daz to hex bridge stopped working

alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,100
edited July 2015 in Hexagon Discussion

earlier today I discovered I could select items ... send them to hexagon --- group them and and either pass them back to daz or export them as an object that came back as a single object with multiple surfaces...
---
now when I select stuff in daz and say send to hex... it opens hex and there's nothing there ... even doing a select all 
---
daz has been restarted, hex has been restarted...
---
WTF
--
okay... I can export with materials and open in hexagon...
then send back to daz.. nope
have to export to avoid all the morphing stuff
---
so in regards to the same
--
after using the material window to rename my surfaces ...
why does it always add def_surf_mat" to the export.
and can I delete it someout in daz

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on

Comments

• Have you tried sending them un-grouped.

When you say that there is nothing there, is the scene blank but items in the Scene Tree and Material tab. I've just tried this and DAZ Studio does not seem to work properly with IRAY mats, for me the prop is in Wireframe mode (actually the transparency is 100 - invisible). Do not take this bit wrong, have you tried using the "View All" icon, sometimes you can be in the wrong ratio so you are zoomed into nothingness. 

I've had def-surf-mat problems saving OBJ files cotaining groups, so I try to remember to upgroup everything before saving.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,100
    edited July 2015

I don't use the send any more.. I just export them from daz as objects and then export them from hex as objects,,, 
    but I did just find where the material renaming stuff is hidden in Max -- so I'll probably just use that... because I know it will be around and supported for a long time.

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on
  • StarLabzStarLabz Posts: 57

The same thing just happened to me.  It worked once and only once.  Stated tehre was material issues, but i closed it instead.  Restarted everything including reinstalling hex2.5....nothing.  WTF...

It worked once and now it wont work at all..  Thats really stupid.  even after a full reinstall, it should have worked. 

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

sorry to hear :(

hope this never happens to me...I use this every day. I do have the issue where it stops working for the session, but never permanantly.

• Did you contact customer support?

• I have both versions of the newest DAZ Studio, and Hexagon. I can export or send directly to Daz studio 32 bit but it will not work going to 64 bit.

• I'm working with 64 bit 

but it forced me to learn out to make max do it and max does it better...

• I send back and forth between Hexagon and DAZ Studio 4.8 64-bit without difficulty.

• I am >sometimes< getting an error message when trying to export a figure from Daz to Hex via the bridge...
    A friend suggested I update the GoZ bridge, and it worked...then stopped again, then I tried updating the GoZ briodge again, and it works again...

Just a thought. ;)

This was/is the error message I am getting:

Capture.JPG
    597 x 234 - 35K
  • I do have 2.5.1.79 .... as I recall it wasn't crashing or giving me an error message ... it just wasn't moving the items... 
    but I did learn out to use the materials in Max so it was a learning situation.

• I was looking at the Daz Studio 4.9 change log today.  The Daz Studio 4.9 change log has a bunch of entries talking about improvements in locating the Hexagon/Bryce executables when using the respective bridges.  So if you were having problems with the bridge locating Hexagon before, I suggest trying it again in Studio 4.9.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

My Studio-Hexagon bridge has gone all weird since this morning - sometimes it will open, but when it does, it is impossible to do anything without it freezing up.  I thought it may have been last night's Windows update and was getting ready to roll back, seeing these posts.  Remembered that I hadn't used the bridge after the last Studio update which I installed last week, so Daz must have broken it again.

Strangely enough, the bryce bridge is working again - I've had problems with that since forever and Daz keeps telling me they'll fix it in the next build - which they now seem to have done by messing up the Hex bridge!

• You're using Studio 4.9?

Nope - 4.8.0.5.9, but only installed last week.  Only use it on very rare occasions to test something or send a figure over to Blender, so don't bother very much with updates.

I've only just switched on this morning, so gave it another test - this time it opened Hex immediately, took forever to load Aiko then froze.  Seems that every time I test, it behaves differently.  Bryce bridge still working, though:)

• You need to use 4.9 to get the fixes discussed in the release notes.

I stopped being a beta tester for Daz a long time ago - therin lies only heartbreak:  Judging by the issues being raised in the Studio forum, 4.9 is a long way from being a stable release.

Quite appropriately, I'm at this moment downloading  an update for a product named "Inside the assylum" - which about sums up what is happening on the Daz front:)

• I'm not seeing anything wrong with 4.9 from my usage.  You have a choice: you can use old software and complain about the bugs that have been fixed, or you can use the newer software that has the fixes and get on with life.

I see people in here talking about their ancient version of Hexagon being unstable.  I don't have any sympathy for their complaining when they are intentionally using old versions of the software.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I'm not seeing anything wrong with 4.9 from my usage.  You have a choice: you can use old software and complain about the bugs that have been fixed, or you can use the newer software that has the fixes and get on with life.

