Windows 10

win 10 totally changed my desktop. My Daz stuff is gone. Still on the hard drive, but no icons on my new unwanted desktop. Didn't ask for this change, but I got it. How do I get everything back? Don't know how to fix it. Thx everyone

Comments

• Win+Q

Search for DAZ. Right click and pin to start or taskbar.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

Go to the folder where your DAZ stuff is. Find the programs and folders that you want on your desktop, right-click on them and choose "Create a shortcut". Then left-click and hold on the new shortcut, slide it over to your desktop, and rename it by removing the word "shortcut".

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited June 2016
    jed244 said:

win 10 totally changed my desktop. My Daz stuff is gone. Still on the hard drive, but no icons on my new unwanted desktop. Didn't ask for this change, but I got it. How do I get everything back? Don't know how to fix it. Thx everyone

If you don't mind me asking, did an update do that or what?  I run Win 10, too. 

Post edited by Jan19 on

I apologize if that last post sounded off.  My computer has been lagging for two days, off and on, and that usually happens when a W10 update is straggling in.  I was wondering if I needed to be prepared for disappearing desktop icons -- just the thought makes me a tad unhappy.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919

My desktop icons are still there, I'm having to search for everything else though.

• jed244jed244 Posts: 18

It must've been an update. I've been using win 10 for several months. Everything was fine this morning. When I got home from work my desktop was completely different. My Daz icon is gone and my install manager as well. I'm not very geeky and I already miss playing with Daz. Don't know where to find my stuff or how to restore it. 

I found Daz. I have to reinstall all my stuff, though. My scenes are gone and my render library is empty. Microsoft shouldn't mess with your personal desktop and programs. I'm sure updates are necessary but this is just too invasive.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,753
    edited June 2016

I always create images of my system partitions when they are working well, then I can recover them very quickly if something goes wrong.

In general, never put data on your system drive, only programs, then you won't lose anything if Windows update mess up something or the system breaks down and needs to be restored, and data are always up to date if you restore/reinstall the system without having to restore them from a backup. Programs can easily be updated after a restore if you have copies of the installers on a separate drive. 

And of course, always back up any important data, in any case. 

Post edited by Taoz on
  • gederixgederix Posts: 390

A win10 update did this? How is this a thing that can happen? Have you tried going back to a previous restore point?

That's good advice, Taozen. I should've already done all those things. I have a lot to learn about backing up my data. But before Daz there was nothing I really needed to save. Now I have a couple of hundred dollars of stuff I don't want to lose. I didn't expect win 10 to do that. And,  yes, Gederex it did happen. I haven't tried going back to a previous restore point. That's another really good idea. I'll try that after work. Thx to everyone. 

edited June 2016
    jed244 said:

That's good advice, Taozen. I should've already done all those things. I have a lot to learn about backing up my data. But before Daz there was nothing I really needed to save. Now I have a couple of hundred dollars of stuff I don't want to lose. I didn't expect win 10 to do that. And,  yes, Gederex it did happen. I haven't tried going back to a previous restore point. That's another really good idea. I'll try that after work. Thx to everyone. 

Strange things can happen after W10 updates.  That big huge one -- one of the first ones -- froze my computer, trying to install itself.  I spent hours trying everything I could think of -- only thing that restored the computer then was:  1) divine intervention or 2) W10 repaired itself.  I finally let the computer alone, and after awhile the desktop popped up, hallelujah.

Thanks for the answer, jed!

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • 3delinquent3delinquent Posts: 355

Is there any way to stop W10 from downloading whenever it likes and installing whenever it pleases? Since my parents hit the free update to Win10 button, they've had the computer back to the pc place four times to fix problems it causes that they don't understand or know anything about. That particular PC shop has a constant stream of aged pensioners coming in with the same problem. They do a ridiculous amount of work gratis or those people wouldn't be able to use computers they payed thousands of dollars for.

Does putting an 'I agree' button in your software really absolve you from accepting any responsibility for problems your software causes? I've seen posts where people suggest they have overnight or longer renders interrupted. If that's a commission how is it afforded? How do businesses that have computers working online avoid the problem? I find it unacceptable as a hobbyist. If I were a proffessional and that cost me time, I'd be asking how I'm supposed to wear that?

