Brows

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I've had better luck changing the brows from Redirect Transforms (default) to Auto Follow Transforms. The brows look less....I dunno how to explain it...less "shaggy" and more uniform? ;)

Laurie

Old-Bruiser.jpg
    888 x 903 - 224K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995

Brows using LAMH for many figures coming to the DAZ store soon.

Kendall

D5-promo-edit-brownbrows.png
    875 x 625 - 659K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576

...yeah, but I have Garibaldi.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

I used the UHT2 product on the brows and they looked okay.  To be honest, I wasn't overly excited by the Oh My Brows look.  My regular brows look pretty good and these mostly just looked like monotone painted on brows.

I think I'll try it again and see if I get better results next time

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

One of the challenges I see wtih fiber mesh brows is that they stand out. Perhaps it is the coloration, or the fact that they are now a model, but they seem to be the more 'noticiable' than I think they should be.. Real brows tend to blend into the face a bit more. Perhaps the colors need to be lighter or more variable or even slightly transparent.

At any rate, these are some of the nicer demonstrations of brows I've seen. 

I think one of the issues is we are so used to seeing painted on brows on textures that anything different from that looks off

That's possible. 

Lately, brows have not been agreeing with me. Female brows have been too plucked and thin, and men's brows overly arched, and too dark and either too plucked dor too groucho marx. I don't mine the occiasonal character this way, but I don't want all characters to have sinister kohl-dark eyebrows like a b-movie villain. 

I also really like eyebrows that don't arch, but are more straight sort of benevolent looking. Gianni's eyebrows really appeal to me. The really arched look is too toony for me. 

Lyoness said:

I used the UHT2 product on the brows and they looked okay.  To be honest, I wasn't overly excited by the Oh My Brows look.  My regular brows look pretty good and these mostly just looked like monotone painted on brows.

I think I'll try it again and see if I get better results next time

...which brows are those?

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    edited June 2016
    seeker273 said:

I was eyeing Oh My Brows morphing fiberhair eyebrows at the other store  and I was wondering if anyones got it? I've been desperately looking for ways to make a Thranduil character and his eyebrows are his most dominant characteristic. This could be perfect! Can they be morphed to something resembling him you think?

Seeker, I put together a quickie freebie set of bushy brows that might work for you. They have a few simple morphs included. Download HERE

BigBrows.jpg
    1000 x 400 - 207K
    Post edited by Redz on
  • 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225

@Kerya :worship:  blush

Just finished some work blush  What Kerya said, kyoto kid blush

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,335
    edited June 2016

In general I am happy to see more artists starting to create hair add ons for the brows or even the face (peach fuzz etc.). smiley yes

Let's hope that artists start to team up and include custom fiber hair options with each character...

One of the challenges I see wtih fiber mesh brows is that they stand out. Perhaps it is the coloration, or the fact that they are now a model, but they seem to be the more 'noticiable' than I think they should be.. Real brows tend to blend into the face a bit more. Perhaps the colors need to be lighter or more variable or even slightly transparent.

-> Next step: Create or use a hair shader for Iray fiber mesh hair.

Hair shaders that work well with head hair may not necessarily also work for brows without adjustment. (!)

- - -

Basically there are two different material setups for hair:

Transmission

This works well with low resolution hair that uses a lot of planes and transparency maps.

Setting up a transmission based shaders creates the effect that multiple layers of hair cast shadows on each other.

This works similar as setting up materials for leaves when working with trees.

- - -

Refraction and Scattering

This works well for fiber mesh hair.

When you set up your material in your prefered render engine

- you first deceide how many light rays are reflected back to the environment and how many light rays are refracted at the surface and enter the hair.

- Then you deceide if there are further scattering events to alter the direction inside the hair material

- - -

Update / Edit: Adjusted image preview size width to 800px

Repost of the image to provide at least some illustration.

In this example you can observe how the Refraction part of the hair shader is very noticable in this specific light situation.

Adjust based on your own preferences and the style you want to achieve...

In any case Thomas explained the difference between Refraction, Subsurface Scattering and Transmission in this post:

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44943&p=222930#p222930

- - -

Users with more experience in Iray may be able to assist by coming up with some SSS based Hair shader for Iray...

- A shader for fiber mesh head hair may still use other parameters than a hair shader specifically for brows

- depending on the light situation of the scene you may want to adjust the settings of the hair shader further

- - -

Izarra v1015 by linvanoak OctaneRender passes 5333x3000 v1003.jpg
    5333 x 3000 - 3M
    Post edited by linvanchene on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Have to disagree with you there.  As a hairdresser I see folks up close and personal all the time and while some have very light eyebrows that seem less noticable, where I live it's a melting pot, and quite frankly I've seen some eyebrows, esp on men, that pop out more than just about any feature on their faces.  Young guys with thick, black or dark brown eyebrows (and I'm not talking about unibrows either). 

kyoto kid said:

LAMH player is free... and still supported.

Kendall

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited June 2016

linvanchene, did you mean to post just the tiny thumbnail for your example illustration? (Within the body of your post, I mean.)

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    kyoto kid said:

Kendall

As long as you're not using Garibaldi elsewhere in your scene, you should be able to use the LAMH player.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

I just bought Oh My Brows last night, after seeing a post here elsewhere.

From my limited testing, I am damn impressed and quite happy with my purchase. One of the best, non Daz store purchases I have made in a very long time.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

Brows using LAMH for many figures coming to the DAZ store soon.

Kendall

Define "soon", please, Mr Sears. I am interested to see these.

Someday I'll use that plugin and it will all make sense to me.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited June 2016

I think one of the issues is we are so used to seeing painted on brows on textures that anything different from that looks off

That's possible. 