I see people in here talking about their ancient version of Hexagon being unstable.  I don't have any sympathy for their complaining when they are intentionally using old versions of the software.

Hexagon hasn't had a new version in quite some time.

And I don't begrudge anyone wanting to wait for the actual release, instead of making the choice to use a known bug infested BETA (testing) version...

I'm not seeing anything wrong with 4.9 from my usage.  You have a choice: you can use old software and complain about the bugs that have been fixed, or you can use the newer software that has the fixes and get on with life.

Actually, the ancient versions, from before Daz took over Hexagon, were very stable - only thing was, they didn't have the bridge.  This was working fine up to a few weeks ago on the only version of Hexagon released in the past 5 years or so.  This was broken recently by Daz - possibly they fixed it with 4.9, which is supposed to be an RC, but in fact is very much in Beta.  I don't have the time or inclination to beta test unstable software - have been burnt too often doing this.

May be a good idea to get the facts before casting aspersions. 

• mjc1016 said:

Hexagon hasn't had a new version in quite some time.

And I don't begrudge anyone wanting to wait for the actual release, instead of making the choice to use a known bug infested BETA (testing) version...

I'm talking about the new version of Daz Studio which is at release candidate stage.  But fine, if you don't want FIXES for your bridge problems, there's nothing I can do about that.  That's a hell of your own making.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I'm talking about the new version of Daz Studio which is at release candidate stage.  But fine, if you don't want FIXES for your bridge problems, there's nothing I can do about that.  That's a hell of your own making.

A release candidate is NOT a release version and as such there is NO requirement for anyone to install it.  It is NOT an update to the software...it is a POTENTIAL update.

• I just wanted to share the good news I found in the release notes for people who've been having bridge problems.

Nothing is MAKING you install it.  It is free software, you can install it or not.  However, if you're having problems with the bridge complaining you have the wrong version of Hexagon, even though you don't, it sounds like they've fixed that problem in Daz Studio 4.9.  It's free.  You can avail yourself of the fix now if you want, or you can wait until it is officially released and avail yourself of the fix then.  Or you can stay on an older version of Daz Studio and never get the fix.  All the power is in your hands.  Your destiny is under your own control.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...ineresting, just ran a test and had no issue sending a model I've been working on to Daz 4.8.59 from Hexagon 2.5.1.79 through the bridge.

• Since the upgrade to 4.9 my Daz bridge fails. It doesn't even launch Daz when sending from Hexago, though Daz sends to Hexagon without any problems.

• I am having the same problem, Bought a new pc, upgraded to daz 4.9 and hexagon will not send to daz even though it shows in daz that the install plugin is ok.

I am having the same problem, Bought a new pc, upgraded to daz 4.9 and hexagon will not send to daz even though it shows in daz that the install plugin is ok.

Which did you install first, Hexagon or Studio?  When I was having a problem with the Bryce bridge and put in a support ticket, I was told to uninstall both, then install studio first and Bryce afterwards - apparently there is something about the bridge software that wants Studio installed first.  The advice never worked for me, but may be worth a try for you:) 

• Since the upgrade to 4.9 my Daz bridge fails. It doesn't even launch Daz when sending from Hexago, though Daz sends to Hexagon without any problems.

I just tried sending a primitive (cone) and a loaded model (the dachsund) from Hexagon to Studio 4.9 64-bit and had no problem.

Are you on Windows or Mac?

• I can't seem to use 'Send to Daz Studio' from Hexagon... and when I save the little tutorial building I made as an .obj and import it into Daz it comes up as completely blank except for one facet of the door having the texture of the walls! I've selected all the parts of the building in the scene tree, made sure I was in 'object' instead of plane or edge or something, and I click on send to Daz and it doesn't open Daz, never mind send anything, all it does is switch from selecting object mode to selecting plane mode. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and it's driving me a little nuts. I'm using Daz 4.9 and the Hexagon 2.5, and installed Hex well after Daz... and *sometimes* - every once in a while - I can send things from Hexagon to Daz. I sent the first thing I made, a vase, and that went fine. I don't think I did anything different and the darn tutorial fella just seems to la-de-da click the send button and away it goes just fine. :( 

I just tried sending a primitive (cone) and a loaded model (the dachsund) from Hexagon to Studio 4.9 64-bit and had no problem.

Are you on Windows or Mac?

I am a Windows user. As I said before Daz sends to Hexagon just fine, but Hexagon (And Bryce for that matter) do not send anything to Daz 4.9.

All working fine for me again since the ugrade to Studio 4.9 - it was broken and pretty random before then.  Best send in a support ticket - there seem to be so many things broken in 4.9 that Daz have put out a hotfix, something they never do.

I'm sure they would like to know the specifics of any problems you are having.