Symmetry Creep

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

I've noticed that when working with symmetry in Hexagon things seem to get less and less symmetrical the further away from the centre I get. Is there a symmetry creep in the Genesis figures, hexagon, or both?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I am not sure what you mean here?

Symmetry either works or ist doesn't. Are you saying that you can select a poly on one side with Symmetry on, and the equivalent poly on the other side is not selected?

If so, then you model is probably not Symmetrical any more. It is common enough to lose symmetry by forgetting to switch it back on again after using certain tools. If you don't have an incremental earlier save, then you may hve to slice your model down the centre, clone another half, and weld them together. Then symmetry should work.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

If you take a basic Genesis figure then use the displacement tool and start modifying one of the hands with symmetry on when you look at what has happened to the hand on the other side it's not the same. The farther away from the centre you get the more distortion there seems to be in the symmetry. Likewise I've found if you make clothing on one half of the Genesis figure and then clone it the other side doesn't line up perfectly.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I am not even sure that the Displacement brush is supposed to work with Symmetry, some tools don't Have you tried just moving vertices using soft selection, that should work.

You clothing model would need to be exactly in the centre to use the Clone Tool, and get it to create a perfectly placed second half.

There is a way to do it, but I can't remember off hand, it is a long time since I used Hexagon regularly. Have a look at where it is in 3D Space in the Properties panel.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

I am not even sure that the Displacement brush is supposed to work with Symmetry, some tools don't Have you tried just moving vertices using soft selection, that should work..
    I believe you are correct about the Displacement Brush, I only use points or Vertices when I make a morph and they work with Symmetry on.

I believe the Downloadable Tutorial File lists which tools are used with Symmetry.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Are the genesis figures actually symmetrical? Because either I've done something to mess up the symmetry of the base genesis figure or the figure itself isn't 100% symmetrical because when I imprort the figure into Sculptris and try to work with symmetry the program tells me the figure I'm working with isn't symmetrical and then builds a mutated figure that is.

edited December 1969

D'oh never mind.... it must have been a glitch in Sculptris. Symmetry seems to be working now.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

There do seem to be a couple of points in the shoulders that don't match up. This may well be related to your exploding morph in the other thread, if Sculptris is rebuilding the mesh to fix the symmetry.

edited November 2012

Damn..... Sculptris has some really nice sculpting tools, much better than Hex, but at least with Hex I can use symmetry with the displacement tools even if it isn't 100% accurate.

I guess I can just use Sculptris without symmetry and see if that fixes the problem. Meh, after all, nobody is perfectly symmetrical in real life anyways.

Or I wonder if I can track down which points aren't symmetrical in genesis and then make a symmetrical genesis morph to use in Sculptris?

Post edited by ghastlycomic on
    edited December 1969

Yup, symmetry creep was why the morph exploded. Sculpted the same morph more or less without symmetry and it worked perfectly.

Damn. I wish Sculptris would handle symmetry better, but then again it is just an alpha release.