Genesis really has little to add save for maybe making her butt flatten better when she sits.

...but i can do the same with her in Poser 2012 without having to rebuild her from scratch.

Always have hugs for you, KK... cuz you're sweet and sensitive...

and btw... I like you that way! :)

...awwww,

Guess even a "troll" can feel all gushy inside.

...thank you. :red:

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

luxgabu said:

OK... after giving this some thought... I've decided I will share. I won't hijack this thread completely to do it, though...lol.

I've debated for quite some time about whether I should share, because Gen X is awesome and much simpler from what I hear... but since what I know really only works with V4 and M4 (K4 and A3 did not work , for example) and since I think it will help encourage people to try Genesis (which I think would be a good thing) I will do it.

I will put together a tutorial and post it somewhere... probably the New Users forum. Give me a little time... probably won't get to it until after the week-end (I'm already backed up with a few things) but I will return with a link when I've finished it.

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

luxgabu said:

OK... after giving this some thought... I've decided I will share. I won't hijack this thread completely to do it, though...lol.

I've debated for quite some time about whether I should share, because Gen X is awesome and much simpler from what I hear... but since what I know really only works with V4 and M4 (K4 and A3 did not work , for example) and since I think it will help encourage people to try Genesis (which I think would be a good thing) I will do it.

I will put together a tutorial and post it somewhere... probably the New Users forum. Give me a little time... probably won't get to it until after the week-end (I'm already backed up with a few things) but I will return with a link when I've finished it.

Thanks for taking the time and effort. I look forward to seeing it.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:

...Steph5 is too bulky and has no where near the body shapes and controls her Gen4 counterpart has.. She also doesn't have the specialty morph sets either and is also more expensive (which is why I didn't get her). The other thing is, I already have working versions of my LeelaTeen and LeelaChild character models. Genesis really has little to add save for maybe making her butt flatten better when she sits.

...but i can do the same with her in Poser 2012 without having to rebuild her from scratch.

Unfortunately I have yet to see one Gen4 morph with Steph4 that looks like a teen... just a short adult. Generally you need to do a lot face work, mostly custom to get a younger face out of her. And of course of you need to work on her body shape more because a teen doesn't have the proportions that Steph has... so you can't do custom bodies unless you got a copy of Morphing Clothes.

Can you do a better teen with steph5? It really gets down to your skill in making faces; it's not as simple as mixing child in. However, that's where the beauty of Genesis comes in, because you're not restricted in what you can change. But it's certainly not a lot more expensive to do it... getting more aquainted with the tools in blender or hexagon and loading your results in with morph loader pro and you're already way ahead in making custom morphs with Gen4, that is if you're actually working on making a believable teen.... moving dials in either Gen4 or Genesis isn't really going to do it.

I think I know where you're going with the tools to transfer morphs without GenX; and for beginners you really need to use GenX. To get a morph out using that other method is really pain incarnate... and usually needs another tool (I used Zbrush before GenX was available) to clean up issues around extreme areas like eyes. The tool has improved since I used it in the betas (that's how I got morph of nigel back to M4... but then that's one of of the reasons I wanted to redo the whole thing in M5 ;) ), but I pulled my hair out doing it.

I know I'm going to get chorus of "don't discourage us, we can do it"... but all it takes is the attempt to doing one and you'll see what I mean, especially when those eyes go wonky and you don't know how to fix it. And you'll be trying fix that one morph in the time you could have used GenX to transfer a bunch of morphs.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • adegneradegner Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Since Daz has moved all hysterically to Genesis I'm afraid the site have nothing to offer for me. So I will not renew my membership like many others. I have been a member for many years and really love V3-V4 and poser stuff, the platinum club stuff has decreased dramatically and not releasing props like they used to do.And I'm not a DS person. This is so sad, cause I enjoy this store. Good luck!
    Victor

I think if you will stick with us over the next couple of months, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the direction we are going with Genesis. I can't give any details, but you Poser users will be in heaven. Stay tuned to the DAZ 3D Channel.

