Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Here is my DInka RHino Guard scene resized fit the forum (oops sorry Rashad!) - done in Bryce with HDRI lighting from HORO

Kiwi_GG yours are really nice models. I use Hexagon for modelling as I cant get my head around how to do some things in Bryce - so I'm really impressed with people who do such amazing detailed things with Bryce.

If anyone is interested, Ive got hold of PhotoZoom Pro4.1 from BenVista - this is a utility for re-sizing picture files and uses S-Spline algorithms to achieve fantastic clarity to huge allow enlarging to huge print sizes (up to 1 million x 1 million pixels), and also for reducing pic sizes it keeps edge clarity and overall quality far better than most other programs.

http://www.benvista.com/photozoompro

Dinka+rhino1-2-SMLa.jpg
    734 x 410 - 183K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2012

I do apologise for having to remove your image.

We are hoping to get the autoresizing feature re-instated as soon as possible. It was working fine on the beta site, but for some reason didn't translate over to the new server.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I fully agree with Pumeco. The Chromatic Aberration as well as other effects like Lens Flare are essential. The purpose of many users is to create the look of a photo. All mediums have their signatures, and photos are no different. The errors indeed help. I am curious about the other forms of Chromatic Aberration Len is eluding to. There are several different types of scattering that can occur within a lens that can cause color shifting. There are also signatures specific to certain types of lenses, all very important for the ultimate fakery.

I just edited my post, I didn't mean another form of Chromatic Aberration, I meant another form of Aberration. Mind you, the effect I'm talking about is pretty much the same thing, only on a different sort of scale. The most basic way to describe the difference is that while in photographs you tend to see the fringing in high-contrast areas, the other type I refer to is more evenly distributed. If I were to say "Technicolor" to you, you'd be able to picture what Technicolor looks like. Something I noticed though, was that although Technicolor is a process used on the film, the process wasn't the whole look, and despite what endless amounts of plugin vendors will tell you, you cannot get the total Technicolor look through colour grading alone.

For the most part, the lenses they were using back then suffered from a form of Aberration that was actually really pleasing and just added to the aesthetic of Technicolor. When you see a film in Technicolor, that look is a combination of the film process and the lens aberration, and it's that type of aberration I'm talking about.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

@ Jamahoney

Almost exclusively Bryce except when I find it quicker and easier to use another app. The 2 parts of the govener assembly I made in Hex but they could have been made (given Time) with bryce. The hull and deck of the riverboat are an app called "Freeship" and Hexagon but could have been made in the terrain editor if I wanted to spend hours in P/shop creating hieght maps. Lunar Rover was made a while ago and as I recall is all bryce . If you really want to model with Bryce Just pick an object study it and have a go.

Cheers
    GG

clip_image001.gif
    77 x 200 - 9K
    Govener.gif
    800 x 532 - 135K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

@Kiwi
    That is very encouraging - using Byrce (and Hexagon) to create such objects. I've tackled the odd complex one indeed in Bryce, but they can take some time to complete, however, it gives one an in-depth experience in using the 'ware to its full extent.

Thanks once again - it's very obvious from your works that you are passionate in producing them.

Cheers
    Jay

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Very nice models, Kiwi_gg.

Here's a shot using a very bad 18 mm lens with chromatic aberration and terrible vignetting.

Runners18mm.jpg
    800 x 500 - 116K
    edited May 2012

@Kiwi
    Very nice nice models, and I like that Hammerite effect on some of the parts!

@Horo
    That sure is looking very photographic, peasant!

Post edited by pumeco on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Nice work Horo. Indeed, the Chromatic Aberration does help to marry the rendered content with the hdri backdrop nicely. Seems the step of aberration might be essential for these types of works. Wonder if we could create a filter that does it automatically in Bryce. Thinking.

edited December 1969

Thanks pumeco and Rashad. I used PTLens for chromatic abberation and vignetting. Soft shadows and DOF was used already in Bryce. I wouldn't take photographs with such a lens and if I did, I would never publish it. Nevertheless, the result does look like a shot with a cheap lens (focal length stated 18 mm actually translates to a 27 mm considering the crop factor of the DX sensor). At least it looks like a plausible photograph just because of its low quality. A filter in Bryce for CA? Interesting suggestion. A filter for vignetting may turn out to be rather simple.

edited May 2012

The blank space that was left on the "concept" Render Options dialogue had something to do with accessing post-work options - nuff said.