Lately, brows have not been agreeing with me. Female brows have been too plucked and thin, and men's brows overly arched, and too dark and either too plucked dor too groucho marx. I don't mine the occiasonal character this way, but I don't want all characters to have sinister kohl-dark eyebrows like a b-movie villain. 

I also really like eyebrows that don't arch, but are more straight sort of benevolent looking. Gianni's eyebrows really appeal to me. The really arched look is too toony for me. 

The reason I used the dark brows on the image I posted farther up in the thread, is because with MOST people (but not all), the brows are the last hair on the body to go gray. Maybe because it doesn't renew nearly as fast as head and body hair and therefore isn't susceptible to the same "mutations" in the structure and color as head and body hair ;). Most of the guys in my family (the Italian side anyway), who are old enough to have gone gray on their heads still have eyebrows the same color as they did when young with maybe a stray gray here and there hidden in the brows. I do agree there needs to be variation in the color of the brows somehow that may make them look a little more natural, but looking at my own anyway, there really isn't much variation in color across the entire brow *shrug*.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited June 2016

Genetics and racial heritage play a big factor. After this conversation I scoped out the brows around me and most of my coworkers. Brows are thin (not size but in density) and some are quite light. Some brows are dark but none are pitch blue black or deep orange brown.  My supervisor who is Ivan's age has silvered and gray brows which blend in with his skin. Hairs are also irregular as age happens. None are deep blue or kohl black. There is a lot of variance  I mostly see dark brown Eyebrows. 

I have never seen male brows that  are quite as high and arched as many of the new releases for men I see.  I really don't like those nor did I care for the gen 2 eyebrows which were really exaggerated 

I don't like female skin resources used for guys and sometimes the men's brows resemble female skin resources.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
    kyoto kid said:

Just saw these and I think I want them. What is the best way for removing the painted brows in photoshop? Should I just cut and paste skin from the area surrounding the painted brows?

..I would use the "clone" and "heal" brushes as it is easier to match the nearby skin tones better. You only have to paint out one brow then you can copy the area and "flip" it to cover the other side.

3DLux, so Does Lactis also have female brows or just male ones for G2?

For now with G2 I have been using Skin Builder Pro which also includes eyebrows though they are flat like the painted on ones.

Cool. Thanks, id never heard of clone and heal before. Ill try that out.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited June 2016

Jeane (G3F base figure) with her 'Oh My Brows'. Brows, hair and eyelashes shaded with UHT2.

Jeane.png
    480 x 640 - 649K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889
    edited June 2016

Thanks for the tip about Alfred having brows... used them here:

Wish Oh My Brows was for G2, but I guess I'll just cross my fingers for LAMH 2.0 blowing the doors on that open. (Although with my luck all the eyebrows offered for it will be for Genesis 3)

Eyebrow man.png
    668 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251

Eyebrows on men can vary alot. Most men don't groom their brows to the same degree women do (if they do it at all). Some guys have really thick, dense brows. Others can be sparser, especially with age. Some are denser towards the bridge of the nose, then get sparser towards the outer brow (mine do that). The growth patterns vary, but usually aren't uniform direction. Really tricky to get a realistic look.

edited June 2016

@Kendall Sears:  great news yes  Hoping the brows will be for bith G2M and G3M  (or is that too much to hope for blush )

@timmins.william  You're very welcome and that's a great job- the brows, hair and goatee match perfectly! yes

@Redz  thank you so much for sharing the big brows :worship:  In my spare time used it to turn George into one of those old time bushy browed characters like John L. Lewis that you don't seem to see much of these days.  Also found out that men's eyebrows become more bushy with age but like Serene Night said genetics and racial heritage play a big factor on how bushy it gets, and probably the changing standards of beauty as well wink  Anyhoo, here's George, with Big Brows and two sets of Oh My Brows along with Laticis's Whiskers and Boris hair:

And a test I did last year when I trying to get my head around fibermesh brows and hair settings.  Am still trying blush

(Width corrected to 800 pixels.)

Post edited by Cris Palomino on

The brows that are on the way will cover characters from Genesis3 all the way back to the Generation4 figures.  There are also body hair, leg, arm, and armpit presets coming as well.

Kendall

WooHoo!  yeslaugh  Thank you so much, Kendall and looking forward to the products! yesangel

kyoto kid said:

Kendall

As long as you're not using Garibaldi elsewhere in your scene, you should be able to use the LAMH player.

...thanks and thank you for the warning.  For Iray I don't use Garibaldi as the .objs are way to "heavy" for the memory my system has.

• seeker273seeker273 Posts: 449
    Redz said:
    seeker273 said:

I was eyeing Oh My Brows morphing fiberhair eyebrows at the other store  and I was wondering if anyones got it? I've been desperately looking for ways to make a Thranduil character and his eyebrows are his most dominant characteristic. This could be perfect! Can they be morphed to something resembling him you think?

Seeker, I put together a quickie freebie set of bushy brows that might work for you. They have a few simple morphs included. Download HERE

WOW!!! Thank you so much! These are wonderful. I wish I knew how to do stuff like this :)

You're so nice for taking the time to help me out, many many thanks :)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Yes, thanks for those freebies. I also have Oh My Brows & will buy the LAHM brows when they are released.

I think the fibermesh brows make the characters look more unique and give them more personality. The only short coming I've seen in some brow models is that brow hair at the edges doesn't typical go from the course wiry brow hair to browless skin but becomes thinner and finer to a vellum hair edge sort of. The uniformity of color is almost a given although the thinner hairs can appear to be a lighter color because more light is able to travel through the shaft. Also brow color variation is mostly light reflectance not different colored brows, well until they turn white. Some women's brow follicles disappear partially with age because of a lifetime of plucking.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

3dlux, your pictures look fantastic.  I don't know how I missed them first time around!!!