DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• 1) Are there any plans to add the ability to download products but not install them with DAZ connect so we can create a backup of products in the DAZ connect format?

I don't know but as an alternative you can download offline installers and then copy them to the Install folder when required.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    1) Are there any plans to add the ability to download products but not install them with DAZ connect so we can create a backup of products in the DAZ connect format?

I don't know but as an alternative you can download offline installers and then copy them to the Install folder when required.

Not for Encrypted content ...

• I meant to add "where available" laugh

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

The filter I miss the most is the ability to search by product name substring. Hiding old products I don't want to install would be nice, too, like you mentioned.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    Kerya said:
    1) Are there any plans to add the ability to download products but not install them with DAZ connect so we can create a backup of products in the DAZ connect format?

For encrypted content. (Actually for both encrypted and unencrypted content.) 

Using your browser, go to the product library from your account. Choose a product. Use the buttons in the attached image. 

SultryWalk.jpg
    983 x 666 - 162K
  • rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,171
    edited February 2016

1) Are there any plans to add the ability to download products but not install them with DAZ connect so we can create a backup of products in the DAZ connect format?

No. Download and install are one and the same as far a Daz Connect is concerned. For the purposes of backup, you can install, perform a backup, then uninstall. This can all be scripted, so it can be automated. Documentation on the scripting APIs is undergoing review and will be posted in the appropriate area of the Documentation Center in the near future.

The other option is to download the offline packages (*.sep) and the authorization files (*.sea) from the Product Library. Not as convenient, but still an option.

With regard to the comments about speed and its relation to volume, we've made a number of tweaks in just the last few days that significantly improve the speed of asset/product views (in all of the places that they show up within the interface). Expect to see some improvement in 4.9.1.x, and more in 4.9.2.x.

2) Are there any plans to add the option to hide products in DAZ Connect?

Yes, there are plans.

3) Are there any plans to add advanced filter options to DAZ connect?

Some advanced filtering already exists today and more is being added. The documentation of which is in progress. The Change Log (builds  4.9.0.42, 4.9.0.43, and 4.9.0.46) contains some detail on what is currently supported.

The following example, when copy/pasted into the Filter Field on the Products Page of the Smart Content pane, will cause products purchased between the dates of January 1, 2016 (@ 12:00:01 am) and January 31, 2016 (@ 11:59:59pm) to display in the Smart Content pane. Adjust as needed.

​date::pur::[2016-01-01T00:00:01,2016-01-31T23:59:59]

In the 4.9.1.x update (per comment in the Change Log for 4.9.1.19) you will be able to use one of the following examples for a dynamic date:

​date::pur::[%0_DAYS%,%1_DAYS%]
    ​date::pur::[%0_WEEKS%,%1_WEEKS%]
    ​date::pur::[%0_MONTHS%,%1_MONTHS%]
    ​date::pur::[%0_YEARS%,%1_YEARS%]

-Rob

Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • Richard,, what you means is, if the product is "Cateye suit,", then user can serch the product, input   c*  in serch window of smart content? 

it can not work so.. eg  I input c* for serching product with all in smart content.

but it only show 32 products.  

in content library>product >C> there are many products  which can not be shown in smart content, with C* serching.

and I can not see "Cateye suit" as serched products in smart content , at all.

next I input ca, or ca*  it not work, next i imput cat, it not work.  cate not work too.

if I imput "catey"  the product finally to be shown.

but these behavor is simply cause user miss serching. we feel, when input c  , it will show

at least all product, which name start "C".  

or I may miss something?  please teach me way how to serch product with 

wild card of product name, in "smart" content.   

I feel,, this simple serching tool  name become bad joke in my mind nowdays.

Sorry, I missed a vital bit of information - there needs to be a colon in front of the asterisk - c:*, ca:* etc. I've edited my post to fix this.

edited February 2016

Daz sometimes forgets to include all of the product's files in the "Product" assets. When that product is installed with Daz Connect, I no longer have access to the files in the Daz Studio Formats section. How can I access the missing files?