Remember Peasant Brinnen was after a certain vector effect? I thought why not kill all birds with one stone and have a Post-Processing lab that could be accessed by a button from those options (and the main interface). Lens aberrations and the ability to specify different lens properties was among them, so that when you render, you could do it through a virtual lens like you can in LightWave. Things like Gamma control could also have been shifted into that area of the program, cleaning up the options a little. Lens flares, Vignetting, Vector/Wire, and Cell shading are other examples of what could also be a part of a Post-Processing Lab.

Post edited by pumeco on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    The blank space that was left on the "concept" Render Options dialogue had something to do with accessing post-work options - nuff said.

Remember Peasant Brinnen was after a certain vector effect? I thought why not kill all birds with one stone and have a Post-Processing lab that could be accessed by a button from those options (and the main interface). Lens aberrations and the ability to specify different lens properties was among them, so that when you render, you could do it through a virtual lens like you can in LightWave. Things like Gamma control could also have been shifted into that area of the program, cleaning up the options a little. Lens flares, Vignetting, Vector/Wire, and Cell shading are other examples of what could also be a part of a Post-Processing Lab.

Carrara has something like this, as does Vue. About time for Bryce to get some post processing tools.

• gdresch_8c94c3f8dcgdresch_8c94c3f8dc Posts: 13
    edited June 2012

1970's TV series 'The Invaders'

Starring M4 as David Vincent...

Iimage removed too wide max size is 800x800 pixels

OK Try again, this is 798x598

Landing5L19.jpg
    798 x 598 - 451K
    Post edited by gdresch_8c94c3f8dc on
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited June 2012

It is my birthday today and you can all have a sweet.

Evil Gummy Bryce Object

Bear_Studio2.jpg
    800 x 468 - 251K
    Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Rashad you inspired me, with yoiur opening image, to return to an image I started two years ago and I have publiclly shown two versions both not good enough for me when I look back on them. When you see it you may remember it as you gave me Fill Cube Light advice for it.

I think I already remember the image. It was a cityscape with a nearby mountain range of sorts. The city was kind of in the valley. I suggested the 3D Fill bwecause Domes and IBl while great, were casting light from too far of a distance, making it hard to illuminate those surfaces which are hidden from the sky but still worthy of indirect bounced light from the environment. The 3d Fill does that quite well.

But in truth there are lots of possible light arrangements, all of them with benefits and drawbacks.

What I find interesting in your post is that it has been already 2 years since the last Bryce update. Hmm.Good memory Rashad, I'm impressed.

No it wasn't two years ago when you gave your Fill light advice, just two years from the original. The one we are talikng about was the second attempt.

Sorry I havn't replied to you all but I have been laid up for a few days.

Kiiw: Good modelling skills there, I like them all.

edited December 1969

keryna stunning image.

edited December 1969

Here is where I am at now with this project started in August 2010.

Using a Cube Fill light resized to cover all the buildings, with 64 lights, shadow Bias at -25 (thx Rashad for that tip) Shadows at 70%. Sun at 160% Spec at 70%. No sun soft shadows used as the render time would have been a week or so. LOL Render Quality was set the Regular as I found it too grainy when rendered without AA. Played about the FOV to lessen the fish eye distortion that occurs on the edges. I think I set the FOV at 100 at 120%. The Planets were rendered separately and a mask rendered with it.

To be honest I am still not 100% happy with the lighting.

After I had rendered all the elements and masks I then put it all together in PSE and gave it a few post processing functions like Sharpness and a soft orange tint. Gave the Dome a Bevel as I rendered a separate mask of that too, just in case. I even render the clouds and sky in a separate layer and making the clouds colour colour white and turning off the atmosphere and making it all black I made a mask of the clouds so they could be placed on top of the planets. Obviously I had to render a mask of the city to bring that forward making it the top layer in PSE.

CityscapeDomedBest.jpg
    800 x 450 - 525K
    edited December 1969

and this is the plain render to show what I am refering to not being 100% with the outcome.

PlainRender.jpg
    800 x 450 - 411K
  • kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

szark,
    Really nice image, the 2nd one has good depth to it and just the right amount of haze one would expect from an atmosphere controlled city full of vehicles under a dome. Love the idea of the sky roads, shows a sense of orderliness even though the vehicles would be able to travel any direction.

Cheers
    GG

edited December 1969

@Szark - very elaborate scene. I envy your patience to put such a scene together.

edited December 1969

Thx Kiwi and Horo

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

While my computer was happily rendering - here an image I posted at Bryce5.com but with DOF and slightly bluer light to (hopefully) satisfy the criticism offered by Rashad. I was out cycling and falling off my bike - something that happens to me a lot... for some reason... Also I am a bit sunburned too - bonus?

