Fern Lake & Through The Woods (Commercial)

Comments

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660

Beautiful work! Can't wait for them. 

• JQPJQP Posts: 510
    "If he doesn't include a 3DL version, I'd point out that in most cases it's really not that hard to convert Iray to 3DL (the exceptions are anything highly driven by metallic flakes, top coat, or different tiling of different channels)" OT: is there any way to convert Iray shaders to 3DL? I've written Iray off as too slow for my current rig, but all the Iray shader packs out there are making me a bit green. What I've read says "no," but I'd love to be wrong.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    JQP said:
    "If he doesn't include a 3DL version, I'd point out that in most cases it's really not that hard to convert Iray to 3DL (the exceptions are anything highly driven by metallic flakes, top coat, or different tiling of different channels)" OT: is there any way to convert Iray shaders to 3DL? I've written Iray off as too slow for my current rig, but all the Iray shader packs out there are making me a bit green. What I've read says "no," but I'd love to be wrong.

Shaders are iffy -- chances are they won't transfer,  Products that don't have complex shaders should convert pretty well except for things like metals.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I've actually found it pretty easy, most times.

Now, it doesn't necessarily convert RIGHT, but if you keep a copy of your original shader, it's not that hard to plug stuff back in and get decent results. It helps if you 'get' 3DL glossy/specular, too.

Tips:

Use UberSurface (or UberSurface2, if you have it)

Bump/Displacement/Normals should convert, but you are likely to have to toggle them on (they convert to 'off' a lot of times, but the maps and stuff should be in there). Be sure to turn on Trace Displacement, it might switch to off, too. (if you have displacement)

Glossiness/specular function mostly like they do in Iray. I haven't found it terribly hard to spitball it. Specular color in 3DL ~= Glossy color in Iray.

'Proper' metals should be managed by Raytraced Reflection. You have Reflection strength, color, and roughness, which are pretty much like metallicity, glossy color when metallicity is high, and glossy roughness when same.

UberSurface also has translucency and SSS, which operate mostly similar.

The big problem is tiling. If you have maps that tile differently, that doesn't work in most 3DL shaders.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

all the renders are done using the Iray sun/sky system

Stefan,

These are your best sets yet. The foliage looks amazing.  I will look forward to inflicting further abuse on my poor credit card when they come out.

Is the lighting included with the sets?  It really brings out the best in them.

Cheers,

Alex.

Stefan,

I must be doing something wrong. Every time I dabble in Sun-Sky lighting, I always end up with very harsh, bright lighting with relatively hard-edged shadows.  It looks nothing like the soft, lush lighting in your demo renders.  Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Alex.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Haze will dull the shadows and the sun's intensity. Higher you go the less intense the sun is.

Sun Disk Scale: bigger will make for softer shadow and same in reverse This is same for most lights in Iray and other unbiased render engines.

Having Cuastics on, seems to me and others here, gives better light bounce etc I have seen a vast improvemet in this regard with Casutics on but it does increase render times. I don't know if Stefan has it on or off. I guess he might tell us. :)

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790

Oooooh, that's what I need :)

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160

in addition to what Szark suggested, make sure you have 'photoreal' mode on,in interactive mode the shadows always seem to be sharp,photoreal has nice soft shadows 

all the renders are done using the Iray sun/sky system

Stefan,

These are your best sets yet. The foliage looks amazing.  I will look forward to inflicting further abuse on my poor credit card when they come out.

Is the lighting included with the sets?  It really brings out the best in them.

Cheers,

Alex.

Stefan,

I must be doing something wrong. Every time I dabble in Sun-Sky lighting, I always end up with very harsh, bright lighting with relatively hard-edged shadows.  It looks nothing like the soft, lush lighting in your demo renders.  Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Alex.

• LintonLinton Posts: 541

Gorgeous zones, love the details and the lighting.

Add-ons I'd love to see for use with this include clouds of bugs, gnats, moths, or fireflies.

And these would make some epic Jurassic level dino stomping grounds!

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited March 2016

No that was not commercial team work , it was friends helping each other a little, no money involved and you will have beautiful surfaces on this set like no other before and accurate for Iray PBR rendering

as this most beautiful set deserve the best , it render insane fast you will be surprised with just 300 iteration you already good . It is magical !

here my beta test renders ( I hope Stefan don't mine that I show you )

The 2 first renders are with Sun-sky only , the last one with HDRI light

it was in the very early stage when I edited the values on the base shaders created by Stonemason ,  mostly edited just water and plants right values 

A Stonemason set with Iray shaders by Mec4D? Wowwwwww.    

I know a lot of PAs don't want to team up because the profits are split, but look at what can be created when they do.

stefan-lake-animation-frame3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 514K
    stefan-lake-animation-frame2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 909K
    stefan-lake-animation-frame.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 857K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

Great models, materials and lighting. Superb. Like photos.

The water is enclosed but it use volumetric refraction  PBR water shader ( very fast rendering )  so in this case no matter as long there is any 3D ground behind it ... any volumetric shader will create volume even on a single plane .

The magic here is that how deeper the water get how less you can see the ground as the particles keep the photons from hitting the floor .. like in real world with a murky or dirty water

Szark said:

The Water, is it a single plane or a 3D enclosed mesh?

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited March 2016

"plus obj's included for import to other engines"

Thank you! 

