Fern Lake & Through The Woods (Commercial)

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited March 2016

Welcome to the amazon river cheeky

animation is loading

Post edited by Chohole on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

Amazing set.  Looking forward to this for sure. 

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Szark: Uh, why shouldn't there be? It's a great way to capture the effect of silt or algae or whatever.

I should have phrased it better. I can get the same results without using SSS so I do spologising for assuming. But I keep getting verbally slaped for derailing threads so I will stop there. :) The important thing is it looks good. :)

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309

in addition to what Szark suggested, make sure you have 'photoreal' mode on,in interactive mode the shadows always seem to be sharp,photoreal has nice soft shadows 

all the renders are done using the Iray sun/sky system

Stefan,

These are your best sets yet. The foliage looks amazing.  I will look forward to inflicting further abuse on my poor credit card when they come out.

Is the lighting included with the sets?  It really brings out the best in them.

Cheers,

Alex.

Stefan,

I must be doing something wrong. Every time I dabble in Sun-Sky lighting, I always end up with very harsh, bright lighting with relatively hard-edged shadows.  It looks nothing like the soft, lush lighting in your demo renders.  Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Alex.

Stefan,

Photoreal is on, I think the solution is to explore haze and Pete's other suggestions.

Cheers,

Alex.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309
    Szark said:

Haze will dull the shadows and the sun's intensity. Higher you go the less intense the sun is.

Sun Disk Scale: bigger will make for softer shadow and same in reverse This is same for most lights in Iray and other unbiased render engines.

Having Cuastics on, seems to me and others here, gives better light bounce etc I have seen a vast improvemet in this regard with Casutics on but it does increase render times. I don't know if Stefan has it on or off. I guess he might tell us. :)

Pete,

Many thanks for the suggestions, I will do some experiments (cue mad scientist's evil laughter).

Cheers,

Alex.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

OK Stoney I have some questions for you angel

I thought I'd study the 3Delight terrain shader in DS for clues as to how to tile the layers with the masks in Carrara but my surface parameters in DS all have question marks!!!!!!

<?

Carrara does layers and I can stick each texture in a layer and the corresponding mask map in mask channel and I can use inagoni baker to bake a map for octane but no idea how many times to tile the textures.

they must be tiled as too big not and the fact DS surface has odd question marks suggests they are but in a shader brick maybe?

it loads fine in Carrara otherwise and looks good in octane just need to sort out that terrain surface.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160

try opening the material in shader mixer to get an idea of what it's doing

edited March 2016

TY

but if I cannot solve it I guess I can load just the terrain and render a top view as a map if all else fails cheeky

DS prob has a way to bake maps too if only I knew how

DS iray looks good

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

OK I popped a 8000 x 8000 3Delight top view render on it in Carrara for Octane

looked at shader mixer and eeeek

tried baking too but that never does anything

it's really not made for carrara so I'm not much help there,

looks like you've lost more than half of the vegetation/trees with using it in carrara,remember all the trees in the Daz Studio are instanced so they wont be exportable

I am aware of that

and the instances too will work on that after cheeky

I did actually get it for DAZ studio as already have many nice Howie Farkes scenes for Carrara all of them in fact!

but being me just HAD to try

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Can i clarify - do the instances come across into Carrara (and you have thinned things out for rendering in Octane), or would these need to be recreated in Carrara. The sets look really nice, but if they don't work in Carrara, I ain't buying.

they won't export to carrara, it was created to be used in Daz Studio

The names do so you could drag objects to browser then to the instance in scene manager if you wished or use replicators.

is not bad sparse, I just rendered as is out the box is a very light load, replicating could make as lush as you wish and even use the masks from the terrain shader for distribution.

I rather like the treeline panoramas to use with other sets too like I do Merlin's Wild borders one.

I will certainly use his trees too in Carrara scenes with Octane.

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 827

*Trudges off to bank for a loan.

These are absolutely beautiful images.

*waits patiently in line behind Kismet....

*joins in the line for bank loans*

• This one jumped in my cart before I could even blink!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

GADDAMMIT.
    Well, so much for my May budget...

(also picked up Urban Sprawl 2, finally)

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

This one jumped in my cart before I could even blink!

Your not alone smiley

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    PhilW said:

Can i clarify - do the instances come across into Carrara (and you have thinned things out for rendering in Octane), or would these need to be recreated in Carrara. The sets look really nice, but if they don't work in Carrara, I ain't buying.

I suspect Instances were added to DS after Carrara's .duf importer was done, so it's really down to Daz to add support (and yes I have raised a ticket!) It isn't that  Carrara couldn't handle the tech after all.

Even so, although you don't get the actual instances, the metadata is still imported, and so  it's just a matter of Cmd/Ctrl-D on the master and bung in the YYZR numbers. There's only 4 or 5 instances of each, so it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so . . .

• jakkujakku Posts: 91

Amazing! Thank you Stonemason! :)

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

THis one didn't just jump in my cart, it pretty much checked out the payment by itself as well...

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

Are there fixed tree models in the scene.dufs as well as the listed props? Only one live tree is mentioned on the "Through the Woods" page.

First render...

Lake chat.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    PhilW said:

I suspect Instances were added to DS after Carrara's .duf importer was done, so it's really down to Daz to add support (and yes I have raised a ticket!) It isn't that  Carrara couldn't handle the tech after all.

Even so, although you don't get the actual instances, the metadata is still imported, and so  it's just a matter of Cmd/Ctrl-D on the master and bung in the YYZR numbers. There's only 4 or 5 instances of each, so it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so . . .

Thanks, Tango (and others), that is helpful.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294
    edited March 2016

First render...

Nice, but I would have preferred to have seen a render without use of DOF, as all the nice details of the background scenery have been blurred out.

Post edited by Havos on
    I go where the art takes me. :) I'll try another in a bit.

i like it with the DOF the focus is on characters .. it is not landscape render what would be different story ... right camera response to situation is important so keep it up 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294
    MEC4D said:

i like it with the DOF the focus is on characters .. it is not landscape render what would be different story ... right camera response to situation is important so keep it up 

In another thread I might agree (though I confess to not being a fan of DOF in any render), however in this thread I was hoping to see some renders of this set by lesser mortals than yourself and Stonemason.

I understand .. you just want to see the set rendered flat by customers to see all details of it.. no problem

Havos said:
    MEC4D said:

In another thread I might agree (though I confess to not being a fan of DOF in any render), however in this thread I was hoping to see some renders of this set by lesser mortals than yourself and Stonemason.

I'll just rerender it without DOF for you, Havos. ;)