Image4.jpg
    584 x 450 - 96K
    Exspace_eg5_promo_dof.jpg
    750 x 375 - 83K
    edited December 1969

Did you get the sunburn whilst laying on the road after falling off the bike ? Enquring mind wants to know. :coolgrin:

edited December 1969

No, I didn't spend very long on the floor in case eager car drivers decided to finish me off. The sunburn came from cycling for 5 and a half hours in the sun. It was a moderately long cycle. Between 35 and 40 miles - which may not sound like much, but some of it was through sand. Which will be more meaningful to anyone who has cycled through sand!

edited December 1969

Sounds a long way to me, whether it's through sand or on a nice smooth road. Back in the day I could run a marathon, walk 70 miles or go for a 30 mile hack on my Pony , but cycling was never my favourite sport. Too much like hard work, especially if, like me, you have a tendency towards arthritis. My Brother on the other hand would do 100 mile time trials, and has had both his hips replaced before he was 60 because of it.

edited June 2012

Well, sport has never been good for your health. I've also burned my head today, though luckily a bit less. Not on the bike, just walking and climbing very steep countryside in 30°C. Did two HDRI panos. Left from the Devil's Bridge (Teufelsbrücke), the other one looks down about 1000 ft.

fd+lf.jpg
    800 x 178 - 44K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Nice. I am getting used to up and down countryside since we moved up here.

edited June 2012

@Szark
    Very detailed, glad I didn't have to render it!

@David
    That's a nice looking render, and the colour temperature does suit it.

I have to say that's some serious sunburn though, and you've totally blown the mental image I had of you.
    You don't look half as posh as the National Geographic narrator sort I thought you was!

@Horo
    Looks skillfully done for a peasant!

Post edited by pumeco on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited June 2012

Of course, many expect to see a static render in this 'Show us your Bryce Renders' topic, however, let's no forget the 'animation-side-of renders-thingy', too.

EDIT: Currently updating YouTube vid; as I felt it was rushed (that's the problem when you try to contribute to Bryce Renders - hoping you can make an effort to keep the image 'ALIVE' - hint: animation), and not included features that I would have had liked to add. So, bare with this over-enthusiastic poster.

Jay
    PS. Why has the YouTube linkage (allowing one to show a YouTube-image-vid that is then playable on clicking)...etc.,) been disabled in the new Bryce Forum setup?

PPS. Apologies: I'm not really including the YouTube link here above to achieve the so-called 'hits' that other posters in YouTube seem so stridently to achieve, but merely to give the 'topic' ('Show us your Bryce Renders') just another area of rendering options that others might submit to.

@David (Brinnen)
    Is that an actual stone in your 'cycling' endevour? I recall one time whilst hill-walking on one of our highest mountains here in Ireland - falling, and embedding an un-called-for large-ish stone in to my knee -- ooohh...the pain. Many don't realise that walking upwards is the easy part to climbing/hill-walking, but it's when on descending that you have to be careful - walking stick defintely recommended. BTW, as mentioned above, you look entirely different to what I imagined you to be from your old avatar - in this case, you look WAAAAY cool-er :)

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,257
    edited June 2012

Nice pics! Here is my contribution :roll::

Image removed by a moderator till resized…please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/510_98/

Malediven_oder_so.png
    800 x 540 - 635K
    Post edited by caravelle on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jamahoney, a stone embedded in the knee sounds bad indeed and thankfully I've managed to avoid that, just grazed me elbow, knee and ribs throwing myself across loose gravel, slightly the worse than falling in the nettles a few days before and slightly better - possibly - than the recent incident with the new crank cogs and jamming them into my ankle (now healing nicely). To me this does not seem the actions of anyone that is anyway "cool" but rather more tragically clumsy.

On the topic of renders... Having had some success unravelling some tricky optical puzzles (scene converter and spherical mapper (which will be set live as soon as DAZ fixes their website - checking my records from last year it took between three to five months for them to iron out the most serious bugs from their last adventure into a website overhaul... still, nothing we can do about that)) - anyway, Horo and I are presently researching the possibilities of more optical filtering. Here, consider the example supplied that is not my leg. A simple DTE terrain scene (taken from Bryce 7 Content Bundle 2 - which has been lost in limbo for over a year now) rendered TA but with the addition of a "special" optical filter. Anyone care to guess what the filter does?

Noclueinname.jpg
    533 x 400 - 126K
    Healing_nicely.jpg
    400 x 300 - 111K
This discussion has been closed.