Last night I was poaching trees from every set of yours I own, from US2 to Cloud Temple to Abandoned City to the Enchanted Forests, because you're one of only a handful of modellers (Orestes Graphics, E-Arkham, and a couple of others) who seems to make a point of creating FAST rendering trees. And I was wishing you'd make something like a simple tree/shrub pack. But these sets will be gorgeous. :)

Being a Poser user, I'll miss out on the lovely shaders. But fortunately Caisson and Colm have made some great shaders for Poser. So with the obj's it should work out very well. Look forward to seeing them in the store.

Edit: But you might want to edit your posts: you appear to have mistakenly uploaded one of your photo references. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/6d/fa2381973bef0a65a1469e421408c3.jpg

:D

Post edited by Velvet Goblin on

not sure I'd call any of those older trees fast rendering, it's really only in the last year or two that I've started making trees that are all geometry based and make no use of transparency maps.the transparency is what makes most trees render so slowly,and yes,shrubs and smaller plants are on the to-do list 

"plus obj's included for import to other engines"

Thank you! 

Last night I was poaching trees from every set of yours I own, from US2 to Cloud Temple to Abandoned City to the Enchanted Forests, because you're one of only a handful of modellers (Orestes Graphics, E-Arkham, and a couple of others) who seems to make a point of creating FAST rendering trees. And I was wishing you'd make something like a simple tree/shrub pack. But these sets will be gorgeous. :)

Being a Poser user, I'll miss out on the lovely shaders. But fortunately Caisson and Colm have made some great shaders for Poser. So with the obj's it should work out very well. Look forward to seeing them in the store.

Edit: But you might want to edit your posts: you appear to have mistakenly uploaded one of your photo references. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/6d/fa2381973bef0a65a1469e421408c3.jpg

:D

yes gorgeous!, I really like the setup for that night scene too,I have that saved as an empty scene ready for future renders,thanks again for your help :-)

MEC4D said:

No that was not commercial team work , it was friends helping each other a little, no money involved and you will have beautiful surfaces on this set like no other before and accurate for Iray PBR rendering

as this most beautiful set deserve the best , it render insane fast you will be surprised with just 300 iteration you already good . It is magical !

here my beta test renders ( I hope Stefan don't mine that I show you )

The 2 first renders are with Sun-sky only , the last one with HDRI light

it was in the very early stage when I edited the values on the base shaders created by Stonemason ,  mostly edited just water and plants right values 

A Stonemason set with Iray shaders by Mec4D? Wowwwwww.    

I know a lot of PAs don't want to team up because the profits are split, but look at what can be created when they do.

• father1776father1776 Posts: 982

looks great

MEC4D said:

The water is enclosed but it use volumetric refraction  PBR water shader ( very fast rendering )  so in this case no matter as long there is any 3D ground behind it ... any volumetric shader will create volume even on a single plane .

The magic here is that how deeper the water get how less you can see the ground as the particles keep the photons from hitting the floor .. like in real world with a murky or dirty water

Szark said:

Yeah I know that but haven't noticed when using Volumetric on a single plane it magnifies what is under water?? 

Volumetric has nothing to do with maginification, the refraction do , and the water in this set has both volumetric effect and refraction and that what I was talking about ;) 

let's don't disturb this thread with technical iray talk and focus on the set ! go over to my thread 

Szark said:
    MEC4D said:

Szark said:

Yeah I know that but haven't noticed when using Volumetric on a single plane it magnifies what is under water?? 

edited March 2016

It's ok MEC4D you misunderstand me...again. :) I know the difference between Refraction and magnification. If I wasn't rendering I would show what I mean.

I do like your renders though, the middle one is my fav, muddy water...love it.

Post edited by Szark on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790

As much as I love the realistic dirty water, can we have a more clear alternative too? As a big fan of HowieFarkes' Secret Lake scene I'm happy to have something like that for DAZ Studio now.

It wouldn't take much adjusting to make it clear Masterstroke. 

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861

Looks amazing! I'm just not sure whether my viewport can take it : D

Oh trust me it will , it take even on a CPU , it is not as heavy as you may thinking  

Toyen said:

Looks amazing! I'm just not sure whether my viewport can take it : D

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited March 2016

No that was not commercial team work , it was friends helping each other a little, no money involved 

That's nice, I only mentioned commercial team work because the combined work of two artists such as yourselves resulted in such an amazing product here. I've been saying for quite a while that you should be making the PBR shaders (and textures when possible) for as many PA products as you can handle because you're one of the very few here that truly understand how they work and how to create them.   :)

Post edited by SnowSultan on

Thanks Snow, I just made clarification then saw Stonemason reply to you after I posted  , and I can't agree more with you ;) 

No that was not commercial team work , it was friends helping each other a little, no money involved 

That's nice, I only mentioned commercial team work because the combined work of two artists such as yourselves resulted in such an amazing product here. I've been saying for quite a while that you should be making the PBR shaders (and textures when possible) for as many PA products as you can handle because you're one of the very few here that truly understand how they work and how to create them.   :)

I don't know what Mec4D's product will look like, but typically it's SSS and all you have to do is set the SSS weight lower (or remove it).

Tim if you are refering to the water making it clear there shouldn't be any SSS in the first place. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

Cath's pics look like photos yes

Szark: Uh, why shouldn't there be? It's a great way to capture the effect of silt or algae or whatever.

If you want crystal clear bottled water in the lake just set SSS value to zero and change the refraction color to white and that is , but remember that lake like this will never have that type of water with so much trees and leaves around it , it would be very soft ph slightly brownish type of water that change by the season , more murky in the beginning of summer and more brownish clear at the end