One example is PD Shader Kit 1. Several files in that product do not appear in the Product listing in the Content Library or in Smart Content. Where can I find them?

Edited to add another example. I just looked at Square Wristwatch for G2M and G3M, which I installed with Daz Connect. When I look at that product in Smart Content or even the Content Library, there are NO files at all associated with that product. How can I use that product at all?

King's Handman - same thing - NO files in product.

Post edited by barbult on

I just looked in Lost and Found. I have 1007 products showing up in Lost and Found. That is almost half of all products I own. If I look at Files in Lost and Found, it says I have 1156+. If I scroll to the end, with the sort by name A to Z, it doesn't even get past the names starting with "!", then it won't scroll any farther. How is this ever going to work?

If I sort by Product ID: Highest First, I'm finding lots of brand new products in Lost and Found. This is not a case of a bunch of old products not having metadata yet. This is an issue with brand new products being put into Daz Connect without complete and correct metadata. Square Wristwatch for G2M and G3M shows up in Lost and Found Products. When I look at that product in Smart Content or even the Content Library, there are NO files at all associated with that product. I can't use it at all.

My hopes for Daz Connect and the Librarian and new and improved Smart Content are being dashed. crying

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    barbult said:

I just looked in Lost and Found. I have 1007 products showing up in Lost and Found. That is almost half of all products I own. If I look at Files in Lost and Found, it says I have 1156+. If I scroll to the end, with the sort by name A to Z, it doesn't even get past the names starting with "!", then it won't scroll any farther. How is this ever going to work?

If I sort by Product ID: Highest First, I'm finding lots of brand new products in Lost and Found. This is not a case of a bunch of old products not having metadata yet. This is an issue with brand new products being put into Daz Connect without complete and correct metadata. Square Wristwatch for G2M and G3M shows up in Lost and Found Products. When I look at that product in Smart Content or even the Content Library, there are NO files at all associated with that product. I can't use it at all.

My hopes for Daz Connect and the Librarian and new and improved Smart Content are being dashed. crying

I just loaded this one and there are plenty of items there in Smart Content for this, Accessories / Arms / Lower is the most interesting looking category. Try running "Connect > Update Metadata..." from the top menubar and see if it is updated for you. If not, please let me know and I can flush your account's cache and that should fix it. 

I do see a few files for it in Lost and Found but remember that Lost and Found is Daz Connect's way of making sure you have access to all of the files that "smell" user facing from within Smart Content. Since Daz Connect products aren't currently easily browsable from Content Library it made sense to force those items into the Smart Content pane somehow. Looking through the items on newer releases many of them are just those "helper" items to give Content Library people reminders to select the correct item before applying presets and the such, they aren't particularly useful in Smart Content (because the helper items only show up when you have the correct item selected, for example) but the dumb program that builds these metadata files can't particularly tell them apart. I hope that explains it better.

edited February 2016
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    barbult said:

I just loaded this one and there are plenty of items there in Smart Content for this, Accessories / Arms / Lower is the most interesting looking category. Try running "Connect > Update Metadata..." from the top menubar and see if it is updated for you. If not, please let me know and I can flush your account's cache and that should fix it. 

I do see a few files for it in Lost and Found but remember that Lost and Found is Daz Connect's way of making sure you have access to all of the files that "smell" user facing from within Smart Content. Since Daz Connect products aren't currently easily browsable from Content Library it made sense to force those items into the Smart Content pane somehow. Looking through the items on newer releases many of them are just those "helper" items to give Content Library people reminders to select the correct item before applying presets and the such, they aren't particularly useful in Smart Content (because the helper items only show up when you have the correct item selected, for example) but the dumb program that builds these metadata files can't particularly tell them apart. I hope that explains it better.

I guess my account cache needs to be reset.

1) Connect->Update Metadata updated 108 products, but did not fix Square Wrist Watch. I still see no files for it in Smart Content Products, Smart Content Files Accessories > Arms > Lower, or Content Library Products. I have the same problem with no files for The King's Handman.

