New Release: Genesis Generation X2 (upgrade ends soon) [Commercial]

Comments

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,897

Yeah, I'm thinking the exact same thing. I'm really looking forward to this product but I'm starting to think that it's not going to get done.

I think we will see the new plugin soon. DAZ Studio got some big changes lately and probably Dimension3D is dealing with some new feature.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,303
    Imago said:

Yeah, I'm thinking the exact same thing. I'm really looking forward to this product but I'm starting to think that it's not going to get done.

I think we will see the new plugin soon. DAZ Studio got some big changes lately and probably Dimension3D is dealing with some new feature.

You may be right, but the last evidence we have for anything Dimension3D did was a couple of releases back in November for Poser's new version.

• Havos said:
    Imago said:

You may be right, but the last evidence we have for anything Dimension3D did was a couple of releases back in November for Poser's new version.

When G2M came to store was november, the new Genesis Generation X2 came to store four months after in march. We get G3M in novembre 2015, so I bet march or april 2016 for  G3 add-on.

• If you can extrapolate like that about it, it seems plausible.

That said some input from the vendor would be more re-assuring.

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    GiGi_7 said:
    Havos said:
    Imago said:

When G2M came to store was november, the new Genesis Generation X2 came to store four months after in march. We get G3M in novembre 2015, so I bet march or april 2016 for  G3 add-on.

I assume Dimension3D is probably working hard at it. Maybe it's not a straight forward thing to develop considering the changes between G2 and G3. G1 to G2 might have been easier because it didn't have the new facial bones like G3. I'm just guessing here. If a GenX3 wasn't possible then I don't see why the vendor wouldn't have told us by now. It's not a vendors fault if DAZ has broken continuity so much that it's not possible for a pugin to be updated anymore. Nevertheless, I'm just as impatient for the update as anyone. I've loads of characters to convert so the sooner the better! 

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

Not just facial bones. There was also a major change in the poly count. Gen4 had a lot of polys. Genesis radically reduced it. G2 added a couple of thousand, and G3 has reduced it again even lower than Genesis. G3 is remarkably low poly compared to gen4, and the polus go in different directions iirc. It's going to take a fair bit of engineering to get the scripts to be able to line things up and have them read acceptably. The plugin as it stands goes all the way back to gen3. 

After all, the developer probably needs to be able to make *all* the previous versions apply to the new one before turning it loose. It's not going to fly well if he says "Okay you can move Genesis 1&2 and gen3 character morphs to G3, but not gen4 shapes". They *all* need to work, and they are all coming from different places.

edited February 2016
    Superdog said:
    GiGi_7 said:
    Havos said:
    Imago said:

I assume Dimension3D is probably working hard at it. Maybe it's not a straight forward thing to develop considering the changes between G2 and G3. G1 to G2 might have been easier because it didn't have the new facial bones like G3. I'm just guessing here. If a GenX3 wasn't possible then I don't see why the vendor wouldn't have told us by now. It's not a vendors fault if DAZ has broken continuity so much that it's not possible for a pugin to be updated anymore. Nevertheless, I'm just as impatient for the update as anyone. I've loads of characters to convert so the sooner the better! 

GenX only transfers morphs, not expressions, so I don't think the extra facial bones are an issue at all. Bones effect the posing of the mesh, not the morphing of it, although an extreme facial morph might mean changes to the facial weightmaps, though I do not know if GenX could handle that. 

The problem Jodel touched on is likely to be a bigger issue, ie lower poly count. Some of these lost polys are in the eyes, and that could cause problems with some transferred morphs. Most of the morphs I have moved to Gen 3 from Gen 2 using the transfer utility the eyes end up messed up to some extent.

Post edited by Havos on

Actually, GenX does a great job of transfering expressions, too. At least the old gen4 sort that were on/off presets. It puts them on dials so you can actually control how much of them you were using. Or combine them.

But yeah, I don't know that it would touch the G3 facial rig.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,754
    GiGi_7 said:
    Havos said:
    Imago said:

Not to mention that we only just got the G3M preset for reality, which would certainly take less time to create than the GenX upgrade. 

Stupid question time - my runtimes are finally getting a bit too big and I'm getting ready to migrate/remove a bunch of content.  I have a bunch of V4 and V3 characters that I've already transferred to Genesis via GenX, so... am I correct in assuming that removing the original V4/V3 versions won't have any effect on the GenXed versions? 

Not the slightest, to the best of my knowledge. GenX stores your ported morphs in the Actor portion of the Parameters pane. Doesn't call on the original character files, or their runtimes at all. Not once you've ported them.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Hoping to hear something soon from D3D on progress for G3, it's been awhile since any mention of compatibility with G3...I think maybe back in November?

Stupid question time - my runtimes are finally getting a bit too big and I'm getting ready to migrate/remove a bunch of content.  I have a bunch of V4 and V3 characters that I've already transferred to Genesis via GenX, so... am I correct in assuming that removing the original V4/V3 versions won't have any effect on the GenXed versions? 

