Quixel & Daz Studio

Has anyone used Quixel with Daz Studio & Iray? Courious about both results & workflow experiance.

Comments

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited March 2016

Here a texture pack I'm doing at the moment I used Quixel to do it and got some good results.

Main.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 427K
    Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited March 2016
    Apuat said:

Has anyone used Quixel with Daz Studio & Iray? Courious about both results & workflow experiance.

I haven't tried the metals, but I used Quixel to texture a wood base for a figurine.  The maps worked very well. 

Your renders look good, midnight stories.   The metal has shine.  If my metals get shine, then I'm happy with the pbr engine. :-) 

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited March 2016

I guess the only thing I still don't like in Quixel is you have to be super smart with the UV so the seams don't show. But you can paint on them plus paint the masks as well.

Over all I'm happy with Quixel. The cotton on the suit worked well to!

Mil-Front-Closeup.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 406K
    Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • Nice work!

Substance Painter and Substance Desinger now have integraded the iray renderer.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited March 2016

I guess the only thing I still don't like in Quixel is you have to be super smart with the UV so the seams don't show. But you can paint on them plus paint the masks as well.

Looks good. Regarding the seams, create a color id map and add padding to it's bake (I use about 16px padding). That way your texture will automatically extend beyond the UVs and using the fix seams button in 3dO will do what it's supposed to.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • fasttam said:

Nice work!

Substance Painter and Substance Desinger now have integraded the iray renderer.

Yes I've got them both to I haven't tried Substance Painter V2 yet but it's on the list. There were some issues with the normals coming out in reverse but I think that's fixed now.

You can do more in Substance Painter but Quixel has a slightly better look with it's metal and roughness maps. But not much between them!

• Vaskania said:

Looks good. Regarding the seams, create a color id map and add padding to it's bake (I use about 16px padding). That way your texture will automatically extend beyond the UVs and using the fix seams button in 3dO will do what it's supposed to.

Yes I saw that button fix seams but I didn't have a need to use it as there were no seems so things like Mech4D PBR shaders will work well with the suit. I will give that fix seams a go next project. Cheers

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

never heard of quixel.  thought it was the figure from rdna 

http://quixel.se/
    Scan based PBR texturing. In Photoshop

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109

guess the only thing I still don't like in Quixel is you have to be super smart with the UV so the seams don't show. But you can paint on them plus paint the masks as well.

Yes, I have to add some padding to the ID map.  :-)  It's annoying on things like the Morphing Cloak, which don't have separate islands for all texture zones.  I remember trying to texture that w/Quixel, but it wouldn't work well because there'd be a seam between the cloak and the trim.  Quixel has some wonderful metals though. 

• ApuatApuat Posts: 21

WOW thanks all! Midnight_stories love what you've done with Quixel & I'm glad you discussed substance because I was wondering how they compaired to each other.

• ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 167

I am using quixel with Carrara and absolutely loving it, no problems with seams either.

• NelmiNelmi Posts: 38

Hi, I bought Quixel last week but creating the Color Id maps is a problem. What software can I use or something that is not complicated. I only want to create the Id maps. I must add that I do not do modeling. I re-texture current objects that in most cases have been UV mapped already.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I think you can use DAZ Studio to make the Color ID Maps.  Like for Skin you would select all the skin surfaces and color them a shade you like, Nails do the same, etc... make sure your figure is set to Base and all other dials that create a higher resolution are turned down to zero and export that figure in it's natural T state and you SHOULD have a color id ... I know I can also import a figure into Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro and get the same results.  I think one of the tutorials on how to make Color ID maps from the Qixel site mentions that program.

Here is the link to the tutorials: http://quixel.se/tutorials/

Scroll down and look for DDO Painter: Color ID Primer (Pt 1) and (Pt 2)

• smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275

Hi, I bought Quixel last week but creating the Color Id maps is a problem. What software can I use or something that is not complicated. I only want to create the Id maps. I must add that I do not do modeling. I re-texture current objects that in most cases have been UV mapped already.

As you have Photoshop you can use the UV template to create Id-map. No modeling !