2) A new product I purchased 3.5 hours ago has not shown up in Available, even though it appeared in the DIM within minutes of purchase. I want to install with Daz Connect.

Edited to add: This computer suffered from database corruption durring the Beta phase. DAZ_Spooky gave me a script that I ran to try to fix it. It helped a lot, but I still saw strange things like duplicate items in Smart Content. I'm tempted to reset the database and start over, but I will wait a bit before I do that.

Square Wristwatch no files 2.JPG
    591 x 642 - 53K
    Square Wristwatch no files.JPG
    592 x 542 - 45K
    Square Wristwatch no accessories files.JPG
    593 x 1273 - 448K
    Kings Handman No files.JPG
    591 x 537 - 37K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • hey guys   i lost meny thinks  when upgrade  my DazStudio 4.8 to 4.9  ... is not  working    im very sad.......what to do ??  

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited February 2016

updated / edited several times to add the latest findings.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

For the moment I will consider DAZ connect as a continued service and trust there may be a notice in advance when products will not anymore be available for download. I will worry about making backups of Connect Products a bit further down the line.

rbtwhiz said:

Some advanced filtering already exists today and more is being added. The documentation of which is in progress. The Change Log (builds  4.9.0.42, 4.9.0.43, and 4.9.0.46) contains some detail on what is currently supported.

The following example, when copy/pasted into the Filter Field on the Products Page of the Smart Content pane, will cause products purchased between the dates of January 1, 2016 (@ 12:00:01 am) and January 31, 2016 (@ 11:59:59pm) to display in the Smart Content pane. Adjust as needed.

​date::pur::[2016-01-01T00:00:01,2016-01-31T23:59:59]

I was able to make products show up with copy and pasting the provided command.

I was also able to use a simpler version by leaving out the time.

date::pur::[2011-01-01,2013-01-31]

Result:

- - -

I run into one remaining issue when trying this out.

- cannot manually type [ and ] in the smart content search field

I am running an english language version of windows 10 pro 64 bit with a swiss german keyboard.

Normally I have to hit CTRL + ALT to type [ or ]

For some strange reason I cannot manually type [  and ] into the search field in the DAZ Studio smart content tab.

Typing [ or ] works everywhere else I tried (windows explorer, internet explorer, google chrome, word pad, etc. ) but I have not found a way how to make [ or ] show up in the DAZ Studio Smart Content search field.

1) Any ideas why manually entering [ and ] does not work for me just in the DAZ Studio Smart Content search field?

- - -

Can another user try manually entering [ or ] ?

Maybe this is a general issue or only an issue for some users with some keybord types that rely on ALT + CTRL for [ or ] input?

Is there an option that may block CTRL or ALT keyboard inputs in DAZ Studio?

- - -

search try v1003.jpg
    Post edited by linvanchene on
    Kerya said:

Using your browser, go to the product library from your account. Choose a product. Use the buttons in the attached image. 

Ok - this is NEAT!

But I do wonder how this should stop pirates? I mean, encrypted content is meant to make life harder for pirates. Now they just have to distribute those two files together ...

?????

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

Thanks RIchard, it work.  

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/interface/filter_field/advanced_filtering

is document of filter filed?  but I could not find your suggested way to use wildcard in filter field, or serch filterling.

(DAZ doucments in web,,  actually maze or jungle for me ^^; )

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Kerya said:
    Kerya said:

Ok - this is NEAT!

But I do wonder how this should stop pirates? I mean, encrypted content is meant to make life harder for pirates. Now they just have to distribute those two files together ...

?????

They only work on a computer which has logged in to your account at least once.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    Kerya said:
    Kerya said:

Ok - this is NEAT!

?????

Correct.
    Kerya said:
    Kerya said:

Ok - this is NEAT!

?????

Correct.

So, to use them on a new computer (when I get the time to put one together ...), I would have to log in with connect once to be able to install them.

In case of Daz3d barbecue, I would have to hope for the "pill" ...