To me it just says a lot about the integrity of an organisation that has decided it wants to do things this way. Computers are supposed to be so great and do so much for us and make so much possible. Microsoft sells itself the way it does and they can't do his better? As a computer ignoramus I have a choice of Windows or Mac. And when I have to go to the polls and vote for dumb or dumber they tell me that's a choice as well. 

So :) with that rant out of the way, is there?...any way to control when and how the update stuff happens, or even stop it if you choose?

Is there any way to stop W10 from downloading whenever it likes and installing whenever it pleases? Since my parents hit the free update to Win10 button, they've had the computer back to the pc place four times to fix problems it causes that they don't understand or know anything about. That particular PC shop has a constant stream of aged pensioners coming in with the same problem. They do a ridiculous amount of work gratis or those people wouldn't be able to use computers they payed thousands of dollars for.

Does putting an 'I agree' button in your software really absolve you from accepting any responsibility for problems your software causes? I've seen posts where people suggest they have overnight or longer renders interrupted. If that's a commission how is it afforded? How do businesses that have computers working online avoid the problem? I find it unacceptable as a hobbyist. If I were a proffessional and that cost me time, I'd be asking how I'm supposed to wear that?

To me it just says a lot about the integrity of an organisation that has decided it wants to do things this way. Computers are supposed to be so great and do so much for us and make so much possible. Microsoft sells itself the way it does and they can't do his better? As a computer ignoramus I have a choice of Windows or Mac. And when I have to go to the polls and vote for dumb or dumber they tell me that's a choice as well. 

So :) with that rant out of the way, is there?...any way to control when and how the update stuff happens, or even stop it if you choose?

I don't know, but if there is a way, I haven't found it.  And I understand your parents' situation.  My mother asked me if she should upgrade to W10 because it's free, and I said, "No, please don't."

I like W10, but somehow I can muddle thru the update snags.  My mother can't, bless her heart.

How does business handle it? Do you just make sure the computer is offline before you start something you can't afford to be interrupted? Can there still be already downloaded updates that will install when W10 decides it's a good time even if you're offline?

How does business handle it? Do you just make sure the computer is offline before you start something you can't afford to be interrupted? Can there still be already downloaded updates that will install when W10 decides it's a good time even if you're offline?

I haven't looked into that.  I did think I was going to have to call a tech, after my update glitch, but the computer repaired itself somehow.  Anyway, I intended to ask the tech what he thought of W10 and did he use W10 at his business, but ended up not having to go that route.  Thankfully.  I hate hauling this computer to town, waiting for it to be fixed, and re-hooking all the cords up.  I seem to have a dozen cords.  No idea what half of them go to. blush

Yep, if that plug fits in there and it works when I turn it on, then it's all good! :D

• TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited June 2016

I don't think you can control what Windows 10 updates - You can stop it just deciding to restart by going to settings - advanced options & choosing notify to schedule restart.

When its done its update it will tell you it will restart at a time it decides is good for you based on normal activity but you can change that time to much later or restart straight away so it won't interfere with your work or render.

Post edited by Tottallou on

Settings and control panel is like a maze to me but I found that. Thanks.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,836

Businesses handle it by (a) having the Enterprise edition of Windows if they're big enough, or (b) Windows 7/10 Professional if they're smaller. The Professional and Enterprise editions allow you to opt out of the forced updates happening the way they do for Windows Home users. If you're running Windows Professional, you only have 30 days, I believe, to apply an update before Microsoft considers you to be out of warranty; if you're running the Enterprise edition, you can opt out and schedule things whenever you need. Most larger businesses, whether it's Win7 or Win10, flatly refuse to run updates when Microsoft wants them to, because they need to test the updates against their custom and/or specialized software before letting it go forward.

I've been playing whack-a-mole with the Windows 10 updater for weeks now, kicking it out of updates and re-hiding it on a biweekly basis. At least there should only be a couple more weeks of that before the free update period is over and they'll hopefully leave me alone about it.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited June 2016

Most business have not switched to W10.  The company i work for is still using W7. Big companies that have contracts with Microsoft for office can get the corporate version of W10 that does not have the telemetry features that is logging all the websites you visit and sending them home to MS.  It also has modified update that allows the IT department to pick and chose updates to install and control when they happen. 

