Lantios’ Belated Birthday Contest (RESTARTED - LAST DAY)

LantiosLantios Posts: 76
edited September 2012 in The Commons

I'd really like to say I'm terribly sorry I let this contest die. School took a lot longer to finish and I went through some personal things during the summer. On top of that add starting college a few weeks ago and my mind was, and still is to some extent, blown and my time spent focusing on my studies and on my personal life.
My studies have gone perfectly well though and college is fantastic. I finished high school with a great average and graduating was great!

I did, as you so see, manage to get some lights done during the summer ;) Core Lighting is a new series I started working on in my limited free time and the light set in the store is the first of several in the series.

I'm officially restarting the contest now and will give everyone an additional two weeks to either enter again, enter if they never had the chance or even review their entries if they so wish to do.

I will re-post the rules and the contents of the thread from the old forum here and let you guys go crazy.

RENDER CONTEST!
So with that in mind, this is what the theme of the contest will be! I want you guys to make an image with a birthday theme but not just any birthday theme, a "turning 18" theme :coolsmile:
Feel free to go crazy. I want to see the best you can come up with. The renders can be character renders, full scenes, whatever you want as long as it fits into the theme.

RULES
-All renders must follow the "18th Birthday" theme to enter be considered as part of the contest.
-The deadline is September 21st, 2012.
-Be creative: I want to see the best you guys have to offer, so don't hold back!
-They must be new renders (or your old entries reworked, if you so wish to do).
-Image may be rendered in the program of your choice. No restrictions.
-All postwork is allowed.
-Bonus points for using my lights in the renders, but definitely not mandatory ;)
-Feel free to post as many times as you want, but only one entry per contestant will win.

PRIZES
First prize: a choice of three (3) products from my store (bundles & new products excluded)
Second prize: a choice of two (2) products from my store (bundles & new products excluded)
Third Prize:a choice of one (1) product from my store (bundles & new products excluded)

Post edited by Lantios on

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited September 2012

Glad to see the contest is back, and happy belated birthday, Lantios!

I made this back in May but didn't get a chance to enter before the old forum closed. This version was shrunk to a width of 800 pixels due to limitations with the new forum...I'll post the un-shrunk version later if the forum will let me.Here's the full-sized image (click to enlarge).

Used Lantios Lights 2 for the boardwalk scene (not for the Cyclorama background). No postwork (except on the Cyclorama background, plus compositing the two parts together, and shrinking it to a width of 800 pixels). Nine Genesis figures (various combinations of Basic Child, M5, a little D3, and some Evolutions morphs) roughly in two-year intervals.

This was a new render made for the contest, but in the interest of full disclosure, I first posted it here, when I didn't see a relevant thread in the new forum: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/631/

thinking back...looking forward

lantios_3.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 479K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,495
    edited September 2012

Sorry for stirring this up but I remembered this thread when I bought your last light set (not used in this picture though as it was rendered in Vue).

Title: Bastogne - Helluva day to turn 18!

bastogne.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 156K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • LantiosLantios Posts: 76
    edited September 2012

Thank you Scott-Livingston :)
    And don't worry Totte, I'm glad you did, there's a whole lot of other stuff I probably have forgotten about, reminding me is always good.

Glad to see your entries again guys :)

Post edited by Lantios on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Oh-hoh, I got an idea for this one... best to warm up the rendering engines!

edited December 1969

Glad to hear, can't wait to see what you come up with! :D

edited December 1969

Come on guys, let's see some more entries! :D

• CyonixCyonix Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

I'm working on one, probably be a few days before it's ready....

edited December 1969

Working on it. :D

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Perhaps not really themed for 18th birthday, however, I'd like to tribute this to Lantio as I owe it to him as the lighting elements were useing lantio's inspired lighting as well as the Lantios environment Light.

Love your lighting presets! They really taught me a great deal about lighting!

Tribal_BoyV2a-MarcusfinnigonPostworked.jpg
    1543 x 1869 - 895K
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

I have always been a fan of Lantino's light sets since they were first released and now that I am back to 3d again I have been plugging them to the new folks because they can really make a huge difference in a scene.

edited December 1969

Title: A Not-So-Happy Birthday
    Software Used: DS4 Pro, Minor Postwork in Photoshop
    Lights Used: Lantios Daylight Pack (Bonus Points FTW)

Even in the future, buying presents for your daughter's 18th birthday can be tricky......