Of course if you acquired another V3/V4 character and wanted to move that with GenX, then you will need the original version. Given that the base V4 etc figures do not take up much space anyway, you might want to leave them in. You would also need to leave the morphs++ packs in place for the same reason. Likewise, if you are still using the skins of those older chars, you will need to leave them in place, since Gen X transfers the morphs, but the skin textures will still use the same image files from the original products.

Havos said:

Of course if you acquired another V3/V4 character and wanted to move that with GenX, then you will need the original version. Given that the base V4 etc figures do not take up much space anyway, you might want to leave them in. You would also need to leave the morphs++ packs in place for the same reason. Likewise, if you are still using the skins of those older chars, you will need to leave them in place, since Gen X transfers the morphs, but the skin textures will still use the same image files from the original products.

Oh sure, I wasn't going to get rid of the base figures.  But at this point I have hundreds of pre-Genesis characters in my runtimes and I can't remember the last time I used any of them except as sources for morphs and textures.       

I'm sorry for any confusion, but DAZ insisted on updating GenX1 together with GenX2 just for some installer reasons with DIM. Just ignore the GenX1 update, or be sure to install the GenX2 update last, otherwise the GenX1 update will uninstall GenX2.

I will do Genesis 3 support for both female and male version, but I will wait for the release of the male version. The Genesis 3 support will require to update all GenX add-ons, so I don't want to do this twice in a short time. I haven't investigated in depth, but I don't expect major problems to transfer morphs from/to Genesis 3 with GenX. Transferring automated adjustments for joints may be a bit tricky, and of course Genesis 3 expressions based on the face joints will not be transferrable.

There will be no GenX3 plugin, but there probably will be an update for GenX2 to deal with some new features of Genesis 3.

I am wondering if there is more to the creation of this plugin to transfer to G3 than D3D thought and that's why it is taking so long? I have been putting off transfering to G2 because I wanted to do G3 instead and waiting for this plugin and the stable release of DS 4.9 but it would be nice to know if this is still going to happen or if GenX has reached the end of the line due to the changes of G3

• siocsioc Posts: 299

Kharma said:

I am wondering if there is more to the creation of this plugin to transfer to G3 than D3D thought and that's why it is taking so long? I have been putting off transfering to G2 because I wanted to do G3 instead and waiting for this plugin and the stable release of DS 4.9 but it would be nice to know if this is still going to happen or if GenX has reached the end of the line due to the changes of G3

@Karma : Like everybody I want it asap, anyway, coding, testing, proofing, etc. such software is not that easy and is time consuming and take a big amount of time to bring to a good enough quality to be sold.

Without talking about the mesh poly-thing, just the transfert testing and result prooffing... What a work...

@Dimension3D : we understand it's much work but could we have a dev status ? ;)

sioc said:

Kharma said:

@Karma : Like everybody I want it asap, anyway, coding, testing, proofing, etc. such software is not that easy and is time consuming and take a big amount of time to bring to a good enough quality to be sold.

Without talking about the mesh poly-thing, just the transfert testing and result prooffing... What a work...

@Dimension3D : we understand it's much work but could we have a dev status ? ;)

Yes it would be great to hear either an "I am working on it but it will take longer than I thought"  or "It's impossible and GenX2 has reached the end of the line"

Well... he's alive, but he seems to have been focused on a bunch of Poser products as of late, one of the few vendors to actually take any interest in the new renderer for Poser 11.  Personally, I think that Superfly was D.O.A. but, then again, I have no idea how well GenX actually sells versus (yet another) Skin Shader system. 

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

Need.

Will buy.

Is possible? If so, when?

Please and thank you! :)

I personally feel that GenX for Genesis 3 is even more important than for Genesis 2, since shape transfer of head shapes via the Transfer Utility does not work very well at all, and moving shapes between G3F and G3M is more difficult than G2F and G2M due to Genesis 3 using different meshes for the male and female models.

• I quite agree, but the lack of input from the vendor makes it seem unlikely. sad

edited April 2016

Sorry. Wrong information, can't delete, have removed statement.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • I quite agree, but the lack of input from the vendor makes it seem unlikely. sad

The vendor did recently post that the Genesis 3 upgrade/expansion was currently being worked on - I thought it was in this thread but apaprently not.

That's what I had thought as well. The post was within the last month.

• Thanks for the information & link.

Nice to know that we should be seeing it done.

smiley

• Seriously, I now wonder if this is going to happen at all.

sad

• 3delinquent3delinquent Posts: 355

Patience young Jedi.

• Patience is all very well if you know that progress is being made.

indecision

• em53em53 Posts: 32

You need not be patient much longer. Updated GenX2 files in DIM today, file dates are 6/3/2016. The addon for Genesis 3 should not be much longer.