I've been here since day one and I sure hope this becomes true. Today I had to download all files in a purchase because there is now way to distinguish a mac file from a pc file anymore. The example 14950_FutureHeightExp_v1.1_dpc.zip dpc is not pc anymore. When will the server start working like a true store and not the crap it is now. I even am starting to like DS4x and have no problem using it for what I need to do which is to use it primarly as an export package to my higher end applications.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I check in once and a while to see just how far DAZ is going to stretch this string,
    Personally I don't believe anything DAZ says, it seems what DAZ says and what DAZ does is two different things. Or should I say what DAZ infers is not what DAZ means.

It's my opinion; and I could be wrong but doubt it, what they are referring to is a new exported plugin for studio to convert DSF and DUF to cr2 and pp2, probably losing all the weight mapping that makes genesis genesis. {not saying there is one, it's just what I think they are talking about}

Till poser can use DSF and DUF or DAZ finds a way to convert studio weight mapping to poser weight mapping this is going no where.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    probably losing all the weight mapping that makes genesis genesis. {not saying there is one, it's just what I think they are talking about}

Weightmaps aren't what makes Genesis "Genesis"... it is the morphs and how you can combine them to make new creations... the weightmaps dynamically supports how that creation bends when posed.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2012

Okay I just want to say... Why is everyone upset that Daz hasnt supported genesis FOR poser. One would think that if smith micro wants to support Daz genesis then THEY would be the ones who do all the leg work. Sure theyd work together but I feel many people appear to be blaming the wrong company. Daz made a great figure for their software which is their business. Likewise poser is making its own. If it was me wanting a character to be supported in program 'x' I'd be at company 'x' not winging at the creator of the software made by company 'y' to support it in program 'x'

You've got to keep in mind that both companies are separate. There are licensing involved. Copyright to be agreed upon not just the mind blowing task of actually getting it to work in poser. Not to mention all the genesis add ons that too would need to be made compatable.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

the vickies and michaels always used to work in poser. DAZ seemed to want us to buy their stuff in the past. It's just disappointing. But anyway they have hinted about poser heaven, so we will just have to see what that turns out to be. In the meantime I can actually use genesis in poser. I get a low rez mesh that can be subdivided by a python script by snarlygribbly so it is not all bad. and wardrobe wizard supports genesis. and genesis can use my old textures.
    Love esther

edited December 1969

Btw. I will say it is a joint company task as Daz owns exclusive rights to the figure... but it is certainly not just daz's responsibility. Poser will have to just as interested and invested to incorporate daz's character revolution.

edited September 2012

esther said:
    the vickies and michaels always used to work in poser. DAZ seemed to want us to buy their stuff in the past. It's just disappointing. But anyway they have hinted about poser heaven, so we will just have to see what that turns out to be. In the meantime I can actually use genesis in poser. I get a low rez mesh that can be subdivided by a python script by snarlygribbly so it is not all bad. and wardrobe wizard supports genesis. and genesis can use my old textures.
    Love esther

Good for you :cheese: its nice to hear some positives!

I'm sure the two companies will work something out... if they havnt already done so! It all just takes time. It's no easy task! And I think we should all be more supportive to the idea of the possible project, not complaining that they aren't doing it... because it's very likely its all ready well into the making. We just dont have the official announcement yet :)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    Spyro said:
    Btw. I will say it is a joint company task as Daz owns exclusive rights to the figure... but it is certainly not just daz's responsibility. Poser will have to just as interested and invested to incorporate daz's character revolution.

SM's business model is based on selling software, not content (which is very, very obvious looking at Content Paradise).

How is adding genesis support going to sell extra copies of Poser? The people that are clamoring to use genesis ALREADY own Poser 9/2012.

More importantly from DAZ's perspective, if genesis is available in Poser, what would be a selling point for DS5?

Things to think about.

SM's business model is selling software to the MOBILE MARKET. Poser isn't even an afterthought. Poser isn't close to being SM's best selling "graphics package." Both Anime Studio, and Manga Studio outsell Poser by a wide margin. (Source: Last *8* shareholder's quarterly reports). In our conference calls with SM, Poser is *NEVER* mentioned, and the PC/Mac software is only covered in passing as the last "summary" after all of the long discussions of the mobile work. (Refer to the online transcripts of these calls for proof)

Something to think about.