Post edited by mark128 on
    edited June 2016

Yep, if that plug fits in there and it works when I turn it on, then it's all good! :D

Yes. smiley​  I keep thinking I'll wind the orphan cord ends around whatever they go to, but I never do that.

-- Interesting info about W10 and businesses.  I'd read some weren't upgrading yet.

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • vwrangler said:

Businesses handle it by (a) having the Enterprise edition of Windows if they're big enough, or (b) Windows 7/10 Professional if they're smaller. The Professional and Enterprise editions allow you to opt out of the forced updates happening the way they do for Windows Home users. If you're running Windows Professional, you only have 30 days, I believe, to apply an update before Microsoft considers you to be out of warranty; if you're running the Enterprise edition, you can opt out and schedule things whenever you need. Most larger businesses, whether it's Win7 or Win10, flatly refuse to run updates when Microsoft wants them to, because they need to test the updates against their custom and/or specialized software before letting it go forward.

I've been playing whack-a-mole with the Windows 10 updater for weeks now, kicking it out of updates and re-hiding it on a biweekly basis. At least there should only be a couple more weeks of that before the free update period is over and they'll hopefully leave me alone about it.

Six weks - the offer ends, if they don';t change their minds, on July 29th. Though I have foudn turning off Recommended Updates has stopped me from getting upgraded, if not the pop-up reminders. I am however intending to try Windows 10 before the offer expires.

vwrangler said:

Six weks - the offer ends, if they don';t change their minds, on July 29th. Though I have foudn turning off Recommended Updates has stopped me from getting upgraded, if not the pop-up reminders. I am however intending to try Windows 10 before the offer expires.

Are you still on limited bandwidth, Richard?  If that's the same as limited downloads, you might have to up your dl amount.  I did, partly because W10 kept updating, and MS isn't stingy with the gigabyte.   

• Jan19 said:
    vwrangler said:

Are you still on limited bandwidth, Richard?  If that's the same as limited downloads, you might have to up your dl amount.  I did, partly because W10 kept updating, and MS isn't stingy with the gigabyte.   

That is a worry, yes. Wireless connections can be marked as metered, but not (as far as I know) wired connections which is what I have on thsi machine. Still, we will have two Windows 10 machines in the house (assuming both update OK) so I can enable the update-sharing on the local network and hope that the laptop does some of the downloading when it's away from home.

Jan19 said:
    vwrangler said:

That is a worry, yes. Wireless connections can be marked as metered, but not (as far as I know) wired connections which is what I have on thsi machine. Still, we will have two Windows 10 machines in the house (assuming both update OK) so I can enable the update-sharing on the local network and hope that the laptop does some of the downloading when it's away from home.

Well, good luck. :-)  The base W10 download is pretty hefty, if I remember right, and there was one major update that was 3 gigs large.

• Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:
    vwrangler said:

Well, good luck. :-)  The base W10 download is pretty hefty, if I remember right, and there was one major update that was 3 gigs large.

Base was about 3.6 as an .iso, I hope that includes at least the big SP update.

Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:
    vwrangler said:

Base was about 3.6 as an .iso, I hope that includes at least the big SP update.

It ought to, unless the base is really outdated. 

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995

Ummm.  As far as Microsoft is concerned using a "Home" version for business is outside the EULA.  If using Windows (any version) for Commercial or Business purposes you are expected to buy a "Professional" or better license.

Kendall

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,077

Ummm.  As far as Microsoft is concerned using a "Home" version for business is outside the EULA.  If using Windows (any version) for Commercial or Business purposes you are expected to buy a "Professional" or better license.

Kendall

And there are other constraints. The outfit I retired from is running the SAP/R3 ERP package on an Oracle database on IBM RS/6000 servers. SAP (if you want support) dictates what version of internet explorer and MS-Office you will run. AFAIK, they just finished rolling out Windows 7 late last year. Based on past experience, I'd bet that SAP isn't even looking at Windows 10 yet.

So there's no W10 Professional or Business version?  I guess that'd explain why some business owners seem unfamiliar w/W10.