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Kerya said:
    Kerya said:

Ok - this is NEAT!

?????

And you do need both the product, the .sep, and the authorisation, .sea, which is unique to you.

• Thanks RIchard, it work.  

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/interface/filter_field/advanced_filtering

is document of filter filed?  but I could not find your suggested way to use wildcard in filter field, or serch filterling.

(DAZ doucments in web,,  actually maze or jungle for me ^^; )

The link is long because it's a guide to the subject - it's on Install Manager, specifically the Reference Guide, in the section covering the Interface, for the Filter Field, the page on Advanced Filtering. You can read the URL as a breadcrumb trail. It's linked from the work-in-pregress note (the road marker cone) in the page linked from Rob's post because the filter field in DS needs similar description.

edited February 2016

The link is long because it's a guide to the subject - it's on Install Manager, specifically the Reference Guide, in the section covering the Interface, for the Filter Field, the page on Advanced Filtering. You can read the URL as a breadcrumb trail. It's linked from the work-in-pregress note (the road marker cone) in the page linked from Rob's post because the filter field in DS needs similar description.

Yeah,, I see what you pointing me,, then can you directly link me, about wild card with filter field, which discribe your way?

- c:*, ca:* etc

because I hope there should be another wild card too,  then I (not only me, but also other user) hope to save the link.

without it, I or some user can see your reply, but others can not find it, I feel.

actually it can improve some user serching way.

If it is already discribed as official doc,, teach me the link page please.

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

After reading Why are my custom categories missing after 4.8 database migration to 4.9? posted at Daz Studio Pro - FAQ I am wondering if DAZ Developers could reconsider some aspects of how metadata and smart content are working currently.

The Underlying Mechanisms:

One very important thing to understand is that User Data can (and will) be superseded by the installation (or update, or import, or migration) of Vendor Data, except for in very specific situations. To be clear, in the event of a collision between data elements defined by a user and data elements defined by a vendor, the data elements defined by a vendor will typically replace those defined by the user. It is also very important to understand that when Vendor Data for a product is installed (or imported, or migrated), all previously defined Vendor Data associated with said product is dropped entirely and the newly supplied Vendor Data is inserted in its place. This behavior is what allows a vendor (e.g., Daz 3D) to update incorrect or out-of-date metadata for a product regardless of the version that may currently be installed.

Metadata retrieved using DAZ Connect will always override installed one (or update, or import, or migration). This behaivor would not be a problem if all DAZ metadata was currently fixed and updated. That's not the case and even now with a dedicated librarian to review and fix the missing and deprecated product's metadata, this task still will take some long time to be concluded. My main concern in using DAZ Connect is the automatic retrieve of metadata, because, to me, is unacceptable that wrong or deprecated metadata override my fixed metadata, which I expended mucht time and work to get it done in the right way. So, is it possible to get an option to set off the automatic metadata retrieve or set it on-off selectively?

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

I have submited this as a feature request and asked some questions. Maybe some developre could answer this in the forum as the ticket is still open for long time.

I have noted that Studio now have new sub-categories for certain content types I would like to suggest that the labels for them get some different color to make them distinct from each other. Example:

We have now some sub-categories for Preset>Materials: 
    Preset>Materials>NVIDIA Iray 
    Preset>Materials>3Delight 
    Preset>Materials>LXM

The same happens for Preset>Shader: 
    Preset>Shader>MDL 
    Preset>Shader>3Delight 
    Preset>Shader>LXM

It would be nice if the labels get some coordinated color code. This could be useful when exploring a product in the Smart Content pane and could eliminate the sub-categories which have been created in the Default category. I think the addition of Iray sub-categories in Materials and in Shader was a bad move, since it makes the user to navigate deeper in the categories to get what he wants.

One last question: why make MDL and NVIDIA Iray, or 3Delight and RSL, as distinct sub-categories? I mean, I know they are not exactly the same thing, but for the users that is irrelevant, as what they need is get the correct material or shader for the render engine being used.