Kendall

edited September 2012

ssgbryan said:
    Spyro said:

SM's business model is based on selling software, not content (which is very, very obvious looking at Content Paradise).

How is adding genesis support going to sell extra copies of Poser? The people that are clamoring to use genesis ALREADY own Poser 9/2012.

Poser software needs something to render. DAZ is in the business of providing content.

See how this relationship works? That's why they really need each other.

More importantly from DAZ's perspective, if genesis is available in Poser, what would be a selling point for DS5?
    [

DAZ provides content, and that's where their emphasis has been. DS was just the vehicle to demonstrate the new content platform, when SM didn't have everything that was needed to present it. So really both need to work together to compliment each other's strengths.

If nothing else came from Genesis, it gave SM a good swift kick in their pants to finally work on their figure platform over the last few service packs so now things like the K4 toddler and Freak 4 works with scaling after doing nothing with it for years. And the changes to allow plugins like GoZ and Reality to fit in? Swift kick indeed. And that's really how technology works... you think you can sit on your laurels and you find you got some catching up to do.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited September 2012

ssgbryan said:
    Spyro said:

Things to think about.

Ok let's think about this for a seccond.
    Genesis.

From Daz point of view - ALL genesis content! Sales double by covering the poser customers!
    Poser point of view- if they have the latest popular models (as clearly seen by reading the influx of complaints for not having genesis supported. And requests to get it supported on the poser program!). Then the continue to encourage existing and NEW customers to use their software.

Just think about the people who start out in Daz with genesis... Why would a Daz user want to give poser a go if they don't have the compatability of their latest revolutionary ultimate morphing genesis?

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:

... A manual! *parumpbum* Thank you, folks. I'll be here all week.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited September 2012

"...Steph5 is too bulky and has no where near the body shapes and controls her Gen4 counterpart has.. She also doesn’t have the specialty morph sets either and is also more expensive (which is why I didn’t get her). The other thing is, I already have working versions of my LeelaTeen and LeelaChild character models. Genesis really has little to add save for maybe making her butt flatten better when she sits."

Kyoto Kid, I completely find this statement incorrect. You see, people are so used to stand alone shapes they forget what Genesis is about. Using S5 on her own will give you limited results yes. BUT, combine her with Genx transfers and Genesis morphs and she has more control and morphs than any Gen4 counterpart. Also please post a pic of this leelateen of yours. I want to see the body structure. I bet I can duplicate it with ease or even make a better one using S5 and my morphs from Genx:) You keep downtalking Genesis, lets put your Gen4 models to the test:) I will show you the power of Genesis.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

WOW, Well said Zev!!!!

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:

animation, dynamic hair, dynamic cloth creation, enough things to think about and never touch poser again.

edited December 1969

While the 'most popular' character on any 3d software is very much debatable - Genesis is the next generation, It is all of them compiled in one model, Creating characters with genesis is in my opinion far more superior than Gen 4, every aspect of each character is in your paint pallet. Creation is endless, which was reasonably true with the old Apollo Maximus (Which was certainly good in its time). I don't wish to bicker about the 'BEST'. This is my opinion only.

If genesis clothing is already available for poser, then DAZ has already began! They are generating their profit... So it would be ideal for future sales that the GENESIS gets supported in POSER, which I will add... Will be more attractive to the poser market.

New characters for genesis... Well MANY vendors would certainly express their differing opinions on that. Speaking of genesis in general the biggest and best feature is the limitless ability to create ORIGINAL and UNIQUE characters. In regards to generation figures... M5, V5, S5.... Not to mention All the existing character packs and upcoming ones! The characters movements and rigging are far more an improvement beyond Gen 4, 3 and so on. And to note, I would be surprised If DAZ hasn't already planed a D5 and L&L (Or similar). There is much myth and speculation on the topic, but I'm sure they know profits will be found there.

I believe the figure is more realistic and refined over previous generations as well, having worked with M4 and V4 quite a lot in the not to distant past.

Overall this is my personal opinion and views... I do not intend to fight or bicker on any of this. :)