Animation Thread

PhoenixDeFalcoPhoenixDeFalco Posts: 71
edited June 2016 in Art Studio
Hey, all! Phoenix DeFalco here. So, recently I've become interested in the world of 3D Animation using DAZ Studio and Blender. So I was hoping to start a thread for people to post some of their inspiring work involving animation. I'd love for this to become a sort of Animation Gallery! XD If you're willing to contribute to this thread I would be most appreciative! I'm thinking GIF format would be most efficient, but I'm no expert of course. If you do post an Animation though, please include the following: Title, Software used, and also a short description of the piece (that last bit is optional of course, but I think it would really be a way to add to the inspiration of your piece.) Thanks!
~* PhoenixDeFalco *~
Post edited by PhoenixDeFalco on

Comments

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222

Great idea.  This is my YT playlist of animations made with DS, Poser and Vue  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLetlA0vH-RXmaIEk4JkT2LJZsUa4A-dBI

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Well, here is an animation, not really titled but labeled "Mikoto Walking"...my first try at a basic walk cycle, and use of VWD for the dynamics in Daz on a confirming t-shirt dress.  Limited the Iray render per frame to 30 seconds, so it would render faster, so its a little grainy:

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

good thread idea!

3dOutlaw: nice job! Your work is wonderfully clean/elegant. (the little character in your signature is cute as well!)

--ms

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,159
    edited December 2016

Yup its a very good Idea for a animation thread, we use to have a animation forum in the old forum set up  which was a great help to people starting out in animation and a place for all to share our animation work & ask questions and share stuff. . but since daz blended the animation forum into the art forum it will fade into the art forum like the other animation threads people have created  unless you can get a mod to sticky this thread.

@ Mindsong I hope you don't mind me asking you this question.  I always wondered this  because I have seen you around on diffrent sites. rating and commenting on mine & other peoples animation work.  but I have never seen anything you have done not even a render or I may missed it if you have posted it. . I would really like to see your work someday if you don't mind showing us all. you always talk like you really have some good exprience and thats how a lot of people learn by watching what others have done.. and  add that to how much I love to watch all types of animation. Especially if its Anime content.  Do you have any animations to share?   I'm pretty sure you already know this, But you can find all my animation on my Youtube if your interested seeing all my works .

Post edited by Ivy on
  • DekeDeke Posts: 1,616
    My work in progress. Toughest part to get down is the whole lip-sync thing...
  • david_macraedavid_macrae Posts: 109
    edited December 2016

@3doutlaw I really love your 3d rendered anime style characters. It makes me think of what a disney movie made with anime characters would look like. And the way 3d anime should look in the future.

Post edited by david_macrae on

Heh, Ivy!

I love your stuff (I've seen most all of it at least once), appreciate your curiousity, and I promise I'll let you know when there's something to see.

(FWIW, I don't think I've ever rated anyone who's put something out there low - I'd say nothing if I didn't like it, and I *really* hope my 'talk' is constructive/useful. Most everyone in here kicks butt and are generous and near-genius! If I ever come across as snooty, I apologize profusely, as I'm certain for every tidbit I've learned in 3D, there's 100 more things I've yet to figure out!, and I think that list is growing!)

Looking forward to your next production, as well as everyone else's.

My animation inspirations are you, ghidghid, david_macrae, 3D-outlaw's style, joe pingleton, dimension-theory, mmoir, stezza, bigh, dart, dudu, and wendy-loves-cats, of course! Others as well, RWBY, A1-studios, dreamlight, and the usual pixar/dreamworks/disney folks. Most anything on cgbrothers channel. I could go on, but should probably get some more animating done so I can walk my talk. To those I didn't mention, props to you for your work, and you can be pretty sure I've seen and enjoyed your productions!

This'd be a good place to thank you Ivy, for all of your contributions in the neigborhood here. Advice, opinions, comments/critiques, and of course Karate-Girl rox! All good stuff and indicates a good generous heart.

cheers to all,

--ms

Thanks Mindsong!  Thanks David, like your Witchhunter stuff too, its sort of RWBY-ish!  :)

edited December 2016
    mindsong said:

Heh, Ivy!

I love your stuff (I've seen most all of it at least once), appreciate your curiousity, and I promise I'll let you know when there's something to see.

(FWIW, I don't think I've ever rated anyone who's put something out there low - I'd say nothing if I didn't like it, and I *really* hope my 'talk' is constructive/useful. Most everyone in here kicks butt and are generous and near-genius! If I ever come across as snooty, I apologize profusely, as I'm certain for every tidbit I've learned in 3D, there's 100 more things I've yet to figure out!, and I think that list is growing!)

Looking forward to your next production, as well as everyone else's.

My animation inspirations are you, ghidghid, david_macrae, 3D-outlaw's style, joe pingleton, dimension-theory, mmoir, stezza, bigh, dart, dudu, and wendy-loves-cats, of course! Others as well, RWBY, A1-studios, dreamlight, and the usual pixar/dreamworks/disney folks. Most anything on cgbrothers channel. I could go on, but should probably get some more animating done so I can walk my talk. To those I didn't mention, props to you for your work, and you can be pretty sure I've seen and enjoyed your productions!

