July 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Portrait Rendering” – WIP Thread

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Here is my second WIP I think I will also be entering this one as well once the other is finished, any suggestions or comments welcome

Doggus Interuptus this morning.  I intended to comment on this image as well.

I like the background and overall colour palette.  Is she singing?  If she is do you have a microphone or even a hair brush she could use as a microphone? 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

Ok here is my WIP again I fixed some things like her morphs and skin also changed direction of the camera plus changed the pose and the background, I am still looking for suggestions and comments on this not ready to enter it yet.

I'm not sure how to fix it but that hat still looks like it is floating above her head.

I like your choice of background colour.  It allows all that red to really pop.

it is supposed to look like it is slipping off her head ( I will work on it more)

barbult said:

Ok here is my WIP again I fixed some things like her morphs and skin also changed direction of the camera plus changed the pose and the background, I am still looking for suggestions and comments on this not ready to enter it yet.

I'm not sure how to fix it but that hat still looks like it is floating above her head.

I like your choice of background colour.  It allows all that red to really pop.

Maybe it really is floating. Use the perspective camera (so you don't lose your real camera position) and rotate around,  looking from various angles. Is the hat to far to the front? If it is positioned correctly, it might be a lighting issue, preventing the hat from creating a realistic shadow. Do you have a lot of lights in your portrait?

Like I said to Kismet it is supposed to be slipping off her head, I have about 6 lights and a couple of them are red color to soften them a bit.

Here is my second WIP I think I will also be entering this one as well once the other is finished, any suggestions or comments welcome

Doggus Interuptus this morning.  I intended to comment on this image as well.

I like the background and overall colour palette.  Is she singing?  If she is do you have a microphone or even a hair brush she could use as a microphone? 

I do have a mic I can use on her I will add it and be back with the finished render!!!

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,447

Just felt like I could do better. The skin looked like a mediocre waxwork and the eyes were meh... the earrings were badly placed.  And it was too damn bright and unflattering.

What do you think? Better?

Sorry I haven't commented on everything. Some good work here.

There's postwork. Not a ton, but HDR toning and layering.  I just feel like tagging an image with "No Postwork" is like saying: I let the CVS lab do my film developing.

Just felt like I could do better. The skin looked like a mediocre waxwork and the eyes were meh... the earrings were badly placed.  And it was too damn bright and unflattering.

There's postwork. Not a ton, but HDR toning and layering.  I just feel like tagging an image with "No Postwork" is like saying: I let the CVS lab do my film developing.

I think you NAILED IT Evil it is spot on!!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

His skin looks much more natural in this one and the simpler dark background puts the focus squarely on him

• mal3Imagerymal3Imagery Posts: 710

Not entering in the contest, but I decided to make a portrait of the new fireman uniform ^^

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,253
    edited July 2016

@evilded777, yes, he's looking good! He's calling out to me to be cropped, to get rid of some of the extra black space at the top and maybe the left. Experiment and see if you agree.

Edit: I meant his left, our right side as we view it.

Post edited by barbult on
  • After much lighting adjustment, getting pretty close to what I initially envisioned.

night is the notion b.jpg
    579 x 938 - 310K
    barbult said:

@evilded777, yes, he's looking good! He's calling out to me to be cropped, to get rid of some of the extra black space at the top and maybe the left. Experiment and see if you agree.

Edit: I meant his left, our right side as we view it.

Thanks for the positive feedback, folks.

I was actually kicking over the idea of adding more empty space and adding a semi transparent profile shot, the way its is sometimes done in professional portraiture (okay, I've really only seen it done in kids' school photos...).

After much lighting adjustment, getting pretty close to what I initially envisioned.

This is much better.  We still really can't see her eyes, though.  What have you got for lights here? And what are the materials on her eyes like?

Not entering in the contest, but I decided to make a portrait of the new fireman uniform ^^

Brilliant. I love your sense of subtlety when it comes to effects.

Okay I think this is as far as I can take this one.  I tried moving the top arm down and re arranging but it just wasn't working in a way that looked right. I did darken it just a slight bit in the hopes of making it a bit more obvious that its her arm.

Not sure if you can tell the minor tweeks I did but I tried to bring her eyes and her lips out a bit more without being too obvious.

I don't think I said anything about this, Sonja... mostly because I just think its lovely.

One thing that I keep coming back to here in these threads is that no one seems to ask how or why someone someone did a particular thing.  Ok, maybe not so much why, that does happen, sometimes obliquely.  But not often does the "how" come up.

Shouldn't we?

Okay I think this is as far as I can take this one.  I tried moving the top arm down and re arranging but it just wasn't working in a way that looked right. I did darken it just a slight bit in the hopes of making it a bit more obvious that its her arm.

Not sure if you can tell the minor tweeks I did but I tried to bring her eyes and her lips out a bit more without being too obvious.

I don't think I said anything about this, Sonja... mostly because I just think its lovely.

Thank you very much!

One thing that I keep coming back to here in these threads is that no one seems to ask how or why someone someone did a particular thing.  Ok, maybe not so much why, that does happen, sometimes obliquely.  But not often does the "how" come up.