Dad: ...But honey, you said you wanted a hovercar for your 18th birthday....

Daughter: I said I wanted a HOVERCAR, not a busted piece of junk!

A_Not-So-Happy_Birthday.jpg
    800 x 600 - 258K
    edited December 1969

Awesome guys, keep them coming! :D

edited December 1969

Mine is rendering now! Will take some long long long hours to finish! (Since I render things pretty big.) And it does use your lights! Will post as soon as it finishes!

edited December 1969

Fact: People who live in modern, technology-suffused society and who are 18 or younger have never seen a world which is not connected with a network of computers.

When mom came back with a second load of items needed to set up the birthday table, she was seriously upset to find the twins filming the cat, instead of tossing the moggy off the table and cake. They were technically adults now and they really should have known better than let the furbeast mess with human food.

Stephanie and David were likewise upset that their YouTube sensation was interrupted.

Nonetheless, the video "OMG lol the cat is totally eating our cake" managed to get 2 million views in a week.

Lantios-2012.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 780K
    edited December 1969

Just curious, are we allowed to post our entries elsewhere (like my dA gallery) before the contest ends? I wanna make sure I don't do anything that would get me disqualified.

edited December 1969

Cyonix said:
    Just curious, are we allowed to post our entries elsewhere (like my dA gallery) before the contest ends? I wanna make sure I don't do anything that would get me disqualified.

Well I certainly hope so. :)

edited December 1969

Yes, feel free to :) You may post them elsewhere if you wish!

Last day of the contest guys! I'll be getting back all the old entries from the old contest on the old forums as well as these new ones and I'll have a winner decided before the weekend ends.
    I shall PM the winners to ask which prize you want and then I'll send you a link to them! :D

• Sensei76Sensei76 Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

*sigh*

For some reason I had thought the deadline was the last of the month and that there was still enough time.

Ah well...
    Next time again.
    :shut:

edited December 1969

I again will excuse myself for the delay on the results. Homework got the better of me and before I knew it midterms came along. I did good in everything and now that I've had some time over the past week to weigh the images, I've decided on the three winners!

First Prize does to Cyonix
    Second Prize goes to Spyro
    Third Prize goes to Jan19

I've attached the entries to show them (I'd put them in the post, but the forums aren't working like they used to so...)
    I shall also PM each of the winners now so that they may claim their prizes!

Thank you all for bearing with me. For a first contest it did not run so smoothly, partly because school takes a big chunk out of my life right now, hopefully next year's will be better though :)

A_Not-So-Happy_Birthday.jpg
    800 x 600 - 258K
    Tribal_BoyV2a-MarcusfinnigonPostworked.jpg
    1543 x 1869 - 895K
    origimage_1_3407506.jpg
    575 x 575 - 136K
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Wow! Thanks Lantios!!!! I'm so excited! :cheese: This totally made my day! And my first contest winner Wow!

I hope you had a fantastic birthday :)

Congratulations to Cyonix and Jan19 !!!!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,495
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners!

edited December 1969

Hey, the results are in! Now let's see how I...........................................wait a minute. I won? But....I've never actually won a contest before! (Okay, that last statement isn't entirely true.....I did win a beginner's contest a few years back, but there were only three or four entries, so the odds of winning that one were pretty high.....)

Anyways, congrats to the other winners and to all who entered! Great entries from everybody! :cheese:

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Lantios. :-) Winning is a new experience for me, too!

Now I have something to brag about today.

So who can I go brag to...? :-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2012

Oh wow Jan, where you been. Haven't seen you around for ages. Nice to see you.

Congrats on the win, and to the other two as well.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners--great work! And you're all first/second-time contest winners? That's pretty cool.

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited October 2012

chohole said:
    Oh wow Jan, where you been. Haven't seen you around for ages. Nice to see you.

Congrats on the win, and to the other two as well.

Hey, Cho: :-)

Nice to see you, too!

I just don't run my mouth as much these days. ;-) Keeps me out of trouble --
    well, keeps me out of so much trouble. :-)

Thanks for the congrats and hope everyone is well and hearty!

Thanks, Scott. :-) Yep, Lantios's note made my day.

Jan

Post edited by Jan19 on