This'd be a good place to thank you Ivy, for all of your contributions in the neigborhood here. Advice, opinions, comments/critiques, and of course Karate-Girl rox! All good stuff and indicates a good generous heart.

cheers to all,

--ms

@Mindsong  I hope I didn't offend you & think I was applying anything i have just noticed you around the other forums, and I have never seen any of your work  your comments are always very polite,constructive and full of expertise & praise  that is why I was wondering if you had any work to share. I was hoping to see something new I could learn from.  like you said that is how most people learn is by watching what other people have done , Thank you for your reply.

@Deke  ,Hi Dale , I watched your animation about 20 times you did a really great job on it. I was even the first person to subbed your youtube channel , because really I look forward to seeing more of your work.I happen to be weird and love all types of animation and i am always amazed at what people can do.   Keep up the good work my friend.

@3dOutlaw  I have been following your render works for years. you are one of the FIRST people that got me interesting in poser and daz when i found your web site.one day many many moons ago.. I'm glad your expanding into animation .& it looks like you have a good start :)

Post edited by Ivy on
  • There used to be a dedicated aniamtion forum on the old forum so this is a great idea and long overdue.  I always enjoy watching what you all produce. 

edited December 2016

This link is a playlist of 28 assorted animations I have done

and this link is a playlist of 20 animations from my Karate Girl Adventure series.

I have 68 in all on my site , Please enjoy :)

Post edited by Ivy on

Did the moderators move this from the NEW thread?  If so I wish they hadn't. Or I wish they'd create ANIMATION heading and not simply ART STUDIO.  It would be nice to let New Users know folks use daz for animation.

@Deke - there was one, then the forum admins consolidated it into this thread. Too bad, as I thought the original main-topic was pretty active and warranted its own high-level status. Animation is a beast in its own-right, so stuffing in with the rest of the mix was kind of a bummer (no offense to the 'rest of the mix'-ers!)

@Ivy - absolutely no offense taken, as I think I read your original request with the right tone, but you got me paranoid... Maybe I'm one of those poor jerks that doesn't realize I'm a jerk... lol...

More frames!

--ms

@deke - wow! your production is great! Did you use DS for this?

Things that stand-out for me:

- The photo-real characters - best I've seen as far as rendering believe-ability. Most of us don't set the quality settings that high. What was your average render-time per frame?

- The outside lighting/shadows in the cockpit were a great authenticity touch. I usually cheat with more ambient, and it shows.

- the constant character idles and expressions keep your scenes alive. Even when a character isn't the main element of a shot, they're interacting with the scene - I've noticed that in real-life, nobody sits still, and you captured that! (DS/Aniblocks/?)

- the lip-sync is pretty durned good. I especially like the facial expressions woven into their dialog.

- your editing choices and camera angles struck a good balance between being lively, but not spastic. Some nice style choices too: e.g. Great transition from the captain speaking to the space-station off the planet ~1:36, and you nailed the floating space-station dude anti-grav effect!

Good stuff!

--ms

Thanks.  I'm pushing myself to kick things up a notch. It's all in DS. Really it was the addition of Iray rendering that made me tackle a more ambitious project. I'm still wroking to get the character's eyes perfect with watery reflections. And there is the issue of lip-sinc which I'm still toying with.  

I do render in layers and comp the layers in After Effects. This helps adjust lighting and sometimes I can even get away with a still background frame. I try to keep render to under 2 min a frame, but I'm using a pretty burly if older Mac Pro with some good graphics cards. 

If there is one thing I've found in studying animation and experimenting on my own its the need to keep things moving. That means more angles, more takes, and some movement in every shot.  A static life action shot is just  static shot, but a static animation shot looks like a mistake.  

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited December 2016

Hey 3dOutlaw,  nice animation of a walk cycle.  Are you a Carrara user? Your username rings a bell.  

3dOutlaw said:

Well, here is an animation, not really titled but labeled "Mikoto Walking"...my first try at a basic walk cycle, and use of VWD for the dynamics in Daz on a confirming t-shirt dress.  Limited the Iray render per frame to 30 seconds, so it would render faster, so its a little grainy:

I agree wholeheartedly.

mindsong said:

good thread idea!

3dOutlaw: nice job! Your work is wonderfully clean/elegant. (the little character in your signature is cute as well!)

--ms

Ivy, You have done lots of animations , nice stuff.

Here is a movie I did using  Carrara Studio .

And here are some short movies a carrara animation group of users created . The intent was to make movie as a group.

Carrara animation club movie3

Movie #2 Spooky Nite final movie.

Movie #1  final movie.

Post edited by mmoir on
    mmoir said:

Hey 3dOutlaw,  nice animation of a walk cycle.  Are you a Carrara user? Your username rings a bell.  

3dOutlaw said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

mindsong said:

good thread idea!

--ms

Ivy, You have done lots of animations , nice stuff.

Here is a movie I did using  Carrara Studio .

And here are some short movies a carrara animation group of users created . The intent was to make movie as a group.

Carrara animation club movie3

Movie #2 Spooky Nite final movie.

