Creating Meta Data for NON DAZ products

RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,151
edited March 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi,

Here we go again. Even after the recent update I'm still quite frustrated with the changes.  I even tried the new way of creating meta data by making sure the target figure is in the scene and selected, selecting the items from the Conten Library and dragging them over to the Smart Content pane and then categorizing them in the popup.  While that does give me sort of, kind of, a way in which DAZ Studio will now "see" my stuff in the Smart Content pane the fact remains that the items are under some generic Local User section and I see no way to change the ICON that represents the product I've created.  Since I seem to get no where with any of the programmers or DAZ about why they went about this like that can someone at least show me how to make and install the ICON  so it will show up in place of the generic icon?  I've looked around the program, right clicked on anything and everything looking for a way to change that to something that represents the product to no avail.  This is really annoying and off putting to have no apparent way that I can find to change this one little thing.  I mean what's the deal with that?  You want more folks to addopt DAZ Studio, stop making it purely for DAZ products, we all don't JUST use DAZ products DAZ 3D.

Thank you,

Richard

Post edited by RAMWolff on

Comments

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

When I add Metadata to my items I make an icon (114 x 148) and then save as a .png, in the runtime/support folder with the same name as the Metadata files.

Hope this is what you meant.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,151

Can you show me your process of making the meta data Wendy, perhaps that will shed a bit more light on my own frutrating attempts. 

I've created a pose pack for DAWN from Hivewire called "Dawn's Mixed Poses".  I have it categorized, I THINK, properly.  I can easily take one of the icons that I always save out at 180 X 180 and crop and resize it the dimentions you mentioned but are you getting "Local User" when you create your own meta data?  If not then I'm def doing something wrong!

Thank you!

Richard

ScreenHunter_175 Mar. 13 13.18.jpg
    271 x 385 - 29K
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

It is a bit complicated for me to explain.

I was shown how to do it by another membr who was going to write a tutorial, but I don't think he's around much. There are several tutorials made by Daz members if you google for them.

I'll see if I can put somehing together for you, but it won't be until later in the week.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,151

It would be a great tutorial to share with us.  I know your one of the members that writes up some very well explained how too's so I can wait. no worries there.  I know you also tend to explain partially with images and that's always a great help to allot of us visual learners out there.  :-) 

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,098

I still just use the basic DAZ documentiation: 

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/packaging/tutorials/adding_metadata/start

Maybe there are some small differences in the way the latest DS is set up, but it seems to work.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,905

I've been thinking I might just start using tags. A lot faster and I trust it more. Heh.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,597

If a plugin developer with access to daz code could create a metadata creation tab that would be great. HINT HINT

• SnowMachSnowMach Posts: 12
    Renomista said:

Wow!  Great and helpful video!  Thanks so much for this!

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386

If a plugin developer with access to daz code could create a metadata creation tab that would be great. HINT HINT

+1

As a matter of fact I would even prefer some software tool or plugin that would help make a full Product with metadata and so be fully smart content compatible. I am quite sure DAZ uses such a tool to package their own products.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,597
    Erdehel said:

+1

As a matter of fact I would even prefer some software tool or plugin that would help make a full Product with metadata and so be fully smart content compatible. I am quite sure DAZ uses such a tool to package their own products.

I don't think Daz even let's it's own vendors use this software. I just want to be able to add my Poser related items that I use in Daz to smart content. I have items I don't want to have to dig for when I use them that are not from daz. Certain Items I like to have metadata for that can be added to zip so when I install it will be smart content capable.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,678
    edited March 2016

You can make a full product using the Content DB Editor, in the Content Library pane option menu. Don't do that with soemthing that is already a product, though, or any updates will wipe it out.

Edited because I had the wrong pane originally

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    edited March 2016

Not really thereis a lot of stuff you can't set AFAIK.

eg. create a ShopID and set a Release Date

Post edited by Renomista on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,678
    edited March 2016

If you have a look in the Scripting sampels Rob has a couple of scipts that will help: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#metadata (You can download and run these scripts as files.)

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

Thanks for the link.

is there any way to set/edit the release date, since this is often not correctly set with daz products and it would also nice to be able to set it for 3rd Party Products

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,160

Well, this thread seems to be quite old but anyhow thanks for the info. I do currently setup my runtime again and try to use metadata much more. So it was quite helpful.

One thing is no longer current though. Renomista mentioned that the preview picture needs to be 114x148. That's no longer necessary it seems. Found out with some newer products which showed a much higher resultion preview once hovering on the thumbnail. So instead of making a thumbnail I just used the main promo image from some Renderosity products. The image is automatically shown as thumb and big once hovered over. So you can save yourself some time. At least on a mac ;-)