• The link is long because it's a guide to the subject - it's on Install Manager, specifically the Reference Guide, in the section covering the Interface, for the Filter Field, the page on Advanced Filtering. You can read the URL as a breadcrumb trail. It's linked from the work-in-pregress note (the road marker cone) in the page linked from Rob's post because the filter field in DS needs similar description.

Yeah,, I see what you pointing me,, then can you directly link me, about wild card with filter field, which discribe your way?

- c:*, ca:* etc

because I hope there should be another wild card too,  then I (not only me, but also other user) hope to save the link.

without it, I or some user can see your reply, but others can not find it, I feel.

actually it can improve some user serching way.

If it is already discribed as official doc,, teach me the link page please.

The documentation is still pending, or was. This is essentially, as I understand it, the PostgreSQL database search.

My troubles with Square Wristwatch and The King's Handman have been resolved by:

1. Connect > Update Metadata. (Yesterday many metadata updates were failing for me. Today they are succeeding.)
    2. Uninstalling the products with Daz Connect
    3. Reinstalling the products with Daz Connect.

I appreciate the hard work the Daz guys are doing to get the problems straightened out.

edited February 2016

Richard, thanks, I see.

then,, I know there is way to Up-date metadata from top menu,,or I can up-date meta-data individually too.

but do I need to use it, if I do not delete meta-data of DAZ  product?

because I believe, when I log in daz connect, DS should serch product, 

then if there were new meta-data in daz croud, it start to auto- update metadata.

(then user can not choose which meta-data of product will be overwritten or not, As MBusch said. maybe someuser need to un-install daz connect up-dated meta-data . for their reason. but we can not see clear,, which product meta-data was actually up-dated. (I do not install any DAZ connect item at current.

just install meta-data by DAZ connect)

I hope to know the way to check, which meta-data are up-dated in daz studio. it is auto-process, (after  log in daz connect)

and I checked log file, but there is no discription about succeed up-dated meta-data. only I can see count.

(yes today, meta-data up-date seems work well , then I got no failed meta-data.but If more user try to download item by DAZ croud,

actually it may cause more problem I think.  )

==================

or I need to check actuall / (daz connect) /data/meta directory to, check which product meta-data up-dated?

up-dated.PNG
    1059 x 901 - 192K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • edited February 2016

You know how there are buttons to "hide items I own" and to "only show PC+" items in the store?  A really useful button might be one to only show DIM-capable items or to hide Daz-Connect only items, since I will never, EVER, buy a DAZ-Connect only item.

Post edited by stmercy2020_9aea6b9c04 on
  • EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    edited February 2016

Does anyone have the same problem where the render settings are not saved with the scene? It keeps poping back to the default setting even when I just saved and reload the exact same scene with a complete new setting

- Update -

It turns out that the new 4.9 is completely ignoring the Iray general settings when saving the files, I set the render image to be full HD (1920*1080) and then save and reload, it gives me 720*460...

Post edited by EcVh0 on
    EcVh0 said:

Does anyone have the same problem where the render settings are not saved with the scene? It keeps poping back to the default setting even when I just saved and reload the exact same scene with a complete new setting

- Update -

It turns out that the new 4.9 is completely ignoring the Iray general settings when saving the files, I set the render image to be full HD (1920*1080) and then save and reload, it gives me 720*460...

It saves them for me. The dimensions of the Iray render are correct when I reopen a saved scene in DS 4.9.0.63. Do you have the option to save render settings with scene "checked" in Edit>Preferences>Scene?

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    barbult said:
    EcVh0 said:

- Update -

It saves them for me. The dimensions of the Iray render are correct when I reopen a saved scene in DS 4.9.0.63. Do you have the option to save render settings with scene "checked" in Edit>Preferences>Scene?

Yup it is ticked.

Funny tho, it seems that only changing the dimensions doesn't seems to call up the "save render setting" function or whatever in there code, when I change any other render settings (like rolling the f-stop) it saves the dimensions.