A RAM question

grpruettgrpruett Posts: 255
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

My dad had own a restaurant prior to 1999. It had closed down due to Missouri Botanical Garden buying the land and tearing it down for a parking lot. Anyway I'm currently recreating the restaurant in Daz. I already have excessive items within my Daz recreation, and I'm beginning to run into memory problems.

My question is, would turning my recreation into a big '.obj file help with memory?

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

It might help depending on a number of factors but it's easy enough to try and find out.
    In addition to that you can

• remove parts of the model that cant be seen in the final render

• lower your texture size on large textures that don't require lots of detail or textures that are further from the foreground (but don't delete the originals!)

• consolidate textures on models with texture atlas which works very well with OBJ's.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Additional, using DS4.5, make use of the cloning function to have multiple instances of the same object within your scene at a lower RAM footprint.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

You may also try to lower some geometry weight with Decimator in DS if you bought the plugin or do that with an external freeware after exporting to obj (that's what I do but only with some of the object that I know to be heavy)

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Ascania said:
    Additional, using DS4.5, make use of the cloning function to have multiple instances of the same object within your scene at a lower RAM footprint.

Didn't know DS4.5 could do that. Thanks !
  • tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

How much RAM have you got? Surely you would be better upping the RAM on your computer

I have 16Gb installed on Windows7 and have quite a complex piece of art on there at the moment.

DAZ is not so problematic with RAM as Bryce believe me... You can only use about 4Gb with Bryce being 32 bit...

That brings me to another point - If using Windows 7 64 bit then you caould use loads more RAM... 32 bit versions are limited I believe to 4Gb of RAM.