Movie #1  final movie.

Hi mr moir, Thank you very much for your nice comments. I appreacite it alot.  I've been following your animations for a little while i think its neat what you guys can do with Carrara, I like your last post of the group animation you did that turned out realy well too :)

• Hey, everyone! I know i haven't been online in a long time, and i wish i could say i've been hard at work in the workshop creating new art pieces, but I'd be lying...Unfortunately, about 6 months, tragedy struck my artist world: I suffered a sudden, and catastrophic hard disk drive failure, and lost EVERYTHING on the drive...All of my props, all of my figures, items, downloaded content, and new creations, gone, in the blink of an eye...Since then, I have been scrounging around, trying to acquire a new hard drive. I finally accomplished that about 2 months ago. I have yet to begin the monumental task of reacquiring the massive, 200gb+ library of downloaded figures, props, conforming items, programs, etc. that I lost. Rest assured, however, I am hard at work, and will soon begin producing the artistic pieces i once was creating. In the meantime, I am so happy that this thread has been getting the attention it has. I started it on a whim, not really anticipating such a flood of amazing, beautiful, and inspiring animations! I look forward to seeing more, and can't wait to contribute some of my own works, when I am able to do so once more. Thank you all! Happy holidays!

~* Phoenix DeFalco *~

• Hey, all! Phoenix again. So, i got myself thinking (never a good sign. wierd things happen in my brain...), and i thought, "you know, why not try my hand at hosting a little contest of my own?" So, I decided to do just that. No prizes right now, just for fun. If this is not a good idea, let me know, but right now, I think I would like to try this thing...So here I go! For this first month, I'm not gonna do December, because December is almost gone. But because Animation is not like just still renders, where you spend time on just one frame, and also because we're a week away from Christmas, I figured I would give you guys some extra time to do an animation for a contest entry, if you want to. Here's the theme I came up with for January 2017: New Beginnings. Something that symbolizes the renewal that comes with the new year...Deadline is gonna be set to January 31, 2017 at 11:59:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5:00). Let me know what you guys think! Peace out and happy rendering! Happy holidays!

• gotta put up a prize cheeky

to get the fish to bite,

Gift Certificates are often on sale enlightened

not saying as I want but if you want takers thats how you reel em in

• gotta put up a prize cheeky

to get the fish to bite,

unfortunately, as I am right now, I cannot afford to provide a prize for this contest...That's why I meant for it to be just for fun...But if that's really how everyone feels, I'll wait until I have the ability to provide prizes...

• not everyone maybe

I might toss something up wink

PhoenixDeFalco,  I  don't think you need a prize but it would help thats for sure.  I would be interested in participating in this.  

gotta put up a prize cheeky

to get the fish to bite,

unfortunately, as I am right now, I cannot afford to provide a prize for this contest...That's why I meant for it to be just for fun...But if that's really how everyone feels, I'll wait until I have the ability to provide prizes...

• To everyone following this thread. I have just been messaged by a user by the name of nesch who has volunteered a $100.00 gift card to the winner of an animation contest! So if you feel up to submitting an entry, you could win $100.00 to spend on the DAZ Store! Be sure to enter today, if you're interested! Remember the contest theme: New Beginnings. Something that symbolizes the renewal that comes with the new year...Deadline is gonna be set to January 31, 2017 at 11:59:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5:00).

Good luck all!

mmoir said:

Hi, yea I used to be a big Carrara Fan, made my first animation with it, on my Youtube. ...but I gave it up.  Poser, as well.  Now I just use DS, which ain't great for animation, but I only make simple ones, at best these days.  Nice to be remembered! laugh

• I might give this a try.  I'm still at the very beginnings of learning animation so simple stuff right now so we'll see how I do.  It won't be great, I can tell you that right now, but I definitely want to try an participate in an animation thread.

This is a cute toon animation i did for a client that wish me to share it with you all for the holiday.

• Hatsune MikuHatsune Miku Posts: 849
    edited January 2017

Some of my anims

Post edited by Hatsune Miku on

PhoenixDeFalco,

If you still plan on having the animation contest I would announce it somewhere.  

To everyone following this thread. I have just been messaged by a user by the name of nesch who has volunteered a $100.00 gift card to the winner of an animation contest! So if you feel up to submitting an entry, you could win $100.00 to spend on the DAZ Store! Be sure to enter today, if you're interested! Remember the contest theme: New Beginnings. Something that symbolizes the renewal that comes with the new year...Deadline is gonna be set to January 31, 2017 at 11:59:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5:00).

Good luck all!

• mmoir said:

PhoenixDeFalco,

If you still plan on having the animation contest I would announce it somewhere.  

To everyone following this thread. I have just been messaged by a user by the name of nesch who has volunteered a $100.00 gift card to the winner of an animation contest! So if you feel up to submitting an entry, you could win $100.00 to spend on the DAZ Store! Be sure to enter today, if you're interested! Remember the contest theme: New Beginnings. Something that symbolizes the renewal that comes with the new year...Deadline is gonna be set to January 31, 2017 at 11:59:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5:00).

Good luck all!

Where might you suggest announcing it?