Shouldn't we?

I am always interested in the how.  I don't always understand it, but I'm interested lol.

That would belike giving a tutorial Evil, and I so am not ready for that part as of yet, most of us end up with a lucky mistake giggles.

edited July 2016

Here is yet another pose for this portrait she is holding the hat now and sort of offering it to you, I do not know if there is much farther I can go with this render but plz tell me what you all think.

A Lady In Red .png
    1500 x 2427 - 4M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • After much lighting adjustment, getting pretty close to what I initially envisioned.

This is much better.  We still really can't see her eyes, though.  What have you got for lights here? And what are the materials on her eyes like?

I generally use the Human Essentials for Iray package for skin surfaces, but the eyes here might be Victoria 7 (Iray). I have reduced the opacity of the cornea to about 10% to allow more color through, but am not sure what else can be done for dark brown eyes.

After much lighting adjustment, getting pretty close to what I initially envisioned.

I generally use the Human Essentials for Iray package for skin surfaces, but the eyes here might be Victoria 7 (Iray). I have reduced the opacity of the cornea to about 10% to allow more color through, but am not sure what else can be done for dark brown eyes.

What about the lights?

I will remain mum on Human Essentials, I've never used it.

I don't think its the cornea opacity that is the problem, its the lack of light in the eyes. They need some gloss, and some penetrating light.

Here is yet another pose for this portrait she is holding the hat now and sort of offering it to you, I do not know if there is much farther I can go with this render but plz tell me what you all think.

This looks good!  If you can move her eyes so she is looking at us and not to the side I think that will help an extra bit as well.  This hat gave me fits with posing as well.....

For help with getting your character to look at the camera, there is a group of scripts by SGAPPS, available at Sharecg.  Most of the scripts involve tranforming poses from one generation of figures to another (Generation 4 to Genesis, etc). But there is also one invaluable script I use all the time: Look At Camera, which will literally pose the head and eyes of your character (and even adjust the eyelids where possible) so that it is looking at the camera. Allows you to set percentages of bend, twist and side to side motion and percentages for the eyes.

I seriously use it in 95% of my renders, even if it is just for a tiny tweak.

What about the lights?

I don't think its the cornea opacity that is the problem, its the lack of light in the eyes. They need some gloss, and some penetrating light.

Switched to a different set of eyes ...

eye test.jpg
    579 x 938 - 344K

For help with getting your character to look at the camera, there is a group of scripts by SGAPPS, available at Sharecg.  Most of the scripts involve tranforming poses from one generation of figures to another (Generation 4 to Genesis, etc). But there is also one invaluable script I use all the time: Look At Camera, which will literally pose the head and eyes of your character (and even adjust the eyelids where possible) so that it is looking at the camera. Allows you to set percentages of bend, twist and side to side motion and percentages for the eyes.

This looks great. I'm going to go get it right now. Thanks!

This looks good!  If you can move her eyes so she is looking at us and not to the side I think that will help an extra bit as well.  This hat gave me fits with posing as well.....

I have never had such a ard time with hats I tell ya and those eyes of hers I have tried n tried to get them to look straight at the camera to no avail!!!! So I say she is looking at the person she is giving the hat to which I am assuming is a small child.

barbult said:

if you find it can you post the link Barbult plz n ty?

edited July 2016

What about the lights?

Switched to a different set of eyes ...

Those eyes are better. Now if you could just get a specular highlight in the eyes, I think you'd please evilded777. wink May be try Colm Jackson's freebie linked in his YouTube video description.

Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:

if you find it can you post the link Barbult plz n ty?

http://www.sharecg.com/v/76667/browse/8/script/updated-daz-studio-posing-scripts-now-for-g3f

I found it with a simple Google search for "ShareCG SGAPPS".

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited July 2016

So, I've been playing with bubbles in Blender.  I didn't like the fact that the one bubble product I have only had one bubble shape.  I'm still working on the background.  I have some ideas I'm playing around with in GIMP.  But, what do you think of the bubbles?  I messed them up just a little so I may have to go back into blender and make some adjustments, but they aren't too bad for a first try. I haven't really had all that much time to play with it.  Too many projects going on all at the same time.

MakennaAndToby03.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 526K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • RafmerRafmer Posts: 564
    edited July 2016

Quite a simple one, but I liked how it turned out. Noticed the theme of this month was portraits; so here it is.

portrait.png
    834 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Rafmer on
  • ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180

So, I've been playing with bubbles in Blender.  I didn't like the fact that the one bubble product I have only had one bubble shape.  I'm still working on the background.  I have some ideas I'm playing around with in GIMP.  But, what do you think of the bubbles?  I messed them up just a little so I may have to go back into blender and make some adjustments, but they aren't too bad for a first try. I haven't really had all that much time to play with it.  Too many projects going on all at the same time.

The bubbles are a cute idea and really fit with the image. 

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

I was going to Say the same thing about the eyes. That pose is interesting and unusual - makes me wonder why she is hiding behind the hat, or perhaps using the hat to protect personal space.